Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Climbing near the berkshires?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 12:40 AM
happa95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone!

So I'm currently riding in Southern California, but I'll be off to college in 2 years, and I'm considering Williams and Amherst as two possible candidates. Being in soCal, I'm very used to having quick access to tons of climbing rides; I can go up north to a plethora of climbs in Malibu Canyon or I can go east to tackle Mt. Baldy, Mt. Wilson and some other fairly intense climbs. What I'm wondering is... what kind of climbing is available in Massachusetts and the nearby areas? I'd like to continue cycling in college and climbing is by far my favorite thing to do on a bike (if you couldn't already tell).
Old 02-27-12, 08:05 AM
mcccliv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out this map of New England's toughest hills:

https://www.northeastcycling.com/NE_Climbs_main.html

There is also a list of them:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lU2cHo4eVZlY1E

You will find a few more around Williams than Amherst. They are both close to VT & NH with many more mountains.

In general, the terrain is rolling hills. While routes many not have the long mountain passes of the west, the rolling hills will gain you almost the same elevation and get you more tired.
Old 02-27-12, 09:56 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greylock can be climbed when there isn't snow/ice, the road is gated during the winter months but nothing is really preventing you from riding it if it is ice free. There are decent climbs on the MA/NY border over the taconic range and some nice flat rides in the area for times when not interested in climbs. The Catskills are an hour to 2 hours away, the high peaks of the Adirondacks are about 2.5 hours away, Lake geoge climbs are closer. The Whites are around 3.5-4.5 hours away, all those points offer more ascents.

Ascutney is about 2 hours away, it offers a mtn that has a road. Equinox Mt, by Manchester is about 1 hour away, another mtn with a road on it.

The berkshires itself will present you with rolling hills, nothing too crazy. Williams college will put you closer to NY and the catskills/ADKs and Amherst will put you closer to the Whites.. Amherst itself is in a vallley and there are hills there (holyoke range, mt Tom.. and you'll be close to Wachusett (road).)...

Jay
Old 03-11-12, 09:34 AM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Williams is hillier, near the top of the Berkshires. Anything you ride there will be hilly. Amherst is pretty flat, but only 10 miles from the eastern slope of the Berkshires. Amherst to Wilmington, VT is a little over 50 miles, via Conway, Shelburne Falls, Colrain, Jacksonville, and a beautiful ride to boot. From Williams, you're right at the crossroads of the Berkshires, the Taconics, and the Green Mountains. Both have their pros, and not many cons. Enjoy! Oh yeah, it snows in the winter. Learn to ski (XC or downhill), snowboard, or snowshoe.
Old 03-11-12, 05:31 PM
chipg5

Bikes: Felt Z80 road bike, Trek 7.2FX hybrid, Jamis Aurora Touring, Volae Voyager recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Climbing is absolutely available. YOu don't even have to go 10 miles out of Williamstown for some real nice climbs. As for winter, studded snow tires for your bike!