Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

If you have used a wireless computer, did you like it?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: I have tried a wireless computer, and...
... I am still using it.
90.20%
... I switched back to a wired computer.
6.86%
... I like it, but not enough to use it on all my bikes.
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

If you have used a wireless computer, did you like it?

Old 02-22-11, 09:50 PM
learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started with a Cateye Strada Wireless and now a Garmin Edge 500. Both are very good.
Old 02-22-11, 10:27 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One, custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike, custom TYA steel (Taiwan brand), Breezer Venturi, custom Badger Cycles road bike (no longer in business), + a host of other frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cateye Strada, Shimano Flightdeck, Garmin Edge 705 .. zero issues. I have harnesses on 4 bikes for the Garmin. I have a Cateye Strada on now 3 bikes.
Old 02-22-11, 10:33 PM
JimJimex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it is either wireless or no computer.
Old 02-22-11, 10:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo View Post
The nice thing about wireless is you need only one computer for multiple bikes.
Agreed.
I have one Garmin 705, but 4 bikes, each with a stem mount and speed/cadence sensor.
Old 02-22-11, 10:40 PM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never owned wireless, but when I overhauled my bike last year I never bothered to put the wired computer back on because I hate the wires so much. I don't miss having the info that much.
Old 02-22-11, 10:54 PM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Garmin 500 and i'm not really pleased with it.

It's annoying having to remember to start each ride as well as waiting to acquire satellite signal before embarking on every ride. On several occasions, I have paused/stopped the recording, just to realize that i forgot to restart it and have the mileage and what not be off.

Not to mention that sometimes the GPS is way off and when looking at my routes on Gamin connect i'm nowhere near the trails.
Had I not gotten a killer deal on it i would be pissed!!

With the wireless unit, it was as simple as ensuring to reset the unit either at the beginning of every ride or after.

Last edited by BayAreaUser; 02-23-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 11:45 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started this round of bikes with a wired Strada. Nice computer.

I later got a Strada Wireless for another bike. It worked great, too, at least until I got a high-powered headlight (Dinotte 200), which interfered and the computer couldn't do anything. Switched that bike to a Blackburn Neuro 5.0 with HR and cadence. Worked great until it quit recognizing the chest strap, and I also think that the cadence/speed sensor's battery started dying. I took it off of that bike when I sold it, and it's sitting in a shoebox now.

I've got a Flight Deck on the road bike now. Wireless, which I'm not completely excited about, but the control buttons in the hoods are neat (if too easy to hit accidentally). I don't miss not having HR. I also don't know if it's vulnerable to RF interference. Maybe I'll keep it as long as I have these shifters, maybe I'll take it off the next time I rewrap the bars.

I think the next computer I'll get will be a wired Strada Cadence. If I get a HRM again, it'll be a watch so that I can use it off the bike.
Old 02-23-11, 12:06 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin Edge 500 with premium HR strap. Occasionally I get too-low speed readings on steep climbs, like 1.5 mph for a second or two. Also, once in a while when starting a ride I get ridiculous percent grade readings for a minute or two. I've seen it go up to 600-800% grade or more before settling down.

I did update the firmware to 2.60.0.0 around the beginning of the month. I've done three climbing rides with it since then and haven't had the goofy grade readings. I still get the abnormally slow climb speeds though.
Old 02-23-11, 12:23 AM
mechBgon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had problems with my wireless computers and HRMs getting jammed by EMI from my light systems, first encountered with HID and now with LED, including both self-contained and corded lights. I just recently picked up a Garmin Edge 500 which eliminated that problem completely.

So if you use a light system, do a reality check to confirm it won't cause issues. Make sure to test in all the output levels, not just HIGH.

As for the Garmin, it has its ups and downs (no pun intended) but overall I think it's a keeper. I can now use one computer on four bikes, it'll read whatever ANT+ sensors I may decide to get, I can pick what data I want to see on any given ride, and I can get the data out of it and put it on a 2D or 3D map in Topofusion Pro (sold separately)...

...and/or review interesting sections of the ride like this (sorry for the notchy 15fps framerate, it's smoother IRL):

Last edited by mechBgon; 02-23-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 08:14 AM
ctcycler

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently using a Cateye V3, and I love it. No problems with sensors moving around or anything and readings are consistent.
Old 02-23-11, 08:43 AM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BayAreaUser View Post
I have a Garmin 500 and i'm not really pleased with it.

It's annoying having to remember to start each ride as well as having waiting to acquire satellite signal before embarking on every ride. On several occasions, I have paused/stopped the recording, just to realize that i forgot to restart it and have the mileage and what not be off.

Not to mention that sometimes the GPS is way off and when looking at my routes on Gamin connect i'm nowhere near the trails.
Had I not gotten a killer deal on it i would be pissed!!

With the wireless unit, it was as simple as ensuring to reset the unit either at the beginning of every ride or after.
These issues are worth the benefits, IMO. You will get used to starting it early, so you do not have to wait for satellites. Also, look up auto pause. This way you will not forget to restart it when you get moving.

I love my 500.
Old 02-24-11, 06:47 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240 and Sportive, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I really appreciate it. It looks like my next computer will be a wireless one. Hopefully my Princeton Tec Switchback headlamp won't cause any interference.
Old 02-24-11, 07:44 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
I'm curious how many people have tried a wireless computer and liked it, compared to those who tried it but went back to a standard wired unit. Please mention the wireless model(s) that you have had first hand experience with, along with any specific problems.

I am interested in a computer for basic functions such as speed and distance, rather than fancier features such as GPS mapping, power meters, etc. The Cateye Strada is one model that I am especially considering. Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.
Garmin edge 500. The absolute best. Love it, no problems......yet.
Old 02-24-11, 08:40 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cateye strada double wireless (cc-rd400dw, it has cadence). it's been great so far, no problems. and it's nice having the sensors on the back wheel so i can use it on the trainer.
Old 02-24-11, 08:53 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround View Post
Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I really appreciate it. It looks like my next computer will be a wireless one. Hopefully my Princeton Tec Switchback headlamp won't cause any interference.
Just a reminder FYI, my wireless Strada suffered interference with its lower-tech RF signal. My Blackburn, with its 2.4 GHz digital system, was fine. I'd say to go for a computer with digital wireless (or change your mind and go wired ).
Old 02-24-11, 08:56 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 the cateye strada double (w/cadence) and a vetta vl110 (w/cadence). love them both. Cadence was the main feature I was interesed in, rear wheel mounting was next (trainer useage). I dont know of any wired options for that.
Old 02-24-11, 09:02 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My regular computer is a Cat Eye Strada Double Wireless. I like the size and look, and once it is set up it isn't bad. The transmitter is a battery pig and doesn't work in the cold. The magnet is weak so the position of the magnets and sensors have to be precise. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

My Sigma 1606L DTS is a better computer all around.

My next cycling purchase may very well be an Edge 500 with speed/cadence and HR and I'll sell my two wireless computers.

Freighttraininguphill: Do use the speed sensor? I know that GPS's alone have a hard time measuring bearing and velocity on steep pitches because your horizontal position is changing too slowly.
Old 02-24-11, 09:04 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240 and Sportive, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Just a reminder FYI, my wireless Strada suffered interference with its lower-tech RF signal. My Blackburn, with its 2.4 GHz digital system, was fine. I'd say to go for a computer with digital wireless (or change your mind and go wired ).
I appreciate that information!
Old 02-25-11, 12:14 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec View Post
I have 2 the cateye strada double (w/cadence) and a vetta vl110 (w/cadence). love them both. Cadence was the main feature I was interesed in, rear wheel mounting was next (trainer useage). I dont know of any wired options for that.
Wired Cateye with cadence; it puts both the speed and cadence sensors on the chainstay:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/407
Old 02-25-11, 12:41 AM
Cdy291

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using wireless now for so many years with no issues that I would never go back.

But I would have to say I would not trust a wireless computer with a reqular price of less than $45.

Co owner of The Chain Station bike shop.
Old 02-25-11, 02:04 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climber7 View Post
cateye strada double wireless (cc-rd400dw, it has cadence). it's been great so far, no problems. and it's nice having the sensors on the back wheel so i can use it on the trainer.
Yeah, this is one of the best things about it, being able to use it on the trainer. It's been pretty much problem-free for me too, except that when I first got it I managed to knock the rear wheel/cadence sensor slightly out of alignment by bumping it with my foot at stoplights. As soon as I got used to it being there, it wasn't a problem anymore. It has managed to make it almost 4,000 miles on the current battery.
Old 02-25-11, 02:13 AM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently got the Cateye Strada double wireless and it's pretty awesome. I didn't have a computer before, but now it's great not riding blind and being able to know my speed, cadence, etc.

Last edited by zitter; 02-25-11 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 09:27 AM
crhilton

Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They can be kind of finicky. But they look a lot nicer.

Oh, and the battery dies about 10 times faster, and you need two when it does. But they look a lot nicer.
Old 02-25-11, 09:53 AM
RunSMK

Bikes: Flet F60X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edge 500

I have the Garmin Edge 500 and I absolutely love it. I have never had a problem with it, I am able to import to Garmin's tracking system as well as various other online tracking for training purposes.
Old 02-25-11, 11:07 AM
thcri

Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Garmin FR60 that I used for winter work outs and jogging on a tread mill with the foot pod. I do want to get an Edge 800 some day but the FR60 with my Bontrager Duo Tap works really nice on the trainer. I get Heart Rate, Cadence, Speed, Average Speed/Pace and other stuff. No wires and almost hidden. And I can upload to Garmin Connect. I just don't get the maps but have maps on another program I have on my phone.

Duo Tap

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.