Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Geometry Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Geometry Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 02:19 AM
spilot101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Geometry Question

So I'm 195cm (6'4") with an inseam of 99cm / 64cm arms - (long legs with a normal upper body). Currently living in Korea where sizes stop at L.... So I've had Canyon Endurace 2XL for the past few years.It fits me fairly well, but I've been wanting something a bit more frisky lately and been looking into the Ultimate, which is sized more aggressively: longer reach and a shorter stack. According to Canyon, I'm right in between XL (<98cm inseam) and XXL (>99cm).... So I'm curious which, do you think, would be more comfortable.... While it seems that the XXL (Ultimate) would be more upright....the reach will also be longer. Any input is greatly appreciated

Last edited by spilot101; 04-07-21 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-07-21, 03:08 AM
spilot101

PS. While my current bike works for the most part, too much time in the drops aches my lower back a bit. Perhaps another question could be.... which of the two Ultimate XL vs Ultimate XXL is less likely to exacerbate the situation?
Old 04-07-21, 03:11 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
This is truly a difficult question to answer, because just proportions aren't enough to decide which bike is going to be comfortable for you. Other contributing factors are your mobility and postural strength, pelvic posture, pedaling style etc.

All I can do is contribute some of my own findings since I'm pretty close to your size (6'5" so just over 195,5cm) with a slightly shorter inseam (96.5cm) and slightly longer arms (70cm).
I haven't tried a canyon endurance, but having done some testing with my LHT, which is roughly the same size frame wise I can perhaps give some insight from my own perspective.

Currently the 62cm LHT has 50mm of spacers under a 100mm stem and 85mm reach bars. Accounting for a few variables (also the shape of the bars and subsequent lever placement) the endurance 2XL has roughly 1cm longer and 2.5cm lower riding position than my LHT at the moment.
My take is that the Endurance could work for me with a shorter stem (100mm). It is a bit low though so for me it would resemble a racer rather than an endurance bike. The Ultimate however is even longer and lower so I highly doubt I could make it work for me in any size

Then again, you might be able to make it work for you.

What I've learned about reach and stack over the years however is that going lower can be a choice. This means that you can lower your bar quite a bit and work through the possible initial discomfort. When you get stronger, you get accustomed to that lower position and you're good to go. There are limits of course.
Going longer however is not really a choice. You can potentially strengthen yourself over a season to gain a longer position at some point in the future, but the work needs to be put in beforehand. You'll notice this usually by the sensation that your cockpit feels cramped. But in my experience it's not viable to slap in a longer stem and try to work through the discomfort. Too long a stem leads to all kinds of issues quite quickly. This is the reason you may need to use a shorter stem when you move the bars down so you maintain the same bar reach when the bar stack gets lower.

As to the different sizes, I'd advice you to buy a couple of 17 degree stems in different lengths so you can simulate the Ultimate's reach+ and stack+ numbers in different sizes. That way you'll get a better understanding which size you can get.

I use this tool to make assesments between frames Stack and reach calculator
Old 04-07-21, 03:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22586 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Ordinarily would say get the XXL and get slightly shorter and/or upsloping stem (90-100mm and 17 degrees) as above.

I don’t know the Canyon line but with proprietary stems and stem/bar combos it’s tougher to tweak.
Old 04-07-21, 06:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
So you're primarily looking for more lively handling via geometry (rake, trail, wheelbase, stay length, etc)?

What's your stack and reach currently and are you using additional spacers (if so, how many)? Are you looking for a slightly more aggressive position, even though you already have discomfort at times? Or would you rather replicate the position that your already have?
Old 04-07-21, 04:10 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
You mention that too much time in the drops sometimes hurts your back. I wonder how long you've ridden and if you've experimented with the bike fit to find your position or had a bike fit. I'd encourage getting your current bike to fit you comfortably for you and the type of riding you do by a combination of the above and then looking for a replacement bike that's more high spirited on which to duplicate the position, which would then be a known quantity.
Old 04-07-21, 05:50 PM
spilot101

Thanks for all the feedback - good stuff

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So you're primarily looking for more lively handling via geometry (rake, trail, wheelbase, stay length, etc)?

What's your stack and reach currently and are you using additional spacers (if so, how many)? Are you looking for a slightly more aggressive position, even though you already have discomfort at times? Or would you rather replicate the position that your already have?
I was looking for something more lively, lighter and easier to corner. The Ultimate would be about 1.8kg lighter.
I don't have any extra spacers or anything else... so my stack and reach are just as they are in the diagram I posted (636mm and 399mm respectively). I'm not necessary looking for a more aggressive position and would rather replicate the one that I already have.
Old 04-07-21, 05:54 PM
spilot101

Originally Posted by imakecircles
You mention that too much time in the drops sometimes hurts your back. I wonder how long you've ridden and if you've experimented with the bike fit to find your position or had a bike fit. I'd encourage getting your current bike to fit you comfortably for you and the type of riding you do by a combination of the above and then looking for a replacement bike that's more high spirited on which to duplicate the position, which would then be a known quantity.
That definitely makes sense. So if I'm experiencing a bit of lower back tightness with my current rig, would throwing some extra spacers be a good move, or would the 17 deg. 100mm stem be a more sound next step?
Old 04-07-21, 06:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Originally Posted by spilot101
That definitely makes sense. So if I'm experiencing a bit of lower back tightness with my current rig, would throwing some extra spacers be a good move, or would the 17 deg. 100mm stem be a more sound next step?
Back tightness or soreness isn't just handlebar height. You might have some reach or saddle position that needs to be sorted too.
Old 04-07-21, 06:44 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Why don't you experiment with the fit on the bike you already have?
Then when you are happy with it get the new frame to suit that fit.
It is the only way to do it. Guessing on a forum is useless.
Old 04-08-21, 04:30 AM
spilot101

True, although I still wouldn't mind getting down to which of the Ultimate models would be more or less close to my Endurace
Old 04-08-21, 06:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Looking at the charts, the geo is not very different between those bikes at all, and in fact, even though the Ultimates have 5mm shorter stays, they both have a longer wheelbase which negatively impacts the sensation of agility. I would not expect any real handling differences between these two models.

Personally, while a lively bike is a blast, I wouldn’t waste my time or money on such a swap, but if you insist, getting the smaller Ultimate is the easy choice IMO.