Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

What is in your repair kit for GMR?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 11:33 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been riding a few years and have had to change a couple of flats, but recently had my first blowout when I rode over a piece of metal that ruined my rear Continental Grand Prix 4000s. I quickly realized just changing the tube wouldn't work, so as I waited for my wife, I wondered if I needed to start bringing a spare tire. When I got home I searched the internet, learned how a boot works, and am now prepared should this happen again.
However, this incident made me rethink what I bring when I ride GMR. I've done it a few times the past couple of summers, usually go midweek, and start before sunrise. As a result, I rarely see anyone, and haven't tried my phone so I'm not even sure I can get a signal. I figured if I had a major breakdown, I could turn around and coast down to my car, but a shredded tire would make this difficult. Not the wisest way to be prepared, so my question is, what do you bring on GMR to ensure you can get back to your car? I don't want to have to rely on someone passing by to bail me out, or hope my phone works to call for help.
Even though I now have a boot kit, I will probably still add a spare tire to my supplies. So what does everyone take when you are far from home and help is no where around?
Thanks!
Brian
Old 12-29-19, 11:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
What is "GMR"?

I think I've only had one blowout in many years of riding.

Blew the bead off the tire in the middle of about a 150 mile ride. The tire was almost new. Unfortunately the bike had very little chainstay clearance. I stuffed a rag into the tire when it happened... and taped it up with electrical tape. I stopped to revise it a couple of times on the 20 mile ride to the nearest bike shop along the way, picking up anything along the road that looked like it would be useful. When I added the external string, I removed the brake pads.

I had electrical tape, but it was suggested that Gorilla Tape would have been good for my toolkit.

I have broken a few spokes. A spoke wrench is handy. For 32/36 or more spokes, one can true a wheel with one less spoke.

For lower spoke count wheels, spare spokes can be handy. Straight Pull spokes work well if replacing rear spokes.

I also like to have a chain tool with me. I haven't broken an 11s chain on the road yet, but I have broken 9s and fewer speed chains and done field repairs. Plus a pretty basic tool kit. Consider what would leave you dead beside the road.

I don't carry spare tires, unless I know my tire is nearly worn out. And, for a longer trip, just replace the tire with a good one.
Old 12-30-19, 12:35 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I carry a strip of an old inner tube as a boot and a dollar bill. Have had flats but riding GMR since 1998, never had a problem that kept me from getting home. It's all down hill from the shack. Now riding GRR it gets a little more risky with flats IMO.

I have been up there taking in the view and/or eating a bar and have had plenty of people ask if I were ok.

We have also done a few night rides up there with some forum people and friends. Had a couple flats out of 20 or so people. No biggie. We do take lights.

BTW, when you think you are alone, you ain't! There have been times I am riding on GRR thinking that if something happens, I'm all alone. Just then 4 or 5 guys who look like Chris Froome roll by and ask if I'm good!

I've actually come across a friend who was laid out on the road about 5 miles up. I rolled down, drove back up and drove him to safety. Another time, some dude on our ride was blown over by a big gust and knocked out cold, fractured bones. I rolled down and picked him up too driving him to safety.

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 12-30-19 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 12:44 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What is "GMR"?
If you're not from California, it is more than likely too tough for you!

GMR is Glendora Mountan Rd. 8 mile climb with about 2300 ft of gain.

Connected to GRR...Glendora Ridge Rd, it is a 20 mile climb with a little less than 5,000 ft gain. Out and back is about 5,000 ft total. Mostly downhill on the way back. From the shack on GMR, there is one little climb about 50-100 yards long then it IS ALL downhill to the bottom where many cyclists park.

Nice fun mountain road with plenty others to connect. Used in the Tour of California. Plenty of fast switchbacks on the descent.

Quite a few forum riders up there, pretty popular climb.

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 12-30-19 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 02:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i usually just take an additional inner tube and add it to the two pedro's tire levers, two inner tubes, small multitool and 3-5 dollars bills (for boots).
gmr/grr is a lot less flat/tire damage likely than mt. baldy rd. that downhill bites from the ski lifts to the left turn that heads to upland. lots of divots
in the pavement in the usual riding zone from falling rocks. not a descent to take pics on while in motion.
Old 12-30-19, 08:30 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I ride GMR-GRR alone frequently when the roads are closed on weekdays. It can be very quiet up there. No chance I am going to get a car rescue. I carry a used folding Gatorback for a spare, a boot, flat kit, levers, pump and two tubes, two chain links and a multi-tool. I also slow down on descents because fact is I have had come pretty close to deer on the road. I have let other riders use my pump because of CO2 malfunctions.

I prefer GMR-GRR over Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake because there seems to be less traffic (especially on the weekends) and sound carries better on GMR to warn of vehicles approaching.

I agree with booga, Mt Baldy Rd is rough going on the descent. I will take the lane to avoid portions of divots/gravel.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 12-30-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-30-19, 11:17 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I'd recommend a MIPS helmet if you are going to bomb down the descent =)
Old 12-30-19, 12:26 PM
CliffordK

Assuming you're riding up the mountain, then you have to pack everything you want up to the top.

If I was riding vintage sewups, then I'd definitely have a spare tire. Even so, the new tubulars without stitching, better flat protection, and sealants may negate some of the need of a spare.

With clinchers on a hill climb, spare tube and booting supplies, plus my tools... but I'd try to reduce the weight somewhat.

Originally Posted by Elvo
I'd recommend a MIPS helmet if you are going to bomb down the descent =)
For my Strava PR attempt on a local half mile hill, I decided to leave the helmet home, and go quite minimalistic. I still didn't quite take my KOM back.

But, I agree, a good helmet is important if conditions warrant it.
Old 12-30-19, 02:48 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to add a chain tool to my kit along with some of the other tips, and I think I'll be pretty well set. I really enjoy taking GMR/GMRR to Baldy Village, and my goal this summer is to make a loop by going up Baldy Road to the Village and down GMR/GMRR. I feel better prepared to handle things if a breakdown occurs. Baldy Road concerns me, but since I'll be going up, my slow speed should help me avoid puncture/blowout issues.
Thanks, again!
Old 12-30-19, 02:53 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Almost all of my rides are solo and long so there's really nothing extra I take up GMR. Minipump, Multitool with chain breaker, Tire levers, Spare tube, Patch kit, money, small pocket knife, CO2, spare chain link.
I do wrap a couple of feet of duck tape around each CO2 canister, but have never needed it.

I was glad I had the links and chain breaker when I broke a chain about half way back on GRR once. (new but defective chain) That would have been epic without it.

I do keep a large Carlisle bandage in the Camelback now after witnessing the aftermath of a crash on the SGRT.

I wont do 39 on a weekend, Weekdays are nice and quiet.

Last edited by TGT1; 12-30-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 05:34 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by stilllearning
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to add a chain tool to my kit along with some of the other tips, and I think I'll be pretty well set. I really enjoy taking GMR/GMRR to Baldy Village, and my goal this summer is to make a loop by going up Baldy Road to the Village and down GMR/GMRR. I feel better prepared to handle things if a breakdown occurs. Baldy Road concerns me, but since I'll be going up, my slow speed should help me avoid puncture/blowout issues.
Thanks, again!

About half way up Baldy rd, there are a couple of back to back tunnels. I would definitely use rear red blinkies climbing Baldy. The tunnels are dark and ascending traffic is fast.

But somehow, going through those tunnels, one usually finds a way to climb a little faster!
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 12-30-19, 08:12 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
About half way up Baldy rd, there are a couple of back to back tunnels. I would definitely use rear red blinkies climbing Baldy. The tunnels are dark and ascending traffic is fast.

But somehow, going through those tunnels, one usually finds a way to climb a little faster!
That's why I only descend Mt Baldy Rd. My 6 mph won't make a damn bit of difference to a truck rolling at 60 mph on my tail.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-30-19, 11:14 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
That's why I only descend Mt Baldy Rd. My 6 mph won't make a damn bit of difference to a truck rolling at 60 mph on my tail.

I hear that! I even hate descending Baldy Rd with the fast traffic and rocks/boulders. There have been times I have ridden GMR to the village with a group of 6 or so. Then been the only one to go back across GMR instead of descending Baldy.
Old 01-01-20, 05:52 PM
TGT1

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I hear that! I even hate descending Baldy Rd with the fast traffic and rocks/boulders. There have been times I have ridden GMR to the village with a group of 6 or so. Then been the only one to go back across GMR instead of descending Baldy.
I'll second that opinion.

I've driven that road hundreds of times and have no desire to do it either way on a bike.

GRR/GMR also puts me closer to home without the boring flat run back Baseline etc. which in the afternoon would probably be into a stiff headwind as well.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 01-01-20, 06:30 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I take the same stuff on the bike for GMR/GRR that I would for any other ride. It's not like it's Mars. I get much further from civilization just riding where I live.
Old 01-01-20, 07:09 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by TGT1
Almost all of my rides are solo and long so there's really nothing extra I take up GMR. Minipump, Multitool with chain breaker, Tire levers, Spare tube, Patch kit, money, small pocket knife, CO2, spare chain link.
I do wrap a couple of feet of duck tape around each CO2 canister, but have never needed it.

I was glad I had the links and chain breaker when I broke a chain about half way back on GRR once. (new but defective chain) That would have been epic without it.

I do keep a large Carlisle bandage in the Camelback now after witnessing the aftermath of a crash on the SGRT.

I wont do 39 on a weekend, Weekdays are nice and quiet.
Not a bad kit.
I prefer a pump to CO2.
And, also would add a spoke wrench.

A couple of my last broken spokes were actually descending. I'm not quite sure what caused them to break, but I was trying to push it over 55 MPH (close, but not quite), and probably was spinning faster than normally, and perhaps at a reasonable power.
Old 01-01-20, 07:16 PM
TGT1

Multitool has a spoke wrench and I do carry a minipump.

The pump works best for the original inflation and finding the source of a puncture. The CO2 means you wont be there all afternoon.
Old 01-01-20, 09:28 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Tubed bike - 2 tubes, boot material, skabs patches, 1 CO2, minipump, multitool (with chainbreaker), quick link, gaffers tape, tire levers, tweezers.

Tubeless bike - 1 tube, boot material, DynaPlugs, multitool (with chainbreaker), quick link, 2 CO2, minipump, gaffers tape, tire levers. I also check the tires to make sure there is plenty of sealant before heading up there.
Old 01-01-20, 10:15 PM
CAT7RDR

I rode solo up GMR and about five miles on GRR from the shack this morning. I started encountering ice on GRR at about 0900. I thought about continuing on but figured another 1,000 ft of climbing would bring more of the same. Discretion won the day and I headed back to ride down Lil GMR. It too was littered with rocks and toppled trees/branches. Nice obstacle course.
Likes For CAT7RDR: