Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 03:21 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Your sons aren't named Billy and Dusty, by any chance, are they?
If there is a joke here I missed it so fill me in. Scott & Stanton are their names.
Old 05-26-20, 04:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
If there is a joke here I missed it so fill me in. Scott & Stanton are their names.
Two well-known Texans with beards like that -- Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZ Top.
Old 05-26-20, 06:46 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by madpogue
Two well-known Texans with beards like that -- Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill of ZZ Top.
Oh yeah! It makes perfect sense. One difference is neither one of mine are very "well dressed" most of the time
Old 05-26-20, 07:59 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Oh yeah! It makes perfect sense. One difference is neither one of mine are very "well dressed" most of the time
So I guess we won't be seeing them in Cowspokes jerseys anytime soon?

But now, I might be mistaken.....
Old 05-27-20, 03:56 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
You mean these guys?
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-27-20, 08:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I saw ZZ Top on their Eliminator Tour in 1983 or 84. It was in Abilene TX. Typical concert except for this:

Towards the end, someone from in front of the stage threw a bottle up and beaned one of the 2 guitarists in the head. I can't remember if they stopped playing, or just went to some kind of solo while he went to the side of the stage and had it sewed up. He then came back and they finished the show. In the paper the next day, they said something to the effect of "if Abilene was going to be like that, they would never return." I don't think they have.

The one song from that show that sticks out is a song about black stockings with a solo that seemed to go on forever. It wasn't "I'm a Fool for Your Stockings." It's a different song. I wish I could find it.

Edit: It was Jan. 18, 1984. I can't find the set list. Night Ranger was the opener and put on a good show as well.

Last edited by seypat; 05-27-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 01:42 PM
texaspandj

Since my business was closed due to state orders my wife's persistent talk about side business was starting to make sense to me. Even before closure she told me I should think about opening a bicycle repair service. She'd say you like doing it why not make some extra cash. I'd respond with I enjoy it because it's a hobby Not a job. I told her I didn't want to deal with paper work and the like. But alas I hung a shingle. TC's Bike Repair. (By appointment only). Yeah Not a Shop just a repair service using my regular business building. It started making more sense to me when my neighbor who works at wsllmsrt said they were sold out of bikes. I'm not sure if it's because everyone's buying bikes or China ain't shipping them. But I've noticed way more people riding on the paths I run on. Anyways, wifey made cards, and is getting me a tool chest. I have my regular tool chest and my other for guitar repair. I have 2 bags for bike builds. One is for regular maintenance and the other is for complete overhauls. But a tool chest with drawers will make it so much more convenient. Oh one more thing, my wife called the local bike shop and asked about tune up prices and they said they're 2 months out.If I​​​​​​ don't get any customers at least I have a new tool chest
We plan on opening our Regular business next week with very limited students and see how it goes.
And finally, I asked my wife to pick up some cables from wmart in case a prospective customer needs it and she sent me this pic of empty shelf.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-27-20, 06:56 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Great idea!
Let me know if you need cable housing, I have much more than I will ever need.
Old 05-27-20, 07:24 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
Great idea!
Let me know if you need cable housing, I have much more than I will ever need.
+1. Making money with your passion.
Old 05-27-20, 08:20 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Sounds cool about the biz Tony , keep it going . OK here is a survivor and a friendly price for what it is , as always not mine and I don't know the owner .
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...128338676.html
Old 05-28-20, 01:38 AM
Nihog

Bikes: Brompton 3 speed sram 1999; RM Birdy City folding bike 2015; "mystery" japanese road bike from 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mystery bike on my hands that all in all is just about exactly a Centurion but still seem not to be. Would it be a terrible crime to pretend it is and paint it like and Ironman :-) Like this one above but maybe go with the "negative" of this one, having white forks and red seat tube.

N.
Old 05-28-20, 05:38 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Nihog
I have a mystery bike on my hands that all in all is just about exactly a Centurion but still seem not to be. Would it be a terrible crime to pretend it is and paint it like and Ironman :-) Like this one above but maybe go with the "negative" of this one, having white forks and red seat tube.

N.
Which centurion bike does it resemble, Can you post a pic?
Old 05-28-20, 07:09 AM
Nihog

Bikes: Brompton 3 speed sram 1999; RM Birdy City folding bike 2015; "mystery" japanese road bike from 1989

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. Unfortunately I cant post pictures yet but I can share a link to my google drive with the pictures:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-0xofWAqRxv5d3EB91VXsTVNnUwR4nzh?usp=sharing

A full picture of the bike: drive.google.com/file/d/1MnVMxfugCwlkdGU8kT5P1rC8WjOhEYgp/view?usp=sharing

The bike has more or less the exact parts etc as the Centurion Le Mans from 1989. The only difference I can find would be handlebars, and that fact that the serial number seems just off. You can see it in pictures.

Serial number: K9D5102 on bottom bracket stamped across so readable from front of bike looking back
Frame size: 61cm from crank center to top of tube
Seat post: SR Laprade 26,9mm (Dated late 1988) seat post measured several times and it really is more than 26,6..
Stem: Sakae 22mm
handlebars: SR Sakae Custom (stamped with "anatomic bend, Modolo pat.)
Headset cone marked: "Tange Pat pend"
wheels: Araya 700c
hubs: Shimano F/RH-A451 (Stamped "ML")
Drop out measurement: 126mm
Cassette: 7 speed ( freehub, must check but think Uniglide) hub has that "bulge" on drive side
Group all around is Exage sport LX stuff:
Rear derail: A452
front derail: A452
Shifters: A-453 (7s) white rubber
Brakes: Exage sport A450 SLR (stamped "MK") with white hoods
Pedals: Exage sport, white with a plastic white cage
Cranks: Shimano 170 (stamped "MI")
Front: 42 and 52 T Biopace
Old 05-28-20, 07:25 AM
Nihog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and of course, it has been repainted in all white and it does look kind of cool this way. But paint job is a serious case of "orange peel rat can not-sure-what-I-am-doing". Sooo, since it is as close to a Centurion I likely will find out, then why not pick a classic paint look and "pretend" its an Iron man or Le Mans ;-)

Its that or go with a "real" paint job using the original pearl white paint that is on the fork and cranks.

N.
Old 05-28-20, 11:32 AM
seypat

Great help in times of need

56 before starting restoration

Starting to strip the 40 year old paint
Here is the 56 as requested. Its now completely striped and all the trim removed. I hope to get primer on it tomorrow. Then it will suffer a slight delay along with the rest of our normal life. Our town was hit by a F1 tornado and my shop building is now a drive through. We have spent the last three days trying to secure the building and cutting trees that went down. We still have a lot to do.

The back wall and some of the roof is gone too. Picture looks dark because it was taken when we went over to check on it at daylight Saturday morning after the storm.
Ironman content... Samaritans Purse is here helping with the cleanup. The Ironmaiden and two of her sisters are on the team. They have helped with them in Joplin Mo. & Moore Ok. The second from the oldest had to teach some dude how to run a chainsaw today lol
I talked to the brother in WF this morning. He said the same storm that produced the Bowie tornado was raining softball sized hail up in Burkburnett. Must have been a heck of a storm!

For those that do the HNH, the route passes through the once booming town of Burkburnett.
https://aoghs.org/petroleum-pioneers/burkburnett-oil/

Last edited by seypat; 05-28-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 02:46 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by seypat
I talked to the brother in WF this morning. He said the same storm that produced the Bowie tornado was raining softball sized hail up in Burkburnett. Must have been a heck of a storm!

For those that do the HNH, the route passes through the once booming town of Burkburnett.
https://aoghs.org/petroleum-pioneers/burkburnett-oil/
Yes the giant hail was on the news we watched before we got hit. There was a picture of a hailstone as big as a softball and a hole to match all the way through the roof and ceiling.
It also passes through Electra. My mother was born there in 1919. Granddad was working on a rig there. He died before I was born but I was named after him.
Old 05-29-20, 02:02 PM
texaspandj

Guys, thanks for the encouragement for the new side business.
On to other news. Initially, for this season, riding was taking a back seat to my other fitness endeavors. But now it's time for it to take front and center. This all all due to RT's invite to the HnH ...100. Since the S-I-P I've gained 15 pounds, however I'm in pretty good cardio shape.
So starting June 1st my workout schedule will change to: Running 30 minutes on treadmill in the morning M-F.
Biking 20 miles M, W and F. Biking 26 miles T and Th. On Saturdays running 4-6 miles. Sundays biking 50 miles every other Sunday.
So basically running 6 days a week and biking 6 days a week. Hopefully this will get me down to 175 pounds. Cause I can't stop eating 😂 I just gotta do more.
Along with that I'll continue doing bag work and lifting weights 2 days a week.
July will bring more changes and more mileage in preparation for "The Ride".
Any changes in your routine for y'all in June?
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-01-20, 10:46 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Guys, thanks for the encouragement for the new side business.
On to other news. Initially, for this season, riding was taking a back seat to my other fitness endeavors. But now it's time for it to take front and center. This all all due to RT's invite to the HnH ...100. Since the S-I-P I've gained 15 pounds, however I'm in pretty good cardio shape.
So starting June 1st my workout schedule will change to: Running 30 minutes on treadmill in the morning M-F.
Biking 20 miles M, W and F. Biking 26 miles T and Th. On Saturdays running 4-6 miles. Sundays biking 50 miles every other Sunday.
So basically running 6 days a week and biking 6 days a week. Hopefully this will get me down to 175 pounds. Cause I can't stop eating 😂 I just gotta do more.
Along with that I'll continue doing bag work and lifting weights 2 days a week.
July will bring more changes and more mileage in preparation for "The Ride".
Any changes in your routine for y'all in June?
Well, I got the running up to 1 mile at a time, then 2 at a time. Legs are still weak, but at least I'm doing it. Fall marathon team training team was supposed to start this week. It will be virtual until it is not. That means I have to bump the runs up to 3 at a time. Taking some short bike rides. Creeping along, trying to get back in shape. No explosion in the legs at all.

In other news, some of my prime, weekend, daytime time slots for riding have been taken up by possibly the most tedious family activity ever. My daughter got her learner's permit just about the time the virus crisis started. We have been going to the local high school and practicing her driving skills. This past Saturday, she wanted to keep going, so we did 2 hours worth before we went home. There is a grade school next to the high school with parking lots as well. Still, 2 hours of looping around in parking lots at 5-10 mph is torture. I hope I'm racking up the Dad points. My wife is a backseat driver no matter who is at the wheel. That's why I have to do it. Uuuuggghhh!
Old 06-03-20, 01:59 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
If the end of May is an indication...
100.25 on Saturday. 10 of us started and finished pretty much together.
So, we talked about it over Margaritas....called a couple friends.

100.31 on Sunday. 5 of of us started and finished together.
Margaritas again, as Culver's was closed.

Root beer floats tonight.
Dang RT! That's impressive and intimidating to me. I'm currently in no condition to do a century much less 2 back to back. But I'm counting on being ready for "the Ride" come August. I'm wondering what kind of hot, Is it humid like central Texas or is it a dry heat?
Old 06-03-20, 03:06 PM
texaspandj

I received this care PKG today from rccardr
Thank you Doc and it is very much appreciated.
I posted about no cables at Wmart and next thing you know this shows up...THIS GUY.

Old 06-05-20, 07:25 AM
texaspandj

From time to time I post my riding routine, goals, or schedule. I think secretly it's to have a track (for myself) of what I was doing, when I look back years from now. I know they're threads about these things, however some other threads folks are not always as cool. Besides where would I see C-Cats detailed workout post or RTs inhuman(e) rides, or Mr. Westis keep it fun or stay home comments. If you don't think people here are cool check out the previous post.
Which brings me to the to the following question. Now of course you don't have to own a Centurion to post here. But do you have to be Cool to own one or are you Cool because you own one. I guess it's like which came first the chicken or the egg...the world may never know.
Keep the rubber side down Ironkids.
Old 06-05-20, 11:55 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

This topic has been discussed numerous times, and I have looked through the various threads on lowering the gearing, but I need some clarification on a couple of things.
Here is what is on my 86 IM now:
50/34 with a 7 speed 14 – 28
Shimano 600 FD/RD

The current set up works well, but I want lower gearing for some of the steeper climbs. I could use a 7 speed Shimano Megarange, but that jumps from 24 to 34, and I would lose the 28, which is fine for a lot of my climbing. So, it seems the least expensive way for me to lower things is to go with a triple crank.

What I have learned will work:
A 110/74 BCD triple that is square tapered, or a 110 BCD Sugino or Sakae double drilled w/74 holes.
I’ve read that those triples need a BB that is a 3U 124.5mm measuring 32-52-40.5. Thanks to Sheldon Brown’s site, I now understand what those numbers mean.

Here is what I need clearer information on:
Are there other makes of triples that would work with my 7 speed?
If so, would those need a different BB than the 3U 124.5mm?
How difficult is it to find the 3U 124.5 BB? I've looked around a little, but haven't seen any.
I’ve read that the 600 FD will work with a triple, I’ve also read it will not. Which should I believe?
Is my 600 RD okay for a triple? If not, I have a Suntour V-GT Luxe I could use.
Will my shifters, currently set up as friction, work with a triple?

I’m sorry if these questions have been answered before, but after going down the rabbit hole of all the possibilities, I think I have finally settled on something that is doable for me. This forum has been a fantastic resource already, but any extra advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Brian
Old 06-06-20, 05:37 AM
texaspandj

^^^ seypat
Old 06-06-20, 06:24 AM
seypat

Headed to my office now where the bike cave is. When I get there I will expand on the triple question.
Old 06-06-20, 08:12 AM
KiwiMtnClmbr 

Bikes: 11 Kona Jake, 08 Kona Ute, 05 Klein Q-Pro XV, 86 Centurion Elite RS

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sizing question help on the Ironman cousin: 1992 Diamond Back Master TG

I've found one I can actually afford but seller's measurements are confusing me as to the frame size. I haven't been able to find the exact geometry on these through research, although most reference 88-89 Lemans as possible matches (the "Centurion Lemans" was still sold in Australia in 90-92 and from interwebs pics seems to be tig-welded without lugs so that's a kind of confirmation of sorts).

What 'size' do you think this thing is with the following numbers?

Center to top of tube: 61cm
Center to center: 59 cm
Center to top of post/scallop: 63 cm

I think this has oversize tubing which may be throwing off my comparison to Ironman / Lemans frames. I currently have a very beat 58cm '86 Elite RS which I just barely fit on as I work on flexibility and stretching out (and I would sell on to keep the DB as it's in better running shape and I don't have time/work space right now for a project). Is this going to be about the same or a whole size bigger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.