Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1950s flip-flop hubs and freewheels

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-19-20, 11:31 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts

Hello folks!

So often I come across original British bikes from the post-war era that are equipped with flip-flop hubs utilizing freewheels (commonly 3-4 speed, but sometimes 5). Most of the contemporary rear hubs I come across online from manufacturers such as Bayliss-Wiley and British Hubs do not seem to have extended threading on one side and are typically meant to accept fixed cogs and lock rings on both sides. Are these hubs able to accept a freewheel on one side despite the short threads and step-downs for the lock rings, or do I need to be searching for something specific when I'm researching period-correct hubs to use with a freewheel?

Thank you!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 10-19-20 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-19-20, 02:32 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
I'd have no problem putting a single speed freewheel on a fixed/fixed hub. And I probably wouldn't worry too much about a 3-5 speed freewheel either. Maybe if I planned tens of thousands of hard miles on the hub, I'd look for a fixed/free. But no, not worried on the light miles my old janky bikes get.
Likes For iab: