Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is the Giant Escape 3 any good? I could get that and some accessories for $400

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 10:17 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bay Area Bikes Commuter Special - bayareabikes.com

I could get an Giant Escape 3 (don't know what year it is, if the year is important let me know), helmet, lock and light for $400. Seems like a great deal and good way to get into bicycling. I haven't ridden a bike in years and would like to get a bike soon. I am also interested in their Tern bikes that are under $1,000. A folding bike would be pretty useful. I am aware of the problem with Tern bikes that existed years ago and I am assuming they removed all the bikes years ago with that recall for the folding part of the bike snapping in half. If anyone is familiar with these bikes please let me know what your opinion on them. Like I said I already know about the problem with Tern bikes which shouldn't be no problem now.

Tern Folding Bikes - bayareabikes.com
Old 12-27-16, 10:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I'm assuming the Escape 3 is brand new 2016 since the MSRP is just about $400, and they might be clearing out old stock. If it's used or a few years old then it's not a great deal. If you could find one that is a few years old on CL it might be half that price.
Old 12-28-16, 09:19 AM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant hybrid bikes are decent bikes, and this is a good price. If you really get into riding and starting putting on a lot of miles or if your commute is especially hilly, you may find yourself upgrading to something else a year or so down the road. In that case, it is good not to put too much into your first. bike.

About the accessories: You would probably want to add a rack, so you might add about $50 for that. Depending on whether you plan to ride when the streets are wet, you might also add fenders (another $50 plus labor if you don't want to install them yourself). Since the bike is $340, I'm trying to figure out what kinds of lock, helmet, and lights you could get for only an additional $60. If you have a safe place to lock up so that it doesn't matter if the lock is super secure and if you only need "be seen" lights, then this might be a good deal. Otherwise, I would buy the bike separately and choose your own lights, locks, and helmet.

Edit: I just looked more closely at the ad. It looks like a Kryptonite lock, so that should be good. I think all helmets are pretty much the same, so this one should be fine. The lights they are offering are just to make you a little more visible. They are lights for you to "be seen" as opposed to lights for you "to see" a dark road. If you will ride at night or even when it is dusky, I would definitely upgrade those right away. I like the Cygolight Expilion line of headlights and their hotshot taillight, but there are lots of good options (and just as many opinions!).

In terms of folders, my spouse just ordered a Dahon Vybe D7, which is kind of like a folding hybrid as far as I can tell. We paid $400 and added a rack. It comes with fenders. Here's what we got: Dahon Vybe D7 - top folding bicycles at NYCeWheels. It should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited by Giant Doofus; 12-28-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-28-16, 10:13 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Giant makes pretty good bikes and I think you get good value for your money with them. As far as accessories, the first one you NEED to get is a mirror. Do not ride without one. The next are lights. I have a rack on my bike but seldom use it, instead I use a small backpack. That may or may not work for you. If you're not going to be carrying a lot of stuff, then maybe a simple and inexpensive saddle bag would be handy to have. Obviously you need a helmet, but you might want to consider gloves and a bike computer. You can get most of your accessories at a department store and pay much less for them.
Old 12-28-16, 01:28 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As a former bike shop owner for 30+ years I would say the bike would be a great commuting bike. If it is a 2014, 15, 16 model is irrelevant. They have changed very little and the warranty from the shop for a newbie is a good thing.

I have recently become an avid Folding Bike convert. I always thought of them as slow cheap and why bother.

As a commuter there is a huge advantage. 1. You can probably take it in and put it under your desk---I hate leaving a bike in the weather even at work. 2. You don't need a car rack to get picked up. If you meet up after work or whatever your folding bike will easily fit in most trunks and all back seats. 3. Performance is about the same. Caveat---I would only buy a folding bike with derailleurs and it must have at least an 8 speed rear cassette so you can have a 11 tooth high gear. Do not buy a folding bike with a freewheel.

Yes I am a folding bike nut---Remember storage inside is much easier and no car rack needed. Mine fits in my front closet---Sweet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahon-Mu-D10...e=STRK:MESE:IT

I know he will accept offers of $560...

Last edited by Rick Imby; 12-28-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 01:29 PM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
PS most of the department store accessories are truly junk...
Old 12-28-16, 01:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Giant is A Huge-big company, and their products are equal to other companies At similar price ..

A common Dealer discount for accessories at time of purchase is 10%, and the Installation is Included..
Old 12-28-16, 03:15 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
-I would only buy a folding bike with derailleurs and it must have at least an 8 speed rear cassette so you can have a 11 tooth high gear. Do not buy a folding bike with a freewheel.
I'm curious about why you wouldn't recommend a freewheel folder vs. freehub. Is it just for the sake of the high gear?
Old 12-31-16, 09:00 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the 2017 Giant Escape 3 btw, I confirmed it. Just curious what's the difference between cheaper and expensive bikes? Better parts? Better ride quality? All I care about is the ride quality (combination of how smooth my trips will be and whether or not it requires more effort than a more expensive bike to go the same speed) and if a cheap(er) bike doesn't ride as smooth as a more expensive bike then I might have to rethink about buying the Giant Escape 3.

Last edited by TheChosenOne; 12-31-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 07:45 PM
slowpacer

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
What may be described as a smooth ride for someone, may not feel so smooth to you, so it's best to ride a few different bikes and judge for yourself. Ride comfort has a lot to do with many things, like bike geometry and fit, frame design, frame material (steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium), tires, saddle and etc.

When i was shopping for a new hybrid bike in 2014, i did test ride a few bikes including a Giant Escape which rode more upright riding position but felt ok, but i ended up buying a Specialized Sirrus with aluminum frame and disc brakes which has been very comfortable for me after a few upgrades (saddle, handlebar, wider tires, pedals). I may or may not have purchased a different bike had i tested more bikes, but i'm happy with this one nevertheless.
Old 01-01-17, 08:30 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I really don't see the need for a folding bike unless you have some desire to take it cheaper on an airline then a non folding bike. Plus they look awkward to ride, not to mention you have to pay more for a bike that will fold thus you can get more for your money on a non folding bike.

I think for a starter bike the Giant is just fine, but if you begin to ride a lot of miles on don't expect it to last as long as a nice mid level bike, hopefully by the time you figure out that you like cycling and want to do it all the time then you'll want a better bike anyways a few years down the road which will be about the time that repairs will be mounting and you'll want a better bike.