Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can I ride with a Roadbike on rougher terrain or is a Gravelbike the better option?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Can I ride with a Roadbike on rougher terrain or is a Gravelbike the better option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 10:46 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I can use 23 on gravel and I can ride 2.8 knobbies on the road. Don't let anyone here tell you what they do and expect it to be "the answer". Gravel is not a singular thing meaning not asphalt and the time spent in that gravel thick or thin makes a huge difference. I've done centuries on tires and some random person tries to educate me and tell me I have the wrong tires. Get a bike that will fit the tires you think you will need. Like someone said in the thread, you can always put smaller ones on.
Old 02-16-20, 11:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm reminded of my adolescent self riding a Sears Free Spirit in rural Kansas gravel roads and cow paths. Long before Dirty Kanza... I simply didn't know any better...
Yep. I've taken my Armstrong 3-speed on gravel a few times, as well!

There can be no doubt that a bike with really big tires and lots of clearance will handle gravel better, but it makes me a bit sad whenever I see a thread saying "I'd like to try X, but I'm worried I don't have the right bike for it. What should I get?"
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-16-20, 11:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
A Free Spirit had 32mm tires on it. That's a little small for a lot of gravel, but I think it's probably okay for the midwest gravel I have ridden on. When I lived in Southwest Virginia, a lot of the gravel roads had a really nice surface, we would ride them on our racing bikes quite a bit. I think the Strada Bianca is about the same, a little dusty but smooth. Here in Central Pennsylvania, the forest service roads are well maintained, but there are some big rocks embedded that they didn't bother to remove when they made the roads. Those things will kill a small tire if you hit them at speed
Old 02-16-20, 11:38 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
there are some big rocks embedded that they didn't bother to remove when they made the roads. Those things will kill a small tire if you hit them at speed
Some of us are heavier than others. If heavy people use skinny tires on rough roads, something will break.
Old 02-18-20, 10:51 PM
NorthboundRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which gravel bike did you go with (and is it carbon or aluminum)?
aluminum, here it is in action:

As others have mentioned, a road bike that can take close to 40mm or more but maintains a mostly 'road' - but more upright - geometry may be your best bet, along with 2 sets of wheels (one slimmer, another wider) to choose from depending on where you'll dedicate the larger percentage of your ride on a given day...
In my humble opinion, it is hard to maintain a road/cross bike feeling with tires around 40. 35 seems to be working out for me, but we are all different, so this is just me..
Old 02-19-20, 06:00 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
You wouldn't suffer much of a penalty using a gravel bike as a road bike, many of them would be great at both. A road bike will probably limit what you can do on gravel, but the question is will the limits of that road bike matter to you in the real world off road choices you might make in the future.

That said, as a young teen, we used to ride our Schwinn Varsity's on dirt paths with ruts and jumps, and banked turns all the time and had a blast.

Last edited by srode1; 02-19-20 at 06:03 AM.
Likes For srode1:
Old 02-23-20, 06:19 PM
jischr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do you consider gravel. My 25mm road tires are fine for dry crushed limestone or dirt. If it's damp/wet there isn't enough space on the forks and I can hear it grind. That's when I used the CX with 38 mm tires. This is a pretty good vid on when to use different widths.
Likes For jischr:
Old 02-24-20, 03:52 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthboundRick
In my humble opinion, it is hard to maintain a road/cross bike feeling with tires around 40. 35 seems to be working out for me, but we are all different, so this is just me..
650bx42=700cx23
Use something like a Rene Herse Baby Shoe Pass