Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Hand brakes for a fixie?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Hand brakes for a fixie?

Old 02-21-21, 12:22 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've never gone without, but for years I ran with only one on the front.

I've gone the last 8 years with two. Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers (bought cheaply) controlling Paul's Components Racer centerpull brakes ($$$). If only for the symmetry and the hand positions, I highly recommend two brakes.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 02-21-21, 12:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest
I would vote for brakes. At least front brakes, preferably front and rear brakes.
There are at least a few that rode without brakes who no longer vote.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-23-21, 01:45 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Having a brake opens up more territory for you too. Living in the mountains I would never be able to go some places without a brake. Or maybe I should say it would not be fun doing so. A seven mile decent controlling a rear wheel is just too much.
Likes For jfmckenna:
Old 03-26-21, 09:11 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like to have a front brake just in case. That is just for your own safety and the safety of others. If you crash with someone without any breaks, you will get into trouble here in the USA. I would not like to face any legal consequences. But that is just my opinion. Someone else may think something else.
Old 03-26-21, 10:47 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I just had a few days off work, rode over 200 miles in a wide range of conditions and never touched the brakes. Then this week, commuting only 2–3 miles each way, I've needed them twice because of the actions of other road users.
Old 03-26-21, 11:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by jfmckenna
Having a brake opens up more territory for you too. Living in the mountains I would never be able to go some places without a brake. Or maybe I should say it would not be fun doing so. A seven mile decent controlling a rear wheel is just too much.
The fun I've had in Portland more than a few times is flying past brakeless riders downhill. I ride downhill at close to geared bike speeds knowing that making the next corner or stopping at the light at the bottom is no big deal. And on Cycle Oregon, where I've brought multiple cogs, chainwhip and spanner, I've cruised very fast down glorious descents on gears like 42-12. Ear to ear grin fun.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-02-21, 09:21 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Ursula,

If you're new to single/fixed gear bikes I'd recommend brakes. There's a lot to learn right out of the gate just getting used to your feet being fixed to the wheel. Dealing with no brakes on top of that is no bueno if you ask me. If you're self conscious about putting brakes on your bike, don't. Heck, do what I did, I searched for some Shimano Dura Ace brakes and put hose on my first fixed gear. Not only do they brake well, they look cool too and are also a conversation piece.
Old 04-03-21, 09:08 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 87 Posts
Riding fixie on the road without brakes is beautifully simple in components and stimulatingly complex in how you manage your speed, direction and “alternates” should something unexpected happen. I keep one bike built up like this and ride it on occasion for the uniqueness of it...but every other post on this thread is correct...too many unexpected things happen to not have (at minimum) a really solid front brake for any kind of daily riding.
Old 04-03-21, 10:13 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
Ursula,

If you're new to single/fixed gear bikes I'd recommend brakes. There's a lot to learn right out of the gate just getting used to your feet being fixed to the wheel. Dealing with no brakes on top of that is no bueno if you ask me. If you're self conscious about putting brakes on your bike, don't. Heck, do what I did, I searched for some Shimano Dura Ace brakes and put hose on my first fixed gear. Not only do they brake well, they look cool too and are also a conversation piece.
Do you think the Dura Aces are worth the money? I am planning to upgrade my current front brake and looking for some options.
Old 04-03-21, 03:02 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
if you have to ask, you probably need them.
Old 04-03-21, 03:41 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

BikeEthics,

Do you think the Dura Aces are worth the money?
That's a challenging question to answer. Are they materially better than Ultegra's? Maybe not in braking performance, but the workmanship is better for sure. I love these brakes and they just make me smile when I look at them, so for me, they are worth every penny. I'm still looking for a pair of levers that are worthy of the calipers......

Last edited by drlogik; 04-03-21 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-03-21, 04:02 PM
79pmooney

BikeEthics,

That's a challenging question to answer. Are they materially better than Ultegra's? Maybe not in braking performance, but the workmanship is better for sure. I love these brakes and they just make me smile when I look at them, so for me, they are worth every penny.

I get the chills thinking you might have dropped handlebars. That you might like riding in the drops as much as I do. I know I could never get back to interrupter levers quickly from the drops going downhill. That starting the slow with my legs (the first reflex when I see (say) those brake lights ahead of me) means my weight is shifting forward and getting back to the brake levers will be harder and slower.

A fellow on a forum I used to attend described his bike with interrupters only and drop bars. Came on later to tell us he'd had a run-in at an intersection at the bottom of a hill with a heavy truck. He lived and would ride again, but it was not minor. I refrained from asking if he was in the drops when this happened.
Old 04-03-21, 07:18 PM
drlogik 

79pmooney,

I get the chills thinking you might have dropped handlebars.
They're bullhorns. I would never ride top-bar levers with drop bars. Ain't no way. Truth be told, as far as safety is concerned, this setup isn't all that "safe" either. In a true emergency stop situation, that extra split second to find the lever and apply the brake might be the difference between hitting something or being able to stop in time. I ride very cautiously on this bike. It's more my "neighborhood cruiser". My hands are usually on the rounded end of the bullhorn with the index finger on the brake lever.

I have a second Wabi (a Special) with drop bars and that bike has standard levers with Ultegra brakes. That's my go-to workout bike.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-03-21 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 07:38 PM
79pmooney

79pmooney,

They're bullhorns. I would never ride top-bar levers with drop bars. Ain't no way. Truth be told, as far as safety is concerned, this setup isn't all that "safe" either. In a true emergency stop situation, that extra split second to find the lever and apply the brake might be the difference between hitting something or being able to stop in time. I ride very cautiously on this bike. It's more my "neighborhood cruiser". My hands are usually on the rounded end of the bullhorn with the index finger on the brake lever.

I have a second Wabi (a Special) with drop bars and that bike has standard levers with Ultegra brakes. That's my go-to workout bike.

--
Good. Thanks for replying. I saw quite a few bullhorns and interrupters on Portland hipster bikes when fix gears were the thing and kept wondering how many crashes they didn't prevent. Kept my mouth shut because those who know they are immortal don't listen.
Old 04-04-21, 06:04 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
...I'm still looking for a pair of levers that are worthy of the calipers......
I have found that Barend/TT levers are ideal on my bullhorns - and there are plenty of nice ones...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 04-13-21, 02:22 PM
DKVelo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No brakes = velodrome or circus.
Roads, streets, hills, trails with people (especially children) = must have at least one on the front.
If you go with the drop bars, two brake hoods do give another place to rest your hands, as someone has pointed out.
Likes For DKVelo:
Old 04-21-21, 07:39 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeEthics
Do you think the Dura Aces are worth the money? I am planning to upgrade my current front brake and looking for some options.
drlogik nice Wabi, I run mine with Dura Ace brakes as well.

BikeEthics I run Dura-Ace on one Wabi and 6800 Ultegra on the other Wabi. I need 2mm extra of reach on the Ultegra bike which they're perfect for. The 9000 DA are prettier than the 6800 Ultegra IMO. They both function the exact same though.

OP: always good to run two brakes of some kind on the street. You might trust your abilities. Don't trust other people.

Last edited by sdimattia; 04-21-21 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 04-22-21, 10:18 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
drlogik nice Wabi, I run mine with Dura Ace brakes as well.

BikeEthics I run Dura-Ace on one Wabi and 6800 Ultegra on the other Wabi. I need 2mm extra of reach on the Ultegra bike which they're perfect for. The 9000 DA are prettier than the 6800 Ultegra IMO. They both function the exact same though.

OP: always good to run two brakes of some kind on the street. You might trust your abilities. Don't trust other people.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-23-21, 05:03 PM
Roche

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
If you ride on roads, you should have brakes (at least on the front). 99% of the time, you won’t need it and you can slow yourself with the pedals for the full fixie vibe. For the other 1%....
I agree. I have a a front brake installed on my fixed gear bikes, and I usually don't need it. But when I do need it, I REALLY need it.
Old 04-26-21, 09:38 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roche
I agree. I have a a front brake installed on my fixed gear bikes, and I usually don't need it. But when I do need it, I REALLY need it.
I needed my front brake yesterday. I would have get hurt without it.
Old 04-30-21, 08:18 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
I was heading down a hill on a country road the other day when my chain came off. I was grateful to have brakes.
Old 04-30-21, 08:59 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 87 Posts
Anyone still remember when the chain would come off when we were kids with only a coaster brake and all you could do was grit your teeth, hop onto the top tube and drag your feet? A lot more gravel roads back then, I guess. Still....an experience like that once in awhile did us good....prepared us for married life...
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 04-30-21, 12:22 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Here's another argument in favour of brakes. I was out on a ride this afternoon when I spotted a wild hare on the edge of a field right next to the road: a splendid specimen , almost the size of a fox. Although I try never to use the brakes on a leisure ride, I instinctively braked hard and was rewarded by coming almost silently to a halt so close to the hare I could see every whisker. It locked eyes with me for a moment then turned and zig-zagged across a dusty field, with little puffs of dust coming up from its feet.

It's a bit niche, perhaps, but it made me glad I had brakes. It was the only time I used them in just over an hour's brisk and enjoyable ride on a mixture of roads, lanes, bridle paths, single track, and restricted byways.
Old 04-30-21, 02:21 PM
Dubinthedam

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Do your knees a favor, get a brake. You still get the full fixie feeling but you won't spend your retirement in a wheelchair!
Likes For Dubinthedam:
Old 05-03-21, 02:09 PM
matt_bz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubinthedam
Do your knees a favor, get a brake. You still get the full fixie feeling but you won't spend your retirement in a wheelchair!
^ this ^
Well, I guess it depends on everyone's knees, but even though I wasn't really using my brakes since I got into Fixed, if I was riding a lot on the streets with traffic my knees were killing me at night. I got my the same weak knees as my father, so it was expected.
If you're going to ride where there's no traffic, like the countryside or a bike path you should be fine