Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

C&O/GAP Logistics Question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

C&O/GAP Logistics Question

Old 08-19-20, 05:38 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Hasn't Amtrak suspended service on some routes?
Old 08-20-20, 05:11 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
FYI, I pondered all these issues last year and decided that riding the GAP was good enough for one trip. And I just wanted to ride, not spend half my energy on logistics. So I drove to Cumberland, MD and parked in the free lot under the freeway. Loaded my Voyageur and rode a short hop to the trail. Then rode 150 miles to the point, took a photo and rode back to the car. Four nights camping, one day (the last day) of rain. 300 mile round trip. I enjoyed it very much. Ellova workout.

My car was just fine. On the first morning, as I approached that parking lot, a city police car was finishing its pass thru and turning out of the lot. "OK, this could be fine." Parked my old Toyota next to a nice car and just got on with my ride.

An alternative to consider. No trains, no late nights, no interminable gazing out train or bus windows, no rentals nor airports. Hassle free.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 08-20-20, 11:25 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I'm probable doing this at the end of the month or beginning September. My van has a high clearance so I studied the PPA site and they list clearances! I added an exclamation point because hardly any city does this and I've even called to inquire (Asheville) and never received a return call (pre-COVID so they can't use that as an excuse).

I'll look at the airport parking option (and the bicycle route too the trail head), as I was concerned about crime leaving it in one spot for a week or more. Airport parking seems to be better than a lot of garages in downtown areas.

Edit - looks like a mix of MUP and two lane roads from the airport for a little over 20 miles. Maybe not so bad, depending on the time day (and day).
Let me know when you nail down a date. I won't be around the last week of August most likely, but should be here the first week of September. I may be able to help you.
Old 08-20-20, 06:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
FYI, I pondered all these issues last year and decided that riding the GAP was good enough for one trip. And I just wanted to ride, not spend half my energy on logistics. So I drove to Cumberland, MD and parked in the free lot under the freeway. Loaded my Voyageur and rode a short hop to the trail. Then rode 150 miles to the point, took a photo and rode back to the car. Four nights camping, one day (the last day) of rain. 300 mile round trip. I enjoyed it very much. Ellova workout.

My car was just fine. On the first morning, as I approached that parking lot, a city police car was finishing its pass thru and turning out of the lot. "OK, this could be fine." Parked my old Toyota next to a nice car and just got on with my ride.

An alternative to consider. No trains, no late nights, no interminable gazing out train or bus windows, no rentals nor airports. Hassle free.
I did the same last year, though I took a little longer, in part to visit with a friend of mine in Pittsburgh. Got to Cumberland a day early and camped at the Y. Parked in the same lot the next morning and started the ride. I chose a space close to the street for visibility reasons. My newish Forester was just how I left it.

Never felt like I was doing the same ride out and back. Camped at Rockwood and Connellsville on the way out. Stayed in a pretty inexpensive Holiday Inn Express on the South Side of Pittsburgh, just off a trail that connects with the GAP. On the way back I camped at W. Newton, Confluence and Frostburg.

I was cold, tired and wet at the end. Walked around Cumberland, found a nice place for lunch using the map the NPS people at the visitor center gave me, drove to a cheap motel in Bedford, spent the night and drove home to Philadelphia the next morning.

Like you mention, far fewer logistical hurdles, including counting on the train being on time.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-20-20 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-21-20, 05:57 AM
Prowler 

^^^^^^ I also camped at Confluence, Rockwood and Connellsville. All good but Connellsville was my favorite. Great location and facilities. Now that was at the end of an 85 mile day so I was a bit weary. And the weather was perfect. Pitched my tent inside a shelter. Despite having "city" near by, a grocery store just down the hill, it was quiet as a cemeraty that night. Great rest.

Had my bowl of granola for breakfast with naught but birds chirping in the cool sunrise. Promises of a fine day to come. And the promise of a warm shower at Rockwood. Aaaah........
Old 08-21-20, 08:00 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
So I drove to Cumberland, MD and parked in the free lot under the freeway.
A friend and I left our cars there for a few days last year. Had no issues.

Last edited by u235; 08-21-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

^^^^^^ I also camped at Confluence, Rockwood and Connellsville. All good but Connellsville was my favorite. Great location and facilities.
When I stayed there in 2013 there was a used condom in one of the shelters. Later that evening a volunteer trail patrol guy came by and told me the locals like to use them for sex.

What time were you in Connellsville last year? I went in September. In a couple of the shelters (but not all of them) there were flyers advertising hot showers at the new hotel along the trail just south of the campsite. $10, and you get a large towel, soap and shampoo. They even let me bring my bike in the lobby. Really nice at the end of a warm and humid day.
Old 08-23-20, 04:38 AM
Prowler 

^^^^^^ I was there in mid August. Yes, hot and humid. I also saw the hotel fliers. The hot showers sounded good but, after 85 miles (Dravo to the point then to C'ville) I was too tired. Also, I'd unpacked all my stuff and set up camp before I saw the shower offer. I did not feel like leaving all that lying around while I was away.
Old 08-23-20, 01:22 PM
u235

WendyWorld campground in Confluence has a locking enclosed 4 person bunk house with a patio/deck/picnic table and electric for $20/person a night. With that you get access on the property to a shower that takes quarters. Need your own towel, soap, sheets, mattress etc. An option if you don't want to pitch your tent for the night. The one time I stayed there was a massive storm that blew through so it worked out pretty good.

Last edited by u235; 08-23-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by u235
WendyWorld campground in Confluence has a locking enclosed 4 person bunk house with a patio/deck/picnic table and electric for $20/person a night. With that you get access on the property to a shower that takes quarters. Need your own towel, soap, sheets, mattress etc. An option if you don't want to pitch your tent for the night. The one time I stayed there was a massive storm that blew through so it worked out pretty good.
But if you’re coming from Pittsburgh, what do you do about food for dinner?
Old 08-23-20, 04:30 PM
u235

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I went to the grocery store in Confluence and got easy to eat things. I'm not picky for various meals on a 5 day trip, I can eat stuff cold out of the can. Restaurants in Confluence are decent to. The gas station has good breakfast. Dug through my pictures and this was me about to eat at Wendysworld bunkhouse, just used a spork.
I'm sure I had more to eat than just that for dinner, probably peanut butter and cheese crackers.
I believe I stopped at Valley Dairy restaurant in Connellsville for lunch that day, great diner.

Last edited by u235; 08-24-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 07:52 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I agree, Connellsville. They have some nice shelters you can camp in, adjacent to a grocery store. Bon Appetit.
Old 08-26-20, 03:28 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

You have a good (alternative) point that I'm open to.
Old 08-26-20, 03:31 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Let me know when you nail down a date. I won't be around the last week of August most likely, but should be here the first week of September. I may be able to help you.
Thank you Phughes. I'm in VA now and still poking/riding around the areas south of you. If I come up that way for this ride it will likely be after or close to this next weekend and I'd get back with you if it fell into the first week. Nice to have some local assistance and knowledge.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 08-26-20 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For Ridefreemc:
Old 08-26-20, 06:35 PM
indyfabz

FYI... I am now looking at PGH to PHL, arriving from the latter by train. Priced at room at the Hampton close to the station for 9/11. Rate was $118+ tax. Not bad at all.
Old 08-27-20, 08:24 AM
phughes

Thank you Phughes. I'm in VA now and still poking/riding around the areas south of you. If I come up that way for this ride it will likely be after or close to this next weekend and I'd get back with you if it fell into the first week. Nice to have some local assistance and knowledge.
Have a great ride! My wife and I are headed to Niagara Falls today, but we will be back sometime Saturday, probably not until late. After that we should be around. Let me know of I can help in any way.
Old 08-27-20, 07:03 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The first time we did this we took Amtrak from Pgh to DC and rode back. You can check bags and bikes in 24 hours before departure so the evening before we dropped everything off at the station and checked it in to have an easy departure in the early AM. We tool a cab to the AMtrak stayion 30 min before departure the next AM and already had our tickets so just got there, sat for a few minutes and boarded the train. It could not have been easier. Got to DC on time and started our trip We bought tickets over a month in advance and they were really cheap. 4 of us and two tandems for that trip.

I would not want to be checking in all of our stuff in the wee hours of the AM before departure.

If you go to the station a week before you can get used bike boxes free if they have them (they often do). Then pack your bike at home at your leisure. I put a lot of luggage on with the bike even thoug they say not to.

Last edited by dwmckee; 08-27-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dwmckee

If you go to the station a week before you can get used bike boxes free if they have them (they often do). Then pack your bike at home at your leisure. I put a lot of luggage on with the bike even thoug they say not to.
Bike boxes are no longer required for the Capitol Limited. They are also not required for the Pennsylvanian. Both assuming you reserve one of the bike spots. There are 8 on the former and 6 on the latter.
Old 08-28-20, 09:07 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Yes, but if you box it (which is just remove pedals and turn handlebars), you do not have to worry about limited bike space on the roll-on roll-off cars. And yoyu can check everything in the dy before and just take a cab to the airpot, not worry about parking or carrying bikes to the station or checking in the AM of departure. It is just a simpler option for some.
Old 09-05-20, 07:29 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Have a great ride! My wife and I are headed to Niagara Falls today, but we will be back sometime Saturday, probably not until late. After that we should be around. Let me know of I can help in any way.
Finished riding in VA and with rain coming + weekend (campsites fill up) I decided to head back south to ride at Mulberry Gap. Thank you for the offer of assistance.
Old 09-06-20, 10:33 AM
phughes

Finished riding in VA and with rain coming + weekend (campsites fill up) I decided to head back south to ride at Mulberry Gap. Thank you for the offer of assistance.
Anytime. I hope you had a good ride.
Old 09-24-20, 10:38 AM
u235

Not directly related to this thread but..
This weekend was my first time on the C&O since last September. I usually do it one or twice a year and portions of the southern half at least once a month but not this year.. I guess when you don't see it for a while you notice big changes? I'm not a total fan of the new crushed limestone. It was on the southern end as far north as Sheperdstown. I guess it makes for a nice smooth trail since while it is relatively new but maybe I'm the crumpy old man who likes the randomness it had before. Oh well, I wonder if it is as resilient to washout like the prior was. One thing is the new solid wide crushed trail (without the grass in the center) seemed to open it up to a lot more walkers and battery assisted recumbents, even some really wide ones. I saw more this trip than I have in the last few years combined. I did not get to see a situation where two were approaching each other from opposite directions but one of them would have to stop and/or significantly get off the trail in the narrower areas. It wasn't a problem for me to get around, just an observation. I did not get a request to be passed by one but I think that would get a little tricky. I would slow or stop and hug the edge the whole time while they passed. Great to see the new surface is welcomed by someone if even I don't like it
I've even seen in the local news occasionally small groups of people pushing or raising awareness for sections to be paved. I hope that never happens.
Another note, it's getting close to end of year anyway but 75% of the pumps I passed were disabled with the handles removed. If you are using those as a source, fill up when you see one that works!

Last edited by u235; 09-24-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 12:35 PM
jfoobar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Not directly related to this thread but..
This weekend was my first time on the C&O since last September. I usually do it one or twice a year and portions of the southern half at least once a month but not this year.. I guess when you don't see it for a while you notice big changes? I'm not a total fan of the new crushed limestone. It was on the southern end as far north as Sheperdstown. I guess it makes for a nice smooth trail since while it is relatively new but maybe I'm the crumpy old man who likes the randomness it had before. Oh well, I wonder if it is as resilient to washout like the prior was. One thing is the new solid wide crushed trail (without the grass in the center) seemed to open it up to a lot more walkers and battery assisted recumbents, even some really wide ones. I saw more this trip than I have in the last few years combined. I did not get to see a situation where two were approaching each other from opposite directions but one of them would have to stop and/or significantly get off the trail in the narrower areas. It wasn't a problem for me to get around, just an observation. I did not get a request to be passed by one but I think that would get a little tricky. I would slow or stop and hug the edge the whole time while they passed. Great to see the new surface is welcomed by someone if even I don't like it
Here is the schedule of the resurfacing:

https://www.canaltrust.org/support/o...acing-project/

I have not yet done the entire C&O but my father-in-law does the full Pittsburgh to DC ride almost every year (but not this year due to Covid) and the only part he doesn't like is the half of the C&O closest to DC due to the uneven surface and the mud so these changes will probably make him quite happy.

I've even seen in the local news occasionally small groups of people pushing or raising awareness for sections to be paved. I hope that never happens.
Another note, it's getting close to end of year anyway but 75% of the pumps I passed were disabled with the handles removed. If you are using those as a source, fill up when you see one that works!
Since the Canal Trust is so reliant on Maryland state funds for their work, I would think even a vocal minority opposed to paving would give Maryland all the excuse they need to not cough up the millions that would cost. The opposition to paving it would be pretty significant I would imagine.
Old 09-26-20, 06:36 AM
indyfabz

BTW...During my recent tour across PA that included the GAP I ended up getting a room at the Fairfield Inn in Cumberland to dry out and clean up. You can literally ride your bike off the very beginning of the C&O to the front door. Very bike friendly, and they have a washer and dryer. $1.50 each, and the front desk gave me free soap. Booked the room the same morning while in Meyersdale. Was less than $110.l not including tax, which wasn’t that much. Maybe $17.
Old 09-26-20, 10:21 AM
phughes

BTW...During my recent tour across PA that included the GAP I ended up getting a room at the Fairfield Inn in Cumberland to dry out and clean up. You can literally ride your bike off the very beginning of the C&O to the front door. Very bike friendly, and they have a washer and dryer. $1.50 each, and the front desk gave me free soap. Booked the room the same morning while in Meyersdale. Was less than $110.l not including tax, which wasn’t that much. Maybe $17.
Another option for Cumberland, is the YMCA. I camped there, and they let you use all their facilities as well. It was nice to use their showers. They also let us set up in their pavilion. I hung my hammock under the pavilion and didn't have to worry about using my rain fly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.