Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Old 11-06-19, 01:15 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
C&V Tire Kickers on CL

Brief rant concerning CL which seems to be getting worse not better . Recently I decided to sell my Motobecane because it’s a tad larger than I can really be comfortable on . The bike rides wonderfully but it’s just on the cusp of too large so I list it and immediately get replies .. including all the usual nut jobs and low ballers . Then I get the tire kicker who effectively wasted an hour of my time in text messages , did decide to show and test ride then stand around for what boiled down to almost two hours at my home in the garage and ultimate decides not to buy and honestly I don’t think he intended to to begin with .

I don’t mind people inspecting bikes before they buy but don’t waste two hours of my time when I could be reading a book or looking for build parts online ...
Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 11-06-19, 01:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm... most of the sellers I talk to will talk my ear off.

There are, of course, those that just never reply back too.

You didn't mention what model of Motobecane, but I assume it has been at least tuned up. I'd anticipate than in the $100 range you'll get more buyers willing to just drop the cash and roll away.

In the $400 range, they'll be more interested in getting the perfect bike.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-06-19, 01:34 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by CliffordK

There are, of course, those that just never reply back too.

You didn't mention what model of Motobecane, but I assume it has been at least tuned up. I'd anticipate than in the $100 range you'll get more buyers willing to just drop the cash and roll away.

In the $400 range, they'll be more interested in getting the perfect bike.
Honestly doesn’t really matter if it’s a le champion or a nomade for the purposes of the discussion .. it doesn’t take two hours of my time for them decide if the bike is the right one for them ..

I buy multiple bikes a year and I’ve yet to occupy an hour of seller’s time jawing about the choice of tire the buyer opted for if they used a SRAM chain instead of a Shimano .. if I message a seller about that bike I’m interested , and if they can answer a couple of simple questions ( frame size being most important ) then I’ll arrange to meet and inspect and make an offer .

Chances are I’m going replace the components with those of my choosing anyway. So honestly I don’t care if the buyer used a 3T stem or a Nitto Pearl or why they used it ...

it’s my experience when someone starts asking why did you use that group instead of the other one they’re not serious ... if you’re worried about an all original bike then you’re not going to be interested in one with upgraded parts or even period correct custom parts..
Old 11-06-19, 01:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
You might be able to cut back on the lookie loos by providing as much detail as possible, including photos. When I'm browsing CL and other sites I'm less likely to ask the seller for info if he's already covered all the bases with written details and photos. With enough info the only question is whether I can afford it and "need" it.

When the ad doesn't provide much info but the bike interests me, I'm more likely to arrange to see the bike in person. That takes time for everyone.

Pricing is a craft too. As CliffordK noted, an asking price can significantly affect the types of prospective buyers you get and their expectations.

For example, I'm about to get rid of some photo darkroom gear I've been lugging around and storing for years. Some folks would just pitch it onto the curb. Others would ask way too much money. In my experience, asking too little or offering something for free results in mooches who expect full service and support, with calls, emails or texts asking for operating instructions, etc. If I list it as free or too cheaply, I'll get calls from high school students or absolute novices who couldn't afford to buy but will expect me to tutor them on darkroom basics. (And there was a time I'd have been willing to do that, but not at the moment.)

But if the item is priced just right, it's a clean transaction and you don't hear from them again. So even though I don't actually care about the money, I plan to ask a nominal price for the enlargers, etc., just to minimize problems.
Old 11-06-19, 01:43 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by canklecat
You might be able to cut back on the lookie loos by providing as much detail as possible, including photos. When I'm browsing CL and other sites I'm less likely to ask the seller for info if he's already covered all the bases with written details and photos. With enough info the only question is whether I can afford it and "need" it.

When the ad doesn't provide much info but the bike interests me, I'm more likely to arrange to see the bike in person. That takes time for everyone.

Pricing is a craft too. As CliffordK noted, an asking price can significantly affect the types of prospective buyers you get and their expectations.

For example, I'm about to get rid of some photo darkroom gear I've been lugging around and storing for years. Some folks would just pitch it onto the curb. Others would ask way too much money. In my experience, asking too little or offering something for free results in mooches who expect full service and support, with calls, emails or texts asking for operating instructions, etc. If I list it as free or too cheaply, I'll get calls from high school students or absolute novices who couldn't afford to buy but will expect me to tutor them on darkroom basics. (And there was a time I'd have been willing to do that, but not at the moment.)

But if the item is priced just right, it's a clean transaction and you don't hear from them again. So even though I don't actually care about the money, I plan to ask a nominal price for the enlargers, etc., just to minimize problems.

I put details and photos in my ads , you still end up getting people who will ask ... will a 56cm frame fit me ?

I’m to the point of someone messages me asking if a frame fits them or not .. I delete the message and go on ..

As for your darkroom equipment god speed on that . I actually gave mine away and still had people ask questions .
Old 11-06-19, 01:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sometimes tire kickers and time wasters are unavoidable. One of my cousins was married for awhile to a guy who seemed to delight in wasting the time of salesmen and anyone selling anything that grabbed his gnat-like attention.

I watched him put on an act of being interested in hot tubs, spas and saunas, wasting hours of sales people's time for something he had no intention of buying even if he could have afforded it.

He'd arrange for those demonstrations of home security systems where the salesman would provide a low cost dinner at a pasta restaurant. No intention of buying a home security system -- he didn't even own the house he was staying in. He was just there for the free dinner and to run his mouth.

He was the kind of guy a timeshare company would offer a refund to just to get him out of their hair.
Old 11-06-19, 01:54 PM
SamSpade1941 

@canklecat lots of truth there ..

I guess I’m wired different . If I’m serious about buying something I already did the home work and know everything I need to for the purchase to happen ..
Old 11-06-19, 02:33 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
if they can answer a couple of simple questions ( frame size being most important ) then I’ll arrange to meet and inspect and make an offer .

Chances are I’m going replace the components with those of my choosing anyway. So honestly I don’t care if the buyer used a 3T stem or a Nitto Pearl or why they used it ...
I put details and photos in my ads , you still end up getting people who will ask ... will a 56cm frame fit me ?

I’m to the point of someone messages me asking if a frame fits them or not .. I delete the message and go on ..
I never know what is too much or too little info to ask. I can guess the size close enough with the photo.

And, I could care less if a seller replaced the tires, they inevitably chose something cheap that I don't want anyway (so dry-rotted tires are just fine).

But there are different markets.

The market to those tinkerers that look at the bike as a pile of parts to be built up as one wishes.

And those who want the bike ready to ride.

And, of course those that can barely ride.

If you're selling a $2000 carbon fiber wonder-bike, and get a person writing that they're 5'6, will it fit.. then they're probably not the one. Nonetheless, if they have a pocket full of money, then why not.

On the other hand, if it is a $50 beater... grocery getter. The perfect fit may not matter, and you may snag a few newbies who just know it has 2 wheels.

The more you delete responses from interested buyers, the harder it is to sell for your asking price and terms.
Old 11-06-19, 02:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Two hours? That would take some effort from both parties to waste that much time discussing one bicycle.
Old 11-06-19, 02:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Brief rant concerning CL which seems to be getting worse not better . Recently I decided to sell my Motobecane because it’s a tad larger than I can really be comfortable on . The bike rides wonderfully but it’s just on the cusp of too large so I list it and immediately get replies .. including all the usual nut jobs and low ballers . Then I get the tire kicker who effectively wasted an hour of my time in text messages , did decide to show and test ride then stand around for what boiled down to almost two hours at my home in the garage and ultimate decides not to buy and honestly I don’t think he intended to to begin with .

I don’t mind people inspecting bikes before they buy but don’t waste two hours of my time when I could be reading a book or looking for build parts online ...
Sounds like you're a bit too polite. I have trouble telling people to leave as well.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-06-19, 02:58 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
I don't ever sell bicycles or other related stuff. I just don't need the money and as mentioned it can be a hassle dealing with nutjobs.
I simply donate the bicycles to Salvation Army, or Goodwill. Two valuable bicycles, I donated in the past to the boosters club of the high school and they auctioned one off and raffled the other one off. We just don't need the money and its incredibly annoying to have nutjobs visiting the residence, or having to meet them in a public place ( police-sheriff substation) and then have the folks be a complete no-show and no phone call explaining their decision to not show up. About 80% of people are probably great that you'll likely deal with, but then there are the 5% that are really weirdos who fall into the strange but true, livin in a van down by the river and cookin meth and illicit pharmaceutical sales. Overall about 15% of people are nice enough too but they either have no concept of time, or they have no consideration for the people that they are calling on. You see this with folks having YARD SALES saying it is going to be from 8AM to 1PM, well you'll get half a dozen people with cars in your driveway and in front of your home and neighbors home by 4:35 AM, and you'll certainly get someone honking their car horn or ringing your doorbell by 5:59AM as they want you to have the yard sale begin now. You think this isn't true but it is. The wealthier and more affluent the neighborhood is, the more you will get these Early Birds who want to swoop in an grab everything hours before the sale is to start, so they can avoid the competition from normal people. If that isn't irritating enough, you'll get the "stoner" crowd that will show up at your door at 5PM that afternoon looking for the garage sale.
You all can have all that mess.
I do have a friend in North Carolina that sells many bicycles as he is a flipper who re-habs them in his spare time. It helps that his wife's sister's husband owns one of the premier bike shops in the large city that is known for NASCAR and banking. As others have said, you've gotta provide details and lots of pictures and then time your sales for say the students returning to campus and also price them to move. Word of mouth gets around that so-and-so has excellent campus bikes for very little cost and the quality/reliability is good................so he sells the heck out of them very quickly, and then almost immediately with the next batch that he re-habs over the winter, or summer, etc.. He says he is good with minimizing the time wasters and serious nut jobs. It is more of a fun hobby for him.
Some bicycles, he will just place on Ebay and it probably is better for certain bicycles, he says because you have folks seeking something and they have no problem with the BIN (buy it now) and they realize that the Shipping Cost is a bargain compared to having to drive 6 hours across four states to buy and retrieve the bicycle that they are seeking. Both sides (buyer and seller) get some assurance with Paypal/ebay that they won't get a sharp stick in the eye.
Old 11-06-19, 03:20 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Two hours? That would take some effort from both parties to waste that much time discussing one bicycle.
Possibly ... I guess I enable it to happen because I’m willing to answer as many questions as they ask to some degree .
Old 11-06-19, 04:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
"OK, I gotta get going. Let me know if you'd like to come back and buy the bike. Good seeing you."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-06-19, 04:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
"OK, I gotta get going. Let me know if you'd like to come back and buy the bike. Good seeing you."
This - and if they start to become pushy about sticking about, drop the decorum and kick them out.

-Kurt

Old 11-06-19, 05:01 PM
CliffordK

Meet somewhere in a parking lot with temperatures hovering around 30°F?
Old 11-06-19, 05:15 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Maybe he was just lonely, and wanted someone to talk to.
Tim
Old 11-06-19, 05:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,956 Posts
You would love me then. I spent exactly 6 minutes at the seller of the Cannondale this past Sunday. Cash in her hand a few niceties and off I went!!!.
Old 11-06-19, 05:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
In the past I had trouble telling people to dump or get off the pot, however I no longer have that issue as my time is my time, and it is short to begin with. I do not entertain offers via email or text. In person only. I do not give specifics outside of what is in the listing, and my listings are complete. If someone does not take the time to read through a listing, I know they are not a serious buyer. Pricing is competitive, meaning, never top of the realistic range, but at the mid range. I list to sell.

Not there to hold the hand of the buyer, I am there to sell the item and it is priced and listed accordingly.
Old 11-06-19, 06:07 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Btw... Ever get around to tinkering with either of those two frames?
Old 11-06-19, 06:42 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house. For that matter don't put your home address into CL. Use the address of a shopping mall parking lot or your city police statio n.

AGAIN: Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-06-19, 06:51 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house. For that matter don't put your home address into CL. Use the address of a shopping mall parking lot or your city police statio n.

AGAIN: Never, ever, let a CL buyer come to your house.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
I don’t put my address in the ad’s. However I do screen people and can get a pretty good idea of whom I’m dealing with before arranging to meet or have them come to my home .

You can be robbed just as easily in the parking lot of the Safeway as you can in your front yard if they have intentions of stealing the bike .

my rule is no rides without cash or a valid photo id to hold while you test ride .
Old 11-06-19, 07:21 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

You're gonna love this story. I had a similar experience a while back. I list a bike on CL and get a response, a dude says he wants to see the bike. We set up a meeting and I show up at the agreed location and he does too. He looks at the bike and begins to tell me all about it. He has an impressive knowledge but this is beginning to take up my time. He then tells me he was never seriously interested in the bike, just wanted to see it and makes a really low ball offer. I refuse, load up the bike and leave. Sold that bike to someone else.
Fast forward a couple months. I have a really desirable Bridgestone MTB frame with nasty paint, but great XT components. So I strip it of components, then list the frame on CL. So who responds? You guessed it. My friend who wasted my time and low balled me on the earlier bike. This time he sends me one of those "Cash in hand, I can buy it now" responses. He's foaming at the mouth, I can tell. I ignore his e-mail. Next day, he sends another, reminding me we met (bad move) and we 'know each other' (got that right). I couple days later, I purposely sell the frame to another guy who was just as anxious to get it.
Then the moment of satisfaction. I send the low ****** and e-mail telling him "I'm sorry it's sold". Unless he's a moron he had to know he was one of the first to respond, but it didn't matter. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd sell him that frame. Dang that felt good.
Old 11-06-19, 07:33 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I've had guys like that. Usually they are looking at the competition. One guy came and squirmed the whole time and talked himself out of the deal. Ended up getting him to do ride and now we trade a lot. He's still a tight wad, lol. I've backed out of deals were the seller puts up too many firewalls. The trust needs to go both ways.
Old 11-06-19, 07:37 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by roccobike
You're gonna love this story. I had a similar experience a while back. I list a bike on CL and get a response, a dude says he wants to see the bike. We set up a meeting and I show up at the agreed location and he does too. He looks at the bike and begins to tell me all about it. He has an impressive knowledge but this is beginning to take up my time. He then tells me he was never seriously interested in the bike, just wanted to see it and makes a really low ball offer. I refuse, load up the bike and leave. Sold that bike to someone else.
Fast forward a couple months. I have a really desirable Bridgestone MTB frame with nasty paint, but great XT components. So I strip it of components, then list the frame on CL. So who responds? You guessed it. My friend who wasted my time and low balled me on the earlier bike. This time he sends me one of those "Cash in hand, I can buy it now" responses. He's foaming at the mouth, I can tell. I ignore his e-mail. Next day, he sends another, reminding me we met (bad move) and we 'know each other' (got that right). I couple days later, I purposely sell the frame to another guy who was just as anxious to get it.
Then the moment of satisfaction. I send the low ****** and e-mail telling him "I'm sorry it's sold". Unless he's a moron he had to know he was one of the first to respond, but it didn't matter. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd sell him that frame. Dang that felt good.
Gotta love Karma....
Old 11-06-19, 07:41 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by curbtender
I've had guys like that. Usually they are looking at the competition. One guy came and squirmed the whole time and talked himself out of the deal. Ended up getting him to do ride and now we trade a lot. He's still a tight wad, lol. I've backed out of deals were the seller puts up too many firewalls. The trust needs to go both ways.

I do a little trading with a guy I know that does the flipping thing, but usually he's trying to get the almost free deal so we dont trade a lot .

Most of my bikes that I sell are going to people wanting a bike to ride which is what I prefer. I really don't like dealing with collectors who think they are going to one up me. I give a fair deal but I am not making money at this just recouping what I put into the bike if the bike doesn't work out and fit me or is comfortable to ride.

The tire kicker that came the other night knew I was not budging on the price before he got there, I made it clear that I am not selling any bike with a set of Phil Wood wheels at fire sale prices. If I have to I will strip the frame and part it out .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.