Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Custom Head Badge company? Have you used them?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 09:27 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts

I found this company online and wondered if anyone has used them before to make your own custom head badge for an unknown bike frame?

https://www.montereycompany.com/bicycle-head-badges/
Old 10-28-20, 10:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Just as an alternative, i got mine here- https://www.etsy.com/shop/Mediterrantio
Its the one thing i have purchased on etsy and the process was fantastic. There are tons of options and he does custom too.

The guy who makes the headbadges was prompt in communication, made adjustments quickly, and delivered a really nice product with clear instructions.
It was $63 shipped to me in IA from Spain. I think its nickel.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-28-20, 10:54 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just as an alternative, i got mine here- https://www.etsy.com/shop/Mediterrantio
Its the one thing i have purchased on etsy and the process was fantastic. There are tons of options and he does custom too.

The guy who makes the headbadges was prompt in communication, made adjustments quickly, and delivered a really nice product with clear instructions.
It was $63 shipped to me in IA from Spain. I think its nickel.

Wow that is really nice!!!!! Thanks, I'm going to have to check them out!!!
Old 10-28-20, 11:10 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I second that! Nice work. Is that your artwork?

$63 is not cheap, however, that really completes the frame.
Old 10-28-20, 11:11 AM
bentaxle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
custom head badge for an unknown bike frame
Another option:

https://www.headbadges.com/store/c2/Headbadges.html
Likes For bentaxle:
Old 10-28-20, 11:24 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by bentaxle
Wow those are really cool too! Thanks for the link!
Old 10-28-20, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I second that! Nice work. Is that your artwork?

$63 is not cheap, however, that really completes the frame.
It isnt cheap, I agree. It was for a frame I built in a class though, so I decided to splurge.

I cant take credit for the artwork- that was actually a headbadge option on the etsy site and I asked for the lettering and name to change.
I wish I were that artistically creative! Instead, I have an image of what I want and just have to dive into the internet to find an example close enough to what I envision.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-28-20, 11:43 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It isnt cheap, I agree. It was for a frame I built in a class though, so I decided to splurge.

I cant take credit for the artwork- that was actually a headbadge option on the etsy site and I asked for the lettering and name to change.
I wish I were that artistically creative! Instead, I have an image of what I want and just have to dive into the internet to find an example close enough to what I envision.
How is it not cheap? Seems entirely reasonable to me for an hour or two of work. Hire a plumber lately?
Old 10-28-20, 12:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by iab
How is it not cheap? Seems entirely reasonable to me for an hour or two of work. Hire a plumber lately?
I never complained about the cost. I simply acknowledged it wasn't cheap. I find it to absolutely worth the cost.
Old 10-28-20, 04:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't know if he's still interesting in taking on this kind of commission, but @rhm made a custom head badge for me for my Stella.

Here's a picture of a roughly painted prototype next to the original Stella head badge (on the left), which I acquired later.

Rudi was working from pictures we found online and intended this as an amalgamation of a few possibilities rather than an exact reproduction. I would have been happy with this one, but he didn't like the rough edges that resulted from the material used (stainless steel?), so he made another one in brass, which is still on my bike even though I now have the original in hand.

Old 10-28-20, 04:07 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
If you buy an old frame for $100, then $60 for a head badge is pretty steep. If you spend $600 having the frame painted, $60 for a head badge is a good deal. I think it's all a matter of how much you want the head badge. I agree that for the work involved it's pretty cheap.