Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedals...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedals...

Old 09-16-19, 10:42 AM
Badbird2000

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Pedals...

So, hello all. I am the newest newbie here. Not new to cycling, but I have been out of the game a long time. I just put a deposit down on a used Litespeed at a local bike shop over the weekend. I sold my last bike (2003 LeMond Zurich) in about 2005. That bike had Time pedals, the only set of clip-in pedals I have used. Before that, my previous bike had toe clips. Yeah, i'm old...lol. So, the bike I am buying has pedals, but I don't have shoes. I'm not totally sure what kind of pedals they are. I will find out, obviously. So, I guess I am trying to brush up on the latest shoe and pedal technology. What do you like about what you have, what do you hate..

And if there is a better place to put this, please do. Or, slap me in the head and say, hey, go look here you big dummy.

Thanks!
Wayne
Old 09-16-19, 10:58 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I've found Shimano shoes and pedals the best all around for fit, durability, cost.
Mtn bike type easier to walk in, road type sleeker looking, both very easy to click in and out of

Try before you buy
Old 09-16-19, 11:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
There are two types of clips: SPD & SPD-SL. The first one is intented for ''all-around'' use while the other one is intended for road usage.

You will get mixed opinions here. For instance, some people will say they prefer SPD (referred as MTB above) over SPD-SL (referred as ROAD above) for road usage. What's important is that you know the difference between the two & know what you like most. If you're looking for an ''all-arounder'' pedal, I'd get the dual sided SPD ones that can be used clipped on one side and unclipped on the other side. They are a good option for someone who rides in the city (frequent stops) & likes to go climbing from time to time. The SPD-SLs aren't as versatile - they can only be used clipped, but offer better performance on the long runs / races.

I'd try both & see what I like most. The bike you purchased might already have pedals that you prefer. In that case, you'll only need shoes. If not, you can get pedals (SPD or SPD-SL) for roughly 50$. Shimano is proven to be reliable. I ride with them and never had any issues whatsoever.

Last edited by eduskator; 09-16-19 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-16-19, 11:08 AM
Badbird2000

Thanks! I had the SPD-SL's style on my LeMond before. I am familiar with them having to be flipped over the correct orientation before you can clip, and the panic at a slow speed and not being able to turn them over, lol...
Old 09-16-19, 11:09 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I used to ride with SIDI shoes, but as I aged, I found my toes and foot began to hurt on long rides. I found that my feet spread with age. SIDIs have a European toe box, which is somewhat narrow. I happened to own an old set of Specialized shoes and found that the toe box is wider to accommodate an American foot. I just switched to Specialized this year and like the light weight of the Torch model. Downside is, they are pricey.
As for pedals, I'd go with Look Keo or Shimano SPD SL, road pedals. When I decided to dump the old Look Delta Classic pedals, I went with Shimano SPD SL road. The reason I like Shimano or Look is they allow a wider degree of float which helps prevent knee fatigue and pain. I tried Shimano MTB type pedals with 2 bolt cleats, big mistake. They have very little float that led to serious knee pain for me.

Last edited by roccobike; 09-16-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 11:11 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
If your bike comes with pedals they are most likely platform pedals.

If you've already ridden clipless, you've overcome the biggest hurdle, which is fear of clipless.

First choice is type of clipless pedal. Second choice is shoe, which depends somewhat on your pedal choice, but generally can be used with the proper cleat with any type of pedal.
Old 09-16-19, 11:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
Thanks! I had the SPD-SL's style on my LeMond before. I am familiar with them having to be flipped over the correct orientation before you can clip, and the panic at a slow speed and not being able to turn them over, lol...
Yes - I do remember feeling a little stressed out when I started using my SPD-SLs, but you get used to it very quickly (after falling on the side at least once or twice of course).

If I were to ride a lot more in the city than I currently do (I ride 95% in the mountains - the 5% city is to get there lol), I'd use dual sided SPD ones for the convenience. Check out the Shimano PD-EH500 or the PD-A530.
Old 09-16-19, 11:15 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
The dual sided SPDs are def easier to clip into, and as mentioned, you can walk in the shoes. There are SPD shoes available that look like road shoes, I have the Fizik Terra X5s and they look like regular road shoes. Most people don't even know I'm on my gravel bike and wearing MTB shoes unless I point it out (when I have the road tires on, they usually notice the 40mm gravel tires lol).
Old 09-16-19, 11:20 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Just an FYI. The SPD pedals on your LeMond were probably the older Shimano design which was licenced from LOOK and is compatible with the older, LOOK Delta or Delta Classic pedals. The newer SPD SLs are lighter and easier to use, in my opinion, than the older design. The cleats are not compatible between those designs.
Old 09-16-19, 12:33 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I ride a 35 yo Peugeot that I bought new. It came with Lyotard pedals and Christophe toe cages and straps. Today, it still has those same cages, straps and pedals. What's not to like?
Jon
Old 09-16-19, 02:16 PM
Badbird2000

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure i'll be back shortly with more questions.
Old 09-16-19, 02:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Just an FYI. The SPD pedals on your LeMond were probably the older Shimano design which was licenced from LOOK and is compatible with the older, LOOK Delta or Delta Classic pedals. The newer SPD SLs are lighter and easier to use, in my opinion, than the older design. The cleats are not compatible between those designs.
According to the OP's first post, they were Time pedals
Old 09-16-19, 04:23 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Mine kind of hang in the correct position already when my shoe isn't in them, so clipping in is rarely problematic. I'm using the Ultegra 8800 SPD-SL pedals, but my previous Ultegra 6700 pedals were fine in this regard too. I've never been tempted away from this style of pedal on my road bike. One nice thing about the MTB style is you can get shoes that are easier to walk in if you find yourself in need of walking during a bike ride, but other than a couple times I was a couple miles from home and had a ride-ending mechanical and had to walk home, it's never been a problem. There are enough reasonable solutions to possible but improbable "what if" scenarios that my choice of pedals and shoes aren't directed by them.
Old 09-17-19, 05:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Get a pair of speedplays (zeros) if you want dedicated clipless. Entry from either side btw.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-17-19, 06:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Get a pair of speedplays (zeros) if you want dedicated clipless. Entry from either side btw.
I've been using Speedplay Zeros for around 15 yrs. I love them. They have been reliable and I am so damned lazy I rarely do maintenance on them. If you want to walk in your shoes I'd consider Speedplay Frogs. My GF is clip in challenged and after a variety of systems including SPD and Look, I convinced her to try Frogs and she is a happy cyclist.
Old 09-17-19, 11:12 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
If your bike comes with pedals they are most likely platform pedals.
Being that it is used, who knows? Either way, a bike shop should be able to toss in a pair of cheapo plastic platforms if needed to help get one riding right away.

@Badbird2000, personally, I like Look pedals. No gigantic reason except I've been riding them since High School. I tried Speedplays because they look super cool but didn't like how they clip in or the way the float feels. Unless you want "walkable" shoes, any road shoe will have the three bolt pattern that will fit road cleats so find the shoes you like and go from there. I suggest starting at the shop selling you the bike.
Old 09-17-19, 07:31 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Time still makes pedals. You can get Xpresso 2s for about $40 with cleats.
Old 09-18-19, 10:23 AM
Badbird2000

Originally Posted by Caliper
Being that it is used, who knows? Either way, a bike shop should be able to toss in a pair of cheapo plastic platforms if needed to help get one riding right away.

@Badbird2000, personally, I like Look pedals. No gigantic reason except I've been riding them since High School. I tried Speedplays because they look super cool but didn't like how they clip in or the way the float feels. Unless you want "walkable" shoes, any road shoe will have the three bolt pattern that will fit road cleats so find the shoes you like and go from there. I suggest starting at the shop selling you the bike.
Thank you. That seems to be the best idea, given when I pick the bike up I would like to hit the saddle as soon as possible. I'm doing a bit of research in case I don't like what comes on it. I can deal with it for awhile anyway.

Thank you every one!
Old 09-20-19, 12:09 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I stated with clipless Look 166 in the 1980s. They were a revelation over using leather strap and metal cages. I upgraded to better Looks when they became available. I sort of dealt with the cleat replacement (about 2 pair a year). In 1999 I bought some Speedplay X2's. I figured that the cost of them was less than I had paid for Look cleats at $15 a pair x 2 x the number of years I had used them. I still use X2 on both road bikes. Full float is fine but I also don't have knee issues. I use my SPD mountain pedals on one road bike where I know I will be walking sometimes. I don't feel any problems with out the X2 float and don't find any loss in "performance" over the road dedicated X2. So, for the OP, I would say go with some mountain bike SPD pedals and good shoes, Sidi, etc. You are not racing so the slightly more heavy SPDs will be not noticeable.
Old 09-20-19, 03:34 PM
RushFan2112

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using Ultegra (SPD-SL) pedals for years and love them. A riding buddy uses Speedplay Zeros and loves them. Another friend uses XTR (SPD) and loves them. I don't think any pedal system is better than any other, per se, but one might work better for you. Try multiple types if you can.
Old 09-20-19, 06:50 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
for me SPD-SL is much easier to clip in due to the sheer size of the cleat. with SPD, I would have to find the cleat first. Also the hard plastic interface of SPD-SL is way more stable compared to SPD, where the cleat is stabilized by soft rubbers form the shoe
Old 09-24-19, 10:13 AM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
I've been using Time pedals since 1993. Espresso models since 2015 (4, 6 and 10s). Sidi shoes since the mid 90s (I have narrow feet and they fit well)
Old 09-24-19, 11:20 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
FYI:

If you're in the market for new bike shoes, leftlanesports.com is having a one-day sale today (24-Sept) on everything on their site. It's 24% off their already discounted prices.

I purchased some fancy Vittoria shoes that I would never have considered at full price. With the discount, they were 74% off retail.

Road Shoes

MTB Shoes