Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

After summer/fall riding..

Old 06-18-20, 08:46 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
After summer/fall riding..

How many of you continue to ride as often (or almost as often) in the winter months as you do in the other months? To people out there who live in climates with actual winter Say like lows in the teens (F) and highs in the 20s/30s.. And no snow or ice on the ground..
Old 06-18-20, 08:51 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Winters aren't too bad in SC, so I ride year round, just bundle up. I've ridden down into the 20s without issues. If it's raining or icy, I'll stay inside.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 06-18-20, 09:45 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
*Laughs in San Diego*
Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 06-18-20, 10:17 AM
Boatdriver

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3, Trek Domane SL 5 Gravel, Salsa Cutthroat 2020

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I used to run in the winter instead, but knee doc told me to stop. This coming year will be a test to see how riding works. I worry about the unseen slippery spots. Temperature isn't really a worry, just put on warmer gloves and a face mask. Since I ride/run before work the other issue with winter is making sure I have charged up a couple of lights to see in the dark.
Old 06-18-20, 11:05 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Nordic ski in the winter. Or roller ski due due to lack of snow.
Old 06-18-20, 01:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Between mid-December and mid-March, 90% of my time on a saddle is in front of a tv on Zwift.
Old 06-18-20, 02:53 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I do as much as I can.
I've learned to be careful and not go at a race pace or I might freeze my throat (inside, not outside).
Too often I seem to catch some black ice and sprain something, even though I have lots of experience. Last time I checked weather & radar, all looked good, but then it started a misty rain on the 2nd 1/2 of my ride, and I learned that black ice and wet streets basically look like the same thing (especially on gravel). ugh.

I have studded tires, and really should use those.

Its the freeze/thaw cycles that cause the worst ice. if it stays solid cold, the snow doesn't turn into ice. Biking in a snow storm is a blast, a totally different immersive experience than any other bike ride - even if I stay within a mile or two of my home.

The other nice thing is I can bike places in the winter that are too wet/muddy to bike any other time of the year. Sometimes I even bike on lakes (definitely with studded tires in that case). It kinda surprised me that with high torque acceleration on ice with good studded tires, I was pullin a wheelie instead of spinning my wheels.

But, if I don't like the weather, I'm blessed with an indoor velodrome that lets me do 20-40mph any time I want to get my heart rate up. I don't know what it is about that thing, but I can get a better workout on the velodrome in 30 minutes than I can get outside in an hour. (well, having someone to chase helps too).
Likes For chas58:
Old 06-18-20, 03:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I transition to mt. biking and more dirt road/gravel bike riding in later October usually, once the ticks have gone more dormant. We have bad ticks here on Long Island (as well as poison ivy). If we don’t get much snow, I ride thru to March. Low temps don’t bother me, when I’m only doing 10 mph in the woods.
Old 06-19-20, 07:39 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
How many of you continue to ride as often (or almost as often) in the winter months as you do in the other months? To people out there who live in climates with actual winter Say like lows in the teens (F) and highs in the 20s/30s.. And no snow or ice on the ground..
Not as much in Dec and Jan, but by Feb I start up again unless it is about 25 or less (depending on other factors like wind). I also avoid riding when there is snow or salt on the roads. NYC is not too cold and lately it hasn't snowed much, but the city sure loves to spread the salt.
Old 06-21-20, 01:46 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
*Laughs in San Diego*
And you are paying for it $$$$$$.........
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 06-21-20, 01:48 PM
StarBiker

I ride all year. Snow it what stops me because of day melt, and nighttime refreezing. But I am out all year.

Summer is rougher to me......It was brutal today, and will be much worse by late week.
Old 06-21-20, 02:08 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
And you are paying for it $$$$$$.........
I’m stationed here
Old 06-21-20, 02:22 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I love the cold and am an avid skier but winter cycling is bull****, if it’s below 55 I’m not going and NO I’m not “bundling up”.

zwift solves all problems in this regard. Can’t recommend it highly enough for poor weather or getting a quick ride in between other responsibilities.
Old 06-21-20, 02:25 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
I’m stationed here
I'am telling Trump on you..........
Old 06-21-20, 02:26 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by StarBiker
I ride all year. Snow it what stops me because of day melt, and nighttime refreezing. But I am out all year.

Summer is rougher to me......It was brutal today, and will be much worse by late week.
And now it's raining. I despise Summer....
Old 06-21-20, 02:28 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Where I live the weather is somewhat erratic. We can get nice days even in January/February, so I never really stop riding completely...I just don’t ride as much due to days where it isn’t so nice. Since I run too, I tend to run more in the winter, which I am comfortable doing well below freezing, and ride more in the summer when the humidity makes running nearly intolerable no matter what time of day.

One challenge I seem have with riding in the winter is that the gravel roads don’t dry out as quickly, so if it’s been rainy you really have to commit to doing some cleanup after. Not a big fan of being caked in mud, especially if it’s cold. At least with running, I seem to have better paved options when it’s wet.
Old 06-21-20, 05:52 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
In Michigan: I never did until just this last winter. Typically I hang the bike up late October when it starts getting rainy and cold and don't get it back out until April (often rainy and cold too heh). I decided to try some winter riding this last season and it was okay but not very enjoyable. I really only averaged 1-2 rides per week for a maximum of an hour/15 miles or so, but it's better than nothing I suppose. I only went when it was dry, the temp was 30F or more, and the wind was 10kt or less.
Old 06-24-20, 04:04 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'm in Chicago. I typically bike commute all winter, but skip the snow days until roads have been plowed. I'd say my temp cutoff for winter commuting is 15-20 degrees. I don't ride as many recreational miles outside in winter and spend a lot more time on the trainer in front of Netflix or Zwift, but I do try to get out for rides whenever the roads are dry.

Our CX season runs early September - mid December. We race in all weather and I'm usually ready to hang up the CX bike after that for a few months.

I've been thinking of picking up a fat bike to do some winter MTB rides, but there seems to be a lot of in-between weather here where it's too sloppy for MTB trails, and not yet frozen up.
Old 06-29-20, 11:59 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Cool weather rider here. I have a very low tolerance for high heat/humidity combination (and it seems to get worse with age) and rarely ride in the summer anymore unless it's really a beautiful day outside. I'll just work out at the gym. I do most of my riding in autumn and spring. Hiking and walking when it's in the 20's and 30's F. in the winter.

Last edited by smurfy; 06-29-20 at 12:10 PM.