Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Matrix ISO-C rims/Miyata 712 Internal Brake Cable - Avoid?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 10:47 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am considering a 1987 Schwinn Tempo and a 1987 Miyata 712. Both are my size, in excellent condition, and ride very nicely. Prices are what I am willing to pay. While doing research to help me decide which bike to get, I came across the following information which is making me rethink these bikes:

The Tempo has Matrix ISO-C rims which users rate as either great rims and very sturdy, or prone to causing flats and a pain to change. I do not have an extra set of rims I can swap out.

The 712 has an internal rear brake cable making the top tube structurally weak, which can create cracking in the top tube area near the entry/exit holes for the cable. I do not want to pay to have this fixed. I weigh 155 pounds and am not the type of rider that would be putting a lot of stress on the bike. However, there is no guarantee the bike hasn't experienced a lot of stress in its 30 years.

Are these deal breakers? What would those of you with more experience do?
Thanks!
Brian
Old 07-21-17, 05:50 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with Bill...go with the Tempo...the wheels are definitely not a deal breakers...and it has less hassle. I am a bit fan of Miyata...just not that particular one!

Originally Posted by wrk101
No deal breaker here. But I would go for the Tempo. Realize on either bike wheels don't last forever regardless. On the other hand, you must have a good eye to inspect that Miyata top tube. If you aren't sure, just avoid it. I've had some that were bad, others were fine. One less thing to worry about.

Don't change out rims, just use the wheels until they are a problem. Then find a suitable set of wheels to replace. For the cost of replacing rims you can usually get complete wheels, nice used wheels for even less.
Old 07-21-17, 01:45 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for your help! I am going to pass on the 712 even though I was leaning towards that one. It was a little more than the Tempo, but I liked the color better. Everything I had read up on it led me to believe it was an outstanding bike, until I came across the information about the design flaw with the internal brake cable. Even though everything looks fine, I can't afford to take that chance.

On the Tempo, I am looking at Craigslist and ebay and not seeing anything in a reasonable price range to replace the Matrix wheels. I'd rather have that issue resolved prior to purchase rather than dealing with it on the road. Can you recommend a reasonable replacement? How much should I expect to be paying for a used wheelset? Harris has new Weinmann LP18 for $132, Sun CR-18 for $171. Unfortunately, if I can't find used I will not be buying the Tempo.
Brian
Old 07-21-17, 03:52 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
You can get the Weinmans LP-18 which are nice basic wheels for about $100 and something bit nicer like a set basic open pros for $150-160. In most markets if you look around a bit you can usually pic up some really nice wheel sets often with good tires starting at $75. I say figure on budgeting $150 for something new and $100 or so if your welling to get used.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...d-fw-qr-silver