Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cancellation Crybaby Thread

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-24-20, 06:35 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

Early this year, I planned to participate in six different cycling events-- actually five plus the first one I was going to do on my own.
1. Mid- March: Cycle DC to Mt. Vernon and back for the day with a tour of the Mt. Vernon estate. This was going to be on my own, and I even booked my flight a day early for my meeting so I could do this ride.
2. Late March: American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure, Lake Nona, FL
3. May: North Fork Century in Long Island: A great opportunity to visit family and get in a century
4. August 15: Crater Lake Century in Oregon
5. October: GFNY Sebring, FL
6. November: Horrible Hundred: Clermont, FL

Now lets get some perspective. I'm healthy, my family is healthy and no one I know has this Corona virus. But one by one, either the meeting was cancelled, the event was cancelled or I'm not getting on a plane to travel there. So far, I'm not doing the first four events. I was pretty upset about this, but I've decided to devote 2020 to training for the 2021 spring season. There are some rides I want to do next year, which may include the Crater Lake Century.

Anyway, if you want to belly ache about events you were going to do, go ahead and cry with me.
Old 05-24-20, 07:21 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
And your point is????
Likes For Bmach:
Old 05-24-20, 07:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Early this year, I planned to participate in six different cycling events-- actually five plus the first one I was going to do on my own.
1. Mid- March: Cycle DC to Mt. Vernon and back for the day with a tour of the Mt. Vernon estate. This was going to be on my own, and I even booked my flight a day early for my meeting so I could do this ride.
3. May: North Fork Century in Long Island: A great opportunity to visit family and get in a century

Now lets get some perspective. I'm healthy, my family is healthy and no one I know has this Corona virus. But one by one, either the meeting was cancelled, the event was cancelled or I'm not getting on a plane to travel there. So far, I'm not doing the first four events. I was pretty upset about this, but I've decided to devote 2020 to training for the 2021 spring season. There are some rides I want to do next year, which may include the Crater Lake Century.

Anyway, if you want to belly ache about events you were going to do, go ahead and cry with me.

I was going to do BRAG. I am disappointed. I will get some Colorado riding in. No big event, but the best cycling anywhere.
Old 05-24-20, 07:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Sure... my 1st grandson was born 4/3. I was looking forward to the bris and having my family and friends all in attendance. The good news is I was there along with my son and the moyle, that's it, just the 3 of us. That was 7 weeks ago and I haven't seen him since.

So i'm sure there will be many opportunities for you to attend cycling events, but my grandson will never be 8 days old again.

But since i'm a glass over flows kind of guy, everyone is healthy. And the sun will come out tomorrow.
Old 05-24-20, 07:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I can understand the frustration. A lot of planning takes place for making the event[s] happen for both sides. Have a handful of friends, also including myself, that rarely take time off for a vacation... This year it was the supposed year most of them were going to leverage those days... not going to happen. Now with all the flooding going on, we'll never be above water to do a lengthy fun event.
Old 05-24-20, 07:38 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I had the Shamrock 8K canceled the weekend before the race, but all the early shutdown chaos meant I got stranded in New Orleans for an extra day, and Altanta for almost another day, so i would have been hard-pressed to make the start. I was woefully undertrained, anyway. They did do us right and sent us the race shirts and finish-line swag, plus a discount for the '21 race, but I don't think my work schedule will let me compete.

I was dissapointed that the Cap2Cap Williamsburg-Richmond-Williamsburg Century got canceled. The stars had aligned and I my work schedule had me in town for the first time in 3 years. I may do that ride solo this summer, but that's not as much fun as an organized event.

Also the Pedal the Parkway Jamestown-Williamsburg-Jamestown was canceled, it's the week after Cap2Cap, and my stoker is big enough to ride her own bike this year. I missed it for work last year, so we were looking forward to it. (she's been training)

This whole thing has also got my whole industry kinda spun-out and with it the certainty of a predictable, long-term schedule for next year. That likely means more contract work, so no real way to make plans for event participation too far in advance.
Old 05-24-20, 07:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob

When you feel it's safe to travel, regardless of whether it's organized or not, go out and cycle around Crater Lake on your own. It's everything it's cracked up to be... beautiful.

While you're there, go to Sisters and ride from Sisters to the top of McKenzie Pass (from that direction), down the other side (FUN!!!) then ride back through Santiam Pass. Very, very scenic and fun.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-24-20 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-24-20, 07:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Sure... my 1st grandson was born 4/3. I was looking forward to the bris and having my family and friends all in attendance. The good news is I was there along with my son and the moyle, that's it, just the 3 of us. That was 7 weeks ago and I haven't seen him since.

So i'm sure there will be many opportunities for you to attend cycling events, but my grandson will never be 8 days old again.

But since i'm a glass over flows kind of guy, everyone is healthy. And the sun will come out tomorrow.

Mazel Tov minus chopping off the wee-wee. Leave his President Johnson alone. You don't need to be a crook on his Dick Nixon. Leave Abe Lincoln's top hat on his head : P

Life is different now, I should not be here I should be out of town right now sleeping under the stars with a bunch of friends and fellow cyclists raising money for El Salvador 2/3 of the way into the ride getting the final night before we ride the final 60 miles home and have a big party with friends welcoming us home. I have learned to accept that things are different, it kinda sucks but if life was always peachy, pretty soon you would get tired of peaches and want some lemons. Me I am good with peach lemonade that is what life is. Some sweet some sour but in the end it isn't so terrible. Heck John Fogerty and family, Goldfnger and probably others are posting weekly videos of their songs done in isolation and it is pretty awesome. That alone is pretty well worth a little more time indoors.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-20, 07:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Mazel Tov minus chopping off the wee-wee. Leave his President Johnson alone. You don't need to be a crook on his Dick Nixon. Leave Abe Lincoln's top hat on his head : P
Sorry, 3000 years of unbroken tradition. Besides, you were most likely done in the hospital before you left.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-24-20, 08:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Sorry, 3000 years of unbroken tradition. Besides, you were most likely done in the hospital before you left.
I know I know and honestly it is more sanitary in the long term (no Richard Cheese) but still we can't be Nihilists from TBL and "cut of your Johnson,
"

Also

Last edited by veganbikes; 05-24-20 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:08 AM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Just be thankful you didn't fly to Hawaii and have to be stuck in your hotel room for 2 weeks only to get arrested when you're out for a walk or to get food because somebody snitched on you.
Old 05-25-20, 07:14 AM
CaptainPlanet

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My biggest complaint is no refund.
Old 05-25-20, 07:25 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Rented a 10 BR house in Sicily and was supposed to be cycling with 9 other buds in May for a couple of weeks. Sadly Mt Etna will have to wait for another time...
Old 05-25-20, 08:42 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
And your point is????
My point is that I'm upset about my cycling events that help motivate me have been cancelled or I've had to cancel them. At the same time, I'm grateful that my family is well. So the point of the thread is for anyone else who is upset about cancelled cycling plans to share. Misery loves company, even if it is for relatively minor things. But like GlennR said, "And the sun will come out tomorrow."
Old 05-25-20, 09:01 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Today the US will cross the 100,000 dead threshhold due to COVID. Maybe one of them or their families and friends will feel sorry for your loss of riding opportunity.

You know, you can ride your bike without it being an event and far away? The people who were lucky enough to recover from COVID will have scared lungs and limited lung function the rest of their life and may not be able to ride again.

But yeah, your problem is the big problem to worry about.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-25-20, 09:43 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
The (Louisville) mayor's Hike, Bike, and Paddle (Ohio river) was cancelled this year. But I figure by taking precautions to (hopefully) avoid the virus, I'll be around next year to participate. I can miss a ride, don't want to risk missing the rest of my life just to go on one.

Last edited by freeranger; 05-25-20 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-25-20, 10:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
I cancelled my two-week tour in MT & ID. Was set to fly to Missoula June 13th. I’m taking it in stride. Supposedly I get a full refund or credit for my $1,057 flight, but Delta’s website was not functioning well yesterday. Going to try again today. If I can’t get it to work I’ll take it up with my bank. I’ve saved the messages about a refund/credit as evidence.

Yesterday I started sketching out a post-Labor Day trip across PA. Is state park campgrounds reopen in my area I may do some long weekend trips. I can isolate well in those situations. Got 6 weeks of vacation I need to burn.
Old 05-25-20, 10:26 AM
Bulette

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
It's possible to recognize the bigger problems in the world, and to recognize the relatively insignificant "problems" in our own lives -- the thread is even titled the "Crybaby" thread! On that note, I'm crying about....

cancelling my own bike tour "event" in Utah -- I was supposed to be camping, biking, and hiking the National Parks this very week. RAGBRAI was also cancelled, which has traditionally been serious motivation for my own training. I'm also missing weekly group riding -- even as states are reopening, my local group is (wisely) advising we continue riding solo.

I've gotten in some good riding nonetheless, with the simple motivation of keeping from piling on the weight -- and I've started spinning the idea of using some vacation time to day-trip to some new and interesting ride starts.
Likes For Bulette:
Old 05-25-20, 10:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Today the US will cross the 100,000 dead threshhold due to COVID. Maybe one of them or their families and friends will feel sorry for your loss of riding opportunity.
Damn that's cold and VERY to the points.

What are we, a bunch of wusies?

I'm sure the "Greatest Generation" would be ashamed of us.
Old 05-25-20, 11:54 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No face . . . no personality . . . like a Martian . . .

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-25-20, 12:02 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts

Glad you got to be there.

On a other note. This reminded me of my short lived greeting card writing career. I actually did write some, but I stopped when I had writer's block, and came up with this one:

Outside fo card: Sorry I sneezed at your son's bris.

Inside of card: No need to invite me to the bat mitzvah.

I decided to stop writing them at that point, and stick to my career, which was comedy. Of course today, a card like that would actually sell, back in the early 90s, no.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-25-20, 12:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm resigned to the fact that this year is going to be sucky for tours. The only real problem I have is that the one I'm signed up for is saying my registration will be applied to 2021; and If I can't do that, cancellation will be subject to a 20% administrative fee. I'm not canceling, they are. Why should I need to pay a fee if I can't do it on a date I didn't sign up for??? ( I probably will, but you never know...)
Old 05-25-20, 02:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Just rescheduling, and changing plans for one of them, been wanting to ride the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Albany and still will be, just later in the season and will have to be hotels vs camping since most camp grounds seem to be staying canceled, particularly the state ones. We'd also planned on a stay in Maine but that'll probably end up canceled altogether.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-26-20, 03:39 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I would have been miffed if I'd prepaid for big event rides and hotel, travel, etc. I know some folks are discovering there are no refunds for some cancelled events.

But I haven't done any big event rides or t-shirt rides in years. Just not a priority.

And with my own health problems I'm riding solo until there's strong evidence the pandemic is ending. Which probably won't be until next year.

Some friends are considering a small group century ride around August. I'm in wait and see mode. But we may be able to do it safely, if we run it like a time trial, with a minute or two distance and regroup points to rest and chatter safely.
Old 05-26-20, 05:54 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts

You know, you can ride your bike without it being an event and far away? The people who were lucky enough to recover from COVID will have scared lungs and limited lung function the rest of their life and may not be able to ride again.

For some of us, it is possible to be sympathetic regarding the horrible effects that the pandemic has had on many thousands of people, and also, while keeping things in perspective, to regret the effects on our own lives.

The OP clearly indicated in his original post that he is one of these individuals. It seems that you, for whatever reason, are not. I hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy, and if not, you have my deepest sympathies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.