Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

How to find types of handlebars?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

How to find types of handlebars?

Old 10-06-20, 12:19 PM
Don.johnson

Bikes: None yet!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question How to find types of handlebars?

Hi, I am a new cyclist, and still working on finding hybrid bikes for my wife and me. We see there are many drop and flat handlebars, and I am concerned that neither of these is good for me, as I am having issues with my shoulder and wrist (I have been in PT to try to fix this.).

My question then is how to find out what kind of bars are available to ease stress on wrist and shoulder, and to allow a little more upright ride?

I have seen one in my other thread that I might like (from gorillimo ) but don't know how to identify it or find out if there are other similar ones.

Thanks in advance for your direction!
​​​​​​
Old 10-06-20, 12:56 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
I'll be the first (likely not the last) to recommend you consider trying a Jones bar.
https://jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-b...loop-aluminum/
Lot's of options for different hand positions, looks pretty cool, and not terribly priced.
Old 10-06-20, 03:25 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
SOMA is another mfr who makes bars with more sweep. https://www.somafab.com/parts/handlebar Many casual riders prefer the bars with more sweep, finding it easier on the wrists than a bar which is fairly straight across. Lots of bars on the usual shopping sites also, such as https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=1678 You will need to know what clamp diam. you need, will most likely be 31.8, but verify with the shop when you buy your bikes.

Last edited by freeranger; 10-06-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-09-20, 10:24 AM
Don.johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so I guess the proper terminology I need is sweep and rise, to provide the least problems for my wrists and shoulders. Is that right?

If so, are there common settings - like 45 degrees on the sweep or 4 inches rise, or something like that, that I should specifically consider, or to specifically avoid?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-09-20, 12:20 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
As the saying goes "different strokes for different folks". Applies to handlebars, as there is little if any commonality among what riders prefer. RIse is how high above the bar is above the stem. Sweep is the degree at which the the bar angles back toward you, and width is distance between the outermost tips of the bar. The more rise, the higher the bar is above the stem, and the straighter up you will be. Sweep is the amount the bar bends back toward you. A bar with zero sweep would be straight across. A bar with 90 degree sweep would have the ends of the bar 90 degrees bent back. You will need to find what works for you-perhaps look at the bars on the different sites to see what looks like it might work for you. If your LBS has a variety of bars in stock, might just put your hands on some to see what sweep you think feels best to you. I hesitate to make a recommendation on what will work for someone, as we all have our preferences. Something like a Soma Clarence bar (or similar) looks like something I might like on a hybrid (I have drop bar road bike and a mtn bike-no hybrid yet), but it's personal, like saddles, so you need to go with what works for you.
Old 10-09-20, 12:59 PM
argulator

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix, 2020 Trek FX3 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Stem risers and/or adjustable stems will allow you to move the handlebar closer and higher allowing you to sit more upright, which will help take weight off your wrists (and maybe cause other problems.....). I have a trekker bar on my bike, which allows many different hand positions.
Old 10-09-20, 02:24 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Different sweeps will feel better to some vs. others. And riding position makes a big difference also. I personally do NOT care for the 30-45 degree sweeps like on Jones bar, Moloku bar, etc. I like something in the 15-20 degree range...that's what's most comforable to me. Or...give me something that's really straight back, like a north roads bar. That in-the-middle 45 degree angle just doesn't work for me and my wrists.

Unfortunately, there are few "correct answers" in cycling...other than do what suits and fits you. That often takes a bit of trial and error to discover.
Old 10-09-20, 07:30 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts

This is a Jones H- Bar on a Jamis Coda
Old 10-10-20, 06:25 PM
Don.johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all...this is a learning experience, and it has been most helpful. I will be hopefully dropping in on my local shops to see if I can get my hands on some of these types to help narrow down my options.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-12-20, 07:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
And riding position makes a big difference also.

Unfortunately, there are few "correct answers" in cycling...other than do what suits and fits you. That often takes a bit of trial and error to discover.
What he said ^
No matter what handlebars you get, if you're hunched over your bars and putting too much weight on your wrists, nothing is going to seem comfortable.
Old 10-12-20, 10:48 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
https://whatbars.com/

Look for bars with back sweeps around 30-40 deg for wrist and hand pain. I am a youngerish person with rheumatoid arthritis, and recently tried the Koga Denham bar. I love the backsweep of it, but it is pricey. I found one that subtracts the bar extensions with a very similar back sweep called the Gusset Stash is a great one, I have it as well. That 30-40 degree back sweep really is the sweet spot. Jones bars are all in that range as well.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=47145

It needs a modern stem clamp diameter of 31.8mm.

For shoulder pain you need to be more upright, taller stem, with shorter reach.
Old 10-12-20, 10:48 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
To relieve wrist and shoulder pain you need a bike with an upright riding position. Or you can use an extender to raise the handlebar on the bike you already own. Some people can ride all day long on flat bars with no issues, some are most comfortable with bars with 45 or other degrees of sweep. The best way to know what works for you would be to test different types of bikes, even then you may need adjustments and tweaks a few weeks/months down the road. Keep in mind that more upright position may require a saddle change. I went with a wider saddle after raising the handlebar about 1.5"-2".
Old 10-13-20, 07:56 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Don.johnson
I have seen one in my other thread that I might like (from gorillimo ) but don't know how to identify it or find out if there are other similar ones.

Thanks in advance for your direction!
​​​​​​
Hi. I got them off Amazon. Noirette plus handlebars.
And, ya know. The Lemond sizing method probably will get you in the ballpark. My Cross Check is the best fitting bike I think I’ve owned. His formula puts me on a 48.7. Mines a 48.!

Last edited by gorillimo; 10-13-20 at 09:57 PM.