Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I need to cut weight?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do I need to cut weight?

Old 02-28-11, 08:14 PM
kstryapko

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im actually quite the healthy eater, and if you look at me it appears that im 170. I dont look heavy I just am. But I will try to cut out all bad foods
Old 02-28-11, 08:15 PM
kstryapko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is me
Old 02-28-11, 08:16 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One, custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike, custom TYA steel (Taiwan brand), Breezer Venturi, custom Badger Cycles road bike (no longer in business), + a host of other frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put in perspective, standards that these guys are quoting on here are based on the body styles of people who are paid to ride. To the OP, the poster that recommended you go see a physician is the most correct in my opinion. Everyone could stand to lose some weight. But please do it for the right reasons .. I'll stop as I am no more qualified.
Old 02-28-11, 08:19 PM
kstryapko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or a more bike appropriate picture me being all the way to your right.
Old 02-28-11, 08:23 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One, custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike, custom TYA steel (Taiwan brand), Breezer Venturi, custom Badger Cycles road bike (no longer in business), + a host of other frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will offer this. Pick a week, track EVERYTHING you ingest without changing your routine. Then look back to see where you have empty calories. You may find that just adjusting what you eat, cuts out a bunch of empty calories and you may end up dropping truly extra pounds .. if they are indeed extra.
Old 02-28-11, 08:42 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO, I have seen 200 lbs fly up hills. unless your doing 5+ minutes climbs in your races. yet lighter is always better. Watch the documentary "fat head" for a different perspective on weight control. It is very informative and basically supports a low-carb diet. Not sure how well that will work for cycling performance but I'm going to try it for a month and keep a diary.
Old 02-28-11, 08:46 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kstryapko View Post

Eat less.
Old 03-01-11, 10:11 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
16, 6', 194lbs = 32, 6', 260lbs.

think about it.

calories in versus calories out. others have said it; until you track your calories and understand what you are eating it is impossible to identify the problem areas that need adjustment. track what you eat at fitday.com or some fancy iPhone App like LoseIT then come back and let us know the results. later.
Old 03-01-11, 10:22 AM
jwill87ta

Bikes: 2014 FUJI Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6' and when I was 16 weighed around 194 lbs. By the time I went to college I was 220lbs and after two years I was 260lbs. Granted I wasn't uber active but it took me two years (age 21-23) to drop that weight and get back down to about 190lbs where I was comfortable, but still had plenty to lose. Believe me if you have unhealthy eating habits, which I did, they will catch up to you very quickly and very soon. Try to start eating healthy now and it will become second nature to you. Then when all of your buddies turn in to fat asses at age 22 you will already be on the ball and have it all under control.
Old 03-01-11, 12:21 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
You're obviously not obese, but for your age you're kinda heavy. More miles on the bike will help, but you really need a face-to-face with an expert, rather than listening to us old pharts on the internet. I'm 6'2", and at your age - 43 years ago! - I was about 155. I'm about 195 now, down from a high of 220, and it's harder to lose weight as you get older.

Whatever you do, you have to do it intelligently, because you still have a few years of growing ahead of you. Losing weight stupidly at this point in your life could have negative repercussions as you get older.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-01-11, 01:48 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask the kid in the Battley jersey about Russ. Talk to him and take his advice.

Well, that's what I need to do, anyway.
Old 03-01-11, 02:16 PM
azshtr

Bikes: 1973 Shwinn Super Sport - 1981 Colnago - 2006 Cannondale CAAD 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said in my original first reply, just start watching what you eat and eat very healthy. Your body will take care of the rest. People have learned very bad eating habits and it's not that hard to change your mindset to eat right. With the right fuel your body will find a natural balance. I really don't see the need for a doctors visit, your on the right track already. THAT IS MY OPINION ONLY... get medical advice right away
Old 03-01-11, 02:25 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 16 you're too young to start obsessing about what you eat. You'll turn into these BF "girlie men". Ride more, ride more, ride more. If you're racing then ride even more.

As an athlete you are likely to gravitate towards healthier foods if you want to be competitive.

The weight will take care of itself.
Old 03-01-11, 02:45 PM
CaptJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ "BF girlie men"...

Yeah, gravitate towards healthier food and you will probably see your weight plummet a fair bit. My dinner meals normally consist of brown rice with sweet potatoes and some boil vegetables.
Old 03-01-11, 02:58 PM
bones_mcbones 
gouch pad

Bikes: Fiori Fixie powder blue w/ granny bars

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 6037 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts View Post
At 16 you're too young to start obsessing about what you eat. You'll turn into these BF "girlie men". Ride more, ride more, ride more. If you're racing then ride even more.

As an athlete you are likely to gravitate towards healthier foods if you want to be competitive.

The weight will take care of itself.
This. Don't worry about how much you weigh, worry about how fast you are (that's what matters, correct?).

Eat clean.
Old 03-01-11, 03:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by kstryapko View Post
so if you're 6', the guy in the dark blue is 6'6"?
Cycling is an eating disorder. I remember when I hit 155lb I thought I was morbidly obese. I never let it affect my eating though.
Old 03-01-11, 05:39 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of 16 years old --

You're big for your age, but then again, when you say you're "not too heavy", are you comparing yourself to most of the kids at school? Whenever I see HS kids anymore I'm amazed at how heavy so many of them are. You might not seem that big compared to them, but for your height -- and I'm not trying to invoke the specter of BMI -- you're kinda big.

And before you get mad at me for picking on your weight, I gotta say that I'd be about the same weight at your height. I was quite a bit bigger 18 months ago, too. Keep exercising, but the real key to cutting off the excess is watching what you eat. EVERYTHING that you eat. Before the internet, people used to write down every meal in a logbook and reference a handbook later to count calories. There are plenty of websites that do that now. If you've got a smartphone, well, "there's an app for that." (and a smartphone app is my recommendation since it'll always be with you)
Old 03-01-11, 08:26 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Oh, and try not to be so sensitive. "You're all too fat for this sport" is a favorite meme of the BF road forum. I certainly am.
I'm not...But, it doesn't seem to be helping
Old 03-01-11, 09:14 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Based on the photos I think you could easily drop 20lbs (by easily I don't mean it would be easy I mean it is something that wouldn't be detrimental to your health).

There isn't a lot of definition in your legs and you seem to be healthy but not lean.

You say you exercise 5 times a week. What does this mean? What kind of training are you doing and for what durations?

My guess is you are spending time in a weight room? If so, cut it out. If you want to race bikes you need to ride. LOTS. The stuff in the weight room is very specific and comes later.

Ride. Lots. And then ride some more.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 03-01-11 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 09:19 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's another young kid to help you. im 15 and a half, and im 6 foot at 160 right now and i want to get down to 150 natural weight for race season. im a wrestler, and am VERY strong for my weight. i constantly lift just as much as the 200 lbs "not fat kids" do. you definitely can lose weight, but its more up to you if you really want to. Unless your racing very intensely i wouldn't go to extremes, maybe just eat a sandwich instead of a quarter pounder, or drink 3 soda's a day instead of 5. if you really want go get a bf test with pinchers. if your over 12 i would consider losing a little weight if you over 16 definitely cut back on some fatty things.
Old 03-01-11, 10:45 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining View Post
...or drink 3 soda's a day instead of 5.
ZERO sodas. None. Zip. No more sodas! Talk about empty calories...
Old 03-01-11, 11:18 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At age 16 I was about 5'11'' and weighed around 160 pounds. By age 18 I was pushing 212 pounds - then I started eating less and riding my bike a lot more. At 22 I was down to 150 pounds, training/racing a lot and eating anything I wanted. I ballooned back up to 214 pounds after I quit cycling at age 40. I've lost almost 60 pounds since I started riding again and watching what I eat. I avoid fast/fried/junk foods and eat lots of fresh veggies and grilled chicken /seafood.

Well, there are two morals in here:
1. You are what you eat. Junk in = junk tissue (a.k.a. fat)
2. Use it (as in muscle) or lose it.
Put them together and you'll be a lean, mean cycling machine when you're 56 (my age).

As far as you're concerned . . . are you happy with your weight?
Old 03-01-11, 11:22 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
Eat right. Less calories in vs calories burned = less weight. Cut out fast food if you eat it, (or at least be smart about it. McD's oatmeal instead of egg sandwich, jack in the crack has a good chicken fajita pita, subway can be good but no mayo and stick to turkey, Etc.) Eat smaller portions. No sugars and especially no soda, even if it is diet. Skinless chicken, turkey, fish, long rice, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, and on and on. You will loose weight if you stick to it.

Good luck.
Oh, McD's oatmeal? I saw this NYT piece specifically about that "oatmeal" just a few days ago:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...oatmeal-wrong/
The aspect one cannot argue is nutrition: Incredibly, the McDonald’s [oatmeal] product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)
Old 03-02-11, 12:24 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
ZERO sodas. None. Zip. No more sodas! Talk about empty calories...
i was just useing an example of slowly working your way down towards a heathy diet.
Old 03-02-11, 12:33 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pay attention to what you eat. Count the amount of calories you eat. Go and google a calorie counter where you input your weight, height, and age and they can estimate how many calories you need to eat in order to lose weight. It's an estimate but it's a start.

Best thing to do is to cut out the FAT. No Ice Cream, Cookies, sweets, etc.

Increase intake of non fat protein like skinless lowfat (0.5 gram) chicken. You will feel full and they are low calories and high protein.

Don't starve yourself, your body will go into survival mode and turn the foods you eat into fat. Instead you should ride more and maybe lift some weights and eat a low fat/low calorie diet. You can still eat a decent amount of food that will make you feel full. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like I am on a strict diet. You just have to change your eating habit. Once you do, it's really easy to lose weight especially the first 10-20 lbs. Keep at it.

The trick is making sure you exercise while eating below the calorie needed to maintain/gain weight.

Some things that have worked for me. I eat LOTs of nonfat yogurt. It is a low calorie food with a good amount of protein and some carbs that are not all simple(bad) sugars. Just make sure it is non fat and not flavored in anyway. Look at the Carb grams. If it is on the high side like 20-36 grams then there's something in the ingredients that is used to make it sweeter. Avoid. It should be about at the most 17grams of Carbs. There has been studies done that show that Yogurt mixes in the the fat that you intake into a gooey mass that eventually gets excreted. They found that a test subject of folk who ate a diet high in calcium(yogurt being an excellent source of calicum) excreted twice as much more fat than the control group that didn't. Remember the test subjects were eating NON-fat Yogurt.

Also green tea and spicy foods have been shown to increase your metabolism. Just don't overdo it. The max green tea should be about 3 cups and you have to watch out about the sodium content of spicy foods. I recommend tabasco sauce since it is only 35mg per serving.

I highly recommend Brown rice as a source of Carbs. It will slowly breakdown in your digestive system vs. modified white starch like white bread, rice(fake stuff).

Also eat oatmeal for breakfast. That stuff is an awesome breakfast. Proven to reduce cholesterol.

Cut out fast food, and anything processed, cheese is good to cut out too. Sounds like no fun, but you get use to it and you'll feel better, trust me.

Also, a lot of folks say it is about portion control, but frankly, I was overweight because I LOVE to EAT. I still eat a good amount of food, but it is almost all low calorie and natural. I think a lot of folks just starve themselves and think it will work but they are just fooling themselves. Eating more low calorie foods (which will keep your metabolism up) while exercising in the best way.

Say no to sugary juices, soda, etc. Say yes to lots of water. Eat fruits instead to get your sweets fix.

Good Luck.

Last edited by 531phile; 03-02-11 at 01:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.