Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 12:03 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Interesting picture SpeedofLite , thanks . In 83' Centurion introduced the Turbo Centurion Turbo (non aero) . What are the bikes in the picture ?
Dura Ace AX, looks like Turbo seat stay caps, but the Comp TA caps were similar.
My guess is one or the other. markwesti , you have a TA, insight?
Old 07-17-22, 01:26 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
bamboobike4 Hi , I built a Comp TA a while back . It was set up with a frame and fork by a banned BFer , it was a fun build . My thought was to get it to look stock as possible . In the end I sold it because it was a bit big for me , I ride a 56cm and it was a 58cm .
IMG_0142 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0147 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_0151 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited by markwesti; 07-24-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 07:45 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Based on the pics, looks like those are Comp TA’s with either DA AX or 600AX.
Old 07-18-22, 06:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The lighting in the add is probably playing tricks on me. The 2 bikes look like they have different seatstays and fork crowns. Doesn't look like a Turbo. 83 Turbo has a straight rear brake bridge. 84 has a curved one. Here's the 79 catalog. I'll try to find something for the 81/82 years.

https://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/...log-full79.pdf

Last edited by seypat; 07-18-22 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 06:26 AM
seypat

It also appears that the headtube decal is the TRN logo on the team's jerseys. I think the standard headtube decal on 82 models was a metal badge. My wife's 82 mixte has one along with other 82's I find on the net.
Old 07-18-22, 06:35 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
This one popped up in Bicycling, July 1982 issue. Thought the Centurion aficionados would appreciate a copy.

Here's a more important question about this photo. Are those World Champion stripes on the caps? If so, was Centurion taking liberties with the ad or did they actually earn them?
Old 07-18-22, 08:55 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Here's a more important question about this photo. Are those World Champion stripes on the caps? If so, was Centurion taking liberties with the ad or did they actually earn them?
Silly, they were on sale.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-24-22, 06:40 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Ironman update news….

1. Monday night shootout: I’ve never averaged 20 mph, outside of a triathlon leg, and certainly not in the last 10 years, and not on the shootout. Took the Ironman out last Monday, decided to start solo, sort of chased a guy, was joined by his three friends, who laid down the rules: 1-min pulls, no jumping out. I joined. After about 10 miles, I heard “spot on.” I figured I’d last a while and then drop. 10 became 20, and I hear “we are at 20.7 (I was just watching and riding.). Next thing I know, we’re rolling in, 29.76 miles at 20.6 mph. They brought out the beer, and said they’d tried for well over a year, could not crack it with 4 guys, but 5 was the charm. The very next questions were about the Ironman.

2. I signed up a couple of weeks ago for a TdF party (today.)
12 indoor CompuTrainers and we all did the Prologue, probably 40 riders.
2-man teams, chosen at random. I brought the Ironman. UPDATE from the results: 21.7, team placed third and $100 for me!
(UPDATE: 2 locals' named drawn from a hat, then a Pro added. Times from the Prologue and our same run of the same course were added together. My local teammate was a fast guy, and my Pro was Pogacar! My job (unbeknownst to me) was, I guess, not to "lose it too badly."

One of the guys was there with his sons and grandsons (who won).
All he wanted to talk about was the Ironman.

Bonus: talking to a nice couple about our age, his pride and joy is his 2013 Colnago Master.
We traded phone pics like a pair of grandfathers. His wife was eye-rolling and laughing.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 07-25-22 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Update on the TT...
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-24-22, 08:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Surely, this was not that surprising.
I mean, Ironman.
Old 07-25-22, 08:41 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by bamboobike4
1. Monday night shootout: I’ve never averaged 20 mph, outside of a triathlon leg, and certainly not in the last 10 years, and not on the shootout. Took the Ironman out last Monday, decided to start solo, sort of chased a guy, was joined by his three friends, who laid down the rules: 1-min pulls, no jumping out. I joined. After about 10 miles, I heard “spot on.” I figured I’d last a while and then drop. 10 became 20, and I hear “we are at 20.7 (I was just watching and riding.). Next thing I know, we’re rolling in, 29.76 miles at 20.6 mph. They brought out the beer, and said they’d tried for well over a year, could not crack it with 4 guys, but 5 was the charm. The very next questions were about the Ironman.

2. I signed up a couple of weeks ago for a TdF party (today.)
12 indoor CompuTrainers and we all did the Prologue, probably 40 riders.
2-man teams, chosen at random. I brought the Ironman. 20.7, team placed third and $100 for me!

One of the guys was there with his sons and grandsons (who won).
All he wanted to talk about was the Ironman.

Bonus: talking to a nice couple about our age, his pride and joy is his 2013 Colnago Master.
We traded phone pics like a pair of grandfathers. His wife was eye-rolling and laughing.
Sounds like a fun time!
Old 07-25-22, 10:25 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Sounds like a fun time!
UPDATE from the TT results: 21.7 mph.
UPDATE from the event rules: 2 locals' named drawn from a hat, then a Pro added.
Times from the Prologue and our same run of the same course were added together.
My local teammate was a fast guy, and my Pro was Pogacar!
My job (unbeknownst to me) was, I guess, not to "lose it too badly."

I'd go back to the Monday Night shootout tonight, but I had one of those "zero mph" crashed yesterday on my gravel bike.
Not familiar with SPD's, I decided to climb a short gravel driveway, crossed by a concrete path. I got to the top, realized the concrete path had about a 3" lip. I turned L, realized I was not going to make it, and then realized I couldn't get out of the SPD pedals. Over I went, like Henry Gibson on Laugh-In. Concrete makes great sandpaper, so I'm taking it easy today. My schedule for the Triple Bypass says "Rest," so I will.

Last edited by bamboobike4; 07-26-22 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-25-22, 11:44 AM
seypat

Not IM related, but somewhat cycling related and inspirational. Saturday we had a tough MTT route over parts of the marathon course. Some of the course routes along the James River. If you look at the included map, the route by the river on Old Gun on one end, to downtown across the bridges on the other end is the most popular cycling route in Richmond. You also have downtown where the World Championships were held. If you go down to the river, you have to climb off it. Cherokee all the way to Old Gun/Robius is a climb. The part of the route on upper Riverside between mile 4 and 6 is full of these curvy up/downs with some punchy climbs. The Nickel Bridge(the first one we went over) is a decent climb, no matter which way you're going. The 2nd bridge is the Lee which is part of the Marathon course. BB4 might know about that bridge. I think the Tour Of Richmond bike ride went along Riverside, so rccardr might have ridden that part as well. There's an elevation tab at the bottom of the map.

Anyway, as I was headed down to the middle of the Nickel/river, I came upon an MTT gentleman older than I rolling along around a 10:30 pace. The bridge flattened out and we began the climb up to the other side. I slowed of course, and we chatted a bit. It was Dewey, a local fixture on the running scene. Dewey is 84 years young! He's not one of the original's, but close to it. There's only one left that has run every Richmond Marathon. A few of them switched to the half a few years ago when they hit their mid 80's. One had a cycling accident and had to give up running. Still cycling. Dewey was looking strong. No limps, or hunches or those kind of things. Plenty of muscle tone also. He said he gets a little slower each year, but good otherwise. I barely made it to the crest of the climb on the other side without walking. I turned around as I transitioned onto upper Riverside. I had only gapped Dewey by 50-60 yards! I hope that I can make it to his age, and be in the kind of shape he's in. If we stay off the couch and take care of ourselves, maybe we all can make it that far.

https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/ZJRlbFkiY1

Last edited by seypat; 07-25-22 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-25-22, 11:51 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Not IM related, but somewhat cycling related and inspirational. Saturday we had a tough MTT route over parts of the marathon course. Some of the course routes along the James River. If you look at the included map, the route by the river on Old Gun on one end, to downtown across the bridges on the other end is the most popular cycling route in Richmond. You also have downtown where the World Championships were held. If you go down to the river, you have to climb off it. Cherokee all the way to Old Gun/Robius is a climb. The part of the route on upper Riverside between mile 4 and 6 is full of these curvy up/downs with some punchy climbs. The Nickel Bridge(the first one we went over) is a decent climb, no matter which way you're going. The 2nd bridge is the Lee which is part of the Marathon course. BB4 might know about that bridge. I think the Tour Of Richmond bike ride went along Riverside, so rccardr might have ridden that part as well There's an elevation tab at the bottom of the map.

Anyway, as I was headed down to the middle of the Nickel/river, I came upon an MTT gentleman older than I rolling along around a 10:30 pace. The bridge flattened out and we began the climb up to the other side. I slowed of course, and we chatted a bit. It was Dewey, a local fixture on the marathon running scene. Dewey is 84 years young! He's not one of the original's, but close to it. There's only one left that has run every Richmond Marathon. A few of them switched to the half a few years ago when they hit their mid 80's. One had a cycling accident and had to give up running. Still cycling. Dewey was looking strong. No limps, or hunches or those kind of things. Plenty of muscle tone also. He said he gets a little slower each year, but good otherwise. I barely made it to the crest of the climb on the other side without walking. I turned around as I transitioned onto upper Riverside. I had only gapped Dewey by 50-60 yards! I hope that I can make it to his age, and be in the kind of shape he's in. If we stay off the couch and take care of ourselves, maybe we all can make it that far.

https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/ZJRlbFkiY1
I know that bridge all too well. Wouldn't want to run it in summer heat.
And of course, Lee's Revenge. Don't want to run it again, ever.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 07-26-22, 07:51 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

UPDATE from the TT results: 21.7 mph.
And today, it's like my legs are encased in oatmeal. Painful oats.
Old 07-26-22, 01:01 PM
seypat

And today, it's like my legs are encased in oatmeal. Painful oats.
It was a worthy effort.
Old 07-26-22, 03:38 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
BBB4, outstanding work!
It's been Hot here in Cen-Tex. At least 30 days in a row of 100+ temperatures. The record is 44 and we may exceed that.
I've taking this year off from training/riding but will be back at it in September. I pick the wrong year to take off or I should say it picked me. I mean I love me some warm weather workouts.
All my Ironman are gathering dust...it's pitiful. Occasionally I take the 84 Comp TA out when my buddy Mike calls me to ride on the river Walk....But I'm getting antsy!

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-26-22 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-27-22, 09:04 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
BBB4, outstanding work!
It's been Hot here in Cen-Tex. At least 30 days in a row of 100+ temperatures. The record is 44 and we may exceed that.
I've taking this year off from training/riding but will be back at it in September. I pick the wrong year to take off or I should say it picked me. I mean I love me some warm weather workouts.
All my Ironman are gathering dust...it's pitiful. Occasionally I take the 84 Comp TA out when my buddy Mike calls me to ride on the river Walk....But I'm getting antsy!
Hang in there, because I'm living vicariously through your exploits.
I may be back at Hotter'n Hell, because it was darn fun.
Old 08-02-22, 02:47 AM
texaspandj

Well it's official, this past July (2022) was the hottest July (Waco) ever recorded, with a average temperature of almost 104°.
IN a couple of more weeks my daughter will start 2nd grade and I'll start working out again.
In May of next year I'll be turning 60! My goal is to be comfortable enough to take my shirt off in public. That'll mean the dreaded disciplined DIET. But its gonna have to happen. I may be reaching for the stars though.
Keep the rubber side down Iron kids while I start washing the dust off my 5 Ironman.
Old 08-02-22, 06:19 AM
seypat

Well it's official, this past July (2022) was the hottest July (Waco) ever recorded, with a average temperature of almost 104°.
IN a couple of more weeks my daughter will start 2nd grade and I'll start working out again.
In May of next year I'll be turning 60! My goal is to be comfortable enough to take my shirt off in public. That'll mean the dreaded disciplined DIET. But its gonna have to happen. I may be reaching for the stars though.
Keep the rubber side down Iron kids while I start washing the dust off my 5 Ironman.
Good for you! Even if my bod was in ultra shape, people would be "blinded by the light"..........of my pale pasty skin. It could cause them to get revved up like a deuce and take off running.

My youngest(daughter) leaves for college in about 2 weeks. She'll be a member of the JMU Marching Royal Dukes, one of the finest bands in the land. It should help with her transition into college. Speaking of workouts/getting in shape, the first 4 days of band camp is 8 hours a day!

Last edited by seypat; 08-02-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 06:25 AM
seypat

Speaking of the HNH100, it could be a toasty one this year. I still think they should have a matching ride in the winter. The weather is too unpredictable, though. The roads might be covered in ice. Check out those weather records.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...3aa6d06a6d3382

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/.../wichita-falls

Last edited by seypat; 08-02-22 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 05:56 PM
texaspandj

Speaking of blinded by the light. That was, Believe it or not, Bruce Springsteen's only number one Hit and of course it was manfred man's version.
When is HnH this year? Doubtful I'll be in good enough shape to do it.
ALl my Ironman bikes are in good shape except the '85 OG. I used the Campy cable stops that came with the 8 speed veloce group and they broke. So I'll replace them and put new gear cables and housing.
later IronKids.
Old 08-02-22, 06:17 PM
seypat

Speaking of blinded by the light. That was, Believe it or not, Bruce Springsteen's only number one Hit and of course it was manfred man's version.
When is HnH this year? Doubtful I'll be in good enough shape to do it.
ALl my Ironman bikes are in good shape except the '85 OG. I used the Campy cable stops that came with the 8 speed veloce group and they broke. So I'll replace them and put new gear cables and housing.
later IronKids.
Dude wrote some good songs, but I can't stand listening to him sing or watching him perform. There's a reason other people, not him, make hits out of his songs. Patty Smith, like Manfred Mann, took a Bruce song and owned it.

HNH100 info:

https://www.hh100.org/

Last edited by seypat; 08-03-22 at 06:13 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-02-22, 06:29 PM
seypat

Classic example here. People either love his addition or hate it. I realize it's hard to hang with the Dropkick Murphys. Singing Celtic pub rock/punk isn't easy either and takes a different kind of voice, but ol marble mouth mumbler Bruce just sounds like a hobo giving someone the bum rush. His fans will say his voice is unique and makes his storytelling special. Whatever, it grates on my nerves. That gas pump attendant image. Don't get me started. You decide if he adds anything.

Last edited by seypat; 08-03-22 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-03-22, 05:19 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Sorry…

….he’ll never be “the boss” of me or my music collection.
Not an American icon, legend, or great. John Hyatt, he ain’t.

He’s been a media darling since they put him on the cover of Time when I was in high school.
Not surprising in retrospect, given his politics match the airstream media.
Likes For bamboobike4:
Old 08-03-22, 07:25 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Go back to the first three albums, especially the second. No politics, just pure joy of rock and roll.
You want to talk real music? Ever hear of Stan Rogers?

Top.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.