Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 cannondale synapse vs 2018?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 11:32 AM
Arson42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am very curious and can’t seem to find much on the difference I want to get a synapse but not sure if the 2018 or newer is just that much better than the 2016 version? If anyone has any information on this that would be great.
Old 04-08-21, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
When you go to a shop and look for a Cannondale Synapse or any other model of bike, you will find they'll have them configured at all different price points because they have all different levels of components on them. Some might be 8 speed with cheaper wheels and things. Others might be 11 speed DuraAce or whatever SRAMS best road group is. And a much better wheelset. Along with other things. So there is more to comparing a 2016 Synapse with a 2018 Synapse than just year of manufacture.

Frame geometries might have changed between the two, but whether that's bad or good depends on what you want. In pictures they look pretty much the same.

Go with the prettier paint job, the better component group, the one that everything works without needing repair, and above all the one that fits.
Old 04-08-21, 09:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Arson42
I am very curious and can’t seem to find much on the difference I want to get a synapse but not sure if the 2018 or newer is just that much better than the 2016 version? If anyone has any information on this that would be great.
Depends on what you mean by "better."
Old 04-09-21, 07:19 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
The difference is 2.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 04-09-21, 11:36 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Frame geometries might have changed between the two, but whether that's bad or good depends on what you want. In pictures they look pretty much the same.
I bought a Synapse Carbon in April 2017, right before the model was introduced. There are slight differences in geometry.

2013-2016
https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/f...bon_en_low.pdf

2017-2020
https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/f...1%20134911.pdf

Comparing the older and the newer models of the regular Synapse (i.e., not the Hi-Mod version), the newer model no longer has the power pyramid, where the bottom of the seat tube splits into two tubes which connect respectively to the left and right sides of the bottom bracket. In the newer model, this feature is reserved for the Hi-Mod version.