Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Alex, I'll take "Foods that don't have to be cooked"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 11:27 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I just eat 80 percent of the time. But if you are planning a week long trip where you will not be cooking, you can't "just eat" unless you decided in advance what you were going to carry on your bike.
I get what you are saying, but I have planned week long trips on the bike as well, and as long as there are stores on your route, it isn't really difficult to "just eat." I will have to add though, that my last tour posed some difficulties in that regard, since many days I went without seeing any stores, or restaurants from the time I left came, to when I was near my next camp.

My comment though wan't addressed at you, it was addressed at the overly complex analysis of food using charts. Offering up information as you have done in this thread is very useful, and appreciated.

I think this thread is very valuable, but I still find the over-analyzing of food using charts or spreadsheets to be a bit overkill.
Old 03-26-21, 11:31 AM
phughes

Got it.

I rarely think in volume measurements, I have a good weight scale that often use. For example, at home I know how many ounces of pasta noodles I want, how many ounces (by weight) of sauce I want on it, etc. When I bbq, I know that I want my hamburger patties to be about 5 ounces, etc. But, I am an engineer by training, we often think in terms of absurdly excessive precision for things that do not warrant it.
Since I bake all of our bread, and other things, I use a very nice scale as well. It simply makes replicating a recipe mush easier, and making bread dough easier, since I can simply add as much flour as I like, not following a recipe, then figure the proper amount of water to get the hydration level I want. The scale in an invaluable too in the kitchen. It gets used for almost everything else I cook as well.
Old 03-26-21, 11:36 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yes. We are all bots

Just eating only works if you have food sources readily available and no expectations or demands on physical output. Once you have to preplan or desire a specific outcome you wind up thinking about it. Or fall prey to every fad or miracle product that comes along.

Most easily prepared base expedition grade diets can be made from simple cheap ingredients with a little forethought and pre-planning.
I understand preparing, and I do, but not over-thinking, using charts and spreadsheets. As for fads, and miracle products go, that is more a product of over-thinking than simply choosing good food and eating it. I am not interested in fad diets or miracle foods. The key in your last statement was, "a little forethought," not spreadsheets and endless over-thinking.
Old 03-26-21, 11:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I get what you are saying, but I have planned week long trips on the bike as well, and as long as there are stores on your route, it isn't really difficult to "just eat." I will have to add though, that my last tour posed some difficulties in that regard, since many days I went without seeing any stores, or restaurants from the time I left came, to when I was near my next camp.

My comment though wan't addressed at you, it was addressed at the overly complex analysis of food using charts. Offering up information as you have done in this thread is very useful, and appreciated.

I think this thread is very valuable, but I still find the over-analyzing of food using charts or spreadsheets to be a bit overkill.
My last tour, I knew in advance that there would be about a week where I was in a food desert. But I think it was on day five or six when I found a grocery store that was not on any of my maps. Pleasant surprise.

When the sign says no fuel for your car for 205 km, you can pretty much bet that you will go a lot further than that before you find a well stocked grocery store.

Maybe my problem is that I love wilderness too much.

I agree that it is possible to over-think this stuff, thus I prefer to just put together my meal plan and then after that check calories and protein, then add in where I had shortages.

One trip when I got home, I had some physical issues, my Dr looked at the lab tests and bluntly said you need more protein. That was when I learned the hard way that I need to do more calculations, prior to that I never ran the numbers for protein.

And I have diabetes, have to eat a low carb diet. A lot of people can stop at a convenience store and buy a bunch of carbs and live off of that just fine for a week long trip. That would be a severe problem for me. That is why I can't do ACA trips, last ACA trip it took me two weeks after I got home to get my blood sugar under control. I average about 30 percent of my calories are from carbs, the standard USA diet is 45 to 65 percent of calories from carbs. Thus, my diet is a bit out of the norm.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-26-21, 11:52 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I understand preparing, and I do, but not over-thinking, using charts and spreadsheets. As for fads, and miracle products go, that is more a product of over-thinking than simply choosing good food and eating it. I am not interested in fad diets or miracle foods. The key in your last statement was, "a little forethought," not spreadsheets and endless over-thinking.
I think people geek out over different things. For example, I've never used a gear calculator in my life, 50 years of riding; I just get on the bike and pedal, similar to your point of just eating. Nor do I know what type of spokes any of my bikes has. Understanding the interplay of fuel, and how my body processes it does however interest me.

We eat food every day of our lives and depend on it for all our physical functions. Nothing wrong with wanting to understand that better. People here spend endless hours debating the interplay of various lubes on chains which has far less real world consequence.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 03-26-21, 01:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

.... Nor do I know what type of spokes any of my bikes has. ....
My gosh, how do you manage to stay upright???

Just joking. The only reason that I know most of my wheels have Wheelsmith DB-14 but the most recent bike has Sapim Race spokes is that I bought the spokes, along with the nipples, rims and hubs. Most people have no clue about the spokes either.

Life is to short to eat bad.
Old 03-26-21, 02:38 PM
phughes

My last tour, I knew in advance that there would be about a week where I was in a food desert. But I think it was on day five or six when I found a grocery store that was not on any of my maps. Pleasant surprise.

When the sign says no fuel for your car for 205 km, you can pretty much bet that you will go a lot further than that before you find a well stocked grocery store.

Maybe my problem is that I love wilderness too much.

I agree that it is possible to over-think this stuff, thus I prefer to just put together my meal plan and then after that check calories and protein, then add in where I had shortages.

One trip when I got home, I had some physical issues, my Dr looked at the lab tests and bluntly said you need more protein. That was when I learned the hard way that I need to do more calculations, prior to that I never ran the numbers for protein.

And I have diabetes, have to eat a low carb diet. A lot of people can stop at a convenience store and buy a bunch of carbs and live off of that just fine for a week long trip. That would be a severe problem for me. That is why I can't do ACA trips, last ACA trip it took me two weeks after I got home to get my blood sugar under control. I average about 30 percent of my calories are from carbs, the standard USA diet is 45 to 65 percent of calories from carbs. Thus, my diet is a bit out of the norm.
Not being able to find food during the day, and wanting protein is why I always carry a jar of peanut butter. I also throw in some cans of tuna, or the like. I'm never caught without something to eat, and the peanut butter works well for me.

I like wilderness and out of the way places as well, but that comes with it's challenges for sure. Nothing beats riding in the middle of nowhere though.
Old 03-26-21, 03:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
People here spend endless hours debating the interplay of various lubes on chains which has far less real world consequence.
of the week.

P.S. NFS is the best lube for all chains. Period.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-26-21, 05:24 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
People here spend endless hours debating the interplay of various lubes on chains which has far less real world consequence.
Thanks for putting a wet sock on what was going to be my next topic for discussion.
Likes For robow:
Old 03-26-21, 08:15 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by robow
Thanks for putting a wet sock on what was going to be my next topic for discussion.
Not so, not so... What about a master thread that asks what the best food based lube would be, so that one could eat it if need be.

Canola comes to mind as a common go to, olive oil may be a bit more viscous, bacon grease will create some issues in bear country.
Old 03-27-21, 06:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Not so, not so... What about a master thread that asks what the best food based lube would be, so that one could eat it if need be.

Canola comes to mind as a common go to, olive oil may be a bit more viscous, bacon grease will create some issues in bear country.
If one needed to be trendy and hip, perhaps to match their cutting edge "kit", then the choice is clearly coconut oil. Semi-solid light machine oil-type that's tasty too.

I've always avoided coconut oil (in foods) though I'm beginning to rethink that...seems to be similar to white vinegar with widespread applications.
Old 03-27-21, 07:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

The local REI store, I have heard that a mechanic there used cooking oil chain lube, but some of the other mechanics did not like the smell of the rancid oil on his bike.
Old 03-27-21, 07:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
The local REI store, I have heard that a mechanic there used cooking oil chain lube, but some of the other mechanics did not like the smell of the rancid oil on his bike.
friends of mine decades ago tried that, and it ended up making a right gunky mess that got really stuck on.
I wouldn't advise it.
Old 03-27-21, 09:03 AM
Happy Feet

I like it when a plan comes together...
Old 03-27-21, 03:59 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
fishboat, can't believe you didn't recommend Omega 3 oil used liberally.
Btw, surprised this topic didn't derail sooner.
Old 03-27-21, 04:09 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
fishboat, can't believe you didn't recommend Omega 3 oil used liberally.
Btw, surprised this topic didn't derail sooner.
Omega 3 is so..last decade. Though it(in the form of fish oil) has been a lubricant or lampoil for a few centuries..
Old 03-27-21, 09:50 PM
Happy Feet

Speaking of derailling...

Here's the answer to the puzzle from post 121.

That's a lot of stockpiling and a reason why pre-planning for some trips is so important.
In Robert Falcon Scott's case, a polar explorer who's team perished from hunger, the error (among a number of them) was taking one too many men for his final push to the pole and not having enough food for that number to return. Primarily pemmican, hardtack and chocolate.

Old 03-28-21, 05:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

... team perished from hunger, the error (among a number of them) was taking one too many men for his final push to the pole and not having enough food for that number to return. Primarily ... ... chocolate.
Yeah, that can be a serious problem on a trip, insufficient coffee is another potential disaster.

In this case the red and green M&Ms were purchased at an after-christmas half price sale.
Old 03-28-21, 05:19 AM
djb

Yeah, that can be a serious problem on a trip, insufficient coffee is another potential disaster.
you said it, certainly a headache inducing disaster!

re those expeditions with planned food caches, talk about the intrepid mature of those people, where one mistake or any little issue would mean you're toast. Not unlike all the early shipping explorers, relatively uncharted seas, limited food and water supplies, and a storm or the doldrums sealing your fate....
Old 03-28-21, 09:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
you said it, certainly a headache inducing disaster!

re those expeditions with planned food caches, talk about the intrepid mature of those people, where one mistake or any little issue would mean you're toast. Not unlike all the early shipping explorers, relatively uncharted seas, limited food and water supplies, and a storm or the doldrums sealing your fate....
And almost a century ago when they did that sort of thing, that was pre-GPS in unmapped places. How do you find the caches again? You would have to bring a cartographer with you to figure that stuff out. Some of those places had very little precipitation, so maybe their foot prints would last for a long time but you certainly could not bank on that, especially in windy places. But at least those caches were likely to remain undisturbed in the Antarctic.

Celestial navigation was a very time consuming process if you were on land. And even then your calculated location could easily be off by enough distance to make finding a cache difficult if there were no good landmarks. But if it was perpetual day time, then you could only use the sun and not stars for navigation, that is if it was not overcast.
Old 03-28-21, 03:17 PM
djb

T, yup pretty scary just thinking about it.
Old 03-28-21, 10:18 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
In my last solo fastpacking trip I did about 700km in 5 days. I stopped at grocery stores and picked up simple, easy to eat foods

Knowing I was doing a lot of fat fuelled endurance / aerobic work, I focused on fat, protein, salt (hydration) and a small amount of carbs

Dense, highly nutritionous and ideally cheap foods are what I focus on

For this trip it meant a 1kg dried sausage, 500g chunk of aged cheddar, a 1kg loaf of fruit loaf and a jar of peanut butter. 3kg of food for the majority of that trip

Easy to eat, easy to store, minimal cleanup (rinse knife or spoon) and I'm happy eating those basic foods for a long time.
Old 03-28-21, 11:37 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
In my last solo fastpacking trip I did about 700km in 5 days. I stopped at grocery stores and picked up simple, easy to eat foods

Knowing I was doing a lot of fat fuelled endurance / aerobic work, I focused on fat, protein, salt (hydration) and a small amount of carbs

Dense, highly nutritionous and ideally cheap foods are what I focus on

For this trip it meant a 1kg dried sausage, 500g chunk of aged cheddar, a 1kg loaf of fruit loaf and a jar of peanut butter. 3kg of food for the majority of that trip

Easy to eat, easy to store, minimal cleanup (rinse knife or spoon) and I'm happy eating those basic foods for a long time.
Just to clarify,

You say you did 700km's in 5 days eating 200gm's of sausage, 100gm's of cheese, 200gm's of fruit bread and some peanut butter each day? That's roughly 1400 calories / day (excluding the peanut butter).
Old 03-29-21, 12:02 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Just to clarify,

You say you did 700km's in 5 days eating 200gm's of sausage, 100gm's of cheese, 200gm's of fruit bread and some peanut butter each day? That's roughly 1400 calories / day (excluding the peanut butter).
That was a non exclusive summary for the purposes of illustrating convenient and macronutrient dense food sources

I'm pretty sure I was eating about 3000-4000 calories a day during that trip.

Last edited by SapInMyBlood; 03-29-21 at 01:31 AM.
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 03-31-21, 08:27 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Just to clarify,

My last multi-day trip was around the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. 3 days, 300km, ~4100m of climbing total (2000-ish meters on day 2)

My Wahoo Roam claims I burned north of 5000 calories a day. Likely so.

I rode each day' ~100km fasted. Only ate supper and couldn't get more than a can of spam down.. maybe a couple of hard boiled eggs the 1st night. Roughly 1000 calories a day and all the water I could drink.

North of 15,000 calories burned while fasting, little more than 3000 calories consumed over 3 long hard days. I gained 3 pounds body weight. lol

My preferred food for rides is pemmican - you cannot beat the energy for the weight. I ate spam on this ride purely as a convenience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.