Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

OTET/Bike Rt 1 - signs - Dalton, OH? Any thoughts?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-23-20, 03:39 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

These signs are at the intersection of Rt 94 and Rt 30 as you are going north to the start of the Sippo Valley Trail in Dalton, OH.

Does anyone know what the OUT sign is for? It is pointing to turn left/west on Rt 30 - which is a 4 lane highway. I can't make any sense of it, other than it is a joke - as I interpreted it when I rode thru that night. Other than "out" meaning to "get off the trail and get comfortable" I am not sure what that sign could mean. Which is why I ask if anyone knows what it really means? Either way, I still find it quite humorous.
Old 11-23-20, 07:31 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Any chance it's an acronym like "Ohio Urban Trail" ?
Old 11-23-20, 07:37 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by robow
Any chance it's an acronym like "Ohio Urban Trail" ?
Why would a cycling sign direct a cyclist to ride on a 4 lane highway? That is what perplexes me. I'm not sure if it is a cycling sign. But that's why I started the thread.
Old 11-24-20, 10:25 AM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It's not cycling related at all. "OUT" = EXIT for the Dalton Dari-ette Drive In. There is a corresponding "IN" sign at the south end of the driveway/ parking lot of the establishment.

Last edited by JDandy; 11-24-20 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-24-20, 10:54 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by JDandy
It's not cycling related at all. "OUT" = EXIT for the Dalton Dari-ette Drive In. There is a corresponding "IN" sign at the south end of the driveway/ parking lot of the establishment.
Alas, the mystery as been solved. Thanks to Google Maps Street View... I suspect that is what you looked at. I am not sure why I didn't think of that before. So the sign has a legitimate purpose it appears.

Though, I still find the humor in it in combination with the cycling signs. Regardless of the weather on that trip (cool and wet), that trail terminus (west end of the Sippo Valley, if you are following the OTET from S to N) is after about 20 miles of hilly country roads - the most elevation gain segment of the whole trip. So there is always reason to want "out" for anyone on the route going that direction at that point in the route.