Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Delicate question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Delicate question

Old 02-18-21, 06:00 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I was talking to some cyclist friends who live in a SWern city that has long bike trails, no trees, not much terrain variation and no public bathrooms. Given how spread out the city is, there are long stretches without any semi-public spaces: no stores or restaurants. So this leads me to start wondering: when a person gets to be the age where one thing they're always keeping an eye on is where is the next bathroom (or bathroom equivalent ), what do you do on a long ride when you know the issue is going to come up and there's nof going to be anyplace to go ?

This is not my issue... yet . But I want to do some bicycle touring in the spring and I know it's going to be something I need to plan for. So what do people do? Heck, they must deal with it in the TDF, right? (Feel free to tell me what people you know do, rather than whatyou do , and I'll tell my " friends. ")
try nyc there is nowhere to go.
​​i need to plan every ride
around my pre pee pee stop. i avoid beverage unless super hot.
it is a real and true problem more so since covid
Old 02-21-21, 01:58 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Be aware that many public places are covered by CCTV cameras, so behave accordingly. As others have noted, in some jurisdictions you can be put on the sex offenders list for public urination. At 76, trying to stay hydrated, I'm often looking for places of concealment. My riding friend avoids drinking and thus pit stops. Would be great of bike path maintenance included strategically places Porta Potties. Not happening where I ride.
Old 02-22-21, 09:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Always check your immediate surroundings when squatting...

Old 02-22-21, 12:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
There's safety in numbers.
Old 03-11-21, 02:43 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hold your phone up to your ear like you are on a call. At first glance, it looks like you're talking on your phone.
Old 03-11-21, 03:31 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
For every person posting here on techniques for pissing in public, there are probably another 10 who, like me, have long since figured out how to drink enough to stay hydrated without having to make pee stops. In over 50 years of multi-hour rides, I don't remember having to stop more than once or twice to pee. If I feel the urge during the first hour of the ride, I simply ignore the feeling until I've sweated enough to reach the point where I need to drink, which usually takes another half-hour or so.
Old 03-11-21, 03:55 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
You are lucky Trakhak , at least, so far. Some men when they age get enlarged prostates, some get prostate cancer. The problem is that when peeing (or trying to) it is not possible to empty the bladder fully. Depending upon the situation some always remains. As a result, more pit stops are needed. It is not a matter of self control.

I went to a Urologist office where the staff had me to pee in a cup. Next, they used an ultrasound, like checking a pre-natal baby, to see how much you have left in your bladder. I still had almost half a tank! No wonder I have to go more often.

By the way, my dad is 93 years old and has no such problem. So it varies. Some get it, some don't.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-14-21, 10:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You don't want to emulate what the TDF guys do. I've never not found some privacy to go so just spitballing, could you find a lightweight cloak to tent around you? It would be weird, but no one could tell for certain what you were doing.
Old 03-14-21, 11:25 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Oh my... what a serious problem. My mom always keeps a lookout when nature calls me.
Old 03-14-21, 11:55 AM
05 fuji
Cancer survivor (twice)

Bikes: 2020 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For every person posting here on techniques for pissing in public, there are probably another 10 who, like me, have long since figured out how to drink enough to stay hydrated without having to make pee stops. In over 50 years of multi-hour rides, I don't remember having to stop more than once or twice to pee. If I feel the urge during the first hour of the ride, I simply ignore the feeling until I've sweated enough to reach the point where I need to drink, which usually takes another half-hour or so.
I wouldn't wish prostate removal due to cancer on anyone - but if you had to experience it you would have a much different perspective. It's a shame that you think it is always a controllable situation.
Old 03-14-21, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’m trying to imagine the mechanism that transports water already concentrated in the bladder as urine to the skin to be evaporated as sweat.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-15-21, 08:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
It is difficult to urinate surreptitiously at night when you and your bike are lit up like the Vegas strip (see avatar).
Old 03-22-21, 09:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
I was talking to some cyclist friends who live in a SWern city that has long bike trails, no trees, not much terrain variation and no public bathrooms. Given how spread out the city is, there are long stretches without any semi-public spaces: no stores or restaurants. So this leads me to start wondering: when a person gets to be the age where one thing they're always keeping an eye on is where is the next bathroom (or bathroom equivalent ), what do you do on a long ride when you know the issue is going to come up and there's nof going to be anyplace to go ?

This is not my issue... yet . But I want to do some bicycle touring in the spring and I know it's going to be something I need to plan for. So what do people do? Heck, they must deal with it in the TDF, right? (Feel free to tell me what people you know do, rather than whatyou do , and I'll tell my " friends. ")
coincidentally just heard from a friend who was out for a 70-miler yesterday. Said he was peeing behind a bush when a local (rural NC) saw him and “went berserk”. My guy apparently channeled his inner Canadian and kept apologizing until the Ol’ Yeller ran out of steam. Don’t know the full scoop - maybe the bush was in the guys yard?