Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walmart bike or Gravity bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart bike or Gravity bike

Old 10-20-20, 09:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm with Hondo on this one, if I owned a bike that didn't need constant tinkering I'd probably grow bored with it.
OH BS! You would love ever wrenching moment on that bike. Learn her curves and all been around bikes too long. That’s OK.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-20-20, 09:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That is because vintage Motobecanes were completley normal bicycles, some of very good quality and all at least pretty good, mass-produced by a famous French company (which means the BB threading was .... well, French.) So, yes ... . the frames were tha same as all the other bikes, and the components were the same too so .... no special extra maintenance.

Motobecane sold its name to some consortium/conglomerate/corporate octopus a while back so ....

Modern Motobecanes are still completely generic frames with generic parts. Some have high-end frames, some more mediocre frames. Some have high-end parts, some have lower-range parts. in any case, the frames are produced in the same factories that make 90 percent of all bike frames, and the components are produced by the same handful of companies which mass-produce the components most of us use daily. So .... no difference in durability or special maintenance needed.

Fact is most bikes in certain price ranges are nearly identical except for the down-tube decal.

Motobecane is mainly marketed by BieksDirect in the US as far as I know .... and I have a lot of experience with other BD bikes (which could have been Motobecanes, except BD decided to call them something else for a little variety) and they were absolutely fine bikes. because they were basically to any other bike from any manufacturer in that price/component range.

However .... that Walmart monstrosity the OP displayed .... I have bought pizzas with longer life spans.
Yup, Motos have flaws that why bike Psychopaths like us fix them up. They run forever
Old 12-24-20, 11:19 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
why do you want suspension for your riding? it seems excessive unless you have some very severe diagnosed injuries. otherwise, it's just dead weight and more stuff that will fail and cause headaches. beyond that, I know stubborn people are going to be stubborn, so I can't help you.
Old 12-24-20, 11:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
why do you want suspension for your riding?
I wondered that too. Overall, most "jogging paths" I see are kept pretty smooth otherwise the joggers won't want to jog there.
Old 12-25-20, 10:49 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I’ve ridden on dirt jogging paths with a 40 year old Bianchi racing bike that had 25mm tires. i think people underestimate bikes.
Likes For Mogens: