Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gravel Hookless tires for 303s or 303 firecrest

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 03:21 AM
krzysztof

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

After all this time since hookless rims where on market there is a still problem with tires/wheels manufactures to give nice statement or list of hookless tires that will work on specific rims.

I am trying to figure out what gravel tires 38-42 mm will work nicely on hookless ZIPP 303 (2021 "S" or "Firecrest) and I'm hitting a wall.

I have Maxxis Rambler Folding Tire TR EXO Dual (40-622) and and I have asked Maxxis if I can use them on 303 s or firecrest, here is an answer:
There’s no easy answer to your question. Due to imature rim regulation from ETRTO, every rim providers’ specifications could be altered. I’d suggest you inflate no more than maximum PSI speficied on the side of Rambler. And give it a few run on different surfaces. Then it should be safe.
How should I understand it? Is it OK or NOT?

I also have two paris of Specialized tires (Pathfinder Sport 700x38c and Pathfinder Pro 700x42c), I got two contradictory answers from Specialized (I have sent two request since after first one nobody answer for days and then both answer came):

1st answer:
Thank you for reaching out! Those tires can mount on hookless rims. The only tires that we do not recommend on hookless rims are the RapidAir Turbo tires. I hope this helps!
2nd answer:
Thank you for reaching out. Technically our tires are not compatible with any hookless rim. We can not recommend using them over safety concerns. I would suggest reaching out to Zipp and seeing what tires they recommend for their rims.

With typical road tires like 28 mm there is less problems, it is easy to find information what types of tires are not compatible and what are (I'm using Pirelli Zero 28mm without problems). But when it comes to wider tires (gravel sizes) there is a lot of confusion.

Do you now if mentioned Maxxis Rambler or Specialized Pathfinder can be used on hookless 303?
What types of gravel tires you are using for 303 (both "S" and "Firecrest")?

Last edited by krzysztof; 04-06-21 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 04:37 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I’ve used the Pathfinder Pro tyres 38 with 303s for several months without a problem - on a Diverge mix of gravel and road.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 04-06-21, 07:12 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Can't speak to the 303s, but I'm running 38mm Pathfinder Pros on hookless rims (Boyd Pinnacles), with no issues.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-06-21, 10:10 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
There are several staunch supporters of hookless rims that will usually resort to name calling and claiming you don't know what you are on about if you raise issue with hookless and such. Im Sure WhyFi or Seattle Forrest will pop in and recommend you a tyre that will be safe.
Old 04-06-21, 10:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
There are several staunch supporters of hookless rims that will usually resort to name calling and claiming you don't know what you are on about if you raise issue with hookless and such. Im Sure WhyFi or Seattle Forrest will pop in and recommend you a tyre that will be safe.
Hey look - a cloud for you to shake your fist at.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-06-21, 10:23 AM
WhyFi

I got 303Ss, but they're not on my gravel bike, so I haven't looked in to any gravel tires. What I would recommend is checking with the compatibility list for some of the ENVE hookless wheels of the same width (23 and 25mm) - they've been around longer and have individually tested more tires. In addition, I'd check with the makers that are known to be making compatible tires for the road: Zipp, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Schwalbe, Vittoria, etc.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-06-21, 10:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's a passive aggressive way to summon me. I don't think I've ever called you a name. I've pointed out incorrect statements you've made, that's a different thing.

I don't have advice for the OP, our version of "gravel" here is hard packed dirt roads with large embedded rocks. I use 33 mm of rubber for my gravel riding. OP wants something in the 38-42 mm range.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-06-21, 10:51 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sure, but all you did is deflect and return the ball. - As expected.

Sorry to be a luddite and not fall on my ass in awe of this amazing "technology". Im sure you and Seattle can find a list of compatible and safe gravel tyres to help out the OP, that might just might have bought into the whole TL/hookless thing on your advice.

EDIT: Sorry to be "passive aggressive" on top of it all .. Ill leave it up to you then...
Old 04-06-21, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

You seem really angry. Whatever is going on, I hope you feel better soon.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-06-21, 11:02 AM
WhyFi

Sorry to be a luddite and not fall on my ass in awe of this amazing "technology".
If you actually paid attention, you'd know that I'm often measured in my recommendations - no matter the emerging tech/trends, I accept that they're not for everyone and that needs/suitability will vary depending upon a host of factors. I just think it suspect that any mention of "hookless" draws you like a moth to a flame and with no agenda other than derision. IOW, the lady doth protest too much, me thinks.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-06-21, 11:06 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Just when I thought you only had friends on this forum!

For what it's worth, I do appreciate your friendly advices
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-06-21, 01:39 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'm not sold on hookless for the road (mainly due to pressure limitations), but I totally get the argument for off-road use, the rim is stronger and will stand up better to abuse. I know I've taken some really hard hits on my hookless wheels on the gravel bike and they were just fine, so I'll buy that.
Old 04-06-21, 08:15 PM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Gravelkings..... I just put them on my 303 FC. Ran them prior and they are awesome. The reviews are always great.
Old 04-06-21, 09:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by eduskator
Just when I thought you only had friends on this forum!

For what it's worth, I do appreciate your friendly advices
I don't know how anybody could confuse me and @WhyFi, he's friendly and helpful.
Old 04-07-21, 01:28 AM
krzysztof

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got 303Ss, but they're not on my gravel bike, so I haven't looked in to any gravel tires. What I would recommend is checking with the compatibility list for some of the ENVE hookless wheels of the same width (23 and 25mm) - they've been around longer and have individually tested more tires. In addition, I'd check with the makers that are known to be making compatible tires for the road: Zipp, Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, Schwalbe, Vittoria, etc.
Yes, I think you right. ENVE seems to keep nice list and/or explanations what tires should be used.

I'm just a little bit angry that other manufactures are not as clear as ENVE. So tires manufactures direct you to wheels manufactures (as quoted in the very first post) and... wheel manufactures direct you to tires manufactures as yesterday answer from ZIPP:

Thanks for your email.
Hookless rims are compatible with tubeless and tubeless ready tires unless the tire maker specifically prohibits hookless rims on their tires. Currently Continental and Hutchinson have clear warnings on their products that they shouldn’t be used with hookless rims.
If you have questions about a specific model, it's recommended that you confirm compatibility with the tire manufacturer.
Thanks again for contacting us!
At least I found that Maxxis Rambler was used in some test with hookless rims like Corima G30.5 and ENVE AG25 (not carbon but hookless) so it seems to be safe to install them on other hookless.
Likes For krzysztof:
Old 04-07-21, 01:02 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I use various types of Panaracer Gravelkings on a set of ENVE SES AR 4.5 wheels, which are hookless rims. These tires are on ENVE's approved list. Gravelkings are my favorite gravel tires anyway, I've used the slicks, SKs and SSs and they're all great tires. I'd give them a try.
Likes For Hiro11: