Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclist Passing Etiquette

Old 09-30-20, 02:39 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
....oftentimes I'll wait behind someone while someone coming in the opposite direction can go (too many people try to split in the middle, I would never do that).
Now that you mention it, that seems to happen more often than not. I'll be overtaking a jogger and I'm just about to start my pass but here comes either another jogger or a cyclist in the other direction, so we all pass pretty much almost at the same time. Then I won't see another soul for the next five miles....
Old 09-30-20, 02:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Once I was putting away my bike after one of those big day rides where you pay money to a charity. I start walking to the HQ building and I hear, "there he is" as a woman was pointing me out to a policeman. Huh? Turns out I had passed her a few miles from the end, going completely into the other traffic lane, but didn't warn her. Cop waved me away and was trying to explain to the woman that I'd done nothing wrong; She of course (being a total noob to riding - probably did the 6 mile route) was incensed by not being warned even though I'd probably left her 10 feet of room.
Wait until you get one of those "Susans"

They will not let up once they sink there fangled teeth into a perceived "problem"
Old 09-30-20, 03:11 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by FoldingSpace
If the rule .
Rule? There are no rules, just an open path and the drive to win. You'd better hold your line, because I ain't slowing or calling anything out. I ride like I have nothing to lose.
Old 09-30-20, 03:17 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Aim for where they are, cause they won't be there when you pass.
Dang dude, you're on a roll in this thread
Old 09-30-20, 03:25 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
There can be a safety reason to give a signal before passing.

A rider passed me on the road about a year ago and nearly caused us to collide. I rode down a fairly steep hill, slowing because there was a car right in front of me and going slow and I was going to turn left soon anyway.

Just as I’m past one street and about to put my arm out for the left turn signal for my upcoming turn, a rider who hadn’t slowed down to observe the pace of the traffic flew past without prior notice. It was pure luck that I didn’t clobber him in the face with my turn signal or collide with him as I began to ease into my turn.

So also as a matter of safety, it’s good to make sure riders know you are behind them, because you can’t assume they will follow the straight route where turns are an option.

Otto

Devils advocate..
Maybe it was not luck at all. Maybe he/she was proactively watching you as they approached, assumed you looked relatively stable, saw you were slowing and knew your pace and had a very good idea of your immediate path and trajectory as they got closer. Being behind you and not knowing they were there, you did not notice he/she actually did slow down and had in their own mind a pretty good feel for the pace of upcoming traffic and the thought you may be turning because there is an intersection and ready to adjust if so. Easing into a turn which is a good assumption to make gives a lot of flexibility. If you did a sudden quick 90 or something abnormal for the situation and abrupt, maybe things would be different.

Last edited by u235; 09-30-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 03:33 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Yes, I do think you're expecting too much. But lectures are fun. Plus, apparently, you hate getting passed.

As you can see everyone here has never done anything wrong when cycling, just like you. We always wave, always announce, always stop at the stop sign on empty roads when nobody is around, always signal every turn and stop when in traffic, always wax our chains and never-ever-EVAH throw our SiS Gels into the bushes like we're Alaphilippe attacking on the last climb.

There's two measures when it comes to cycling with others (cars, pedestrians, cyclists and those dreaded roadies with their drop bars, lycra, carbon and other snobbery) and those two measures is all there will ever be.

1. First Measure: Not Hit.
2. Second Measure: Hit.

Number two is bad. Number one is what happens to the vast majority of cyclists. We don't get hit. Close pass? Irrelevant. Don't hit. Period. A cyclist passed within one foot? I don't see the problem. But I'm not scared.

If you're scared, pull your mask on tight....tighter....and go back inside on Zwift. That way you don't have to worry about the lumpenproletariat roadies passing without a personal greeting, written invitation, and signed non compete clause filled out prior to any engagement with you as you're crushing the downhills at 35mph.

No worries though you can still get your lecture fix because when you're inside and some Asian dude passes you on the Alpe du Zwift at 8.7w/kg you can come on here and still post great "well I never!" threads so everyone can understand (finally) about how egregious weight doping is.
I think you misunderstood the original post. Either that or you're just an angry human. Your response makes no sense (except to you of course).
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 09-30-20, 03:58 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
I think you misunderstood the original post. Either that or you're just an angry human. Your response makes no sense (except to you of course).
Wait are you saying that the original post was SERIOUS?

Oh....might have to edit my post then.

And my response probably shouldn't make sense, it's mostly rambling little crackles of half witted thoughts running through my pee brained skull.

Hmmmm.....quick question though; do you actually get upset when someone passes you?
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 09-30-20, 07:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?
Have you also noticed how many have their ear piece on? Unsure if they can even hear me
Old 09-30-20, 09:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Devils advocate..
Maybe it was not luck at all. Maybe he/she was proactively watching you as they approached, assumed you looked relatively stable, saw you were slowing and knew your pace and had a very good idea of your immediate path and trajectory as they got closer. Being behind you and not knowing they were there, you did not notice he/she actually did slow down and had in their own mind a pretty good feel for the pace of upcoming traffic and the thought you may be turning because there is an intersection and ready to adjust if so. Easing into a turn which is a good assumption to make gives a lot of flexibility. If you did a sudden quick 90 or something abnormal for the situation and abrupt, maybe things would be different.
Nope. He had bombed it downhill, blew past me at high speed because the straight route is up a steep hill and then proceeded to try to pass the car ahead of us on the left on the way up the hill. So he essentially blocked the other lane of the road all the way up the hill. Not sure exactly how that turned out for him as I did go ahead and make the turn.

This was an unnecessary and seriously risky move on his part. Luckily no harm done. I know them when I see them... I’ve made my share though I really trying to avoid them. 😊

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-30-20 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 09:00 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Wait are you saying that the original post was SERIOUS?

Oh....might have to edit my post then.

And my response probably shouldn't make sense, it's mostly rambling little crackles of half witted thoughts running through my pee brained skull.

Hmmmm.....quick question though; do you actually get upset when someone passes you?
No, I don't care if someone passes me. I'm only bothered when someone doesn't know how to pass in a competent manner.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 10-01-20, 09:11 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Have you also noticed how many have their ear piece on? Unsure if they can even hear me
In my area there are not as many riders wearing ear buds as you would expect. However, I do encounter folks with ear buds on a daily basis. It's an unncecessary risk in my opinion and makes riding more dangerous for eveyone. I do travel with a portable bluetooth speaker because I find it hard to be on a multi-hour ride without music. I know an "external" speaker is a big no-no to some cyclists because of the added weight combined with the fact that some cyclists find it bothersome. But if I'm riding near another cyclist I try to be considerate by turning the music down. Sometimes I turn it off entirely until there is some distance between us.
Old 10-01-20, 09:23 AM
Reflector Guy

In my area there are not as many riders wearing ear buds as you would expect. However, I do encounter folks with ear buds on a daily basis. It's an unncecessary risk in my opinion and makes riding more dangerous for eveyone. I do travel with a portable bluetooth speaker because I find it hard to be on a multi-hour ride without music. I know an "external" speaker is a big no-no to some cyclists because of the added weight combined with the fact that some cyclists find it bothersome. But if I'm riding near another cyclist I try to be considerate by turning the music down. Sometimes I turn it off entirely until there is some distance between us.
Those external speakers are a pet peeve of mine. How are you supposed to hear me when I call out my intention to pass?
Old 10-01-20, 10:54 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

this past summer I encounter a crash when I was walking around the park. A cyclist was riding his bike on the walk path in the park with a speaker and music on, I had no clue which direction the music was coming from so I just walked to my left and they cyclists went to my right and ended up coming off the curbed and crashed into the parked cars. He was gashed up and scraped entire right side of his body. All his friends were saying that’s what he gets for listening to music on the speakers and not paying attention. I never heard a word which direction he was going bc all I can hear was music.
Old 10-01-20, 12:22 PM
u235

Originally Posted by jay4usc
this past summer I encounter a crash when I was walking around the park. A cyclist was riding his bike on the walk path in the park with a speaker and music on, I had no clue which direction the music was coming from so I just walked to my left and they cyclists went to my right and ended up coming off the curbed and crashed into the parked cars. He was gashed up and scraped entire right side of his body. All his friends were saying that’s what he gets for listening to music on the speakers and not paying attention. I never heard a word which direction he was going bc all I can hear was music.
The music played zero role in that, not paying attention did. Unless it's a huge boom box and weighing down a side of your bike and throwing off your balance, they do not make you drift unnecessarily or more and hit cars. Correlation does not imply causation.

Last edited by u235; 10-01-20 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-01-20, 12:26 PM
WT160

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I have a bell now, but I used to usually say "on your left" when passing.

I had a guy pass me the other day who said "on my right" when passing. I objected. That formulation doesn't help!
Old 10-01-20, 12:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Some bicyclists are simply inconsiderate idiots.

I was going along a road where the road splits and the right hand lane becomes another road and is a right hand turn lane only. The layout oft he two roads is like a very shallow 'sideways Y' with the leg of the Y continuing as a s single lane.. I had gone across the '>' of the Y and went to move to my right and very nearly got hit by a bicyclist on a high end bike and dressed in cycling gear. He passed me very narrowly missing me. Passing on the right on that single lane road is illegal but it didn't stop or even slow him down. Had I moved further right or moved right faster we would have collided.

Cheers
Old 10-01-20, 12:54 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Some bicyclists are simply inconsiderate idiots.

I was going along a road where the road splits and the right hand lane becomes another road and is a right hand turn lane only. The layout oft he two roads is like a very shallow 'sideways Y' with the leg of the Y continuing as a s single lane.. I had gone across the '>' of the Y and went to move to my right and very nearly got hit by a bicyclist on a high end bike and dressed in cycling gear. He passed me very narrowly missing me. Passing on the right on that single lane road is illegal but it didn't stop or even slow him down. Had I moved further right or moved right faster we would have collided.

Cheers
Were you on a bike?

Old 10-01-20, 12:59 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by u235
The music played zero role in that, not paying attention did. Unless it's a huge boom box and weighing down a side of your bike and throwing off your balance, they do not make you drift unnecessarily or more and hit cars. Correlation does not imply causation.
to me it did. I didn’t know If it was coming from a car from the parking lot or what and reason why I move towards the grass and forced the cyclist to ride towards the parking lot where he crashed. If I would of known he was behind me I would of given him some room to my left.
Old 10-01-20, 01:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Were you on a bike?
Yes I was.

Cheers
Old 10-01-20, 04:00 PM
u235

Originally Posted by WT160
I have a bell now, but I used to usually say "on your left" when passing.

I had a guy pass me the other day who said "on my right" when passing. I objected. That formulation doesn't help!
On parts of the paved W&OD trail in northern VA there is a second parallel gravel/dirt bridal trail. The distance from the main trail varies from out of sight beyond the brush and over the hill and other times really close right next to the paved trail. I often take that path less traveled instead of the pavement and you have to be really careful because you could be passing people on the paved trail to their right. Realizing the potential risk of doing the opposite of what people expect, when possible I usually get back on the paved trail, pass them on the left and sweep back over off the paved and back into the gravel even though in theory I could stay to the right off the paved section and have a straight shot past.

Last edited by u235; 10-02-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 04:20 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Those external speakers are a pet peeve of mine. How are you supposed to hear me when I call out my intention to pass?
With ear buds or headphones I would not be able to hear you. I use an external speaker so I can hear you when you call out your intention to pass.
Old 10-02-20, 05:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I don't get passed by other cyclists too often, but the past few times it's happened the person passing me has given no verbal warning (i.e. "on your left"), no ring of the bell (if they had one), and when they passed they were about a foot away from me. Extremely rude in my opinion, and to top it off they couldn't even stay in front of me after they passed.

What's up with the lack of etiquette from other cyclists? Do they just not know any better? Do they think that I'm "less" of a cyclist because they're on a road bike with drop bars and I'm not, therefore etiquette does not matter?

When passing any cyclist these are three basic rules that I follow:

1. Ring my bell or provide a verbal warning (i.e. "on your left") as I approach.
2. When I pass the other rider I try to give them 3ft. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so if I'm not constrained by traffic there's no reason to "crowd" another rider.
3. If I pass another rider I make sure to stay out front and keep on going.

I'm not sure why other humans on bikes don't show similar consideration, but many don't. Is anyone else experiencing a similar dynamic? Does anyone think I'm expecting too much in the way of etiquette from my fellow cyclists?

If they pass you without doing all those things you do, that means they think you're a good cyclist and they trust your bicycle handling skills.

If they were were to ring their bell or provide a verbal warning, that's an indication they don't quite trust you.

Don't complain.
Likes For Machka:
Old 10-02-20, 05:46 AM
Reflector Guy

With ear buds or headphones I would not be able to hear you. I use an external speaker so I can hear you when you call out your intention to pass.
No, you're only assuming that. My voice isn't very loud, even if I shout.

The real irony here is that in a thread complaining about people who don't announce their intent to pass, it took nearly a hundred posts before the OP told us the rest of the story: He has a speaker on his bike playing music.

Maybe try leaving the music off next time and see if magically there are now a whole lot more people calling out before they pass.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-02-20, 06:55 AM
totheDude

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
At the moment, the frenetic squirrels are a big concern here. So many, so active and so random. I really don’t want them dashing to and fro and ending up in my front wheel. That would be a mess for all involved, I reckon. Hard to anticipate, though. Sometimes they dart across at the very last moment.

Otto
Would LOVE to smash one of those pests with my bike.
Old 10-02-20, 07:51 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by totheDude
Would LOVE to smash one of those pests with my bike.
I’ve done it a couple times. It’s just sad when it happens, assuming it doesn’t cause a wreck.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.