Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hi end frameset descriptions/comedy gold

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 12:10 AM
viros20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

these are all real descriptions from the manufactures found online. I found them pretty funny, except Treks who need to step it up a bit.

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 Frameset

Drop 'em on the climbs, gutter 'em on the flats, distance 'em on descents — embarrass your competition with Specialized's S-Works Tarmac SL3 Frameset. Its superlative FACT 11r-carbon frame and fork have been run through the ringer by the Saxo Bank and Quick-Step ProTour squads, putting riders atop podiums across the world. You'll love its lightning-quick accelerations, feathery lightness and the Specialized S-Works carbon post, too. In fact, the S-Works is so fast you may start getting knocks on your door from the UCI.

Cannondale SuperSix HI-MOD

Ever dream of riding the best climbing bike to the top of Tourmalet? Sprinting for the green jersey with a bike possessed of unmatched efficiency?

It's possible on a SuperSix. When one rolls up to the line, heads turn. It's a harbinger of victory and is pro-Tour proven, constructed entirely of HI-MODulus, unidirectional carbon fiber that's tuned for the most precise, efficient ride available today.

Madone 6.9 SSL WSD

Lighter, faster, better. That was Trek's goal in creating their best-of-the-best Madone 6.9 SSL WSD. Handmade from OCLV2 SSL carbon, the frame is brutally efficient and amazingly light. Connecting the gorgeous frame to the fork is an E2 tapered head tube for scalpel-like steering. Flowing down, the down tube joins with an insanely stout 90mm-wide BB. This gives you the stiffest possible platform to launch attacks. Perhaps the most ingenious piece on this bike is the integrated seatmast that reduces weight and smooths the road underneath you for sublime comfort. A frameset of this level deserves only the best. It's loaded with top-of-the-line Bontrager XXX Lite carbon wheels, a full Dura-Ace gruppo and Race XXX Lite stem and bars that add the finishing touches of class.
Old 02-18-11, 12:17 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In some of Trek's printed propaganda, they call their frame a fuselage, repeatedly. I'm not sure how many of us are qualified for those
Old 02-18-11, 12:23 AM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't wait until next year when they add photon torpedos, ion cannons and a free Energizer Bunny with every frame.

The Madone description is hysterical when you list all the adjectives.
Old 02-18-11, 12:30 AM
Mr. Cranky
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean like this?

Old 02-18-11, 12:37 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing beats the guys in the field for humor as they try to explain why they do what they do. Markus is in a league by himself.

Old 02-18-11, 12:50 AM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never get an engineer to write advertising copy and never get an ad man to design a mechanical device.
Old 02-18-11, 12:56 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Specialized need to step it up: I thought they'd be on at least 1002934r carbon by now.

Cannondale lost it when they used the word 'harbinger' in their promotion. Man, that just doesn't sound right.

I didn't read the Trek, too much text. Can't we just go back to 'mission statements' instead?
Old 02-18-11, 03:23 AM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tone, tradition and innovation. Fender’s new American Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS is for guitarists who want a little more. A compound radius fretboard allows effortless string bending anywhere along the neck, and two N3 Noiseless™ pickups provide improved Stratocaster tones while the DH-1 humbucking bridge pickup has more output for fatter lead tones; all with no hum. Reconfigured S-1™ switching offers other distinctive tonal options. The “passing lane” switch instantly routes your signal from any pickup position to the bridge position with the tone circuit bypassed, giving you more overtones and a little more volume. Other features include staggered locking tuners, LSR roller nut, two-point synchronized American Deluxe tremolo bridge with pop-in arm, and beveled neck heel.
Old 02-18-11, 07:09 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is how they get paid for their sponsorship of cycling teams. They totaly dismissed the fact that it is the rider that pushes the machine to the victories.
Old 02-18-11, 08:28 AM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
That is how they get paid for their sponsorship of cycling teams. They totaly dismissed the fact that it is the rider that pushes the machine to the victories.
Amen to that.
Old 02-18-11, 08:55 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADSR
Tone, tradition and innovation. <snip>
??? I don't see anything bad about that guitar ad copy; it's basically a laundry list of the features of the guitar. Not a lot of hype, really.
Old 02-18-11, 10:16 AM
alanknm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about this ? https://www.saliko.de/en/saliko/index.html
Old 02-18-11, 10:32 AM
Mouserue
Training Wheels

Bikes: '06 Felt F2c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's like a monster truck you can pour into your face!

It's got ELECTROLYTES!!! What are electrolytes? I don't know but they're extremly AWESOME. And Brawndo is full of them! And they help plants grow, which is why you should drink BRAWNDO not water because water is from the toliet and I've never seen plants grow out of a toilet....

It's got caffeine. SUPER EXTRA CAFFEINE! And five kinds of sugar, which makes it DELICIOUS, and much better than other energy drinks that are NOT DELICIOUS.

Drinking it will make you wonder why you haven't crushed a human skull, with your BARE HANDS. But you won't have to because you'll already know what Brawndo TASTES, how that would FEEL, which is like having sex with a tractor-trailer in a parking lot!

GRRRRRRRRR!

I just split my pants like the incredible hulk, see that Brawndo will make you need new pants, and while you're out buying new pants you should buy new shoes, because you're going to wear out your shoes from KICKING EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME! Brawndo will make you want to KICK EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME, which might be good or bad, either way you're going to win, because Brawndo will make you WIN in things you're not supposed to win at! Like YELLING, Brawndo will make you WIN AT YELLING or maybe instead of YELLING something else, like JUMPING, or WAVING, because you'll be able to wave your hands REALLY FAST, and you'll probably become INVISIBLE which doesn't even make any sense.

But if that doesn't happen you'll probably just end up RUNNING SOMEWHERE, which is good if you like RUNNING, but even if you don't run it'll make you WIN AT EXERCISE.
Old 02-18-11, 10:58 AM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Guru's Photon video is the most pretentious piece of poo I've ever seen when it comes to advertising, like 6 guys sitting around a table tooting their own horns about a frame which has been greatly heavier than claimed weight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMOBMCwTJtM
Old 02-18-11, 11:04 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Fuzzy logic and creative marketing. Simply a way to justify making the 2011 bikes more expensive than the 2010 bikes. You see the same nonsensical hype in golf clubs, tennis/racquetball rackets, car tires, athletic shoes, baseball bats and gloves...
Old 02-18-11, 11:18 AM
Crimsonghost

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mouserue
It's like a monster truck you can pour into your face!

It's got ELECTROLYTES!!! What are electrolytes? I don't know but they're extremly AWESOME. And Brawndo is full of them! And they help plants grow, which is why you should drink BRAWNDO not water because water is from the toliet and I've never seen plants grow out of a toilet....

It's got caffeine. SUPER EXTRA CAFFEINE! And five kinds of sugar, which makes it DELICIOUS, and much better than other energy drinks that are NOT DELICIOUS.

Drinking it will make you wonder why you haven't crushed a human skull, with your BARE HANDS. But you won't have to because you'll already know what Brawndo TASTES, how that would FEEL, which is like having sex with a tractor-trailer in a parking lot!

GRRRRRRRRR!

I just split my pants like the incredible hulk, see that Brawndo will make you need new pants, and while you're out buying new pants you should buy new shoes, because you're going to wear out your shoes from KICKING EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME! Brawndo will make you want to KICK EVERYONES ASS ALL THE TIME, which might be good or bad, either way you're going to win, because Brawndo will make you WIN in things you're not supposed to win at! Like YELLING, Brawndo will make you WIN AT YELLING or maybe instead of YELLING something else, like JUMPING, or WAVING, because you'll be able to wave your hands REALLY FAST, and you'll probably become INVISIBLE which doesn't even make any sense.

But if that doesn't happen you'll probably just end up RUNNING SOMEWHERE, which is good if you like RUNNING, but even if you don't run it'll make you WIN AT EXERCISE.
it's got what cows crave.
Old 02-18-11, 11:34 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah. Ad copy is mostly meaningless.

"The Intel® Core™ i7 processor delivers best-in-class performance for the most demanding applications. This quad-core processor features 8-way multitasking capability and additional L3 cache. With adaptive performance and built-in visual capabilities this 2nd generation processor brings more intelligence to your PC"

or

"Runners know and love the Vomero for its plush, responsive cushioning. Like its predecessor, the Zoom Vomero+ 5 features heel and forefoot Nike Zoom units, along with a full-length, soft midsole for responsive cushioning and durability."

Yeah.
Old 02-18-11, 11:39 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
haha, this thread makes me love my steel bike even more
Old 02-18-11, 11:49 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
haha, this thread makes me love my steel bike even more
Yehuda?
Old 02-18-11, 11:53 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
"Laterally stiff and vertically compliant"
Old 02-18-11, 11:56 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
"Laterally stiff and vertically compliant"
Well, it sounds dirty when said like that.
Old 02-18-11, 12:24 PM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
??? I don't see anything bad about that guitar ad copy; it's basically a laundry list of the features of the guitar. Not a lot of hype, really.
I mostly picked it for the jargon. There are some seriously embarrassing product descriptions for musical instruments out there.
Old 02-18-11, 12:49 PM
ADSR
Gentlemen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found one. They are running out of things to say about the same effects.

Introducing Tremonti Phaser, a classic phase shifter for our time
Warped. Swirling. Twisted. Spacey. It isn’t easy finding words to describe the sound of a classic phase shifter. But the last 30 years of rock music wouldn’t be the same without it, and each age of rock and roll has had its own master of shape-shifting sound.

Signature sound
To create the new T-Rex phase-shifter, we teamed up with one of our time’s masters: Alter Bridge and former Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti. A devoted T-Rex user, Mark was looking for the perfect phaser to add to his onstage arsenal, and we’ve come up with a pedal he’s proud to endorse. Tremonti sets a new standard for gorgeous phased sound.

Perfect control
Tremonti Phaser delivers everything you expect in a phaser and then some. The Stage switch lets you choose between a raw, vintage-sounding effect and a richer, more modern swirl. And the ingenious Bite knob adds a sexy overdrive edge to any setting. Fast or slow, deep or shallow, vintage or modern, Tremonti Phaser delivers extraordinary-sounding phased modulation that will take your playing to another world.

And one from Vanilla Cycles' Sacha White:

It's not about the bike. Ok, at first it is, it really is, but eventually it's about a partnership. You, with your desire to look up and confidently love the long and challenging road in front of you, and your bike, a well designed machine providing efficient and easy access to what you need where you need it - From low rider rack braze-ons, fender mounts, and pump pegs, to thoughtful little details like spoke holders.

Vanilla touring bikes are stable and dependable and practically intuit the journey ahead. Whether you're winding your way up a mountain pass or happily spinning across a desert, your Vanilla is an indispensable, reliable and trustworthy companion.
Old 02-18-11, 01:29 PM
Mr. Cranky
No, not really.

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, ~2006 Specialized Sequoia, 1999 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
Nothing beats the guys in the field for humor as they try to explain why they do what they do. Markus is in a league by himself.
I found that video quite interesting and informative. There's no single "best" way to do things.
Old 02-18-11, 01:43 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cranky
There's no single "best" way to do things.
Oh there most certainly is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.