Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Albatross Bar Conversion?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-26-21, 09:04 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts

Thinking about doing this with the 81ish Schwinn Voyager I found the other day. I think it may even add value.

I can't tolerate the reach on vintage road bikes. So it's a pretty bike that I could ride, and if I choose to sell.....

Old 03-26-21, 10:02 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Albatross is a great bar. I’m playing around with the fit on this one, now with a riser stem and flipped bars. I had the stock stem before with the bars upright, but this new way feels like a better fit. The bike may be too big for me, but it’s a very versatile bar nevertheless.

Old 03-26-21, 10:28 PM
lajt

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Another vote for the albatross. I haven't ridden drop bars since I was a teen, and the flat bar on my hybrid started causing wrist pain. The albatross completely eliminated it. Then I got my son a vintage '80s Bridgestone RB-2 and didn't like the drop bars, so I got him one also and he loves it. It works really well for a fast bike that you want to ride on more upright.

Old 03-26-21, 10:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I've been thinking about swapping my Nitto albatross bar from my favorite hybrid to my Centurion Ironman, just for giggles.

I'm not sure the Ironman frame is big/long enough, tho'. The albatross bar is a good fit for my Univega Via Carisma, which is slightly large for me -- long top tube, and the swept bar makes it more comfy.

But I could put a longer stem on the Ironman, trim maybe an inch off the ends of the albatross bar, and see how it fits.

Mostly I like the idea of a stealth commuter/casual bike that weighs only 25 lbs instead of 30+ lbs.

Due to chronic neck pain (old injuries) getting worse and keeping me off the bike for a few months, this is starting to sound more appealing. At least for longer rides. I can still handle 60-90 minute continuous rides, but anything longer and I'm in the hurt zone. So I've done very few longer rides the past year. I kinda miss those, especially the group rides with friends, which tend to be at a leisurely enough pace that I don't really need a drop bar and aggressive position to keep pace.
Old 03-26-21, 11:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by lajt
Another vote for the albatross. I haven't ridden drop bars since I was a teen, and the flat bar on my hybrid started causing wrist pain. The albatross completely eliminated it. Then I got my son a vintage '80s Bridgestone RB-2 and didn't like the drop bars, so I got him one also and he loves it. It works really well for a fast bike that you want to ride on more upright.

Nice bike and I love swept handlebars. But that kickstand there is a horrible idea.
Old 03-27-21, 03:23 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
That voyageur is great looking, I've not been upset with any bike I've up Albatross.
I've found them nice for easy cruising, or pushing my hands up for more spirited riding.
Sunlite "elson roadster" handlebar is 99% identical in shape,chromed steel, and likely $25-$30 from your LBS
Old 03-27-21, 04:38 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I don’t care much for the tiller feel of bars with that much bend towards parallel to ride direction. Steering feels slow. I’ve come to like the upright bars with a 15 degree bend. Fairly quick steering and riding position being similar to riding the tops on drop bars.
Old 03-27-21, 07:47 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Excellent timing. I currently have my Super Course set up with Soma Oxford bars which are nearly identical to Albatross bars and I am trying to decide whether or not to go back to drops. If I could find a set of bars similar to Albatross bars that were about 2" or so wider, I would definitely go with those. I love the position but some more width would make them perfect.

Untitled by Andy Beichler, on Flickr

Last edited by beicster; 03-27-21 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 03-27-21, 08:27 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I tried these bars on different bikes. I did not like the feel, but they looked the vintage part. Needless to say, the bars are now hanging in the bike shed, never to be fitted again...

Old 03-27-21, 08:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
[QUOTE=canklecat;21987019]
Due to chronic neck pain (old injuries) getting worse and keeping me off the bike for a few months, this is starting to sound more appealing./QUOTE]

Years ago I slipped a disc in my neck, and couldn't ride bent over, nerve would pinch and my left arm would go numb, so I went upright.

Here's Bosco bars mounted on a '71 Raleigh International:

With a lot of PT I was able to go back to drop bars, but they're level with the saddle nowadays, and my stems are 3-4 cm shorter than BITD.
Old 03-28-21, 07:25 AM
StarBiker

On thing I have noticed in this thread. Nobody has flipped the bars down. They have them up.

I may do nothing and just move it along. Vintage road bikes are to unforgiving, and uncomfortable.
Old 03-28-21, 07:36 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
On thing I have noticed in this thread. Nobody has flipped the bars down. They have them up.
The first response to your thread has the bars flipped.

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Albatross is a great bar. I’m playing around with the fit on this one, now with a riser stem and flipped bars. I had the stock stem before with the bars upright, but this new way feels like a better fit. The bike may be too big for me, but it’s a very versatile bar nevertheless.

I may do nothing and just move it along. Vintage road bikes are to unforgiving, and uncomfortable.
Seems like it could be a fit issue, maybe try a larger or smaller frame. I would probably have thought the same thing, but after trying a few different bikes and adjusting stem hight & handlebar configuration, I love my '89 Voyageur.
Old 03-28-21, 11:13 AM
GamblerGORD53

The whole point of these comfort bars is to be somewhat upright. Plus they only really work with a 23.5" TT, and I'm just 5'8".
That Univega has a silly high stem to fit the upside down bar. I don't like doing that anyway, because it sucks when I turn the bike upside down to fix or clean it. I have been raising mine lately, far less pressure on my hands and neck.
Old 03-28-21, 11:36 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

If your seat is where it’s comfortable for your legs, then that bike is likely too big for you. You have bars with standard reach. You would likely be happier with a bike with a seat tube a couple cm shorter, and Soma Highway One short reach drop bars do a lot for comfort. This spring will be a good used bike market for sellers, so it’s not a bad time to move it along. Nice bike, btw.

I’m playing with the setup on my Univega because it’s currently my only fat-tired MTB, and it’s a frame I don’t see much; plus, it was a cheap pickup/overhaul and a fun project. But, I also have it listed for sale right now, as the fit feels like a losing battle. I understood that going in as the previous rider was 6” taller than I am.

Last edited by noobinsf; 03-28-21 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-21, 12:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I’m playing with the setup on my Univega because it’s currently my only fat-tired MTB, and it’s a frame I don’t see much; plus, it was a cheap pickup/overhaul and a fun project. But, I also have it listed for sale right now, as the fit feels like a losing battle. I understood that going in as the previous rider was 6” taller than I am.
?? I was thinking it's too SMALL and cramped. Looks like it has massive knee overlap.
Old 03-28-21, 12:36 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
?? I was thinking it's too SMALL and cramped. Looks like it has massive knee overlap.
I was concerned about that, but nope. It’s very stable at low speed, no knocked knees. Because of the long top tube, my baseline was overextended reach, and these bars help equalize that.

Last edited by noobinsf; 03-28-21 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-28-21, 12:40 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by thorstein
The first response to your thread has the bars flipped.

Seems like it could be a fit issue, maybe try a larger or smaller frame. I would probably have thought the same thing, but after trying a few different bikes and adjusting stem hight & handlebar configuration, I love my '89 Voyageur.
This was a thrift store find.

Most vintage roadies are way to big! I hate the reach!

I was fitted for a bike when I was the same size and height I am now, and I brought the bars back on that bike. An 85 Univega that was bought new for me. Don't remember the model.

I will continue on my F 700......

I walked in to my local dig spot this morning and somebody had an extra small 520 sitting outside. I had one of these that was also a thrift find that was to big. Made me think a trade for a few year old one. Yeah, sure......

Last edited by StarBiker; 03-28-21 at 12:50 PM.