Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do these tires work with these wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 07:08 AM
BlueRaspberry
Gravelist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking to put together a wheelset to be used as a daily driver set which will see roughly 80%/20% road/light gravel usage and am considering getting some 700x32c Gravelking SS tires for the job but I'm having trouble deciding on the wheels to pair with.

Looking at some big-name brands I see that DT Swiss GRC 1400, ENVE SES 3.4 AR, or Zipp 303 Firecrest are very similarly spec'ed at: 25mm inner, 32mm outer, ~40mm depth, hookless. These all provide aero benefit but does the aero benefit work with a 32mm tire? Or am I better off getting something smaller and lighter without aero, such as a 22mm inner, 27mm outer, 25mm depth, hookless wheel if I were to use 32mm tires?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-11-21, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The Enves are most aero with a 28 mm tire, but because of the internal width it'll be about 33 mm on the ground. Can't say about the others, but in general rims are at their best with a specific tire size in terms of air resistance.

Edit to add: if you're looking at the 3.4 ARs, the 4.5 are real nice too.
Old 04-11-21, 11:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
A daily driver for riding all out for racing or fitness? Or a daily driver for going to the store or work?
Old 04-11-21, 06:11 PM
BlueRaspberry
Gravelist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Daily for going to store/work and "fitness" during lunch breaks (which is pretty much just a repeat of commute loop). I don't race, but when I have the time I go out for mountain rides on the weekend.
Old 04-11-21, 06:53 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
How much aero benefit do you think there is to be had with a perfectly matched tyre on these wheels?
What difference would it make for your intended use?
Old 04-11-21, 07:41 PM
BlueRaspberry
Gravelist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
How much aero benefit do you think there is to be had with a perfectly matched tyre on these wheels?
What difference would it make for your intended use?
I have no idea which is why I'm asking. From what I've read though aero wheels weigh more than non-aero (more material is needed to make deeper wheels) they provide more benefit from the reduced air resistance than the added weight (which also doesn't matter much once you get rolling, though this may not be as true on climbs?).

However, I'm concerned to know if the tire/wheel combination I'm thinking of will even result in any aero benefit because if not, why pay more for a heavier, deeper wheel that will be affected by crosswinds?
Old 04-11-21, 08:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My 4.5 ARs are deeper than you're looking at, they're more well behaved in cross winds than the box section rims that came with the bike. The 3.4s should be even less of a problem.

For what it's worth, deeper rims also make for stronger and stiffer wheels. If you're not having a lot of trouble on those fronts $3k is a lot to spend for that reason.

I would call Zipp and Enve and ask them about your tire concerns. Their reputations are important to both companies and I would think they would want to not have unhappy customers enough to be honest with you.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-12-21, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
For what you are doing, just buy what looks nice and not worry about whether they are the ultimate wheel that defines wheel for everyone.

If that is an aero look or not. Aluminum or carbon, you can find a decent wheel from a lot of different manufacturers that won't bust the bank and won't be more than 400 grams heavier for the wheelset than the lightest most expensive you can find.

But I suppose if you are really serious and taking it to the competition level in your training, then maybe you will benefit from the ultimate wheel set, what ever that is.
Old 04-13-21, 01:09 AM
BlueRaspberry
Gravelist

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
For what you are doing, just buy what looks nice and not worry about whether they are the ultimate wheel that defines wheel for everyone.

If that is an aero look or not. Aluminum or carbon, you can find a decent wheel from a lot of different manufacturers that won't bust the bank and won't be more than 400 grams heavier for the wheelset than the lightest most expensive you can find.

But I suppose if you are really serious and taking it to the competition level in your training, then maybe you will benefit from the ultimate wheel set, what ever that is.
I agree, at a certain point it's just min/maxing. I'm not at a competitive level, but if I'm going to spend the money I should do the research and make sure I'm not blowing money for nothing.