Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Spot Brand Coyote Belt Drive Review

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 08:12 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have had the Coyote for almost a month now so I thought it fitting to write up a review of my findings to date. The belt drive is what mainly attracted me to the bike. I wanted to try it for myself and see if it was a viable alternative to a chain driven fixed gear. I had contemplated modifying an existing frame (Steamroller), but thought this would be a simpler route to take. So let's start the review.

MSRP is $1098. I purchased the bike from hucknroll.com for $1048 with free shipping using a $50 off coupon I found online. Buying experience from hucknroll was great. I ordered it online on a Sunday night and by that following Tuesday I had the bike. They fully assembled the bike in house and then shipped the bike using a freight company with only the front wheel removed. The freight company contacted me the day before the bike was delivered. I had to be present to sign for the bike to verify there was not any damage during shipment. My bike was in perfect shape. Front wheel was packaged separately inside the box to ensure it did not damage the frame. I was very impressed with the whole shipping experience and best of all it was free.

I installed the front wheel, adjusted the seat height and topped off the tire pressure. That was it and I was ready for a test ride. The belt drive is almost silent and there is zero slop in the drive train. Push the pedals forward and the bike moves forward instantly without any hesitation. Push the pedals backward and rear wheel instantly stops and reverses direction. The belt drive feels very smooth and more forgiving to the knees while riding the bike. The belt is very stiff and does not stretch noticeably, yet feels like there is a little give when slowing the bike down with your legs or traversing bumps and potholes in the road.

Now let's talk details about the stock bike build. Frame is 4130 chromoly steel with a sweet naked finish and tasteful decals under a nice layer of clear coat. All the welds are visible and appear to be smooth and complete. The drive side rear dropout is split to allow installation of the belt. The dropouts are adjustable to set the tension of the belt correctly and then lock it in place. Rear wheel removal and re-installation does not change the tension. This is a very nice feature considering that the belt tension must be carefully set (which can be done with an iPhone app that is free to download, works like a guitar tuner, pretty slick) so changing flat tires out on the road will be a simple and painless affair.

The component spec is decent for a bike of this price. The belt drive components are very well machined aluminum alloy and the belt looks like something you would see on a car or motorcycle with one distinct difference. The belt has a center track groove taken out of it. The front and rear pulleys have a corresponding raised area in the center of the tooth arrangement. This keeps the belt aligned and from falling off. Very nice update from the older belt drive systems that relied on a guard on the inside of the rear pulley and outside of the front pulley to keep the belt from coming off. Gearing is 55 x 21 for about 70 gear inches with the 28C tires. Perfect sweet spot for me, but others might need something different. This poses a problem as the belt and pulley sizes are very limited right now for the center track system. Something to keep in mind if you would want to change the stock gearing. Handlebars, stem, seatpost and saddle are all Spot Brand and have a nice gloss black finish. The stock stem and riser handlebars are fine if you like risers. I prefer drops so I only rode with the risers for a few days before changing them out. Crankset and bottom bracket are Truvativ (Sram) Touro and PowerSpline respectively. Nice solid combo, but a little heavy for my tastes. The wheelset is a Spot branded Formula hub with an Alex DA22 rim. 32 stainless steel spokes for a nice solid wheeset that should hold up very well. Wheels rolled smooth and true out of the box. Tires are the ultra beefy WTB Thickslicks. A little on the heavy side they will no doubt hold up well for commuting, but do take some effort to get up to cruising speed.

I have already made a few modifications to the stock bike to suit my riding style and personal tastes. I installed an FSA OS-190 stem and Compact Wing Pro handlebar. I also installed Tekro R100A brake levers and R580 calipers I had lying around. Then I swapped the stock crank and bb for an Ultegra crank and Dura Ace bottom bracket that I also had in my parts stash. I had to flip the bb spindle around to get the correct “belt line”.

I will follow this review up with some long term feedback once I have used the bike in the rain and snow this winter. I have included a few pics to show the bike in stock and current form.

Stock setup:

Current setup:

Drivetrain close ups:

Last edited by xB_Nutt; 08-23-11 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 12:36 PM
cali_axela
Señor Member

Bikes: All of them

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, been awhile, but do you still have this bike, and how is the belt drive system holding up? Still like it? Ran into this bike on closeout new for $700 and I haven't found any more recent reviews. Potentially tempted.
Old 11-15-12, 12:46 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cali_axela
Hey, been awhile, but do you still have this bike, and how is the belt drive system holding up? Still like it? Ran into this bike on closeout new for $700 and I haven't found any more recent reviews. Potentially tempted.
The bike in the OP has a belt drive... looks like you just caught that...

The one on closeout will probably be the chain drive version. They are solid bikes with decent style, but nothing too exemplary compared to other bikes in the same price range. Except you get the ability to go belt drive if you want.

We sold a Coyote set up with belt drive and the SA 2sp kickback hub. I really like the Spot bikes, and they are the US distributor for Gates products.

Regarding the original review, if anyone's interested...:

Our shop assistant manager went out to the Gates Carbon Drive dealer shindig last month. Says the biggest complaint they were hearing is that there's not enough gearing options. They recognize the issue and are working to make more gearing choices available -- more belt sizes, more cog sizes. Biggest issue is with very short chainstay bikes -- apparently there's currently more choice when you get into longer chainstay situations.
Old 11-15-12, 04:18 PM
cali_axela
Señor Member

Bikes: All of them

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info! The bike I'm looking at is definitely the belt drive version; it's orange instead of raw, but that seems to be the only big difference compared to the OP's bike. Here are the specs:

• Fork: Spot Brand CroMo straight-blade, painted to match
• Headset: Tange-Seiki 1 1/8" threadless, Spot laser-etch top cap
• Handlebar: Spot Brand Spot alloy, 9º backsweep, 30mm rise, 560mm width, 25.4mm clamp
• Grips: Velo 130mm, closed end, white
• Stem: Spot Brand Spot alloy, 4-bolt, +/- 10º rise, 3D forged
• Brakes/Levers: Tektro Dual-Pivot calipers, Tektro levers
• Crankset: TruVativ Touro, Silver
• Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Cartridge, PowerSpline
• Front Pulley: Gates CenterTrack, 55T, 130 BCD
• Rear Pulley: Gates CenterTrack, 21T, threaded
• Belt: Gates CenterTrack, 113T
• Rear Hub: Spot Brand High flange, Fixed, 120mm spacing
• Front Hub: Spot Brand High flange, 100mm spacing
• Rims: Alex DA22, 32º, aero profile, machined sidewalls, Presta valve
• Spokes: Alex 14g, black
• Tires: WTB ThickSlick Elite Urban, 700x25C, Urban Armor casing
• Saddle: WTB Street Smart Rocket V, white
• Pedals: Stock Resin, toe-clip compatible
• Seatpost: Spot Brand 27.2mm, 300mm
• Seat Clamp: Spot Brand Spot alloy, 28.6mm

Seems like a pretty good deal for a belt drive bike. I am definitely going to look into gearing options though, I would want something slightly higher, around 75"