Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Anger Management Crit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 03:00 PM
OC Roadie
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 60cycle
i was about 5 spots back from the victory salute carnage in cat 5. i had heard that an ill timed celebration caused the spill. there was another 2 laps or so earlier, coming out of turn 4.

on a side note, this was my first time competing in a race, and my first time attending. i stayed to see the pro 1/2 race. it was very fast, and i had a great time...
Congrats on your first race, and nice job avoiding the carnage
Old 02-13-06, 03:28 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was about 5 spots back from the victory salute carnage in cat 5. i had heard that an ill timed celebration caused the spill. there was another 2 laps or so earlier, coming out of turn 4.

on a side note, this was my first time competing in a race, and my first time attending. i stayed to see the pro 1/2 race. it was very fast, and i had a great time...

Man that is no way to finish a race!!!!! Good job keeping out of trouble and finishing your first event. I hate crits, but I'm a big sissy. One thing about racing here as opposed to Cali is we have more RR's than crits. I enjoy the RR sooo much more!
Old 02-13-06, 03:55 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm racing a rr on march 18, the second stage of three... i'm really looking forward to it. 40 rolling miles on the second stage of three. we'll see how it goes...
Old 02-13-06, 03:57 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm racing a rr on march 18, the second stage of three... i'm really looking forward to it. 40 rolling miles on the second stage of three. we'll see how it goes...

Where is the course?
Old 02-13-06, 04:31 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in san dimas. formerly the pomona valley stage race.
Old 02-13-06, 05:44 PM
bigdraft

Bikes: Arnold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the 50+ race and had a great time. Lots of fast, stable guys who keep is calm in the corners. We had a full field of 75 riders and we had a good race. I really like the new course too. It's fun and not your standard 4 corner industrial park crit. No weirdness as far as I experienced, except for the raised manhole cover hump in turn 3.

I saw that victory salute crash in the 5s. On a similar cat 5 note, I see that a number of masters races in here S. Cal are excluding cat 5s. I applaud this move very much.
Old 02-13-06, 06:11 PM
OC Roadie
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdraft
I did the 50+ race and had a great time. Lots of fast, stable guys who keep is calm in the corners. We had a full field of 75 riders and we had a good race. I really like the new course too. It's fun and not your standard 4 corner industrial park crit. No weirdness as far as I experienced, except for the raised manhole cover hump in turn 3.

I saw that victory salute crash in the 5s. On a similar cat 5 note, I see that a number of masters races in here S. Cal are excluding cat 5s. I applaud this move very much.
I don't know if it was the manhole cover or the blue reflector dot in turn three, but something in that turn caused my rear wheel to go airborne and skip a few inches, scared the crap out of me , but turned out fine. The course was very fun and fast. I can't believe how Malcom rode off the front of the 50+ like he did, actually, not too hard to believe, he's in our morning group ride and is one strong bad a$$.
Old 02-13-06, 06:13 PM
60cycle
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdraft

well after seeing the way things can go with 5's i understand your applause.
Old 02-13-06, 06:51 PM
bigdraft

Bikes: Arnold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC Roadie
I don't know if it was the manhole cover or the blue reflector dot in turn three, but something in that turn caused my rear wheel to go airborne and skip a few inches, scared the crap out of me , but turned out fine. The course was very fun and fast. I can't believe how Malcom rode off the front of the 50+ like he did, actually, not too hard to believe, he's in our morning group ride and is one strong bad a$$.
That turn 3 hump was a manhole cover, but the way they built up around it made it very subtle to see, but when your rear hits it, whoops, there it goes. I had intentionally rode over on the warmup lap and noticed it effect. But it's exactly what happened to me on the last two laps. I had managed to aviod it all race, and then somehow I get taken into it and my rear did the same thing yours did. No real harm, it just threw me to the outside of my line and lost a few places as a result.

Yeah, Malcom sure has some talent, but also there wasn't any concerted chase either. This is not to take nothing away from Malcom's fine solo, but I tried to chase for about a 3/4 of a lap, and when I pulled off, no one seemed to want to come thru and continue the chase. As it was, the fight for second was tough enough. Dale Ludke took the sprint for 2nd and I ended up 21st.

Kudos to Malcom for sure. His team looks like they are going to have a lot of successes again this year.