Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help choosing first bike - Trek FX2, REI CTY 1.1, Poseidon X (or something else)?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which bike for commuting and exercising on paved trails?
Trek FX2 ($720)
50.00%
REI CTY 1.1 ($599)
0%
Poseidon X Flatbar ($650)
37.50%
Something else in the $700 range
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Help choosing first bike - Trek FX2, REI CTY 1.1, Poseidon X (or something else)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 06:53 AM
drwright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

So I have an oooold Schwinn Varsity that I got for cheap on craigslist years ago and fixed up, but it is super heavy and isn't very fun to ride, so I'm looking at getting a decently nice, new hybrid.

I have about a 1.5 mile commute to college and I'd like to start biking instead of driving. I'd also like to start biking for exercise around town on paved trails (the most I've biked in the past has been ~20 miles at at time). It seems like a hybrid bike would work well for me, so that's what I've been looking at. I think I've kind of narrowed it down to 3 bikes that I am interested in, and wanted to see if there is a clear winner on value or just overall quality.

1) Trek FX2 - $720 - seems to be a popular bike at this price point. Looks like a LBS has one in stock in my size. More expensive than the others but more well-known.

2) REI CTY 1.1 - $599 - Couldn't find a ton of reviews but seems to be a decent bike for the price. I might be able to get for less if I wait a month or two for their annual sale. Also has a 1 year return policy if I decide I don't like it. Parts seem fairly comparable to the Trek (except for mechanical vs hydraulic brakes on the Trek)?

3) Poseidon X Flatbar - $650 - This is a gravel bike but seems like it would be similar to the other two bikes for my needs? Parts seem comparable. I like that it does weigh a couple pounds less than the other two at 24lbs. The downside is that I would have to assemble it myself. I've done some straightforward bike repairs on the Schwinn and am decently handy, but would probably end up going to a LBS to at least have them tune it after I assembled it. Not sure how much that would cost.

4) Something else less than $700ish?

So, any recommendations between these three, or something else? Obviously choices are fairly limited with the current bike shortage.

Thanks!!
Dan
Old 03-19-21, 06:57 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
For your price range, a new bike is going to get you a bunch of crap. Id recommend patiently scouring the classifieds until you find a good deal on a well maintained used bike. A good sport touring commuter would also work well for you.

In the meantime I recommend reading up on bike fitting and educate yourself with terms such as stack, reach, top tube length, crank arm and stem sizes, foot placement and saddle adjustments to get the most out of your future ride.
Old 03-19-21, 06:59 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Whatever you have right now will serve as a baseline - whatever that may be. Try playing around with different saddle heights, angles, fore and aft positions. Get a feel for how short or long you think your stem should be. Keep your back straight and try to get low by bending your elbows a little. Figure out what sort of riding position works well for you and go from there.
Old 03-19-21, 07:03 AM
drwright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I know that value obviously goes up the more you spend, but are there really no good bikes for around $700ish? Why do you say everything around this price is crap? How much would I have to spend on a new bike to get something that is decent?

I've been looking at local classifieds on several different websites and apps and haven't seen anything. Seems like the used market (at least around me) has been suffering from the bike shortage. I'll keep looking, though.
Old 03-19-21, 07:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by drwright
I've been looking at local classifieds on several different websites and apps and haven't seen anything. Seems like the used market (at least around me) has been suffering from the bike shortage. I'll keep looking, though.
Where are you located (general city, state), and how tall are you? Proportionally longer legs or torso, or standard?
Old 03-19-21, 07:09 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

A $700 bike is better than no bike. It will be as good as the rider riding it.

A used bike will be of far better value and potentially significantly improved performance at a price range which leaves you for room to upgrade or spend on maintenance. If you are patient enough to find what you're looking for.

If you feel like you want to go new, stay away from suspension forks in your price range as if they are the plague and you'll be happy.
Old 03-19-21, 07:14 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

3) Poseidon X Flatbar - $650 - This is a gravel bike but seems like it would be similar to the other two bikes for my needs? Parts seem comparable. I like that it does weigh a couple pounds less than the other two at 24lbs. The downside is that I would have to assemble it myself. I've done some straightforward bike repairs on the Schwinn and am decently handy, but would probably end up going to a LBS to at least have them tune it after I assembled it. Not sure how much that would cost.

Dan
Hey, Dan. ^ this is your best bet. Assembly is straightforward, and there are plenty of YouTube videos to guide you through it. Better bike, better set up. I would not hesitate. Phil
Old 03-19-21, 07:17 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Something new like that Trek gets you the new-bike warranty and free tuneups from your local shop (or whatever their policy there offers).

Bikes can be found all over; some even get them from dumpsters. Don't buy someone else's problems.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-19-21, 07:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Both the Trek and the REI are nice bikes at reasonable prices. The mechanical discs on the REI may be easier to maintain for a novice mechanic and would be my choice. I would rule out the mail order bike, there's no reason to not get a proper in person fit. You can't go wrong with the REI or Trek!Edit- just looked at the Poseidon and agree with Phil that it is more bike for the money.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 03-19-21 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 07:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Why do you say everything around this price is crap? .
There is no requirement here that the poster knows what they are talking about.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-19-21, 07:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
The Co-Op CTY is a very cool bike and would effectively be the same as the other options, namely being a pleasure to ride and ready to carry you beyond the commute into more recreational riding. It also costs a couple hundred less, money you can put toward the other items you’ll want as you start cycling more, apparel like
helmets, gloves, shorts and shoes, and equipment like water bottle cages, lights, a lock, bags, tools, emergency repair kit, and so on.

I’m a big fan of REI bikes in general. They’ve been way ahead of the trends for years, and spec the bikes well and smartly. I’ve got a 15 year old road geometey, disc equipped Novara that was a gravel bike before those two words were even a thing let alone a category, and I’ve got a 24” wheeled, 9sp, rigid fork, disc brake urban bike for my son. Both are great, and mine is so competent and sporty that it’s one of my most favorite bikes.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-19-21, 07:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
None of the above if it were me. I have never found a flat bar comfortable. Admittedly I haven't made much of an effort toward that.

Since much of your riding will be less than 20 miles and likely getting to and from class, then get a cruiser style bike. IMO, much better for slow rides in traffic where you might have to stop and put your feet down suddenly. And you can do that from the saddle on the ones with more slanted seat tubes putting the bb further forward. Also you'll have a more upright position on a big cushy saddle. And handle bars that put your hands and wrists in a better position.

Fenders on most, cargo racks if you desire them.

649.99 USD 9 speed https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...Code=greendark

649.99 USD 7 speed internal gear hub. More trouble free shifting. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

499.99 USD 7 speed https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Old 03-19-21, 08:22 AM
drwright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Where are you located (general city, state), and how tall are you? Proportionally longer legs or torso, or standard?
NE Indiana, 5’6” with probably shorter legs.
Old 03-19-21, 08:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

It seems that the OP doesn’t know what kind of riding they really want to get into at this point, and so both the geometry and spec on the Co-Op suggest more versatility than the Poseidon.

The Co-Op is longer overall, offering more reach for comfort and fit adjustment, and it looks like more chainstay length— Poseidon don’t publish the measurement, which is strange— which can offer both enhanced comfort for some types of riding or heel clearance if a rack and panniers were to be mounted.

I also think the additional gears on the Co-Op, with its 3x8 drivetrain, is more flexible than the 1x10 on the Poseidon, particularly for a utility bike, the extended gearing range is also great for varied surfaces and terrain, so if the OP wanted to do some trail exploration or finds themself bundled up for a cold, windy, winter commute on snowy roads, the likelihood of having the right gears for the ride is there.

Neither of those things are deal-breakers one way or the other, as I mean we can pretty much ride most any bike anywhere we might go, but when it comes
to versatility and utility, and the unknowns of a new cyclist discovering what kind of riding they’ll love, the advantage goes to the Co-Op as I call it.
Old 03-19-21, 08:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Iride01
None of the above if it were me. I have never found a flat bar comfortable. Admittedly I haven't made much of an effort toward that.
Flat bars pretty much made MTBs the most popular and important bikes on the planet.
Old 03-19-21, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by chaadster
Flat bars pretty much made MTBs the most popular and important bikes on the planet.
I understand the why for flat bars for certain types of mountain biking. But not for simply riding around town or campus.
Old 03-19-21, 09:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I understand the why for flat bars for certain types of mountain biking. But not for simply riding around town or campus.
Sure, but the vast majority of MTBs have always been used in towns and on campuses, key uses that make the style the most and consequential on the planet. They’re not the right bike for you and many other people, but riding posture, comfort, versatility and ease-of-use of the MTB is the central element of its success.
Old 03-19-21, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Sure, but the vast majority of MTBs have always been used in towns and on campuses, key uses that make the style the most and consequential on the planet. They’re not the right bike for you and many other people, but riding posture, comfort, versatility and ease-of-use of the MTB is the central element of its success.
I agree, my apologies for getting you riled up about it.

Do I need to keep quiet so no one knows my opinion?
Old 03-19-21, 09:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I agree, my apologies for getting you riled up about it.

Do I need to keep quiet so no one knows my opinion?
Don’t be silly.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-19-21, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Don’t be silly.
I have to, it's part of me being me.
Old 03-19-21, 10:04 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I've had a FX2 since 2019 and have put a fair number of km's on it with no issues whatsoever. It's been a great bike.

I'm sure it would be a great choice for the type of biking you'll be doing. I would recommend getting ergonomic grips if it doesn't come with the bike.

Enjoy.
Old 03-20-21, 03:08 PM
drwright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I went to my LBS and test rode an FX2, but they only had it in small and it was too small for me. They didn't have any medium hybrid bikes built, though they did have a Specialized Sirrus 2.0 that they were going to build in the next few days. It looks very similar to the Trek 2, but is $50 more ($770) and is a little heavier, so I don't really want to spend more for a bike I like (at least in theory) less. If they had the Trek 2 in medium in stock I would probably just buy it now. Since they don't, I think I'm leaning toward the REI bike. It's already less expensive and seems fairly comparable. I don't have an REI near me, but there is one close to my parent's house in Cincinnati, so I may try to get one when I go home next month.

One more question: I was looking more online and the Trek Verve 2/3 look pretty similar to the FX 2/3, except they're heavier and have a more upright ride. From what I've gathered online the FX is a better bike for longer riding and exercise than the Verve due to the upright position, but the Verve is more comfortable. It sounds like the Verve would be great for my commute, but would it not be as good for exercising as the FX? My LBS does have a Verve 3 in stock for $880 which I am tempted at, but that is significantly more expensive than some of the other bikes I was looking at.
Old 03-20-21, 04:16 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Posiedon X

I have been riding a '21 Posiedon X with drop bars 4 or 5 days a week for 4 months. I have adjusted it fit me by changing the stem. The 1x10 sprocket ratios are right for my rolling hills. I like the straight forward mechanical disk brakes. After a short break-in they work fine. 35mm tires are very comfortable on rough roads and bigger ones will fit. I love it.
How will you secure your new bike? Campuses have very high theft. Look at the other bikes. A new bike may not be the best idea.
Fred

Last edited by Blues; 03-20-21 at 04:17 PM. Reason: adding thought
Old 03-20-21, 04:41 PM
drwright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues
I have been riding a '21 Posiedon X with drop bars 4 or 5 days a week for 4 months. I have adjusted it fit me by changing the stem. The 1x10 sprocket ratios are right for my rolling hills. I like the straight forward mechanical disk brakes. After a short break-in they work fine. 35mm tires are very comfortable on rough roads and bigger ones will fit. I love it.
How will you secure your new bike? Campuses have very high theft. Look at the other bikes. A new bike may not be the best idea.
Fred
What stem did you get for it? Was the reach or angle not adequate with the stock stem? I'm leaning away from the Poseidon because I'm worried about not being able to ride it and see how it fits before buying, and I would lose money if I had to return or exchange it. The reach also looks smaller than the other bikes I'm looking at, so I'm not sure if it would feel too cramped for longer rides.

I go to grad school at a very small campus (about 1,000 students) and crime doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Obviously it just takes one bad egg, though. There are bike racks outside the building I use and I am planning to get a U-lock for the bike.
Old 03-20-21, 04:49 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
[QUOTE=drwright;21976839]What stem did you get for it? Was the reach or angle not adequate with the stock stem? I'm leaning away from the Poseidon because I'm worried about not being able to ride it and see how it fits before buying, and I would lose money if I had to return or exchange it. The reach also looks smaller than the other bikes I'm looking at, so I'm not sure if it would feel too cramped for longer rides.

I used a FOMTOR 31.8mm, 35 Degree, 70mm Stem, shortening and raising the reach. I need a less aggressive posture. I did have to tune up the bike build myself. You will need to check everything or have a LBS do it. It's a good bike. I'm really enjoying mine.