Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM force AXS crankset confusion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 05:41 PM
Ti473

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Does anyone know what the Cannondale Ai version entail??

I cannot find any technical information on the SRAM website regarding this (or a myriad of other things...)

I understand that the Ai interface has to do with the offset being 6mm more to the right, but is that offset moved by the chainring? the spider? the spindle (probably not this one since they already have a "wide" version with a longer spindle).

I'm asking because the Ai version is the only one I can find available through my channels.

Thanks,
Old 04-10-21, 07:00 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/en...c-Integration-
Old 04-10-21, 09:18 PM
Ti473

thanks, but that doesn't really answer my question. I already knew that Ai has to do with different offset, I just want to know how the offset shift is achieved on this crankset since I will not be using them on a bike with Ai. Is it via spider, chainring or the crank arm themselves?
Old 04-10-21, 10:28 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
"We then integrate this with our new Ai HollowGram spider, which moves the chainrings an equal 6mm to the right" according to the link above The bigger problem is that Ai seems to use a different bb """"standard""" with an 83mm shell width, so Ai cranks will have a different spindle length and spacer setup. The most confusing part is probably websites simply listing the bb as Dub rather than "Dub for Cannondale Ai" or BB30-83 Ai.
Old 04-11-21, 06:52 AM
DaveSSS 

You need to be more specific about what crank you intend to buy and what frame it's going on. Sram sells a crank with a +2.5mm chainline, but is also requires a wide FD to go with it. This provides more clearance for wide rear tires.

FWIW, a shimano grx crank also works with SRAM AXS. I have one on each of my road bikes, with the chainline corrected to get rid of the +2.5mm. Spacing washers and longer chain ring bolts are needed to do that.
Old 04-11-21, 08:47 AM
Ti473

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You need to be more specific about what crank you intend to buy and what frame it's going on. Sram sells a crank with a +2.5mm chainline, but is also requires a wide FD to go with it. This provides more clearance for wide rear tires.

FWIW, a shimano grx crank also works with SRAM AXS. I have one on each of my road bikes, with the chainline corrected to get rid of the +2.5mm. Spacing washers and longer chain ring bolts are needed to do that.

I would be getting the force AXS cannondale Ai crankset (due to availability) and putting it on a standard BSA 68mm shell. I did find some documentation from SRAM that tells you what crankset/bottom bracket/spacers to use, but it doesn't give you any specs on the crankset itself. If the Ai offset is corrected via spider and/or chainring, it's an easy work around: you just get an aftermarket DM chainring with normal offset. But i have a feeling that it has to do with spindle length, in which case doing so would still push your chainline outboard.
i might just have to wait for standard cranksets to be back in stock.
​​​​​
Old 04-11-21, 10:22 AM
DaveSSS 

It seems to me that this only works with a Cannondale frame. You can't move the drivetrain 6mm to the right on most frames. My road frame has zero room to move my axs cassette to the right. A special FD mount would also be needed.