Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help me de-uglify my bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 07:00 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love this bike. I bought it to be my go-fast(er) recreational ride, but it is quickly turning into my main commuter. My problem is that adding all the stuff that makes it practical as a transportation bike has somewhat diminished its beauty.

I'm looking at you, big old UGLY saddle bag.

That saddle bag handles all the stuff that is always on the bike (flat fix kit, various velcro straps and bungee cords, some tools, rain cover for the helmet, etc. It's very functional and, unlike a trunk bag, doesn't interfere with the panniers. But it is ugly and totally out of proportion to the bike.

So, I'm toying with adding a front mini rack and rando bag. I'm looking at the Nitto M-12. I like the Acorn compact rando bag. Any other suggestions? Anything less pricey? I'd be glad to consider options that aren't specifically designed for front racks. I don't want anything huge because the bike itself is on the small side (51 cm).

Old 11-27-16, 07:51 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
What tools do you need to carry with you? I have a small multi tool and haven't needed it more than 1 time in the 2 years that I have commuted. Try simplifying your load and see where you are at before you take something off the back, and add something more to the front.
Old 11-27-16, 07:53 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I honestly don't think that a front rack/pannier is any less ugly than what you currently have on. It's all in the eye of the beholder, but I don't it looks ugly. To me, as soon as you put on a rack it ceases to be elegant and takes on a more utilitarian appeal.

And I'm surprised you don't have fenders. I'm sure it trains in Memphis too. Though I don't feel fenders detract from that elegance the way a rack does.
Old 11-27-16, 08:11 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I honestly don't think that a front rack/pannier is any less ugly than what you currently have on. It's all in the eye of the beholder, but I don't it looks ugly. To me, as soon as you put on a rack it ceases to be elegant and takes on a more utilitarian appeal.

And I'm surprised you don't have fenders. I'm sure it trains in Memphis too. Though I don't feel fenders detract from that elegance the way a rack does.
It rains a lot in Memphis! I have another bike with fenders, but I'll probably put fenders on this one soon. Probably sks longboard fenders.
Old 11-27-16, 08:55 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
What tools do you need to carry with you? I have a small multi tool and haven't needed it more than 1 time in the 2 years that I have commuted. Try simplifying your load and see where you are at before you take something off the back, and add something more to the front.
A quick inventory of the saddle bag: Inner tube, multi-tool, tire levers, 2 latex gloves, tire bead jack, click stand, helmet cover, a couple of velcro straps, and a super thin high-vis rain jacket are always in there. Sometimes I also have a rain cover for the saddle in there. When I get on the bike, I add a glass case and a wallet with my cell phone in it.

I have an Abus bordo lock and a mini pump held down by bungee cords on the rack. The bordo used to go in the saddle bag until I got the click stand.

The pannier (an Ortlieb front roller classic) holds a change of clothes, lunch, and whatever else I need for the day.
Old 11-27-16, 09:04 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
A quick inventory of the saddle bag: Inner tube, multi-tool, tire levers, 2 latex gloves, tire bead jack, click stand, helmet cover, a couple of velcro straps, and a super thin high-vis rain jacket are always in there. Sometimes I also have a rain cover for the saddle in there. When I get on the bike, I add a glass case and a wallet with my cell phone in it.

I have an Abus bordo lock and a mini pump held down by bungee cords on the rack. The bordo used to go in the saddle bag until I got the click stand.

The pannier (an Ortlieb front roller classic) holds a change of clothes, lunch, and whatever else I need for the day.

I think your saddle bag is what is making your bike look a bit messy.

If you had a trunk bag(and maybe a new rack with snap on quick release fittings), things would look a lot better and you could put your Bordo lock where your seat tube water bottle cage is.
Old 11-27-16, 09:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Trunk Bag, Black hand grips, Black pedal straps.

Old 11-27-16, 09:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out Velouria's Lovely Bicycle blog. She has great practical and fashionable sense for bikes, racks, bags, accessories and clothing.

Alas, I'm too cheap to buy most of the stuff I liked from her blog reviews.

Also, check the C&V forum for ideas. Lots of good looking and sensible bags discussed there, along with photos.

I needed a weatherproof bag for hauling my photo gear and related accessories. I'd been looking at various waterproofed cotton/canvas and similar bags, but those aren't really rainproof enough for photo gear. Then I checked waterproofed nylon bags, but the rolltop designs, which very effective, aren't quickly accessible enough for quick stops and taking photos during rides.

So I snagged an Agu Qyoto handlebar bag from Nashbar when I went on sale for $20 a couple of weeks ago. Even at the current price of $40 it's a good value. Agu is in the Netherlands so I figured they'd know how to make weatherproof bags.

Not classically fashionable but a clean, uncluttered appearance with a practical canteen bag design with semi-rigid sides. And the padding from my old cotton canvas Beseler canteen bag fit perfectly. Quick on/off via the Klickfix mount (included with the Nashbar version of the bag, despite the original packaging from Agu claiming it doesn't include the Klickfix adapter).

Main problem with the Agu bag is really more an issue with the Klickfix design. It mounts the bag top above handlebar height, so it blocks handlebar mounted lights, video cameras, etc. I've mounted my light to the head tube below the bag, with I prefer for the light angle anyway (it emphasizes road debris, ruts, etc., giving me a slight edge in anticipating and correcting my line). But it reduces the effectiveness of the headlight as a to-be-seen light.

My Univega frame includes rack eyelets midway down the frame, a nice way to mount less obtrusive front racks. If I go that route I'll probably move the Agu bag lower.

But I wouldn't recommend it as a tool bag. For now I'm using an old generic ballistic nylon waist bag strapped to my saddle for days when I want a more complete set of tools, a tube, spare batteries, etc. It's about the size I need but not as convenient as a purpose-designed saddle bag. I'm considering a Banjo Brothers or similar saddle bag for hauling stuff that won't be ruined if rain soaks through.

Of the smaller saddle bags I've actually handled in person the Serfas medium Speed Bag looked really good. Very practical design with lots of little compartments to organize smaller bits and pieces, sturdy design with well finished seams and stitching. I'd planned to buy a JandD, which the LBS also had, but the Serfas is a better bag for the same money.

Last edited by canklecat; 11-27-16 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-28-16, 10:19 AM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a beautiful bike; I think it's just the unstructured saddle bag that takes away from it.

I purchased a trunk bag big enough to hold my U-lock (that was my yes/no decision for a bag). Mini pump fits in there, too, as other necessities. I don't commute, but bring a bit on my rides. Even though I could mount the pump on the frame and the Ulock on the rack, I like the cleaner look of just one "extra."

There are trunk bags with fold out panniers, should you need the additional space. You can fold them back into the side pocket when not needed.

Or, a small saddle bag just for your absolutely vital tools. Everything else in panniers.

Last edited by RECfromPA; 11-28-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-28-16, 10:25 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Change bar tape and bungee to black. And remove the wheel reflectors.
Old 11-28-16, 10:41 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Yeah I tried having a commuter and a go-fast(er) bike. N+1 helps repurpose the fleet toward downright-beast-of-burden bike, utility bike, and then only-fun no-utility bike. (currently I also have a road bike with fenders and handlebar bag but no rack or built in light slotted in between utility and no-utility, while the beast-of-burden has been taken over by my 15 yr old for his commute). So I guess that's my suggestion, buy two more bikes!
Old 11-28-16, 11:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think your bike looks very nice. You appear to be suffering from the "grass is greener" syndrome. However, I agree with others that a trunk bag would look better and be more functional than your large saddle bag. I have about 4-5 trunk bags, and the one that looks and functions best is the Topeak MX. A lot of trunk bags do not have firm sides and tend to flop one way or the other, but the Topeak holds its shape well.

If you ever get tired of the Celeste green bar tape, some tan natural cork would like nice with that frame, particularly if you also used tan or skinwall tires.
Old 11-28-16, 11:41 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
-Change the saddle. Spring for a Brooks Cambium. It doesn't care about rain and needs no maintenance.
-Add fenders. Fenders look classy.
-Keep things like click stand, helmet cover, and rain coat in your pannier. Ditch the giant saddlebag, and put your flat repair stuff in a bento bag. Leave the bead jack at home for mounting new tires.
-Mount the Abus onto your frame.
Old 11-28-16, 12:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I never bothered with stuff like this until recently, so you can take my opinions with a salt lick

I like to try to stick to a single finish for components. Your drivetrain and hubs are polished alloy, so it would be easy to stick with that. The wheels and brifters make some black and silver mix ok, but really the frame is enough black for my taste. So I'd find and swap components that are black, or satin, or black satin, for polished alloy. Obvious examples are headset and spacers, cap and bar plugs, all of which don't go with the stem and bars. The calipers appear to be gray anodized and match nothing else.

I'd get a shiny rack, too. If you don't, at least touch up the dings in the rack.

Jagwire sells celeste cable housings to go with your bar tape. IMO the tape and housings should play nice with the frame decals.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-28-16, 01:20 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - All kinds of great advice. Thanks everyone.

A few responses:
- Lots of folks are suggesting trunk bags. That won't work for me because I put my panniers on and off the bike several times a day. The trunk bag gets in the way of that. I also can't use the kind of trunk bag with built-in panniers because I count on taking my panniers into the office, grocery store, etc. with me.
- @bmthom.gis - I can't leave the bead jack at home. I don't have the grip strength to mount my tires without it, which means a flat would leave me stranded. I love the look of that Brooks Cambium.
- @alan s - The wheel reflectors! Why didn't I think of that? Yes, they do clutter up the look, and I don't need them because my tires have reflective strips.
- @canklecat - That's an interesting bag. Does it have a way to connect to a front rack? I don't want the weight of a bag on my handlebars.
- @tarwheel - my old bar tape was a natural cork color. It did look nice. I'll probably go back when this wears out. For now, though, I'm happy to have a little of this classic Bianchi color on the bike even though it looks a bit busy.
- @Darth Lefty - That's a good thought. I like the idea of swapping out for components and accessories in polished alloy. The new front rack I'm looking at would fit that scheme. I could definitely do something similar with the rear rack, and move this one to a beater bike.

Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
So I guess that's my suggestion, buy two more bikes!
I like the way you think!
Old 11-28-16, 01:55 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Wow - All kinds of great advice. Thanks everyone.

A few responses:
- Lots of folks are suggesting trunk bags. That won't work for me because I put my panniers on and off the bike several times a day. The trunk bag gets in the way of that. I also can't use the kind of trunk bag with built-in panniers because I count on taking my panniers into the office, grocery store, etc. with me.
- @bmthom.gis - I can't leave the bead jack at home. I don't have the grip strength to mount my tires without it, which means a flat would leave me stranded. I love the look of that Brooks Cambium.
- @alan s - The wheel reflectors! Why didn't I think of that? Yes, they do clutter up the look, and I don't need them because my tires have reflective strips.
- @canklecat - That's an interesting bag. Does it have a way to connect to a front rack? I don't want the weight of a bag on my handlebars.
- @tarwheel - my old bar tape was a natural cork color. It did look nice. I'll probably go back when this wears out. For now, though, I'm happy to have a little of this classic Bianchi color on the bike even though it looks a bit busy.
- @Darth Lefty - That's a good thought. I like the idea of swapping out for components and accessories in polished alloy. The new front rack I'm looking at would fit that scheme. I could definitely do something similar with the rear rack, and move this one to a beater bike.

I like the way you think!
RE Bead Jack - gotcha. Thought perhaps your tire bead had stretched enough to just use tire levers. You could do a normal sized under the seat bag and bento box combo and just leave the bead jack there, or maybe it would even fit in a bento.I don't know how big it is.
Agree with changing your rack to chrome, and getting chrome fenders.
Old 11-28-16, 02:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I guess I just don't see that it's ugly...it is what it is...a versatile, smart commuter bike with utility in mind. I rather like it, because it's clearly a well used, well loved, well thought out bike that is good for its purpose.

Looks good to me!
Old 11-28-16, 02:40 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I don't think it's ugly, but here's my suggestions offered with the same caveat as Darth Lefty:
1) get a backpack for the bike stuff in the seatbag
2) ride with someone like me who's got more mismatched "stuff" on his bike. Both bike and rider should come out ahead here in your case.
Old 11-28-16, 02:44 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Lose the saddle bag and power straps. Replace with stainless/chrome clips, and either a trunk bag or handlebar bag. Maybe upgrade saddle to black brooks B17? I dig the bar tape though.
Old 11-28-16, 03:20 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's not ugly. My own preference would be a small saddlebag that fits in that area and strap some other bag on the rack. And the straps would be gathered up on the rack somehow. Probably holding the bag on.
Old 11-28-16, 03:42 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
1) what's the point of the rack if the saddle bag hangs over 3/4 of it? Go one way or the other. Either use a small saddle bag that carries a tube, and a few tools, and then a regular trunk bag or a pannier for your work supplies or extra gear, or no saddle bag and toss everything in either the trunk or pannier. OR keep the large saddle bag, and remove the rack entirely.

2) bungee cords have to go

3) as stated previously, get some metal toe cages and nice straps - get rid of those dirty looking monstrosities.

4) I'm not a fan of the type of bars, but the bar tape color is good.
Old 11-28-16, 04:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just to say What I find useful : Ortlieb Panniers (but other companies make water proof Panniers )

I modified one set my bags to add webbing connecting strips so they come off as a pair rather than 2 separate bags

They come off the bike into the shopping cart, grocery checker fills them and I Put them back on the bike ..

I recently got another Ortlieb bag , their compact https://www.ortlieb.com/de/Ultimate6%20Compact/ for my wallet & eyedrops .

but they also have even more purse like bags too .. https://www.ortlieb.com/de/Velo-Pocket%20Urban%20Line/
https://www.ortlieb.com/de/Barista%20Urban%20Line/

Old 11-28-16, 04:03 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
1) what's the point of the rack if the saddle bag hangs over 3/4 of it? Go one way or the other. Either use a small saddle bag that carries a tube, and a few tools, and then a regular trunk bag or a pannier for your work supplies or extra gear, or no saddle bag and toss everything in either the trunk or pannier. OR keep the large saddle bag, and remove the rack entirely.
Pure function. The reason I have it like that is that it gives me the capacity of a small trunk bag for stuff that is always on the bike, but it doesn't prevent me from using the rails for panniers like a trunk bag does. By lifting the back side of the bag just a bit, I can easily get my Ortliebs on and off the rack rails. Not pretty, but it gets the job done.

The "not pretty" part is what I'm trying to fix. That's why I'm thinking about moving all of that stuff into a smallish bag affixed to a front rack, leaving the rear rack clean except for when it's wearing panniers. Putting all of the stuff that is currently in the saddle bag into the panniers isn't something I want to do because (1) I'm constantly taking the panniers into different places with me (the office, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc.), and I don't see any reason to take all of that bike gear with me. And (2) I often go out for long recreational rides without any panniers, and I need the flat fix kit and maybe the rain gear with me.

Originally Posted by the sci guy
2) bungee cords have to go

3) as stated previously, get some metal toe cages and nice straps - get rid of those dirty looking monstrosities.

4) I'm not a fan of the type of bars, but the bar tape color is good.
You're not the only one who doesn't like the power grips or the bungee cords. Problem is -- like the saddle bag -- I love how they function, just not how they look. Maybe instead of ditching them altogether, I'll just get new (and clean) black ones. Both power grips and bungee cords come in black. Maybe that would be less monstrous?
Old 11-28-16, 04:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"Always on your Bike" , may Not always be there when You Come Back. later ..

You do take it all off when you lock it up, Right?
Old 11-28-16, 04:07 PM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I guess I just don't see that it's ugly...it is what it is...a versatile, smart commuter bike with utility in mind. I rather like it, because it's clearly a well used, well loved, well thought out bike that is good for its purpose.

Looks good to me!
Thanks! I will say this for it: Everything on that bike functions really well. All the stuff that makes it work well for me -- power grips, bungee cords, big old saddle bag -- is also stuff that clutters it up. I don't want to compromise function. It is, after all, my mode of transportation. I just want it to be a little on the prettier side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.