Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 11:59 AM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Uhm, no it's based on internationally accepted intellectual property laws.

LOL. Care to point me to the text of these laws? Who enforces them? The shadow world government that has authority over all countries? As pointed out above, this is western-centric piety at its best. Don't try and disguise it with a (totally BS) legal argument.
Old 03-21-16, 12:13 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by rfmarotti
LOL. Care to point me to the text of these laws? Who enforces them? The shadow world government that has authority over all countries? As pointed out above, this is western-centric piety at its best. Don't try and disguise it with a (totally BS) legal argument.
It's my understanding (I'm not a lawyer) that all countries that are part of the Berne Union (as are the US and China) are legally obligated to respect each other's copyrights. Therefore, if Pinarello feels someone has misappropriated their copyright, they can sue them in the local court of the offender and have the backing of numerous international treaties. So the local government of every country that signed the treaty should be enforcing it. Just because China doesn't choose to (unless pushed on individual offenses - and even then only when it can't get out of it), doesn't mean that it hasn't signed an agreement saying it will respect and enforce any US copyrights that its citizens violate.

Old 03-21-16, 12:28 PM
dcsix

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SRAM Rival, 2008 LeMond Victoire Dura Ace, 1994 Santana Sovereign Tandem, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shimano Deore, 1975 Raleigh Super Course Mark II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, there's this from late last year...and what's with all the "Western Centric" talk? Are we not "Western"?

Nov 16 Luxury outerwear maker Moncler said on Monday it had won a legal battle against a Chinese company that produced and sold down jackets with the Italian group's logo, as Beijing cracks down on counterfeits.

Moncler, whose luxury down jackets can sell for up to $2,000, said it had been awarded 420,000 euros in damages by an intellectual property court in Beijing.
"This is ... believed to be the first judgment under China's new trademark law to grant maximum statutory damages," the company said in a note.
In December 2014 Moncler sued local company Beijing Nuoyakate Gourmet after discovering it sold jackets with counterfeit Moncler logos and had tried to register several fake trademarks and domain names in China and elsewhere.
China has been trying to shake off a reputation for widespread pirated and counterfeit goods, long a major headache for global brands targeting the Chinese market.
Earlier this month China said it would use cloud computing, big data and tighter rules on user identity to fight online sales of fake goods. (Reporting by Valentina Za; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Italy's Moncler wins trademark lawsuit as China fights counterfeiters | Reuters
Old 03-21-16, 02:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts

You're showing your ignorance. There's a whole body of intellectual property laws that protect people's trademarks and copyrights. These laws are in place for a reason. They allow people to profit from their labor,capitol, and innovation. If you invest, in developing a product, risk your time and money, and then anyone can steal it, and take your profits there's no incentive to make investments.

The work it took to design, engineer, and produce the original Pinarello didn't just magically happen. Without protection for intellectual property, you would have dramatically lower economic wealth for all involved. So you can thank the intellectual property laws for supporting a system of trade, investment, innovation, that is in part responsible for all the technological improvements we have in a wide array of products, including the fancy bikes we ride.

Its unfortunate that a generation that grew up pirating music on the internet doesn't understand this.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-21-16, 02:11 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

And BTW, the Chinarello people clearly understand that what they are doing is illegal. They don't picture the Pinarello logo or decals in their ads, make vague references to it, and then add the decals. If this was all ok, they'd picture the bikes complete with the Pinarello labels.
Old 03-21-16, 02:13 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're showing your ignorance. There's a whole body of intellectual property laws that protect people's trademarks and copyrights. These laws are in place for a reason. They allow people to profit from their labor,capitol, and innovation. If you invest, in developing a product, risk your time and money, and then anyone can steal it, and take your profits there's no incentive to make investments.

The work it took to design, engineer, and produce the original Pinarello didn't just magically happen. Without protection for intellectual property, you would have dramatically lower economic wealth for all involved. So you can thank the intellectual property laws for supporting a system of trade, investment, innovation, that is in part responsible for all the technological improvements we have in a wide array of products, including the fancy bikes we ride.

Its unfortunate that a generation that grew up pirating music on the internet doesn't understand this.
I was LOLing at the "internationally accepted" bit. Not the existence of IP law as a concept or (country by country) reality.
Old 03-21-16, 04:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No one does know that. At least no one who posts here. And it is certainly possible. But is that what you are betting on? Seems like a long shot to me.
But I think you yourself even said that these replicas and the Honfus etc are "not at all the same thing" And the fact is, as you agree, that we really don't know this to be the case. I myself am not betting on anything in this race; I'm more of curious bystander on this topic. I just seem to get the impression, if it isn't being said outright, that people are maintaining that replicas are [by default] dangerous and low quality. Yet, it seems to me that the evidence for this conclusion is spotty.
Old 03-21-16, 04:30 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Setting ethics and legalities aside, my earlier caution was based on the following...

To the extent that a frame design has been optimized for strength-to-weight, there is a stronger contingency on the unique properties of the laminates used and their lay-up (orientation and fabrication). To simply match the outer dimensions of one frame using carbon composite in the absence of the original prints, is not to guarantee achieve the equal strength. This is fundamental to composite structures. I think that is all that can really be said. For frames coming out of the same factory as the genuine-article, there may be no such difference. For a frame coming off of any line other than that of the genuine-article is almost guaranteed to have different, and likely inferior structural properties all other things being equal.

Whether a given frame 'replica' has adequate strength is therefore not only the result of the pedigree of the manufacturer, but the extent to which the authentic frame has been optimized by its original designers - the extent to which safety margin exists for the use of sub-optimal materials and lay-up.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 03-21-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 04:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But I think you yourself even said that these replicas and the Honfus etc are "not at all the same thing" And the fact is, as you agree, that we really don't know this to be the case. I myself am not betting on anything in this race; I'm more of curious bystander on this topic. I just seem to get the impression, if it isn't being said outright, that people are maintaining that replicas are [by default] dangerous and low quality. Yet, it seems to me that the evidence for this conclusion is spotty.
I do not assert that replicas are dangerous and low quality. I say that a cheater and fraud can't be trusted to do it right. They may, but I am not betting on it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-21-16, 05:55 PM
himespau 

How much do the molds cost? Are they prohibitively expensive to the point where the only way a seller could make a profit would be in the same factory on the same molds as the genuine article or are they cheap enough that anyone who thought he/she could sell in volume could do it? I bet @Bob Dopolina would have an idea - and it's probably the latter case, but I don't know for certain.

Old 03-21-16, 08:28 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I think the OP needs the matching Ferrari........
Likes For garysol1:
Old 03-21-16, 11:36 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like it already assploded.

Seriously though I am one of the crowd that would be tempted to take up one of these frames for a project. If my current frame went caput, I'd probably consider a Chinese frame to transfer my components to. $500 for a cool high-end rep vs. a $1500 mid level frame may just be worth the experiment, especially considering all the reviews I've seen from those who've ridden them. Although there's definitely the issue of intellectual rights, it also seems that those opposing it the most really don't have any experience to back up their claims of such bikes assploding at 30mph.
Old 03-22-16, 04:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
How much do the molds cost? Are they prohibitively expensive to the point where the only way a seller could make a profit would be in the same factory on the same molds as the genuine article or are they cheap enough that anyone who thought he/she could sell in volume could do it? I bet @Bob Dopolina would have an idea - and it's probably the latter case, but I don't know for certain.
The mold isn't the issue. Even using the real brands' own molds, a fraud could easily downgrade the CF layup to make a crappy bike. You are mistaking how the bike looks for how well it can handle the stresses imposed on it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-22-16, 05:11 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I've seen a lot of fake people on high end name brand bikes.
That is true as well.
Old 03-22-16, 06:51 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The mold isn't the issue. Even using the real brands' own molds, a fraud could easily downgrade the CF layup to make a crappy bike. You are mistaking how the bike looks for how well it can handle the stresses imposed on it.
Sure they could. But so many people advertise that they're making the same frames on the same molds with the same folks just at night after the original contract has been fulfilled, and it's the same guys doing it, so that they have the expertise to do it right. I'm just wondering if that's necessarily true. If molds are so expensive that it's not worth making them unless you can sell a whole lot of frames like a name brand can, maybe that's true. If it's cheap enough to make molds that every Joe and Frank Alibaba can easily make their own set and press the 6 year old off the street into service laying down layers of carbon weave, I'd be less inclined to believe it.

Old 03-22-16, 07:06 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there any reason that the knockoff manufacturer did not take an authentic frame or for that matter just order parts for a frame and stress test them and then create layup, albeit probably heavier due to different layups, to achieve the same physical properties?

After all, they are in the composites business. Why wouldn't they do this? I am sure the molded piece for a frame tube, down tube or bottom bracket or any other component of the frame can be ordered so as to repair the genuine. article. They might not be hitting the same weight but the strength and stiffness could be met at a higher weight which it sounds like from measurements of weight and from ride quality seem to be the case.

In my own opinion, I wish all the lawyers types and rich guys who are putting down the guy who is only trying to afford this hobby in the best way they can would stop posting in these threads. I think there has been enough complaints about intellectual property and the illegal aspect of copyright infringement and what not. For all those who are angry someone else got a similar bike, granted not the same bike, for less, I too wish they would contain their jealousy. Living near NYC, you see in Manhattan all those knock offs of everything being sold. Online you find this too. To me, as long as the buyer is aware of what they are getting, it is between them and St. Peter and any lawman that catches up with them. As for the rest of the Chinese frames from good vendors , like Heng Fu, Workswell, etc., I wish them success in their business.

DO not think I wish anyone harm. To me, should a bike fail, the full letter of the law should be thrown at the manufacturer. As for failures, there are plenty of sites where even name brand bikes have failed.

I would leave it to the buyer and the reputation of the manufacturer to carry whether one should buy a particular frame. All the rest of this nonsense should be kept to oneself.

AS they say, if you have nothing nice to say, you should keep it to yourself.

OP, congrats on you bike. Post a photo or two when you can and continue to report on it now and in the future. This is the only way we can learn of its quality and performance.
Old 03-22-16, 07:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Uhm, no it's based on internationally accepted intellectual property laws.

It's illegal to make a fake pinarellos, or fake Tarmac.

Regardless of the morality of suppoorting people who are breaking the law, and undercutting the people who made the investment to develop the product in the first place, they're not people with whom you want to do business.

Buying a fake Rolex is tacky, but at least when it breaks you don't face plant.
I have to agree with all of the above. Doing business with people who openly break the law is not a good thing.

But to each his or her own. I guess the appeal of being seen riding something that looks like a high end bike overwhelms common sense.

Happy riding.
Old 03-22-16, 07:39 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Setting ethics and legalities aside, my earlier caution was based on the following...

To the extent that a frame design has been optimized for strength-to-weight, there is a stronger contingency on the unique properties of the laminates used and their lay-up (orientation and fabrication). To simply match the outer dimensions of one frame using carbon composite in the absence of the original prints, is not to guarantee achieve the equal strength. This is fundamental to composite structures. I think that is all that can really be said. For frames coming out of the same factory as the genuine-article, there may be no such difference. For a frame coming off of any line other than that of the genuine-article is almost guaranteed to have different, and likely inferior structural properties all other things being equal.

Whether a given frame 'replica' has adequate strength is therefore not only the result of the pedigree of the manufacturer, but the extent to which the authentic frame has been optimized by its original designers - the extent to which safety margin exists for the use of sub-optimal materials and lay-up.
Manufacturers will have you believe that they have some super-secret layup that makes their bikes better than the competition, and to some degree they do.

They know exactly where to skimp on material for weight reductions while maintaining the structural integrity of the frame. They know exactly where to add more to make the bike stiff in the right places.

But these manipulations save grams, not pounds. A knockoff frame is built to look like a “real” frame, not perform like one, so they don’t need to save these grams or to stiffen these areas for a 12% stiffness gain.

These knockoff frame builders may not know the proprietary layup of the original (maybe they do), but it’s not like these guys don’t already know how carbon frames can be laid up to be strong enough.

It cracks me up to read people who act like name brand frames are produced in some state of the art facility with guys in lab coats supervising every step, while the cheap frames are made in some make-shift facility.

Carbon fiber isn’t some top secret, limited access material that you need a PhD to figure out. If you have access to the materials, the tools and a few workers who have done it for the name brands, you can make the exact parts as the name brands.
Old 03-22-16, 08:41 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Fly2High
Is there any reason that the knockoff manufacturer did not take an authentic frame or for that matter just order parts for a frame and stress test them and then create layup, albeit probably heavier due to different layups, to achieve the same physical properties?

After all, they are in the composites business. Why wouldn't they do this? I am sure the molded piece for a frame tube, down tube or bottom bracket or any other component of the frame can be ordered so as to repair the genuine. article. They might not be hitting the same weight but the strength and stiffness could be met at a higher weight which it sounds like from measurements of weight and from ride quality seem to be the case.

In my own opinion, I wish all the lawyers types and rich guys who are putting down the guy who is only trying to afford this hobby in the best way they can would stop posting in these threads. I think there has been enough complaints about intellectual property and the illegal aspect of copyright infringement and what not. For all those who are angry someone else got a similar bike, granted not the same bike, for less, I too wish they would contain their jealousy. Living near NYC, you see in Manhattan all those knock offs of everything being sold. Online you find this too. To me, as long as the buyer is aware of what they are getting, it is between them and St. Peter and any lawman that catches up with them. As for the rest of the Chinese frames from good vendors , like Heng Fu, Workswell, etc., I wish them success in their business.

DO not think I wish anyone harm. To me, should a bike fail, the full letter of the law should be thrown at the manufacturer. As for failures, there are plenty of sites where even name brand bikes have failed.

I would leave it to the buyer and the reputation of the manufacturer to carry whether one should buy a particular frame. All the rest of this nonsense should be kept to oneself.

AS they say, if you have nothing nice to say, you should keep it to yourself.

OP, congrats on you bike. Post a photo or two when you can and continue to report on it now and in the future. This is the only way we can learn of its quality and performance.
Several of us lawyer types are suggesting another alternative that is no way elitist: one of a number of well respected generic Asian frames. The point isn't you have to buy an expensive name brand, the point is it's risky to deal with black market counterfeiters. So why not forgo the fake decals and get a more trustworthy frame for the same price?
Old 03-22-16, 09:00 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
This thread is shady and gross.
Old 03-22-16, 09:20 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
I've seen a lot of fake people on high end name brand bikes.
ha hah....I like that. While I would personally never buy a chinarello simply because I would not want to trust it with my life while bombing down a mountain at 50mph, it's your choice, your bike, your life. I'm a slow riding (compared to young, fit folk) 65yr old with a sweet SWorks Roubaix that is way above my pay grade so I just smile when young, fit riders pass me on some old piece of junk. I think the legality/morality is an interesting topic for another thread but would say that just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's immoral.
Old 03-22-16, 09:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Old 03-22-16, 09:42 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Manufacturers will have you believe that they have some super-secret layup that makes their bikes better than the competition, and to some degree they do.

They know exactly where to skimp on material for weight reductions while maintaining the structural integrity of the frame. They know exactly where to add more to make the bike stiff in the right places.

But these manipulations save grams, not pounds. A knockoff frame is built to look like a “real” frame, not perform like one, so they don’t need to save these grams or to stiffen these areas for a 12% stiffness gain.

These knockoff frame builders may not know the proprietary layup of the original (maybe they do), but it’s not like these guys don’t already know how carbon frames can be laid up to be strong enough.

It cracks me up to read people who act like name brand frames are produced in some state of the art facility with guys in lab coats supervising every step, while the cheap frames are made in some make-shift facility.

Carbon fiber isn’t some top secret, limited access material that you need a PhD to figure out. If you have access to the materials, the tools and a few workers who have done it for the name brands, you can make the exact parts as the name brands.
....but attenmtion to detail and quality-control can make a huge difference. The name-brands are also worried about liability- they have a lot to lose. The [what I call] 2nd-tier manufacturers (Hongfu, Dengfu, Workswell) have things pretty well figured out, and have built themselves a good reputation over time and are probably not far behind the big name-brands as far as attention to detail and quality control. The third-tier manufacturers- i.e. the counterfeits/no name Ebay and Alibaba stuff....those are the ones with virtually nothing to lose. They are untouchable as far as financial liability; and they don't care about or even have a reputation to protect. Those are the ones whose frames, when tested, are seen to contain voids in the lay-up, and other such major structural defects, simply because there is little or no attention to detail nor quality control. They're just making something that looks like something else, as cheaply as they can. As long as the product comes out looking the part, it's good to go. I mean let's face it, if they can not only screw-up BB threading, but also not catch (or don't care about) such a flaw...and ditto a worthless saddle bolt.....things which are exteranl and easy to catch and correct, how much confidence could one have that quality work was being done with the lay-up vs. incompetent/uncaring people just performing a task in a factory, which is considered acceptable as long as the finished product looks O-K on the outside?
Old 03-22-16, 09:52 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
You really think the "no-name" frames and the "fake" frames come from different places?

How many of these factories do you think there are?

From "Works-well"

2006: We join as a bicycle industry (OEM factory),began to product design, development and production of guidance.

2007:
Provide services for Bianchi......

2008:
Provide services for KHS......

2009:
Provide services for South Korean modern e-bike......

2006-2010
We used to Provide services for more than 100 companies....

2010 :
We began to invest to build our own factory,Began to ODM+OEM for many companies.

2013 The most interesting is in design and manufacturing of electric bicycles for Apple

2010-2013
We establish the ODM + OEM relation with five brands ,become their's China middlemen

From 2014
We started online promotion service, hope to grow up together with more clients

We can design your products according to your needs, we not only provide high quality and inexpensive products for you,also provides a powerful cooperation to rapid development for your brand

Welcome to cooperation, help your to save time , effort and money

Last edited by 69chevy; 03-22-16 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 10:38 AM
PixelPaul

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand the thought process of those who choose to buy and ride this counterfeit stuff. Road cycling by itself is inherently risky, but we all accept the risks in order to do something we enjoy. But why would one choose to add additional risks by using equipment of questionable quality and origins? Especially when the $1400 stated by the OP would buy a pretty nice bike from a reputable company? I don't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.