Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vittoria's new foam insert for road bikes with flat tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 09:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Thanks captain obvious, but ''most'' of us don't weigh 250lbs. To be considered fit at this weight, you would need to measure at least 7ft.
We weren’t talking about being fit, height, or what most people weigh, we were talking about your assertion that the insert feeling like 30psi isn’t bad. Put the goal post wherever you want it, but people weigh differently and will experience the feel of the insert in different ways because of it.
Old 04-04-21, 09:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm curious what all exists that is full Tubeless for road that can inflate without sealant. I took a look at Schwalbe, most everything it appears is Tubeless Easy, meaning sealant req'd.
I don’t know what all there is— as I said, I’ve lost track of the designated tubeless construction type designations, because as WhyFi notes, it’s irrelevant since I’m going to use sealant anyway— but I know IRC and Hutchinson both have airtight-lined tubeless tires.
Old 04-04-21, 10:01 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For some people, it's not - I guess that you're one of them. For others, though, tubeless is absolutely a huge quality of life improvement, eliminating, or at least greatly mitigating, a regular hassle associated with roadside flats. This is why hackles are sometimes raised when people like you pop in to a thread with the sole purpose of slinging ****.
When you resort to personal attacks you have lost the argument.
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-04-21, 10:22 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That’s it, that’s a winning strategy: “Nothing to see here, everyone! Ignore the stuff that might make your bike ride more enjoyable, and just use heavy, slow, tires like me. Stand with me, my fiends, on the side of a busy road in the rain and let’s fix our flats together with our bare hands and primitive tools!”

Lemme guess...does my reward for such existential deprivation earn reward in the afterlife? I know it’s not your place to say, but c’mon, man-to-man here, how many virgins do you think the Lord will grant me for sticking with innertubes?
Butthurt much? ;-)

Seems to me all these supposed developments are in reality piss poor workarounds to the basic issue that is to develop a truly light weight and light rolling clincher tyre that doesn't puncture. However lots of good tyres out there, and, Imo, the tales of tyres that in exchange for not flatting roll like molasses and ride like a frozen garden hose are HIGHLY exaggerated to begin with. The difference is minimal. I bet most wouldn't even notice. I dont.
Old 04-04-21, 10:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by popeye
Nah. It’s when all they can offer is a trite shibboleth that you know they never had any intention of intellectual honesty.
Old 04-04-21, 10:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I bet most wouldn't even notice. I dont.
Crux and failure point.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-04-21, 10:35 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sure, but at this point the faff
This is where I stopped reading.
Old 04-04-21, 10:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Lol - a personal attack is when you're denigrating someone's intelligence, ability or other characteristics intrinsic to who they are. Making an observation of someone's actions is not a personal attack.

Having little/no practical experience, and zero interest, in a given subject and then repeatedly going out of your way to distract/rile up those that do, is textbook trolling.

"Personal attack..."
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-04-21, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Seems like if you wait till you have a flat that you've waited too long. <grin>
Old 04-04-21, 10:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

What argument? We're talking about a new technology that's available to us and has been in use in pro racing for years. It's a cool thing that might make our hobby safer and more enjoyable.

Somehow you and Danny Boy have some bizarre need to turn that into an argument.
Old 04-04-21, 10:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Butthurt much? ;-)

Seems to me all these supposed developments are in reality piss poor workarounds to the basic issue that is to develop a truly light weight and light rolling clincher tyre that doesn't puncture. However lots of good tyres out there, and, Imo, the tales of tyres that in exchange for not flatting roll like molasses and ride like a frozen garden hose are HIGHLY exaggerated to begin with. The difference is minimal. I bet most wouldn't even notice. I dont.
If it seems that way to you, then ride that way. 🙂

Why is it threatening that other people are enjoying cool new stuff? It really doesn't affect you, but most of the posts I've ever seen from you are going into a thread where people are talking about something you don't like, so you pee in the cheerios.

When I see or hear about other people riding, it makes me happy.
Old 04-04-21, 11:15 AM
popeye

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Somehow you and Danny Boy have some bizarre need to turn that into an argument.
Let's count the number of times you have objected in this topic compared to Dan and myself and there you go again calling names. Stop projecting.
Old 04-04-21, 11:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Ideal for commuters, I would imagine.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-04-21, 12:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t know what all there is— as I said, I’ve lost track of the designated tubeless construction type designations, because as WhyFi notes, it’s irrelevant since I’m going to use sealant anyway— but I know IRC and Hutchinson both have airtight-lined tubeless tires.
Ok thanks.
I'm thinking along the lines of the following:
1. General advice has been to stick with tubes if you don't have issues with flats. I presume this is more specific to puncture flats (eg. thorns, glass, etc from road debris)?
2. However, if you want to run lower pressures (for example for some type 1/2 gravel riding), but don't puncture flat, you still want to avoid pinch flats. Hence TL then becomes advisable.
3. So if you're not concerned with puncture flats, and want to run TL and some lower pressures, why bother with the sealant? As much as you'd flat with tubes, you'd flat with this setup, and you could still carry a tube for the rare flat? The Vittoria thing adds a modicum of backup that could allow you get home to deal with cleanly. EDIT -- I just noticed that the AirLiner doesn't come any wider than for 30mm tires.
and/or
4. If you perhaps are also a rider that bought one of those 'all road' bikes (Caledonia etc), you might have a separate gravel/wide setup wheelset for infrequent rides of that type, that if you infrequently use, you don't have to concern yourself for longer period of time storage with installed sealant. Or you don't have a separate wheelset, and want to somewhat frequently swap between road and gravel tires on your rims (eg. 25s to 35s) -- I understand an inconvenient proposition if sealant is involved.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 04-04-21 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 12:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok thanks.
I'm thinking along the lines of the following:
1. General advice has been to stick with tubes if you don't have issues with flats. I presume this is more specific to puncture flats (eg. thorns, glass, etc from road debris)?
2. However, if you want to run lower pressures (for example for some type 1/2 gravel riding), but don't puncture flat, you still want to avoid pinch flats. Hence TL then becomes advisable.
3. So if you're not concerned with puncture flats, and want to run TL and some lower pressures, why bother with the sealant? As much as you'd flat with tubes, you'd flat with this setup, and you could still carry a tube for the rare flat? The Vittoria thing adds a modicum of backup that could allow you get home to deal with cleanly.
and/or
4. If you perhaps are also a rider that bought one of those 'all road' bikes (Caledonia etc), you might have a separate gravel/wide setup wheelset for infrequent rides of that type, that if you infrequently use, you don't have to concern yourself for longer period of time storage with installed sealant. Or you don't have a separate wheelset, and want to somewhat frequently swap between road and gravel tires on your rims (eg. 25s to 35s) -- I understand an inconvenient proposition if sealant is involved.
That’s the cool thing about this period in time: options! We’ve got access to more wheel setup options than ever before, allowing us to not only fine-tune the ride quality, but also to finely manage risk. New tube types like Aerothan, Tubolito and Revoloop should be considered for someone considering to run tubeless without sealant, because they offer enhanced puncture and pinch resistance compared to butyl or latex, better accommodating low pressures and allowing roadside serviceability for continued normal riding in a way Airliner does not.
Old 04-04-21, 03:08 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
My wheels are tubeless ready, but I wasn’t going to make the switch, since there is the small hassle of topping up sealant, and carrying tubes & levers anyway. My rides typically are 56 miles or less 4 times a week, so I’m never further than 28 miles from my home/car at most.

If my lbs recommends, I’ll try these next time around, I think. And ditch the related supplies.

I think it’s pretty cool. And while I ride fairly fast, it wouldn’t bother me a bit to keep my speeds down on the rare occasion the sealant failed to stop the puncture.
Old 04-04-21, 10:16 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I absolutely want these, where can I order!?
Old 04-05-21, 05:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Should be fairly obvious. Its a limp home system rather than race down steep hills on a flat system, like they make it appear at GCN. - And the price, I dunno, but combined with a TL tyre, that is already more expensive than clinchers, and sealant it does add up, especially if we are meant to replace the inserts at a yearly interval, at $40 per insert. Im sure lots couldn't care less, but the fear of flats and ppl insisting riding race day tyres, all the time, sure does drive a lot of business.

Me, I just put on a more robust clincher and ride. Haven't had a flat for ages and when I finally do, I pop in an new tube and be on my way in less time than I took to write this post :-) No special tools, other than my hands, a tyre lever and a basic pump is needed either.

Call me a luddite all you want, but this simply doesn't feel like real progress unlike SIS, hydraulic brakes, DI2, .. etc.
The only thing that is fairly obvious is your double talk.
You denounced an effective new technology mostly because of its cost yet later on you laud hydraulic brakes and DIY.
Yeah... they aren’t costly
Old 04-06-21, 01:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I see they have one size for 25C tires on a 21mm (inside) rim, and another for 28C tires on a 23mm rim. I wonder how specific this is, and if either will work acceptably with a 28C tire on a 21mm rim...
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 04-07-21, 12:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Let's count the number of times you have objected in this topic compared to Dan and myself and there you go again calling names. Stop projecting.
​​​​​​Let's ask why you feel a need to object to other people being happy in the first place.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-07-21, 05:55 PM
popeye

I'm sorry if someone having a different opinion than you makes you unhappy. I'm done.