Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Pedals with zero float?

Old 01-25-20, 09:09 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Pedals with zero float?

After a short time on a pair of Shimano XT's, I've realized that I simply do not like having float...anyone know of any mtb pedals that allow you to run 0° of float?
All I've been able to find are the Crank Bros Candy series, and the less than stellar reviews are making me want to look elsewhere.
Old 01-26-20, 06:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Speedplay Syzr ?
Old 01-29-20, 08:33 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
While not exactly zero float, I use the Shimano PD-M647 pedals. With the plastic platform around it, I have very little actual float which is what I was after. I hate float too and regular SPDs always drove me crazy. This is a good compromise for me.
Old 01-29-20, 11:42 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
You can tune Speedplay Zeros to float as much or as little as you want. Additionally, you can tune where they float. For me, than means I can lock my right heel away from rubbing the crank. It's a pretty cool design.

I imagine it would be fine for most gravel (dual sided even) as long as you got the walking cleat. You would need road shoes.

They absolutely would NOT work for mud, sand, fine gravel, or longer distances walking. So depending on your use, may not work.

If you think you might want a pair, I have some, with J&L titanium spindles and spare chromoly spindles, relatively new cleats, and shoe adapters. You'd only need to get the aero/walkable yellow things for the cleats. I'd make you a killer deal if you are interested.
​​​​
Old 01-29-20, 04:21 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Speedplay Syzr ?
These looked very interesting...at first. But have digging into them, they just seemed overly complicated, and did have the performance to match.

Originally Posted by chadtrent
While not exactly zero float, I use the Shimano PD-M647 pedals. With the plastic platform around it, I have very little actual float which is what I was after. I hate float too and regular SPDs always drove me crazy. This is a good compromise for me.
Another issue that I have is; I have to run 6mm of shims on my left cleat. So, I don't benefit from the added traction of a platform. Which was also a main reason from me not wanting to run mtb shoes/pedals...the cleats and contact patch are so much smaller than a road cleat, which means a massive loss of stability when using shims. Throw in large degrees of float, and it becomes a very unpleasant feeling.

Originally Posted by rosefarts
You can tune Speedplay Zeros to float as much or as little as you want. Additionally, you can tune where they float. For me, than means I can lock my right heel away from rubbing the crank. It's a pretty cool design.

I imagine it would be fine for most gravel (dual sided even) as long as you got the walking cleat. You would need road shoes.

They absolutely would NOT work for mud, sand, fine gravel, or longer distances walking. So depending on your use, may not work.

If you think you might want a pair, I have some, with J&L titanium spindles and spare chromoly spindles, relatively new cleats, and shoe adapters. You'd only need to get the aero/walkable yellow things for the cleats. I'd make you a killer deal if you are interested.
​​​​
Thanks for the offer, but this is the whole reason I decide to switch to a mbt setup. Otherwise I'd still be running my road shoes/pedals on my gravel bike.

I ended up ordering the Crank Brothers Candy 7 pedals, as it seem like my only viable option...time will tell how they hold up.
Old 01-29-20, 06:40 PM
CainV

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe with most, if not all, Crank Bros pedals, all you need is to use the zero float cleats.
Old 01-30-20, 07:05 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by CainV
I believe with most, if not all, Crank Bros pedals, all you need is to use the zero float cleats.
I tried them and while they didn't float as much as their standard cleats, they did still float. Even though they claimed not to.
Old 01-31-20, 06:35 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by chadtrent
I tried them and while they didn't float as much as their standard cleats, they did still float. Even though they claimed not to.
I just tried them...they are not even close to zero float and the release tension is so low, that it's pretty much nonexistent.

I guess my search for pedals continues.
Old 02-06-20, 08:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I believe your cour current Shimano pedals will have zero float if you use the Zero Floal cleats instead of the full float ones.
Old 02-06-20, 09:09 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I believe your cour current Shimano pedals will have zero float if you use the Zero Floal cleats instead of the full float ones.
There are only two types of SPD cleats - standard and multi-directional release- that I am aware of...where are you seeing a zero float option?
Old 02-10-20, 09:07 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
There are only two types of SPD cleats - standard and multi-directional release- that I am aware of...where are you seeing a zero float option?
Ah, you are correct, I was thinking of the Shimano road pedals and cleats. For the SPD you are correct that there is just a choice of release type, not float...
Old 02-11-20, 10:50 AM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
You don't want ZERO float, you want something without free float, that rapidly ramps up the spring rate. You might like road pedals more because of the flat back as well as Speedplay road pedals that you can lock down. I didn't like the feel of crank bros in any case.
Usually the float is controlled by the cleat. I don't think ANY MTB cleat is wide enough to feel like you have zero float. I'd borrow a set of someone's shimano road cleat /pedal with the flat back side and start there. Maybe you can try it at the LBS.
Old 02-11-20, 03:13 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by jfranci3
You don't want ZERO float, you want something without free float, that rapidly ramps up the spring rate. You might like road pedals more because of the flat back as well as Speedplay road pedals that you can lock down. I didn't like the feel of crank bros in any case.
Usually the float is controlled by the cleat. I don't think ANY MTB cleat is wide enough to feel like you have zero float. I'd borrow a set of someone's shimano road cleat /pedal with the flat back side and start there. Maybe you can try it at the LBS.
I run zero float (and I mean ZERO float) on my road bike, and it works extremely well for me. I initially used my road pedals/shoes on my gravel bike, but quickly realized that it was not a very wise idea...thus the MTB setup.
I'm really struggling with them right now, but I guess it's just something that I'll have to learn to live with.