Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Record Ace or Competition GS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 04:59 AM
maiello

Bikes: Peugeot (753r frame-1989), Raleigh (Reynolds 653-1991).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I was gifted a frame which I think is a Raleigh Competition GS according, possibly, to Sheldon Brown's website. But there are a couple of things on the frame that I can't find in any pictures of a corresponding GS but are on the Record Ace (cable guides on the top tube, raised nub by the gear shifter braze-ons for banded gear shifters and cable guides on top of the bottom bracket). I just wanted to be sure before renovating the frame. Details below.

Top Tube: L 56cm, diameter: 25.53mm at ends, 25.80mm in the middle
Down tube: L 61cm, diameter: 28.73mm in the middle, 29.05mm at the BB.
Seat tube: L 54.5cm, diameter: 28.8mm, outer. Inner diameter: 26.79. Wall thickness at the top opening 2.54mm
Dropouts: Campagnolo with eyelets.
Weight: Frame 2050g, forks 750g
Serial Number: WH9002514

Thank you,

Gerald
Old 04-05-20, 05:51 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
How certain are you of the seat tube opening? Has the binder been over-tightened?

Based on the Campagnolo dropouts, the RRA would be eliminated from consideration - as would everything else except the Professional, the Superbe, and the Competition. Based on the fact that there's both a nub to hold that shifter band on, and there being bosses, I would suspect that this bike saw some modifications somewhere along its journey. In this case, it's not implausible to think that the cable guides could have been modified as well (though am also wondering why bottle cage bosses weren't added also. This could also explain why the bike has lost its decals, as there would be some amount of repainting needed after the noted modifications.

I do think you have a Competition GS, but would take a closer look at the seat-post binding arrangement, as your reported diameter of 26.8 is the one piece of information that really doesn't seem to fit.
Old 04-05-20, 07:53 AM
maiello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
How certain are you of the seat tube opening? Has the binder been over-tightened?

Based on the Campagnolo dropouts, the RRA would be eliminated from consideration - as would everything else except the Professional, the Superbe, and the Competition. Based on the fact that there's both a nub to hold that shifter band on, and there being bosses, I would suspect that this bike saw some modifications somewhere along its journey. In this case, it's not implausible to think that the cable guides could have been modified as well (though am also wondering why bottle cage bosses weren't added also. This could also explain why the bike has lost its decals, as there would be some amount of repainting needed after the noted modifications.

I do think you have a Competition GS, but would take a closer look at the seat-post binding arrangement, as your reported diameter of 26.8 is the one piece of information that really doesn't seem to fit.
I've just remeasured and its come out as 26.94, a slight shift did take it to 27 but it was fleeting. Interestingly the rear spacing is 121mm

​​​​​
Old 04-05-20, 12:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
The Record Ace from that late 70s era was just for the UK market, I believe, so we don’t have much experience with them in the US.
Old 04-05-20, 12:37 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I have a similar issue with a bike I am just finishing and got good help with identification here on BF. I think mine is a 77 Completion frame, but some differences, like brake cable guides and water bottle attachments don't jive and, like yours may have been done before a repaint. If you are interested the thread is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ying-bike.html
I just need to put on new bar tape and reinstall the brake cables and mine will be done. As it does not fit me I will likely sell it after this COVID-19 situation ends.
Old 04-05-20, 01:03 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have two Competition GS. Is there anything I can check specifically? I had a look and your is earlier than both of mine as mine have cable guides under the BB and bottle bosses. They do not have the shifter mounts though. Everything else looks the same.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 04-05-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 02:41 PM
maiello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I have a similar issue with a bike I am just finishing and got good help with identification here on BF. I think mine is a 77 Completion frame, but some differences, like brake cable guides and water bottle attachments don't jive and, like yours may have been done before a repaint. If you are interested the thread is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ying-bike.html
I just need to put on new bar tape and reinstall the brake cables and mine will be done. As it does not fit me I will likely sell it after this COVID-19 situation ends.
​​​​​​Thanks for that, I"ll nip across and have a look/read...
just had a look. That is near identical to mine. The Raleigh Professional '79 definitely has the cable guides above the BB. No GS seems to have this feature. I did check Sheldon Browns site and he seems pretty sure, by the serial number that mine is a GS. But then....cable guides, rear spacing 121mm just casts that doubt....

Last edited by maiello; 04-05-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 02:43 PM
maiello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I have two Competition GS. Is there anything I can check specifically? I had a look and your is earlier than both of mine as mine have cable guides under the BB and bottle bosses. They do not have the shifter mounts though. Everything else looks the same.
Thank you. I did read somewhere that cable guides were in some sort of transition during '79. I suppose the biggest identifier is the serial number, but even so when one or two things don't match the catalogue picture....!
Just thought what's the serial number, any chance part of it is a reference to 'model'

Last edited by maiello; 04-05-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 03:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by maiello
Thank you. I did read somewhere that cable guides were in some sort of transition during '79. I suppose the biggest identifier is the serial number, but even so when one or two things don't match the catalogue picture....!
Just thought what's the serial number, any chance part of it is a reference to 'model'
Nope. Raleighs that were built in this facility, as well as Carltons built in the same facility (it had been the Carlton plant before Raleigh bought it) all used the same serial numbering. In 1979, this would have been Super Courses, Competitions, and Professionals would have all had serial numbers starting with W, and having the 3rd character 9... as would any Carlton-badged bicycles that were still being built.
Old 04-05-20, 05:12 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
​​​​​​Thanks for that, I"ll nip across and have a look/read...
just had a look. That is near identical to mine. The Raleigh Professional '79 definitely has the cable guides above the BB. No GS seems to have this feature. I did check Sheldon Browns site and he seems pretty sure, by the serial number that mine is a GS. But then....cable guides, rear spacing 121mm just casts that doubt....
My rear hub spacing is 126 mm. I have checked frame alignment and it is straight. Is it possible your rear dropouts have been pressed it?

Mine does not have the original hubs so it is possible whoever rebuilt it in the past spread the dropouts.
Old 04-07-20, 11:58 AM
maiello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
My rear hub spacing is 126 mm. I have checked frame alignment and it is straight. Is it possible your rear dropouts have been pressed it?

Mine does not have the original hubs so it is possible whoever rebuilt it in the past spread the dropouts.
Yeah, they could have done. I did read on a blog about SBDU frames that up to '79 spacing of 121-2 was common across bikes. Evidently only a 5-block was used or a super thin 6-block, can't remember the proper name for it...
Old 04-07-20, 02:12 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Yeah, they could have done. I did read on a blog about SBDU frames that up to '79 spacing of 121-2 was common across bikes. Evidently only a 5-block was used or a super thin 6-block, can't remember the proper name for it...
ULTRA - 6. My '77 (SB1092) has 126, if I recall correctly. I did a no-no and have a 9-speed cassette hub (130mm spacing) in between those 753 stays.
Old 04-07-20, 03:46 PM
maiello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
ULTRA - 6. My '77 (SB1092) has 126, if I recall correctly. I did a no-no and have a 9-speed cassette hub (130mm spacing) in between those 753 stays.
Ultra-6, that's it! Brave to put 130 on it. I bought a perthus pro, 753r, with a cracked chainstay as the chap had done exactly that! Repaired and resprayed for £80 runs like a dream. Here's the link to the blog that mentions OLN at 120.

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2018/08/3...ucts-division/
Old 04-07-20, 04:45 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Ultra-6, that's it! Brave to put 130 on it. I bought a perthus pro, 753r, with a cracked chainstay as the chap had done exactly that! Repaired and resprayed for £80 runs like a dream. Here's the link to the blog that mentions OLN at 120.

https://raleigh-sb4059.com/2018/08/3...ucts-division/
Ah yes. Neil's BLOG. Been following it for about 2 years.
Old 04-07-20, 09:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I thought that 753 couldn't be cold-set. At least that was the word when it came out. Did that change?
Old 04-08-20, 06:14 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by philbob57
I thought that 753 couldn't be cold-set. At least that was the word when it came out. Did that change?
When I did it, I was under the impression that it was made of 531, or I would not have attempted it. In truth, I did not likely "cold set" it so much as I was able to spread the dropouts wide enough to fit a 9-speed hub in there. I haven't measured it with calipers, so it might be slightly less than 130. It was several years ago, and I don't recall whether I had to go with different hardware to make it a bit narrower,