Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First ride on Direto and Zwift

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 07:20 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks to several here who responded to my earlier post about what to do to get started with Zwift, I was able to pair the Direto up through Apple TV and iPhone as head unit no problem. Getting the Dirteto calibrated was another story as Elite gives very few directions which is very frustrating. Anyway, I think I got that done. Says you only need to do it every 3-4 weeks. Question there is, how would I know a recalibration needs to be done? I can't tell any difference pre calibration versus post calibration. Another detail missing.

I am able to ride particular route in Zwift but have not been able to change it no matter what I do and I have done everything that can be done. There is a workout button that will lead to things like FTP workouts and the like and then one for rides for ex. Pretzel Ride or Volcano Ride which is what I am looking to change to (something on that menu). It will let me select another ride, but once the ride button is selected, it goes right back to same old one (which is "Hilly Route). Ugg, I am so frustrated with it. Also, the iPhone as a head unit will let me do some things but not others. I can use the "hammer time" or "thumbs up" icon but not the turn around icon. I am able to go to Events and have been able to join scheduled rides which is nice.

Do I need to perhaps do a FTP test before it will let me change rides? If so, it would have been real nice for Zwift to say so as I am about to pull my hair out over this. Any suggestions or info will be most appreciated.
Old 02-24-18, 09:26 PM
jmp998

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same setup-AppleTV Direto.

You don't need to do an FTP test. Are you sure you are clicking on you selection? Don't just scroll to your selection, you have to actually click on it (if using the remote that came with the Apple TV, click until you feel the scroll pad actually depress not just tap like you would on a touchscreen phone etc).
Old 02-25-18, 07:21 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
There's a fairly active Direto page on Facebook. Might want to check it out.
Old 02-25-18, 08:18 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I have no idea how the Apple TV integration works, but I use my iphone as a BT bridge with my laptop when Zwifting and the phone allows you to either turn around or pick your route during the ride. As you approach each turn (splitting off from the underwater tunnel to head towards the mountains, for instance) a flashing thing should pop up on the screen telling you you have a choice of directions. Your phone should show either straight ahead or a turn option.

Even if you are stuck on "hilly route" when starting for whatever reason, you can just turn off that route and explore other parts of Watopia.

https://kb.zwiftriders.com/turning-on-zwift#fromzml

Last edited by Dan333SP; 02-25-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 09:11 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmp998

You don't need to do an FTP test. Are you sure you are clicking on you selection? Don't just scroll to your selection, you have to actually click on it (if using the remote that came with the Apple TV, click until you feel the scroll pad actually depress not just tap like you would on a touchscreen phone etc).
Yep, I am selecting, not just scrolling and tapping so that isn't it. Thanks though!
Old 02-25-18, 09:12 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
There's a fairly active Direto page on Facebook. Might want to check it out.
I don't do Facebook so can't do that.
Old 02-25-18, 09:15 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I have no idea how the Apple TV integration works, but I use my iphone as a BT bridge with my laptop when Zwifting and the phone allows you to either turn around or pick your route during the ride. As you approach each turn (splitting off from the underwater tunnel to head towards the mountains, for instance) a flashing thing should pop up on the screen telling you you have a choice of directions. Your phone should show either straight ahead or a turn option.

Even if you are stuck on "hilly route" when starting for whatever reason, you can just turn off that route and explore other parts of Watopia.

https://kb.zwiftriders.com/turning-on-zwift#fromzml
Probably very similar to the way you use your phone. What I am saying is that I am unable to go to the menu and select a different ride. Well, I am able to select it but when clicking "Ride" to start, it always takes me back to the same "Hilly Route" And....I have yet to see a menu of the rides that can be done to include the Richmond road race. Trust me, this is beyond frustrating.
Old 02-25-18, 09:17 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was able to sign up and ride a scheduled "event" this morning by using the mobile link. Once started the mobile would do nothing so had to use the Apple TV remote. Once done with that...same old thing...only able to do "Hilly Route".
Old 02-25-18, 09:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I don't do Facebook so can't do that.
It's just a website, I don't think much to do. eg. https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...stories-public

That said, your question is more Zwift related, not Direto-related.. Have you been to Zwift support forums?
ie. try posting or searching thru here:
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/c...roubleshooting
Old 02-25-18, 10:41 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's just a website, I don't think much to do. eg. https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...stories-public

That said, your question is more Zwift related, not Direto-related.. Have you been to Zwift support forums?
ie. try posting or searching thru here:
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/c...roubleshooting
Yes, definitely not Direto related. I have submitted a support ticket question but I imagine I'll get some kind of answer that will invite more from me and it'll just go on adnauseum adding to my frustration. Im not very tech savvy so if they say to go changing files or something of the like I'll just be screwed and have to cancel the subscription.

I've done a search through the Zwift support site and didn't see where anyone has posed my type of question. I'm hoping someone here has though and will be able to offer some advice.

I wonder if deleting the app and reloading it might do any good.

As far as the Direto trainer goes, I'm not having any issues with it, I like it so far but again, the manual could be a little more complete and offer some troubleshooting advice.
Old 02-25-18, 11:51 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Probably very similar to the way you use your phone. What I am saying is that I am unable to go to the menu and select a different ride. Well, I am able to select it but when clicking "Ride" to start, it always takes me back to the same "Hilly Route" And....I have yet to see a menu of the rides that can be done to include the Richmond road race. Trust me, this is beyond frustrating.
You can't choose a different course, they just run some courses on some days and all riders are limited to that course. At the moment, it's Watopia, London, and Richmond. I think they do Richmond once a week, and London twice? Once you're actually in a given course, you should still be able to make turns to alter your route. Can you not turn off the "hilly route" path? When you start riding on Watopia, you're in a seaside town. Within a half mile you should have the option of turning left into a tunnel that takes you off the hilly route where you'd normally go straight and do that short climb. If you go left into the tunnel, you can branch off to the alpine routes or stay straight and eventually get to the volcano or mayan temple routes.
Old 02-25-18, 01:13 PM
prophet99

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also it basically starts you in the same spot for most routes, which is the beginning of the hilly course. So every time I start on say the flat route the hilly timer will pop up until I get to the first turn. Then it will disappear after you are off that route, and the volcano timer will appear as you approach the volcano even if your chosen route does not climb it.
Old 02-25-18, 07:08 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can't choose a different course, they just run some courses on some days and all riders are limited to that course. At the moment, it's Watopia, London, and Richmond. I think they do Richmond once a week, and London twice? Once you're actually in a given course, you should still be able to make turns to alter your route. Can you not turn off the "hilly route" path? When you start riding on Watopia, you're in a seaside town. Within a half mile you should have the option of turning left into a tunnel that takes you off the hilly route where you'd normally go straight and do that short climb. If you go left into the tunnel, you can branch off to the alpine routes or stay straight and eventually get to the volcano or mayan temple routes.
I was wondering about the rides between Watopia, London, and Richmond....I wasn't able to put my cursor over there at all so it looks like for today it is Watopia...no other choice.

On the start menu at the top, there is "Workouts" which is more of the FTP training rides. Below is "Routes" and my box is populated "change". I have been clicking that and getting a menu on the left of about 10 routes. I click perhaps Volcano or Flat Route but when clicking ride after that, it goes to Hilly Route. Are you saying that all of these 10 routes are part of Watopia and that they all branch off of Hilly Routes (or feed back into it?)? If so, I reckon everything is working properly on my end but it does look as if Zwift would make that clear or let us simply select another branch to change quickly without having to ride to the turn off? Seems simple enough to label each turn as to where it goes rather than just putting the arrows there.

I think you and I are on the same page; hope I have been clear enough so you know what I'm talking about. Let me know and thanks again!
Old 02-25-18, 07:11 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I was wondering about the rides between Watopia, London, and Richmond....I wasn't able to put my cursor over there at all so it looks like for today it is Watopia...no other choice.

On the start menu at the top, there is "Workouts" which is more of the FTP training rides. Below is "Routes" and my box is populated "change". I have been clicking that and getting a menu on the left of about 10 routes. I click perhaps Volcano or Flat Route but when clicking ride after that, it goes to Hilly Route. Are you saying that all of these 10 routes are part of Watopia and that they all branch off of Hilly Routes (or feed back into it?)? If so, I reckon everything is working properly on my end but it does look as if Zwift would make that clear or let us simply select another branch to change quickly without having to ride to the turn off? Seems simple enough to label each turn as to where it goes rather than just putting the arrows there.

I think you and I are on the same page; hope I have been clear enough so you know what I'm talking about. Let me know and thanks again!
All of those routes you mentioned are connected via the same roads, so yes, they all feed into each other.

https://zwiftinsider.com/map/

Check out the map to see which way and where you need to turn to hit certain routes. I was under the impression that if you pick Volcano Route, for instance, the game starts you on that part of the course, but maybe not? In any case, it's no more than a couple miles to reach any of those options from the main area.
Old 02-25-18, 11:39 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
On Watopia all rides spawn at the same point (when you get to level 10 you can spawn at a different place for the jungle loop). Try Volcano route and the game will make a U turn right away, and you can also U turn anytime. When you start riding through the Start Banner, do you always go straight at the first intersection and up the hill? The other routes go left at the first intersection after about 1 km and into the tunnel. So maybe you are choosing the route properly but need to ride for a few miles to see if you are going on the right route. Also there is no menu option to ride on London, Richmond, or Watopia. You ride where the schedule says to ride.
Old 02-26-18, 08:39 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All of those routes you mentioned are connected via the same roads, so yes, they all feed into each other.

https://zwiftinsider.com/map/

Check out the map to see which way and where you need to turn to hit certain routes. I was under the impression that if you pick Volcano Route, for instance, the game starts you on that part of the course, but maybe not? In any case, it's no more than a couple miles to reach any of those options from the main area.

OK, thanks, I have a better understanding now. It was driving me crazy thinking the program was not working as it should but apparently it is. It just seems that Zwift would allow one to select a route and then start from it as it looks to anyone that it would i.e. the "route" box leads to a menu of routes when it is clicked. So to get where one wants to go, you have to get to the arrows on the course and know which way to go. Seems it could be much more intuitive than the way they have it set up but that is just the way my little brain sees it. Thanks again for the clarification.
Old 02-26-18, 08:43 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
On Watopia all rides spawn at the same point (when you get to level 10 you can spawn at a different place for the jungle loop). Try Volcano route and the game will make a U turn right away, and you can also U turn anytime. When you start riding through the Start Banner, do you always go straight at the first intersection and up the hill? The other routes go left at the first intersection after about 1 km and into the tunnel. So maybe you are choosing the route properly but need to ride for a few miles to see if you are going on the right route. Also there is no menu option to ride on London, Richmond, or Watopia. You ride where the schedule says to ride.

I can't remember and I don't recall ever seeing the Start Banner. I have been back and forth from a given route only to wind back up at Hilly Route numerous times somewhere in the middle of the course. Apparently that is the way they have it set up. Silly me for thinking that I could select between Watopia, London, or Richmond. I now know that you have to ride whatever the "flavor of the day" is. Seems simple enough for them to make this a lot clearer to newbies. Would save them a lot of time answering questions Thanks for your input!
Old 02-26-18, 10:13 AM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Whitemax another tip is to use your apple device (not atv) and download the free Zwift mobile link ZML and use it as the controller. It works much, much better and easier than the ATV controller.
Old 02-26-18, 12:21 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by La Tortue
Whitemax another tip is to use your apple device (not atv) and download the free Zwift mobile link ZML and use it as the controller. It works much, much better and easier than the ATV controller.
I'm pretty sure he has said he's done that....but just to be sure. That's correct Whitemax? You're running ZML on your phone and the Zwift app on the Apple TV? And NOT simply using the AppleTV to Screen Mirror the phone?

While I have an AppleTV 4K I have not yet actually used it for Zwift but I'll fire it up tonight to see if I have the same issue.

With regards to the Direto question and calibration. You want to do a calibration any time you move the unit or simply do it monthly. Really you're not going to hurt anything if you don't do the calibration but it may drift off. If you didn't calibrate for a long time your power output would show a difference from another power meter used simultaneously.
Old 02-27-18, 06:32 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmp998

Hey, my Apple TV cuts off by itself after a few hours. I have to pull the plug and replug it each time I want to use it. Does yours do that? Seems there would simply be a power button on the darned thing.
Old 02-27-18, 06:41 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I'm pretty sure he has said he's done that....but just to be sure. That's correct Whitemax? You're running ZML on your phone and the Zwift app on the Apple TV? And NOT simply using the AppleTV to Screen Mirror the phone?

While I have an AppleTV 4K I have not yet actually used it for Zwift but I'll fire it up tonight to see if I have the same issue.

With regards to the Direto question and calibration. You want to do a calibration any time you move the unit or simply do it monthly. Really you're not going to hurt anything if you don't do the calibration but it may drift off. If you didn't calibrate for a long time your power output would show a difference from another power meter used simultaneously.
Correct. Today London was the flavor or the day. I now see that once you select a ride, the drop down menu on the left populates with sections of that ride. I think in Watopia, once I selected a ride, it kept taking me back to "Hilly Route" which is also a section. Still don't understand why you can't select a route and simply be taken there versus having to ride up the road to take a turn to get there.

This evening, everything seemed to work fine with a few exceptions. I had to disconnect the Dirteto twice before it would pair. I guess that is probably typical and will happen from time to time. The other thing is, when a turn was coming up the road, the ZML on my phone would allow me to select which way I wanted to go...great. But as I was riding the London route, I noticed that there were not many going in my direction and that lots were going the other way. I hit the U turn button and nothing happed... I could not turn around no matter what I did. Is that a privilege you earn after riding for x amount of miles or what could be the problem?
Old 02-27-18, 06:43 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by La Tortue
Yes, without the ZML, I don't believe you could control direction with the Apple TV remote.
Old 02-27-18, 07:33 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Correct. Today London was the flavor or the day. I now see that once you select a ride, the drop down menu on the left populates with sections of that ride. I think in Watopia, once I selected a ride, it kept taking me back to "Hilly Route" which is also a section. Still don't understand why you can't select a route and simply be taken there versus having to ride up the road to take a turn to get there.

This evening, everything seemed to work fine with a few exceptions. I had to disconnect the Dirteto twice before it would pair. I guess that is probably typical and will happen from time to time. The other thing is, when a turn was coming up the road, the ZML on my phone would allow me to select which way I wanted to go...great. But as I was riding the London route, I noticed that there were not many going in my direction and that lots were going the other way. I hit the U turn button and nothing happed... I could not turn around no matter what I did. Is that a privilege you earn after riding for x amount of miles or what could be the problem?
Ok so it sounds like you got the route thing figured. Mainly on Watopia all routes go through the pier area...and as you approach the roads that are near that area it comes up and says hilly route. Just ignore that.

For the U turn question...you have to hold the button until you turn...just tapping it doesn’t work. Same deal if you’re quitting a workout in the middle...you have to press the stop button and hold it.
Old 02-28-18, 07:08 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Ok so it sounds like you got the route thing figured. Mainly on Watopia all routes go through the pier area...and as you approach the roads that are near that area it comes up and says hilly route. Just ignore that.

For the U turn question...you have to hold the button until you turn...just tapping it doesn’t work. Same deal if you’re quitting a workout in the middle...you have to press the stop button and hold it.

I hit it multiple times and thought I even held it down but I'll try that again tonight. Thanks for the tip on that. Given you have the Apple TV...mine shuts off after a few hours of non use. I have to pull the plug and replug to get it to come back on. Does yours do that? That doesn't seem like it would be normal. Seems they would have just put a power button on it.
Old 02-28-18, 08:08 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

I hit it multiple times and thought I even held it down but I'll try that again tonight. Thanks for the tip on that. Given you have the Apple TV...mine shuts off after a few hours of non use. I have to pull the plug and replug to get it to come back on. Does yours do that? That doesn't seem like it would be normal. Seems they would have just put a power button on it.
Yeah it takes a while...just hold it. For the AppleTV: yeah it goes into power saving mode or powers down or something. Your remote should bring it back up...but it too takes a couple of seconds. I've never had to unplug mine to get it to come back up...and that includes 2 Generation 3 units that I've also owned over the years. Of note though, I have seen people talk about a full reboot if they are having Zwift issues on the AppleTV. I guess because, once you start the software, it never really shuts down it can cause connection issues. If this happens reboot the AppleTV which you can do through the settings...or unplugging if that's easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.