Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 10:16 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Where did you get the information about 2/32nds of an inch, shaving tires and damage to the AWD system? I bought a Forester XT yesterday and the manual says nothing about that. It doesn't sound right to me. Tire pressure, loading up the rear cargo area or putting weight on the trailer hitch can deflect the tire by more than 1.6mm. I'm curious about where you got that information.
That's the standard recommendation for Subaru's. Any AWD vehicle is going to be similar.
Winter Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive & All-Wheel Drive Vehicles
Tires 101 on Tire Matching on All Wheel and Four Wheel Drive :: Souza's Tire Service

The issue is increased wear on the center differential which tries to make the front and rear axles rotate at the same speed. Cars with an even split are going to want a tighter tolerance, since both axles are continuously driven.

Congrats on the FXT! How do you like it?
Old 04-19-16, 11:28 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Where did you get the information about 2/32nds of an inch, shaving tires and damage to the AWD system? I bought a Forester XT yesterday and the manual says nothing about that. It doesn't sound right to me. Tire pressure, loading up the rear cargo area or putting weight on the trailer hitch can deflect the tire by more than 1.6mm. I'm curious about where you got that information.

Also, the oil issue is not a leak. It consumes oil but it doesn't leak it out of the engine. The light 0-W20 oil gets past the rings once they engine is broken in, presumably to be burned in the cylinder resulting in the need to top off the oil between changes. The demand for higher mileage is pushing manufacturers to use light oil, low friction piston rings, long intervals between oil changes, etc., and several manufacturers have struggled with this issue.

There was a class action lawsuit against Honda for the same issue. Acura struggled with the same thing 2009 to 20011 models. https://www.cars.com/articles/2009-1...1420681239401/
My XT only leaks oil from the oil filter. That thing can vibrate loose and leave a drip in the driveway everyday. Getting to it with your hands is not recommended, either:

This location is known by subaru owners as the "ring of fire". This is a great pic, too, because you can can even see the oil leaking past the filter as I mentioned earlier.

1: Get a tool that fits on a socket wrench extension to get the filter in/out
2: Use a tarp for oil changes.
3: Change the oil pretty often. Waaaay more often than non-turbo cars. Exhaust **** from the turbo gets in the oil.
4: Also, subaru uses tiny debris filters in the banjo fittings for the oil lines. You will have to remove them all, if a previous owner hasn't already had to. I had to hunt one down that a previous owner didn't remove. These clog, and can really F up your day (detonate your turbo, but you'll get engine codes before that). Nobody can understand why after all these years subaru is still putting the damn things in their cars...
Old 04-19-16, 12:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
2014 to present XT has a completely different filter setup, on top of the engine in a cup that allows oil to drain back into the crankcase when the filter is changed.

Old 04-19-16, 12:15 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember we had a customer stop at the garage who had a blow out and limped to us on a spare. It was an awd GMC Safari or something similar from the early mid 90s. We couldn't get the exact size tire so we just pulled that piece of drive shaft so he could get home and figure out what to do from there.

Tire sizes matter, I made sure when we sold our golf to let the fellow know if he had a flat with the winter tires (they were larger than the stock tires) in the front to put a rear tire on the front and the mis-sized spare on the rear.
Old 04-19-16, 01:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

All, thanks for the education on the tires. I'll do some research on the Subaru forums. Good to know.

Originally Posted by gsa103

Congrats on the FXT! How do you like it?
Literally bought it yesterday, drove it 20 miles home and took it for coffee this morning. Wiped it down with cold water this morning before heading out and I'm thinking about using the clay bar on the paint next weekend.

Previous owner bought it at the local Subaru dealership and then traded it in for a Mercedes at a super high-end dealership. It was on their used car lot, oddly enough, right next door to a different Subaru dealership. They Mercedes guys took it next door for the ECM recall. I went next door and the service guys printed out a record of all the service on the car just because I asked.

2015 model year, showroom condition. Every major option - navigation, Eye Sight, Harmon Kardon audio. Lots of Subaru accessories as well like the cross rails for the roof rack, cargo nets and air deflector for the moon roof.

It isn't like any normally aspirated performance car I've driven. Weird, like two different cars. If you keep it in normal mode it is like any grocery getter and only hints at being fast. If you put it in sport or sport# mode it lights up, keeps the revs up and keeps in in the boost. I did one blast in sport# with manual shifting last night and it launched impressively for such a tiny engine in a big car. Spec is 0-60 in 6.7 sec.

Every time I turn the steering wheel it reminds me that at the end of the day it is still a truck. Sway bars might be needed.

And the stereo cranks.

Old 04-19-16, 02:08 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
It isn't like any normally aspirated performance car I've driven. Weird, like two different cars. If you keep it in normal mode it is like any grocery getter and only hints at being fast. If you put it in sport or sport# mode it lights up, keeps the revs up and keeps in in the boost. I did one blast in sport# with manual shifting last night and it launched impressively for such a tiny engine in a big car. Spec is 0-60 in 6.7 sec.
You have the modes labeled wrong
Sport# = video game mode. Sport = normal mode. I = stuck in traffic mode. I mode actually restricts the peak boost (in addition to muted pedal response), so you can't get full power in I mode.

The Subaru forums are generally very good, tons of great information. One word of advice, don't spend too much time on car forums, they will convince you car is about to explode (same as with bikes and bikeforums).
Old 04-24-16, 10:38 PM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Elementary, my dear Watson....

I just found my bike hauler....after searching nationwide for about six weeks for a 2007 + Honda Element (I live in ABQ, NM a fairly small metro area and not a lot of these around), a 2007 model with an UNBELIEVABLE 27K miles showed up on the local Craigslist at an excellent price. I almost missed it, but first buyer's wife nixed the deal and I was next in line. In six+ weeks of searching I had not see a single Element of any vintage with less than 40K miles offered for sale--and 40-50K mile cars were being offered at $2-5K more than this one. It's very close to showroom condition. If I had a choice I'd probably opt for another color....but I can live with this one.

BTW, those rear seats fold up and out of the way, or can be removed entirely leaving room for at two-four bikes in the rear.

STP

Old 04-25-16, 04:19 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Porschefan
Elementary, my dear Watson....

I just found my bike hauler....after searching nationwide for about six weeks for a 2007 + Honda Element (I live in ABQ, NM a fairly small metro area and not a lot of these around), a 2007 model with an UNBELIEVABLE 27K miles showed up on the local Craigslist at an excellent price. I almost missed it, but first buyer's wife nixed the deal and I was next in line. In six+ weeks of searching I had not see a single Element of any vintage with less than 40K miles offered for sale--and 40-50K mile cars were being offered at $2-5K more than this one. It's very close to showroom condition. If I had a choice I'd probably opt for another color....but I can live with this one.

BTW, those rear seats fold up and out of the way, or can be removed entirely leaving room for at two-four bikes in the rear.

STP

Great find, I love the internet for car shopping, a little patience and low mileage older (though 07 isn't that old) cars will pop up at great prices, so a person can get virtually a new car for less the half the cost of new.
Old 04-26-16, 07:00 PM
Beachbumer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for a 911. Why? Well it's a 911. It is fun to drive and it rips in the snow. Bike fits on roof. I do really like the Element though.

Old 04-26-16, 07:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

That's a great find Stephen. The matter has been settled however. The best car for bike owners is, without a shadow of a doubt, the 2015 Subaru XT Touring, turbo/intercooled with 440 watt Harmon Kardon audio.

The Element matches your Morvelo Hemisphere Gilet perfectly thought and makes it a fine second place finisher. I'd ride around ABQ in the element with the gilet on just for fun.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-26-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 07:50 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumer
I vote for a 911. Why? Well it's a 911. It is fun to drive and it rips in the snow. Bike fits on roof. I do really like the Element though.

Awesome. That's what I do (997) too. BTW, how did you fare on "hot or not"? I think the Brooks saddle with the matching handlebar tape looks great.
Old 04-26-16, 08:50 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Either of those would work. They are known reliable cars too. You will get mini van recommendations here, but it's up to you if you want to drive one. I would say give the smaller Chevy and Nissan SUV's a look as well.

I have a Ford Explorer. Not the new crossover version. Mine is from before they moved to a car platform. I love it for sports. My son plays youth sports year round and my Explorer handles everything just fine.
The trouble with the above:
The great majority of "bike-owners" / cyclists making better car-drivers.
Because they drive a car nearly all their time, on the roads.
Vs. the minor cyclists who have a bike as the only way of getting around.
Secondary: add as sport.

Last edited by molten; 04-26-16 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 08:37 AM
Beachbumer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Awesome. That's what I do (997) too. BTW, how did you fare on "hot or not"? I think the Brooks saddle with the matching handlebar tape looks great.
Thank you. I did not fare very well on 'hot or not'.
Old 04-27-16, 09:38 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by Beachbumer
Thank you. I did not fare very well on 'hot or not'.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of us on the 41 are non-racers, but have racing aspirations or are wannabees, thus the hot or not bikes more or less need to fit that very narrow bandwidth of what a race rig ought to look like.

Back on topic, I've been getting tired of putting on/taking off my the bike rack, so I'm seriously considering SeaSuckers. A couple of my riding buddies use them on their sports cars and have had no issues even "at speed"
Old 04-27-16, 11:43 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy ReeneKia Soul or Scion xB ?
Do you own either?

What do you like, don't like?

Reliable? Fun to drive? Handle well?

Bikes fit without taking the wheels off?

How about an eight foot long 2"x4" - can you close the hatch?

How many bales of pine straw does it fit?

etc.
I own a pristine 2006 Scion xB.
I certainly enjoy driving this Aero challenged vehicle. Wish it had about 15/20 more HP for freeway driving.
160K miles, Tires: 205/45 17s and sway bars makes it handle better than most other vehicles I have driven for years. My 1970 914/6 GT was more fun to drive & handled a bit better.
Front wheels must come off to carry 2 bicycles inside 60-cm, with seats folded flat and 2 blankets for padding to keep bicycles & wheels separated.
Can carry several eight foot long 2"x4" but not easily.
Never carried a straw bale with hooks or in a car.

I have a hitch mount rack for 3 bicycles but it is like dragging a small boat anchor @ 80 on freeway.
I will be driving to from Las Vegas, to Seattle for the STP event in July with the bicycles inside. Afterwards increasing a passenger, I will move the bicycles to the hitch rack.

Then 3 of us will visit family in Willamette Valley Wine Country for a few days, then take a road trip that will includes parks: Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and the Dinosaur National Monument. Not certain if we will have enough time or clean clothes to see the Navajo Nation's Monument Valley Park, since that still only has a dirt/rock strewn unpaved access loop.

That is the best off topic answer I can provide.

JR

2010 Jamis Ventura Race
2009 Fuji SST 1.0
Basso Tri-Color
Novara XR
Bianchi Nuova Touring
Old 05-01-16, 04:46 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
For everyone who says minivans are depressing and embarrassing to be seen in,
You obviously just lack the sack to do one right.

Certainly nothing depressing about an Aprillia!
Old 05-01-16, 05:48 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
I just picked up the roof transport system for my 996 - which carrier are you using? I've read that some don't fit over square bars, but don't know if that's accurate. I have a feeling my Thule ski rack won't fit on the bars.
Old 05-01-16, 07:22 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I will NEVER, NEVER buy a minivan for as long as I live, I don't care if I can park my 67 Galaxie inside of one, you won't catch me getting one.
Old 05-01-16, 08:54 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I just picked up the roof transport system for my 996 - which carrier are you using? I've read that some don't fit over square bars, but don't know if that's accurate. I have a feeling my Thule ski rack won't fit on the bars.
I couldn't really tell you - whatever the Porsche roof rack system included (which are Porsche branded Thule) - roof rack, front wheel holders (fork mounted) and the bike rack.
Old 05-01-16, 08:55 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I will NEVER, NEVER buy a minivan for as long as I live, I don't care if I can park my 67 Galaxie inside of one, you won't catch me getting one.
Why? Because you are too insecure about what other people think about you to get the most useful tool for the job? Or is there some other reason not related to a phobia of emasculation?

It's ironic really that the SUV is bought by every soccer family in America as the "not a soccer mom vehicle", yet now (in 2016), nothing screams "bland suburban American soccer mom or dad resigned to raising their demon spawn progeny" more loudly than a SUV.

How people delude themselves into thinking that because it looks rugged and gets half the mileage it must make them some kind of rebel, some rare exception to their arch type, is just fascinating.

From a sociology standpoint, one could study the auto industry for a lifetime and never run out of new material.
Old 05-01-16, 01:55 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Why? Because you are too insecure about what other people think about you to get the most useful tool for the job? Or is there some other reason not related to a phobia of emasculation?

It's ironic really that the SUV is bought by every soccer family in America as the "not a soccer mom vehicle", yet now (in 2016), nothing screams "bland suburban American soccer mom or dad resigned to raising their demon spawn progeny" more loudly than a SUV.

How people delude themselves into thinking that because it looks rugged and gets half the mileage it must make them some kind of rebel, some rare exception to their arch type, is just fascinating.

From a sociology standpoint, one could study the auto industry for a lifetime and never run out of new material.

Yeah, that's it I'm too insecure to drive a minivan, by the way I don't own any "rugged" vehicles, you can't think far enough into what I said that really was saying I hate minivans, I don't need one, I don't have kids. I just love all the hate some posters have on these forums, nothing like a hater to throw schit into the wind just to piss off others. Next jacko please.
Old 05-01-16, 02:55 PM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First bike trip with my Element

No pix, but I just transported my bike in the Element for the first time. Folded passenger side rear seat up and out of the way (the rear seats "hang" on the side walls). Rolled my bike into hatch. Rear wheel touches the front passenger seat. Front wheel just barely touches the tailgate/hatch. I may add a bungee cord just in case, but bike seems to fit just about perfectly. Sweeet!

STP
Old 05-01-16, 04:45 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Yeah, that's it I'm too insecure to drive a minivan, by the way I don't own any "rugged" vehicles, you can't think far enough into what I said that really was saying I hate minivans, I don't need one, I don't have kids. I just love all the hate some posters have on these forums, nothing like a hater to throw schit into the wind just to piss off others. Next jacko please.
Of course you didn't say that you don't need a minivan and don't expect ever to have any use for one, so it's unlikely you'd ever buy one.

Rather, you said you would NEVER EVER (emphatically) buy one and implied that would be true no matter how much needed space it had.

But everyone else is a hater and throwing the s***.

Hey, I asked what your reasoning is in case it was rational. But from your defensive reaction it would appear to be exactly as I expected. Lady doth, and such.
Old 05-01-16, 06:27 PM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Best rental care I ever had was a Honda Minivan. I and my ego survived.
Old 05-01-16, 06:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I assume that I already said WORKING?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.