Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

clipless or flat pedals

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

clipless or flat pedals

Old 05-11-21, 12:45 PM
Micaelb

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've done hundreds of rides over 50k, up to 100 miles, with platform pedals. I've never had an issue. I've stopped shooting for speed and efficiency and now ride because I like riding. I keep it simple.
Old 05-12-21, 01:29 PM
messinbessin

Bikes: Giant Trace 2 '16, Pinarello Asolo, 80's Gardin (TNT?), Miele's, Falcon Team Banana, Marinoni Delta Dura Ace 25th Anniversary, '94 KHS ZH2B Aero Turbo, Raleigh R700 '99, Fuji Ace '88, Softride Powercurve, Norco's, Devinci's

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This is an interesting thread! Just wanted to cast my vote; I have a number of bikes some road bikes I ride clipless, others I have more supportive platform, but I always use toe clips (plastic or steel) without the straps. This gives me added security against slipping forward off the pedal, which has caused a crash for me in the past (wet platforms and pot-hole combo). At my pace, which is usually around 25kph over 60kms, I really don't notice much of a difference in effort or efficiency between clipless and flats with toe clip and no strap. Cheers!
Old 06-07-21, 12:28 AM
Boraxo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbone2
Flat peddles tennis shoes, when I get ready to go I strap on a helment and go.
I'm with you. I would be happy to try some bike shoes but I have wide feet and I haven't found any that are as comfy as my New Balance.
Likes For Boraxo:
Old 06-08-21, 11:21 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I ride either "clip-less" or with toe-clips. I prefer "clip-less" because of the stiff soles on my shoes.
I'm still looking for a pair of slim running shoes with a similar stiff sole to ride with toe-clips. I think a pair of indoor soccer shoes might work.
Old 06-08-21, 02:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I'm still looking for a pair of slim running shoes with a similar stiff sole to ride with toe-clips. I think a pair of indoor soccer shoes might work.
There's usually a good supply of old-school bike shoes for use with slotted cleats on e.g. eBay, often at decent prices since slotted cleats are so unfashionable now. They'll have the stiff sole you want. If you don't want to run the slotted cleats, remove them and use the shoes without them.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-08-21, 03:31 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
JohnDThompson.....thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think those shoes will allow for light walking.
My bike with toe-clips is my "casual" Single Speed that I jump on wearing whatever (at the moment). Unfortunately, my running shoes have very soft soles and not appropriate for cycling. I'd wear my hiking shoes but they don't slide in/out of the traps without a fight.....
Old 06-08-21, 08:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Speedway2
thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think those shoes will allow for light walking.
I suspect you'll find that any shoe with a sole stiff enough to be comfortable for several hours of cycling will be too stiff to be comfortable for walking any distance.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-08-21, 09:26 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I suspect you'll find that any shoe with a sole stiff enough to be comfortable for several hours of cycling will be too stiff to be comfortable for walking any distance.
They'd be much more comfortable than they'd been with the hard clunky cleats on them!
I usually wear cheap lightweight running type shoes with flat pedals, clips and straps, and have
been thinking to remove the cleats from my old pair of vintage shoes so I can wear them the same way.
Old 06-09-21, 06:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Another thing to consider is the type of pedal you are using. Quill and track type pedals, with narrow cages create pressure points that can be felt through a soft sole. Other pedals, like the Campagnolo Triomphe, Lyotard mod. 23 (and its modern clones like the MKS "Urban Pedal" and Sakae Ringyo "SP-11") are less apt to produce such pressure points, yet still can offer decent foot retention.
Old 06-09-21, 06:57 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by jlvs2run
They'd be much more comfortable than they'd been with the hard clunky cleats on them!
I usually wear cheap lightweight running type shoes with flat pedals, clips and straps, and have
been thinking to remove the cleats from my old pair of vintage shoes so I can wear them the same way.
The problem with using cleated shoes without cleats is that they offer no grip on the pedals, causing a host of problems even with toeclips.

Have you seen these Santic “lock-free” shoes on Amazon, Speedway2 ? They appear to be like their cleat compatible shoes, but with a rubberized outsole, so should provide the sole stiffness you’re looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Santic-Lock-F...g+shoes&sr=8-6

Last edited by chaadster; 06-09-21 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-09-21, 12:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by chaadster
The problem with using cleated shoes without cleats is that they offer no grip on the pedals, causing a host of problems even with toeclips.
That's mostly a problem with plastic or wooden soles. A leather sole ("vero cuoio") is less apt to slip. A cobbler can glue a soft rubber sole onto a hard plastic or wooden sole to provide some grip.
Old 06-10-21, 12:31 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My first bicycling shoes were from Italy and they had cleats that were nailed to the bottom and they were OK for many years except that I made a tapping noise going into a store or cafe and got everyone's attention and it was important to move slowly on linoleum flooring. Twenty five years ago I bought a new bike and put on clipless pedals and bought some Shimano clipless shoes that took 2-bolt cleats and have plenty of sole for traction I was in heaven as I could safely walk and cycle with the same pair of shoes. But they wore out and looking for new road shoes I found that I needed to go to SPD-L 3-bolt ones which are far from ideal. I need to put on the special rubber cleat booties when off the bike so it was like going back to the 1970's.

The one advantage of the SPD-L cleats is that they are available with three different degrees of rotation to fit how one like to ride and the newer SPD-L pedals require a lot less force to break my foot free while still not having to worry about popping out while pushing up a hill. For general touring I would be using a mountain bike shoe that had the 2-bolt cleat mounting. On the trails I do not like using cleats and bought a pair of Five Ten shoes with their sticky bottoms (much like rock climbing shoes).
Old 06-10-21, 05:32 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

I purchases some flat bottom bike shoes to go with my platform pedals. It's a great combo and 100x more comfortable to walk in then in clipless shoe road or mtb style. I still would not want to walk in them for more than 30 minutes. Great to get on/off your bike. Go to the bathroom/buy something in the store etc.. I would never want to wear them to work.
Old 06-11-21, 08:09 AM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Liked 89 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Both groups feel that their choices are valid.
Fixed it for ya
I ride all clipless, both road and MTB (though for loaning purposes my MTB has clipless/flat combo pedals) I do ride SPD's on both, with a mtb style bike shoe for walking purposes. So I'm not one of the cool kids in the road bike bunch, but I am comfortable.

Eric
Old 06-11-21, 10:05 PM
jlvs2run
septuagenarian

Bikes: Concept2 BikeErg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I purchased some flat bottom bike shoes to go with my platform pedals.
Can you post a link that shows and describes them?
Old 06-12-21, 11:40 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I think he's talking about these: https://www.evo.com/reviews/bike/bes...edal-mtb-shoes . This (Five-Tens) is what I use on my MTB.
Old 06-12-21, 09:00 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

Originally Posted by davester
I think he's talking about these: https://www.evo.com/reviews/bike/bes...edal-mtb-shoes . This (Five-Tens) is what I use on my MTB.

While not my shoes but this is exaclt what I am talking about ^^^^^. those are good shoes Dave posted.

I bought these because I hate how shoe laces keep coming untied. Or sometimes there are so long
the get caught me things etc.. these shoes I can tighten while I ride. I really like that feature.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...pop/p/15192103

I have these pedals on my gravel bike and road bike.

If I want to go fast on the flats say for 2 hours to avg 20+ mph I will put on my speed play pedals so I turn a little higher cadence. Being clipped in hurts my knees when doing hills ( motorcycle injury ) so most of the time is flat pedal for me.
Old 06-22-21, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I'm a big fan of 1/2 clips, aka mini clips, aka toe clips modified & used w/o straps. easy on, easy off but you still get some foot retention, beyond what knobbed flat MTB pedals provide. you can make your own or buy them off the shelf. I have size 13 US feet so finding the right size was my challenge. I use them on road bikes, hybrids & MTBs

however, I'm currently using cleated pedals/shoes on the road bike & knobbed flats on the hybrid & MTB. an experimental phase

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.