Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sora 9 speed R3000 upgrade, I need new brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 08:04 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I had a worn 9 speed ultegra triple on Trek 2100 and have updated it to Sora R3000 also a 9 speed.
Brakes are still the older Ultegra and are not the best, They work at slow speed, but can't apply enough pressure when I have any momentum.
Do I need to update to R3000 brake to correct the difficulty in applying the brakes. Or can I update to them to Ultegra BR-R8000 units?
Price wise BR
561 seem to be less expensive how about performance?

Currently Know I need to be able to stop, and I ride on the hoods most of the time. Not safe on the road...

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 08-01-20 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 10:53 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
How old are the brake pads? The rubber will harden over time, rendering the pads pretty much useless. If the brake pads are worn or old, switch them out to pads from Kool-Stop, Swiss Stop or Disco Brakes. Also, try compressionless brake housing. This really helps eliminate sponginess. Your Ultegra brakes should work fine with Sora levers.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanica...-brake-housing
Old 07-28-20, 11:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...Ultegra brakes work fine with decent pads and a clean rim, if the cables are correctly run and there are no mechanical issues.
Matching your brakes to your crank has nothing to do with their performance, so you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 07-29-20, 12:07 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Did you also get R3000 levers? If so you may get better performance with R3000 brakes or other current generation Shimano brakes. Shimano's brake cable pull ratio terminology is insanely confusing, but basically there's:
Super SLR - Essentially the same as Campagnolo/Sram, I think most things from the 9 speed era and older? Don't quote me on that. Includes the BR-6500 you probably have on your bike.
New Super SLR - Pulls more cable, from approximately the 10 speed era.
Super SLR EV - Current 11 speed, and also R3000 and 4700. Relatively close to New Super SLR but with a slightly different brake pull curve, if I understand correctly.

You can mix and match a little, especially between New Super SLR and Super SLR EV, but it's out of spec and performance can be a little off.

If you have the same levers, you probably won't make your braking better with new calipers. New pads, clean rims, new cables/housing (possibly compressionless) will help.
Old 07-29-20, 01:25 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
To add to the the answers already given the position of the levers and the amount of freepull on the levers can make a huge difference.
Basically good bike fit.
Old 08-01-20, 09:28 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have Sora R3000 levers, front and rear derailleur and maybe the brake pull is not right for the much older 9 speed ultegra brakes? They look new so thought it would be ok to leave them on the bicycle.
I have clean rims, new brake pads, new cables & proper brake housing,

Sora R3000
Tiagra 4700
105 R7000
all of the above have a
different lever pull curve from the older 6500 brakes is that my current problem? Will the Sora R3000 provide a decent braking improvement from the hoods, or should I move up to the 105 R700 to provide better braking experience with the Sora R3000 brifters?

Where do the BR561 fit in this new shimano brake world? Do they have similar lever pull curve to the newer brake levers?

Still confused...

Maybe I did not explain my upgrade correctly when I first posted, Yet with another small test ride I know braking from the hoods i am unsafe trying do an quick safe stop, should I have another cyclist or vehicle require me to make an emergency stop.

The older 6500 brakes may still be effective if I brake from the drops and not from the hoods? My riding style has changed, I am now on the top of the bars and not in the drops very often.
The older brakes worked well with the older brifters, but remember hard braking was always better from the drops. I am now older and not as aggressive as I was once, but was taken by surprise when I did not stop as I perceived was normal for this bicycle after changing out all but a fine looking example of silver brakes.

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 08-01-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-02-20, 12:06 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
In my experience they all work really well. BR-R7000 has better pads with retainers, but the Sora/Tiagra pads work fine and can be replaced with two piece brake pads in the future.