Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did she do good?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Did she do good?

Old 09-09-20, 05:08 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Did she do good?

My sister bought this Monark for yard art. I think its way too good for that. What do you folks think?

Old 09-09-20, 05:13 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
My sister bought this Monark for yard art. I think its way too good for that. What do you folks think?

Way too nice for yard art!
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-09-20, 05:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
In that condition, I'd think too nice for a garden. I wouldn't want it but there's many out there that would. Go to The Cabe website for good info.
Old 09-09-20, 05:17 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
If you put that out as yard out in my neighborhood, it won't make it through one night. Not that my neighborhood is bad. But that's to be expected when you live 30 minutes from downtown Manhattan. If you do use it as yard art, make sure it's locked to something so they can't take it. And hide the chain or cable to get the full "yard art" effect. That'll really tick off anyone who attempts to make off with it. And make sure you have a Ring doorbell so you can get the theft attempt on video and have yourself a laugh.
Old 09-09-20, 05:26 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
If you put that out as yard out in my neighborhood, it won't make it through one night. Not that my neighborhood is bad. But that's to be expected when you live 30 minutes from downtown Manhattan. If you do use it as yard art, make sure it's locked to something so they can't take it. And hide the chain or cable to get the full "yard art" effect. That'll really tick off anyone who attempts to make off with it. And make sure you have a Ring doorbell so you can get the theft attempt on video and have yourself a laugh.
I think she has decided to keep it inside and look for another for outside. She would love to have some more info on it if anyone can help her out.
Old 09-09-20, 05:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
In a way, it's too nice to put out and let rust. On the other hand, it's handsome but I wouldn't want to ride it.

It's funny how the Swedes were inspired more by American bikes more than Europeans in those days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-09-20, 05:51 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
In a way, it's too nice to put out and let rust. On the other hand, it's handsome but I wouldn't want to ride it.

It's funny how the Swedes were inspired more by American bikes more than Europeans in those days.
I am not an expert in this area, however, I think this may be an American Monarch rather than the Swedish Monarch. You are also right that Sweden and Swedish manufactures had their eye on American style in the 50's and 60's. Look no further than the Volvo Amazon and P1800. And we American had an eye on their furniture. Interesting.

And it is way too nice for yard art. If someone stole it and rode it, then that would be better than sitting and rusting. I'm glad to hear that she is continuing to look for a yard art bike.
Old 09-09-20, 06:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
I think she has decided to keep it inside and look for another for outside. She would love to have some more info on it if anyone can help her out.
The Cabe should have the basic stats info, the only real info she needs imo is that she has you to make sure this is good to ride.

That thing is beautiful, a dedicated clean and polish will be fabulous.
Old 09-09-20, 06:13 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
That's a farmers market cruiser for a lady of a certain age, the basket will get filled with fresh flowers and the owner will refer to the bike as Princess Margaret (Monarch) much too nice for yard art.

Last edited by ryansu; 09-09-20 at 06:17 PM.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 09-09-20, 06:22 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Too nice for yard art. 👍 Heck, just that headlight alone is probably worth like 7 million dollars, or something. 🤔😁😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 09-09-20, 06:39 PM
MntnMan62

It's a Monark Silver King Roadster for girls made by Monark Battery Co., in Chicago, Illinois. The company was in existence between the early 1930's and the 1950's. It's made of aluminum alloy, hence why it's probably lasted so long. Here's a history of the company I was able to find online. It looks like the example your found looks better than the one in the picture from the museum. Who knows? Maybe the museum would love such a pristine example of this piece of history.

https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/...k-silver-king/
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-09-20, 06:40 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Put a 3 speed hub in it and ride, way too nice to let rust outside
Old 09-09-20, 06:56 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 722 Posts

Yeah some collector has to want that thing.
Old 09-09-20, 06:57 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
That is not yard art material! THIS is yard art material.........

Old 09-09-20, 08:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by MntnMan62
It's a Monark Silver King Roadster for girls made by Monark Battery Co., in Chicago, Illinois. The company was in existence between the early 1930's and the 1950's. It's made of aluminum alloy, hence why it's probably lasted so long. Here's a history of the company I was able to find online. It looks like the example your found looks better than the one in the picture from the museum. Who knows? Maybe the museum would love such a pristine example of this piece of history.

https://www.madeinchicagomuseum.com/...k-silver-king/
I saw that link too but I'd bet dimes to doughnuts that that women's frame isn't one. I think they slipped up with the pic. Silver Kings had large head tube lugs for the aluminum tubes, like the advertising following the pic. The OP can verify whether it's alu.
Old 09-09-20, 08:32 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by clubman
I saw that link too but I'd bet dimes to doughnuts that that women's frame isn't one. I think they slipped up with the pic. Silver Kings had large head tube lugs for the aluminum tubes, like the advertising following the pic. The OP can verify whether it's alu.
She said a magnet sticks to it so its steel. She is in Alabama and I am in Texas so I haven't seen it except in the pictures she sent. She is looking for a place to hang it in her house, she loves old strange decor and is starting a remodel soon. I told her she had to ride it at least once before she hangs it up. Thanks for the replies you made her day!
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 09-09-20, 09:34 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Hah, I guess I was too busy posting Indiana Jones memes to actually look at the bike. I just noticed that the stem is turned around backwards. For extra-funny mounting of that Wald basket...?
Old 09-09-20, 10:22 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by scarlson
Hah, I guess I was too busy posting Indiana Jones memes to actually look at the bike. I just noticed that the stem is turned around backwards. For extra-funny mounting of that Wald basket...?
It is backwards! Good eye. I wonder how that makes it handle?
Old 09-09-20, 10:38 PM
scarlson 

It is backwards! Good eye. I wonder how that makes it handle?
I bet there's not much difference. Not like if the fork were flipped around. It's just as if some really swept-back cruiser bars were installed with the stem facing forwards. Bigger tiller effect, like on a recumbent or laid-back chopper. On a cruiser like that, I bet it handles really stably no matter what you do.
Old 09-09-20, 11:34 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I like that it has the original dealers license sticker intact from 1962 which pretty much nails it as a early 60's Huffy US built Monarch. Not a good bike but a very nice piece of American art on a wall or in the yard.
Old 09-10-20, 12:25 AM
MntnMan62

Yes. I noticed the stem as well. But there's more. The metal thing that can only be described as the "fuel tank" located on the down tube is painted differently and is shorter than the one in the museum photo. The chain guard is also different in that the front of it on this bike is shorter than the one in the museum photo where it extnends further down. But I don't see any difference in size of the head tube between the two photos. That aspect looks the same to me. Who knows? I could not find another picture of the bike from a google search including the date. I guess we'll all have to wonder.
Old 09-10-20, 05:57 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Yours is likely a later model than the 50's model in the pic. Looks pretty original from here which is what collectors want. Might be a good flip depending on how much she paid and whether she likes it enough to keep it.
Old 09-10-20, 06:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Agreed, it doesn't appear to be aluminum but it is the USA Monark brand. Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the 1962 bicycle license, it may be 1958. That was reportedly the last year of manufacture by the original company. The head badge should state who manufactured it.
Old 09-10-20, 07:31 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Agreed, it doesn't appear to be aluminum but it is the USA Monark brand. Based on the serial number, in conjunction with the 1962 bicycle license, it may be 1958. That was reportedly the last year of manufacture by the original company. The head badge should state who manufactured it.
I was hoping T-Mar would chime in. I think the license sticker is something required by Cedar Rapids and not a dealer sticker, correct me if I am wrong. If so it could well be a 58. She would really like it to be a 57 model since she is too. She is tickled pink with it and although she won't ride it enough to amount to anything I'm pretty sure it won't be for sale for a long time. She paid a little more than typical yard sale price but I think she did good even if she did resell it someday.