Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Praxis M30 BB Creak - Loctite or Grease?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-28-20, 09:58 AM
twowheeldesign

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have put ~3500 miles on my Praxis M30 Threaded Bottom Bracket, and it just recently developed a slight creak. I have done my due diligence and cleaned/checked the cranks, chainring, seatpost, headset, etc, and I am fairly confident it is coming from the BB.

From quick research online, it sounds like some people use Loctite on the threads of the BB into the frame. The Praxis instructions just say "Antiseize or grease" https://praxiscycles.com/wp-content/...0_BSA_REVB.pdf

I lost my anti-seize in a recent move, so I will be buying something to remedy this anyways, so thought I would ask for recommendations.

Does anyone have a favorite anti-seize or grease for threaded BB installation? Or should I be using Loctite 609?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-28-20, 10:09 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Phil Wood recommends blue threadlocker. They even give you a small amount when you buy their threaded BBs.
If you rebuild yearly... like if you are riding a "wet bike" ... maybe just grease.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 10-28-20, 01:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
My preferred antiseize is Tef-Gel. It is specifically designed to minimize electrolytic corrosion on dissimilar metal joints: https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor
Old 10-28-20, 03:18 PM
twowheeldesign

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
My preferred antiseize is Tef-Gel. It is specifically designed to minimize electrolytic corrosion on dissimilar metal joints: https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor
Interesting, that looks like it would work well - just curious, have you noticed that the Tef-Gel lasts any longer or shorter than standard grease or antiseize?
Old 10-28-20, 03:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
When I replaced my Praxis bearings M30 threaded, they were creaking as well. I talked to Praxis and they were very much NOT on board with thread locker or such. They "highly" recommended anti-seize compound. I went to a copper paste version and it was much better.

I am sure thread lock will work fine though, lots of people do it. Each has its benifits but a good anti-seize should sold your problem...make sure its also torqued properly.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-20, 03:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by twowheeldesign
Interesting, that looks like it would work well - just curious, have you noticed that the Tef-Gel lasts any longer or shorter than standard grease or antiseize?
It typically lasts until I take the joint apart again.
Old 10-28-20, 04:08 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by sdmc530
I went to a copper paste version and it was much better.
The issue with metal-based antiseizes, formulated for high-temperature service like auto exhaust systems, , is that in an electrolytic corrosion environment it introduces an additional metal into the mix.
Old 10-28-20, 04:09 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I have put ~3500 miles on my Praxis M30 Threaded Bottom Bracket, and it just recently developed a slight creak. I have done my due diligence and cleaned/checked the cranks, chainring, seatpost, headset, etc, and I am fairly confident it is coming from the BB.

From quick research online, it sounds like some people use Loctite on the threads of the BB into the frame. The Praxis instructions just say "Antiseize or grease" https://praxiscycles.com/wp-content/...0_BSA_REVB.pdf

I lost my anti-seize in a recent move, so I will be buying something to remedy this anyways, so thought I would ask for recommendations.

Does anyone have a favorite anti-seize or grease for threaded BB installation? Or should I be using Loctite 609?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I don't feel like different thread prep is likely to help. Probably the best thing to do is get the bb shell faced and chased to improve the alignment of the bearings. A new BB is also not a bad idea.
Old 10-29-20, 07:35 AM
twowheeldesign

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input and help, I am going to try antiseize first, and if that doesn't last long, I'll try the loctite and then replace the BB if needed!
Old 10-29-20, 11:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9530 Post(s)
Liked 6,272 Times in 3,459 Posts
Tef-Gel is good stuff. It is a PTFE based paste primarily used to prevent corrosion, galling, and seizing of hardware in corrosive environments and between dissimilar metals I use it on my sailboat anywhere that stainless comes into contact with aluminum as it prevents the galvanic corrosion that often occurs at those joints. I think it is better than grease on threaded joints. It is not a thread locker though so don't confuse it with Loctite blue or red. It is also not a grease for bearings.

On sailboats, there are a lot of places where stainless threaded fasteners are screwed into aluminum. I've removed fasteners that have been in place for 5 years or more, and find the Tef-Gel is still there and still in paste form even though you only use a very thin film on the threads.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-29-20, 01:47 PM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
I don't like using antiseize on bikes as the stuff get's too messy if not careful with the application. I have to look into Tef-Gel if it's a cleaner solution.