Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Case Against Buying from Craigslist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Case Against Buying from Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 06:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
[QUOTE=toast3d;20473130
If you do use the site, then I hope you at least take the time to be cautious about it. Checking serial numbers on bike frames is probably the least amount of effort you could put forward. There are posters in this topic who seem to fancy their selves to be amateur detectives, able to spot a suspicious seller. I don't know how much stock I'd put in that. But being more wary of the people selling stuff on there is not something I'd object to.

Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]
I have bought 2 bikes on Craigslist, a cheap 10 speed Peugeot that was 34 years old, and I paid $25 for it, and a 25 year old Specialized hybrid I paid $120 for. Excuse me if I don't bother to check serial numbers on such things, even thieves wouldn't take such risks for such low margins.
If you'd actually wanted to post something useful instead of half baked nonsense, you could maybe post something about how to look up serial numbers.
Old 07-27-18, 06:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I bought my Burley Tandem off Craigslist. $2000 bike with the rubber nubs and center rubber ridge still on the tires. I paid $500 for it. I doubt it was hot.
Old 07-27-18, 06:54 PM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you'd actually wanted to post something useful instead of half baked nonsense, you could maybe post something about how to look up serial numbers.
No problem.

https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=stolen%20bike%20database

You could probably use a smartphone to access this information in the event that you forgot to ask the seller before meeting.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I bought my Burley Tandem off Craigslist. $2000 bike with the rubber nubs and center rubber ridge still on the tires. I paid $500 for it. I doubt it was hot.
A 2k bike for 0.5k? In new condition? I would certainly suspect that it was stolen.
Old 07-27-18, 08:21 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
What a stupid thread.

Seriously, stolen goods are a fact of life in the second hand market.

Singling out craigslist as the "only" method of fencing stolen goods is sheer lunacy.

I've had experience with thieves and honest sellers, thieves are usually easy to spot, or they are so slick you'd never know that what you are purchasing is in fact stolen property.
Old 07-27-18, 08:27 PM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Singling out craigslist as the "only" method of fencing stolen goods is sheer lunacy.
I think that you probably are capable of understanding that I never did that. Please check your baggage at the door.
Old 07-27-18, 08:54 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by toast3d
Craigslist doesn't exactly have a good reputation for a large number of reasons, many of which have nothing at all to do with the bicycle listings specifically. Feel free to correct me on that, but I don't think it's controversial. I realize this might be a bit of a sore spot for some of you, because you've bought used bikes and parts from craigslist in the past, and will probably continue to do so in the future. I'm posting this topic to plead with you to stop doing that.

The reason for this is simple: you're much more likely to end up with something that's been stolen. Bike theft is a huge problem, especially in areas with a high population and a high percentage of cyclists. A lot of people quit riding bikes altogether because of theft. It's a major factor in slowing the long term growth of cycling.

By purchasing used bikes and parts from cragslist, you run the risk of supporting bicycle theft.

Please, if you do want to keep using craigslist, don't buy anything unless the seller has the original receipt. I know some of you love getting vintage bikes from CL, but please stop. You could be supporting thieves and fencers. The next time you're tempted to go digging on CL for a great deal, try to think about how it feels to have your bike stolen.
Talk about being totally off base. The assumptions made by the OP assume thief is trying to get caught. Consider that when buying off of CL, in over 90% of the transactions, the buyer meets the seller. Do you really think a thief wants to risk meeting the original owner? Pics of the part or bike are posted over 80% of the time. A stolen bike listed on CL is an advertisement to catch the thief. Now, some thieves are idiots and might be dumb enough to do this, but it's rare. Especially when you consider that the same thief can easily list the part/bike on ebay and never meet the buyer.
Think about it. If you buy a bike on CL, you meet the seller, have their traceable phone number, sometimes meet them at their house, if not, you at least see their vehicle with a traceable license plate. A thief selling on CL would have to be a moron. A much better alternative is ebay where information can be limited and tracing a stolen item is almost impossible. Actually, the better way to unload a stolen bike is a pawn shop. But list on Craigslist? The theif must be desperate.
Old 07-27-18, 08:56 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I think that you probably are capable of understanding that I never did that. Please check your baggage at the door.
That confirms it.

Troll thread.

Thanks for playing.
Old 07-27-18, 09:06 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Maybe you should post a topic about that. I'm serious. Or maybe there should just be a general bike theft topic and people can discuss how they can try to avoid buying stolen stuff.
Never buy a bike from a guy wearing asbestos gloves.
Never buy a bike from a guy who sweats in the winter.
Never buy a bike from a guy who begins the transaction with, "Are you a cop?"
Never buy a bike if, when you ask the history of the bike, the guy says, "It fell off the back of a truck."
Old 07-28-18, 02:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Maybe there could be a weekly TV show, modeled after "To Catch A Predator", where someone poses as a CL bike seller, with hidden cameras in place, and once the transaction is made, cops rush in, handcuff and arrest the buyer.

Then Chris Hanson casually strolls in:

Chris Hanson: "So you really like bikes a lot? Especially STOLEN BIKES. Aren't bikes essentially kid's toys? What about kids? I bet you like kids too?"

I would probably watch it once or twice.
Funny stuff!
Old 07-28-18, 03:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Craigslist is the best way to purchase used bicycles at unbelievably low prices.
Your loss is my gain bro.
Miles of smiles
Old 07-28-18, 05:17 AM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you work in law enforcement, I hope you are learning from this.
Old 07-28-18, 09:24 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
And that 99 cent burger you're eating ? The cow was stolen by rustlers in Venezuela 3 months ago, then sold to the fast food restaurant where you ate it. You could be charged with Eating Stolen Property!

You should have known that burger was hot.
Old 07-28-18, 12:41 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Actually, the better way to unload a stolen bike is a pawn shop.
That's actually about the worst way to do it (for a thief trying to avoid getting caught). You have to provide valid ID to sell that bike, and bikes have serial numbers, and pawn shops are required to run all their new inventory by the local cops (daily,IIRC).
So if the owner reported the bike stolen, and included the serial number in the police report, then the thief is practically busted the minute the pawn shop took possession. Now, selling in another state would probably work, but if selling locally, this is worse than taking your chances on CL.
Old 07-28-18, 02:25 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
If no one buys bikes on craigslist, where would a person go to sell one and how would you prevent someone from selling stolen bikes via that channel?

There are lots of bikes on craigslist because it's a convenient and free way to sell and that applies to both honest and dishonest sellers. If not craigslist, it would be something else. There was plenty of bike theft before craigslist and there would be plenty if they didn't exist.
Old 07-28-18, 07:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Please, if you do want to keep using craigslist, don't buy anything unless the seller has the original receipt. I know some of you love getting vintage bikes from CL, but please stop.
absolutely absurd. Ridiculous.
demanding an original sales rcpt is completely unreasonable- especially for vintage bikes. Many have been sold multiple times thru the decades.

such a suggestion is full of dumb. Besides a house and a motorized vehicle of some sort, there is no expectation of having a sales rcpt.

and im not even getting into the point made a few times now that there are all sorts of alternative sales sites.
Old 07-28-18, 07:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts

A 2k bike for 0.5k? In new condition? I would certainly suspect that it was stolen.
I am not the suspicious type, so the deal worked out great for me!
Old 07-28-18, 08:33 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have bought 2 bikes on Craigslist, a cheap 10 speed Peugeot that was 34 years old, and I paid $25 for it, and a 25 year old Specialized hybrid I paid $120 for. Excuse me if I don't bother to check serial numbers on such things, even thieves wouldn't take such risks for such low margins.
Rubbish! to the thief/seller that $5 or $25 or $120 is 100% PURE PROFIT!!!

But you're right, I'd rather pay $25 than to wander around the streets with boltcutters

The real risk is when you're riding around the same neighbourhood & somebody yells out "hey that's my bike!"

gee, it's good that the pushbike world is still "innocent" ... is Fencing hot items on CL is the worst crime you come across.

In other hobbies where items are much higher value & even more portable... there's been spate of other more-violent crimes committed by buyers off CL. Sellers need to become wary of who you are inviting to your place. Burglars don't need to peek into windows anymore when your valuables are openly advertised on da web.
Old 07-29-18, 05:38 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I buy bikes from C-list all the time (well, maybe not ALL the time), and never give it a thought.
Then again, the bikes I buy are mostly pretty old, and often not even fully functional - Hardly prime theft appeal.
Old 07-29-18, 08:29 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I guess you could live by and assume that C/L is the dark web of stolen property. I think otherwise.
Old 07-29-18, 11:42 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
By purchasing used bikes and parts from cragslist, you run the risk of supporting bicycle theft.

Please, if you do want to keep using craigslist, don't buy anything unless the seller has the original receipt. I know some of you love getting vintage bikes from CL, but please stop. You could be supporting thieves and fencers. The next time you're tempted to go digging on CL for a great deal, try to think about how it feels to have your bike stolen.

If people stop buying used bikes on CL, theft should in theory go down because it won't be worth the thief's time to steal a bike in a lot of cases. High end bikes will probably still get stolen, but it may significantly reduce mid-to low end thefts if less people are willing to use CL. I believe CL is probably one of the largest places where stolen bikes end up.

Just consider it, please.
It'd take all of about 3 questions to figure out if it's their bike or not. Zero reason to not buy from the site.
Old 07-31-18, 11:56 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I have bought a lot of stuff off of Craiglist. Met a lot of nice folks, some of whom became riding buddies.

To avoid the risk of buying a stolen bike off of CL, you pick your sellers. When it comes to buying a mid to high-end bike, you just know who are the authentic sellers. It is easy to screen out the flippers and low-lifes - where the risk lies.

90% of the screening comes with the neighborhood where the seller lives. It is a pretty reliable law of the universe that the folks that own crap, is that everything they own is crap. So if you are rolling by a yard sale, and you see a Huffy on the front lawn, there is a 90% chance that everything they own is manufactured and maintained to the same dismal standard. This law applies to their house, car, tools, electronics, furniture etc. etc. Everything is crap. Don’t bother to slow down; just keep rolling.

However, in the one in 1,000 chance you spot a Pinarello (and I have), you’ve hit the jackpot, and be prepared to race to your closest ATM to take out a wad of cash.

Same applies to CL postings. If the seller is illiterate (uses words like breaks, peddles, helmut), or lives in an apartment in a run-down part of town: then skip.

Avoid: bike flippers and handymen. A weird paradox is that often the folks (invariably older men) who spend the most time tinkering on bikes, are the ones who are selling the most dysfunctional, dangerous and overpriced crap. And they post these Franken-contraptions on CL daily - for months.

Your ideal sellers:

· Elite-level racers who have changed teams and have to shed their one-year old race bikes due to sponsorship commitments

· Dual-income No kids professionals whose response to every purchasing and maintenance situation is to pull out a platinum Master Card. These folks shed $5,000 bikes (and other toys) annually for upgrades

· Profiling: Folks who live in large single-family homes in upper-class neighborhoods, usually in the ‘burbs. Don’t waste your time dealing with apartment dwellers, or back-woods hillbillies who have a horde of ancient Huffy’s Murrays, Schwinn’s, etc.
Old 07-31-18, 12:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
My biggest complaint is dealers/guys hith a huge garage full of parts, posting the same parts every day and drowning out the other stuff I wanted to see.
Amen to this! So tired of the listing littered with $100 crap bikes from the same junk peddler. Probably goes around town picking up throw aways from CL "free curb alerts" and resells them. Fine, but make a single add with all bikes in it.

CL could stop the multi listing by just moving to a single $1 posting fee for bikes and cars.

IMHO, the argument doesn't fly because you always have the risk of stolen goods with used items. Cars, bikes, TV's, jewelry, anything......
Old 07-31-18, 03:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
That's actually about the worst way to do it (for a thief trying to avoid getting caught). You have to provide valid ID to sell that bike, and bikes have serial numbers, and pawn shops are required to run all their new inventory by the local cops (daily,IIRC).
So if the owner reported the bike stolen, and included the serial number in the police report, then the thief is practically busted the minute the pawn shop took possession. Now, selling in another state would probably work, but if selling locally, this is worse than taking your chances on CL.
If the bike's serial number was entered into NCIC, it doesn't matter what state you try to pawn it in. It's a nationwide database.
Old 07-31-18, 03:32 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure all the stolen bikes in my area end up in homeless camps. I see an awful lot of those guys riding nice bikes that have just been spraypainted and stickerbombed.
Old 07-31-18, 04:11 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If the bike's serial number was entered into NCIC, it doesn't matter what state you try to pawn it in. It's a nationwide database.
Yep, good point. Not sure what i was thinking there, LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.