Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Early Summer Riding, Everyone

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 06-01-20, 03:51 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

This just in from the Ch. 5 weather girl, we're now in meteorological SUMMER ... what happened to spring???

The same weather girl said that Boston was one inch under the average rain fall this spring. That's a joke - it rained like every day
Old 06-04-20, 05:40 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
This just in from the Ch. 5 weather girl, we're now in meteorological SUMMER ... what happened to spring???

The same weather girl said that Boston was one inch under the average rain fall this spring. That's a joke - it rained like every day
Spring sprung so hard that it sprung right into summer? LOL

Cheers
Old 06-20-20, 07:16 AM
parkbrav

It's now official - Astronomical SUMMER has now begun! (remember, the 2020 Leap Year throws off the calendar some)

"we're waxing down our SURF BOARDS - can't wait for June!" - "Surfing USA" the Beach Boys
Old 06-28-20, 06:27 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
It's now official - Astronomical SUMMER has now begun! (remember, the 2020 Leap Year throws off the calendar some)

"we're waxing down our SURF BOARDS - can't wait for June!" - "Surfing USA" the Beach Boys
There is a dispute between the two. I have never bought much into meteorological seasons.

I want someone to tell that we are in meteorological fall when I am sweating my ass off in September as much as I am in August! September is not a Fall month, it's mostly a summer month!

Even this past June, most of it felt like late spring. Especially the very nice weather we had in the last week of ASTRONOMICAL SPRING!!!
Old 06-29-20, 07:34 PM
parkbrav

The "quick reply" is that I believe it's between warm weather states, that start the spring earlier, vs. cold weather states, that start spring later. The warmer states would observe the "Meterological" seasons more, I believe

Also, the astronomical dates mark the equinoxes and solstices - the precise moments when the sun is at a certain angle in the sky each season.

Interesting topic - please reply more if you're also interested
Old 06-30-20, 10:44 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Fascinating. But this usually is the time when I start thinking about winter.
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 07-01-20, 03:41 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Fascinating. But this usually is the time when I start thinking about winter.
Can I pick your brain? Are there a few pointers you might please consider sharing so that I may also get ready for winter?

At this point in to the quarantine, I am cycling just once a week for groceries. That's it.
Old 07-03-20, 10:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Can I pick your brain? Are there a few pointers you might please consider sharing so that I may also get ready for winter?

At this point in to the quarantine, I am cycling just once a week for groceries. That's it.
FWIW, my most important strategy is to keep all my cold weather gear together as I gradually abandon it in the spring, so I can find everthing as I gradually accumulate it in the fall.

In a somewhat consecutive order: face mask, neck gaiter, winter windproof ski gloves, heavy socks, heavy winter jacket, heavyweight cycling tights, goggles, neoprene booties.

Then at some point in December I make the decision to put the studded tires on for the duration, to come off usually in April at the latest.