Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Shifter Boss Adapter Conversion

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-11-20, 08:26 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

I purchased a Ross Signature bike from a forum member some time ago. I've finally got to it on my project list. I wanted this bike because of the excellent ride provided by the triple butted, Ishiwata steel frame. This bike will be a rider so I'm not concerned about originality. I want to convert it to a brifter bike with Shimano RSX 2X7 shifters. I'm all set to mount the shifters but when I tried to attach the cable adapters to the shifter bosses on the frame, nothing doing, they won't fit. The bosses work with Shimano, friction downtube shifters and are not the same bosses found on a frame with Shimano index shifters. They have a notch on them the index bosses don't have and they don't extend as far as the index bosses. I'm OK with all that but I need to know will any other adapters work with these shifter bosses? I went on ebay and found some Campagnolo adapters and some other brand I'm not familiar with, but I'm reluctent to buy unless I'm fairly sure they'll work.
I know I can simply put a vintage, chrome cable stop that I have in my spare parts bin, but that won't look nearly as good as adapters that will work with those shifter bosses.
Does anyone know if there's an adapter that I can bolt up to these shifter bosses?
Here's a pic of the Ross frame bosses and a pic of the standard Shimano adapters that I thought would work, but don't.
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-11-20, 08:30 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I purchased a Ross Signature bike from a forum member some time ago. I've finally got to it on my project list. I wanted this bike because of the excellent ride provided by the triple butted, Ishiwata steel frame. This bike will be a rider so I'm not concerned about originality. I want to convert it to a brifter bike with Shimano RSX 2X7 shifters. I'm all set to mount the shifters but when I tried to attach the cable adapters to the shifter bosses on the frame, nothing doing, they won't fit. The bosses work with Shimano, friction downtube shifters and are not the same bosses found on a frame with Shimano index shifters. They have a notch on them the index bosses don't have and they don't extend as far as the index bosses. I'm OK with all that but I need to know will any other adapters work with these shifter bosses? I went on ebay and found some Campagnolo adapters and some other brand I'm not familiar with, but I'm reluctent to buy unless I'm fairly sure they'll work.
I know I can simply put a vintage, chrome cable stop that I have in my spare parts bin, but that won't look nearly as good as adapters that will work with those shifter bosses.
Does anyone know if there's an adapter that I can bolt up to these shifter bosses?
Here's a pic of the Ross frame bosses and a pic of the standard Shimano adapters that I thought would work, but don't.
Thanks for any help.

I have some info on this somewhere. I had a Schwinn Voyageur with the same bosses. I think you have to file a notch in the body of the cable stop. I traded the bike before I ever tried to install my barcons. Lemme see if I can find that link somewhere.

Last edited by Phamilton; 09-11-20 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 09-11-20, 08:45 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Found the link

https://simplicityvintagecycles.com/...saAoPA3KMmoEw0
Old 09-11-20, 09:09 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 596 Posts
Sounds like Shimano Type A bosses. If so they are also 4.5mm thread, not 5mm like just about every other bike on the planet. I have an '84 Schwinn Tempo with the same affliction. I have a set of stops that have been notched and was going to get the right 4.5 screws but I've finally given up finding screws and bought a 5mm tap.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 09-11-20 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 09-11-20, 09:59 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
I have some info on this somewhere. I had a Schwinn Voyageur with the same bosses. I think you have to file a notch in the body of the cable stop. I traded the bike before I ever tried to install my barcons. Lemme see if I can find that link somewhere.
+1. Been there, done that. Turned out fine. The Origin8 cable stops are a bit easier to work on than the Shimano.

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Sounds like Shimano Type A bosses. If so they are also 4.5mm thread, not 5mm like just about every other bike on the planet. I have an '84 Schwinn Tempo with the same affliction. I have a set of stops that have been notched and was going to get the right 4.5 screws but I've finally given up finding screws and bought a 5mm tap.
Exactly. I got 4.5 bolts from Fastenal. Tapping is probably a better idea.

I bought a fake Dremel at Aldi and use a B&D Workmate to hold the cable stop.
I don't have a bench or a vice, so I made do.

Al, great to see you on the forums.
Your issues may be due to my long-term curse on you for hoarding Ironman bikes.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-11-20, 11:36 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Now I know what I have to do. Also, thanks for anticipating the question about the threads. That would have been my next question once I got passed the adapter question.
Robbie, I still have two Ironman bikes. Both are now set up to do short rides, both with all OEM shifters, gears and brakes. I'm going to convert one to a brifter bike.