Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Poseidon X Gravel Bike

Old 04-20-23, 10:01 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Other than the defective stems on the Poseidon's you checked what makes the Poseidon less desirable than a brand name bike at a couple hundred more? I am in the market and honestly want to know.
Every part on the bike is just about the absolute cheapest. The parts may technically function, but they are really cheap. If you search the forum you will find several stories of Poseidon owners that could not ride their bike for months because they could not get even a replacement derailleur hanger from Poseidon. And if you look at all of the work and upgrades people do themselves to improve the tires, brakes, cables (galvanized steel, not stainless), housing shifters, seat, tubeless setup, thru axles, lighter wheels etc. you will find they spend as much or more than if they bought a low-end Salsa Journeyer (starting at $1029) or an aluminum Giant Revolt ($1350). And if you bought it from a dealer, they take care of spongy brakes, warped rotors, getting you the right size, handling any warranty issues personally for you, assembly, proper adjustment and safety check, etc. What little you save on a Poseidon up front is easily spent on upgrades, and with a Poseidon you do the work yourself. I suggest you at least shop around first and go to a dealer that stocks Salsa or Giant and take a look at least at what they have to offer before you buy anything. Their entry level gravel bikes are basic but solid and well made and just a little more expensive...

As FYI, I own a bike shop and sell Salsa and Giant as well as other brands. There are other entry level name brand options out there too but I am most familiar with Giant and Salsa as they have price-competitive options for you to consider. I am not selling you a bike so I have no skin in the game, but I am providing an answer to your question based on a lot of experience working on several thousand bikes at our shop every year. We work on all bikes including Poseidon and have assembled and tuned new Poseidon bikes for online purchasers ($80 fee).

Common problems we have seen on a new Poseidon include wheel hub bearings way too tight, headset bearings improperly adjusted, warped brake rotors, misaligned brake calipers, defective stems (mentioned above), spongy brakes, improper brake cable adjustment, derailleurs out of adjustment and stops not set, front derailleur too high/low and/or twisted, etc.

Granted we occasionally see these problems when we assemble a new brand name bike, but we always have a professional mechanic find and fix them as part of the assemble and tune process dealers perform free for any new bike purchase. With a Poseidon you are on your own to find and fix these problems unless you take it to a bike shop and pay them to assemble and tune the bike for you.

Last edited by dwmckee; 04-27-23 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-21-23, 06:43 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Every part on the bike is just about the absolute cheapest. The parts may technically function, but they are really cheap. If you search the forum you will find several stories of Poseidon owners that could not ride their bike for months because they could not get even a replacement derailleur hanger from Poseidon. And if you look at all of the work and upgrades people do themselves to improve the tires, brakes, cables, shifters, seat, tubeless setup, thru axles, lighter wheels etc. you will find they spend as much or more than if they bought a low-end Salsa Journeyer (starting at $1029) or an aluminum Giant Revolt ($1350). And if you bought it from a dealer, they take care of spongy brakes, warped rotors, getting you the right size, handling any warranty issues personally for you, assembly, proper adjustment and safety check, etc. What little you save on a Poseidon up front is easily spent on upgrades, and with a Poseidon you do the work yourself. I suggest you at least shop around first and go to a dealer that stocks Salsa or Giant and take a look at least at what they have to offer before you buy anything. Their entry level gravel bikes are basic but solid and well made and just a little more expensive...

As FYI, I own a bike shop and sell Salsa and Giant as well as other brands. There are other entry level name brand options out there too but I am most familiar with Giant and Salsa as they have price-competitive options for you to consider. I am not selling you a bike so I have no skin in the game, but I am providing an answer to your question based on a lot of experience working on several thousand bikes at our shop every year. We work on all bikes including Poseidon and have assembled and tuned new Poseidon bikes for online purchasers ($80 fee).

Common problems we have seen on a new Poseidon include wheel hub bearings way too tight, headset bearings improperly adjusted, warped brake rotors, misaligned brake calipers, defective stems (mentioned above), spongy brakes, improper brake cable adjustment, derailleurs out of adjustment and stops not set, front derailleur too high/low and/or twisted, etc.

Granted we occasionally see we see these problems when we assemble a new brand name bike, but we always have a professional mechanic find and fix them as part of the assemble and tune process dealers perform free for any new bike purchase. With a Poseidon you are on your own to find and fix these problems unless you take it to a bike shop and pay them to assemble and tune the bike for you.
Thank you for the well thought out answer. Unfortunately, I have one, not so good bike shop an hour away. The next closest is over 2 hours' drive one way. Since it's not exactly convenient to have a shop mechanic work on my bike I have had to learn. Defective parts I would be disappointed about but I would do all the adjustments myself and I've had to do them of bikes that had just left the not so good shop before.

I will however be looking into the models you suggested as close in price and making comparisons as much as possible. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-23, 04:41 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Cool. I would not rule out the Poseidon, but hopefully this forum makes you better informed so you can make broader consideration for whatever is the best decision for your overall situation. Some of our Poseidon customers are satisfied with their purchases, though sometimes I wonder if they made their purchase decision without enough knowledge about the other options available.
Old 04-29-23, 03:59 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Two Poseidon bike repairs came in the shop this week and I feel like I just have to warn folks about this.

One was in the repair stand and we noticed the right side of the handlebar seemed lower than the left. At first we thought it had been crashed and the bars were bent but we could not find any evidence of a crash. We kept investigating and finally clamped the seat tube vertical with a level in the stand, held the steering perfectly straight, then measured across the bars with a level and by measuring from the bar ends to the ground. The bars were clearly crooked with the right side end almost an inch lower than the left side. Then we checked out the other Poseidon we had in the shop and found it was crooked in the same way by almost the same amount! We were unable to determine if the heat tube was welded crooked in the frame or if the stem was flawed, but both bikes were almost identically crooked.

There are other low-cost but good quality gravel bikes out there like the entry level Salsa Journeyer (Advent, Claris, Acolyte and Altus models as low as $1,029) that are just a couple hundred bucks more expensive than the Poseidon. I suggest considering these bikes as an alternative to the Poseidon as they may be a huge jump up in quality for a reasonable amount of additional money.
Been away from the BF forums for 5 months - lots to do, and doing is way more fun than typing about it.
but back on BF, relaxing after a fun longer ride on my X... cold, overcast, but no flooding/tornados/hail or crushed roof from too much snow... LOL! I do feel for all those who had their lives turned upside down by the climate/weather issues...

on topic - if the stems are 'defective' in alignment, the owners should contact Poseidon and come to agreed solution.
For the brief period I rode the stock bars and stem, I didn;t note an axial alignment issue. I did remove both, because I dislike 'flared' bars and also wanted a shockstop stem - nothing related to the parts reliability.
Poseidon X is not a perfect bike - for me. But is about the only 1x stock bike for under $1500... I wanted 1X, and Advent X has been great, reliable, sturdy, comfy.
It has a very 'road bike' feel and handling. Which I appreciate and like. I don;t have much in the way of 'gravel' roads in my area. It's predominantly MTB Lite, with some tech sections. So quick handling is an advantage. It's more fun than my mtb hardtail. I've done about 32 days of around 20+- miles each, mtb type trails. and the bike rides and functions great.
Certainly there are other bikes out there, and I spent quite a bit of time and effort into researching before deciding on the X.
I found that to get 'better' bike I'd have to be spending more than double the X cost, and still have to do the parts replacements I did on the X.
Good to know when an issue arises, so all us X owners should check our stems, and if the problem exists - contact Poseidon for resolution.
Otherwise
Ride on
Yuri
Old 04-29-23, 06:19 PM
dwmckee

Salsa Journeyer Advent 1x $999.
Journeyer Advent 700c | Salsa Cycles
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 04-30-23, 10:05 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Salsa Journeyer Advent 1x $999.

Journeyer Advent 700c | Salsa Cycles
Nice looking bike !

Pretty much the same level components as the regular & Ambition X, except for 9 spd Advent vs 10 for the X. But still, prolly a v nice bike for the cost.

Well above anything which one might find in a BigBox. Certainly all have excellent build, and commensurate with the price, components and features which make them a good value.

So does your 'quote' from your earlier post apply to the Salsa as well ? "Every part on the bike is just about the absolute cheapest. The parts may technically function, but they are really cheap."

Every one has an agenda... I have always and continue to recommend buying from a bike shop, preferable in-person, so you can make your best assessment of what you're getting. But 'mail order' from a respected source is a good option, when 'local' is not possible for what you'd want.

If a buyer is really not well versed in Bike mechanics or proper adjustment, then 'local bike shop' seems the best way to assure a good purchase outcome.

If they have some mech skills, willing to do basic adjustments and willing to find the information needed, then buying 'mail order' is certainly ok, to get what they're wanting.

I have about 40 rides on my X (original, not 'ambition X') about 450-500 mi. of rugged terrain, not your average gravel road. Very suitable for mtb...

The bike has performed well, without an issues. Requiring only regular cleaning and maintenance. I will note the front wheel cone bearings were a hair tight - but I'm wheel-picky, and it was a simple, quick readjust. Usually not a consideration for sealed bearing hubs...

Glad to see manufacturers have responded to this market segment - quality modern gravel bike spec at a $1k or less level. Not everyone has or wants to spend well over that.

I had back in Aug., when I had some contact with you, wanted to send the 'X' to Germany, to have available at my family home in Germany, when over there.

Found out the shipping cost was prohibitive $450+. Crazy... So I decided to keep. And find something over there. I checked with every Bike shop within 200km of my town, and NONE had any gravel bikes in my size. So I was lucky to check Decathlon. And noted they just had their last shipment of Triban Grvl 120 bikes on hand, and ordered one from their German stores.

720 euros at the time... arrived 2 days after I arrived...

Another Great Value bike ! Very similiar to the Poseidon X in most ways. Excellent components and rides very nice. Put about 600km on it, in 20 days (I rode 6 days a week). 50/50 road and forest trail/path - nothing of any particular technical nature, but plenty of short and steep. No issues, problems and I didn;t baby the bike or ride. Can't speak to Decathlon 'customer service', since I had no issues.

Crazy was, the bike came almost completely assembled in the box, back wheel in place and fully adjusted. pop on the front wheel. attached handle bars, slide seatpost/saddle in and adjust to height. pop on the pedals (or put on your own...) and ride away... Wheels were well adjusted... LOL! A very nice riding bike, good handling on and off road.

Just noted the Triban Grvl 120 is now 400 euros more cost this year... I still think it's a good bike, but possible there are other bikes at that price point.

Anyway, I would consider any of these bikes a great option for anyone who wants a modern 'gravel' bike at this price range.

... you should do well with that Salsa model...

gonna be an interesting season out here in Ca. the Heavy rains have turned many routes into more 'technical' terrain, due to heavy water erosion to what were mostly easy sections. Some real mtb style fun!

Ride On !

Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-04-23, 11:28 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Salsa Journeyer Advent 1x $999. Journeyer Advent 700c | Salsa Cycles
That frame only has a 3 year warranty, uses single piston brake calipers, comes with an alloy fork and is stuck with QR only. The newer Ambition X has dual piston brake calipers, carbon fork and can be converted to thru-axle by the owner or at the time of purchase. Plus the frames are warranted for the lifetime of the original owner. I also believe they're running $100 off bikes right now, so that brings the Ambition X drop bar version down to $799 and the flat bar $699.

https://www.poseidonbike.com/product...bition-dropbar

Last I heard, Poseidon was looking for local bike shops to stock their bikes, why don't you contact them and see if can be an authorized dealer and get direct support?
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 05-11-23, 11:58 AM
Gowers

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I am currently considering Poseidon X Ambition, medium size, purchase, how does bike ride: either on top of bike or in the bike feel due to upright bike geometry? Due to 20" seat post and short top tube length, I am concerned rider (5'8" and 140 lbs.) will ride more upright position, on top of bike, instead of in the bike feel. Please respond to my concern. Thanks
Old 05-11-23, 12:06 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Gowers
As I am currently considering Poseidon X Ambition, medium size, purchase, how does bike ride: either on top of bike or in the bike feel due to upright bike geometry? Due to 20" seat post and short top tube length, I am concerned rider (5'8" and 140 lbs.) will ride more upright position, on top of bike, instead of in the bike feel. Please respond to my concern. Thanks
I can't comment on the Ambition, but the original X makes you feel more on top of the bike as opposed to being "in" the bike. Feels good on the flats, but not as good for climbing in my opinion. I'd presume the slacker top tube on the Ambition should give it a more in the bike cockpit feel.
Old 05-12-23, 03:43 PM
Gowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for update. Your right about the Revolt. After checking geometry of both Ambition X and original X, there is slight difference like stand over height, effective and top tube length. I assume Ambition X would also ride in an upright position, but better at hill climbing. Most gravel and fast fitness city bikes like Giant Escape disc and Trek FX disc have an in-the-bike or aggressive geometry similar to a MTB bikes.
Old 07-27-23, 09:35 AM
DeoreDX

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I keep on eyeballing the Original Poseidon X not the X ambition. I've been wanting a road bike but have considered gravel bikes as well. I want the more aggressive geometry because my use case is more of a road bike (80%) I can use wide tires on and occasionally ride on gravel (20%). I have a big 2.5" tired 29r I use for bike packing and rough gravel and single track with 11-51t with 36t chainring mountain bike gearing. I even thing that's geared way too low I never use the bottom 3 cogs (51-45-39). My use case will be as a road bike (don't own a road bike so this will be my primary road bike) with occasional 1-2 mile gravel section to cut between roads. I think the gearing is way too low and gear spacing too wide for the road. The road bike I have been borrowing has 11-30 cassette with 54/35 chainrings. I'm thinking 44t ring with the new sword 11-38t 10 speed would hit the sweet spot for me gearing wise. sacrificing a bit of range for better spacing in my sweet spot range I spend much of my time pedaling (15-21t).Would have a low gear I would actually use on occasion gives me just enough tall gearing to hit mid 35's on the street.
Old 07-27-23, 10:27 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
jeeze that Salsa that mckee posted is on sale now for $799.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 07-28-23, 09:27 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I can't comment on the Ambition, but the original X makes you feel more on top of the bike as opposed to being "in" the bike. Feels good on the flats, but not as good for climbing in my opinion. I'd presume the slacker top tube on the Ambition should give it a more in the bike cockpit feel.
Thanks for update. Your right about the Revolt. After checking geometry of both Ambition X and original X, there is slight difference like stand over height, effective and top tube length. I assume Ambition X would also ride in an upright position, but better at hill climbing. Most gravel and fast fitness city bikes like Giant Escape disc and Trek FX disc have an in-the-bike or aggressive geometry similar to a MTB bikes.
1st, the Original Std X is definitely more of a 'Road/Endurance' type geometry & ride feel (one thing I really like about the X). The newer X Ambition is definitely more in line with common 'Gravel/Transition' type geometry. More of what translates to 'In the Bike' feel.
Some things about geometry which affect that 'feel'. Most road/race type geo has a 'square' type of geometry, commonly some variation around 73/73 deg. head and seat angles. Both varying a bit. 'Endurance' can commonly use 73 seat and 72 head. Gravel commonly is currently 73 or a bit more seat angle and around 71 head angle. Now this combines with the 'effective' stack of the frame (head stock length) + stem angle/length and additional height of any added spacers and fork Hub to crown and rake. Additionally, Bottom Bracket Height or 'Drop' also will affect that 'feel', there's more but too much for here.
All this combines to create the 'Front Center' of the frame.
The 'In the Bike' feel comes from, mainly, greater 'Front Center' combined with higher effective stack. Road/race bikes have a more 'Over/On Top of Bike' feel, from shorter Front Center and lower Effective Stack.
So, here, look at those things here - a comparison of 4 bikes - Poseidon X , X Ambition, Cannondale Topstone & Synapse (Road Endurance type). Tried to use Giant Revolt, but those numbers didn't have 'Front Center' to compare. Used Synapse to show some 'Road' number reflecting the 'Endurance' type.
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/c...n-4-2022-54cm/
A difference of just 5mm can be felt, 1+ cm is quite noticeable on Front Center. Also how high the bars are placed (and how far fore or aft) will affect the 'On top of' vs the 'In the Bike' feel.
There's no question, with just the 'Stock' setup of the X and X Ambition, the X Ambition will have a substantially greater 'In the Bike' feel, very similar to many other Gravel bikes which might exhibit that.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - also, given close numbers in chainstay length, the additional or reduced Front Center can also be discerned as reflected in the Wheelbase number.
There's more... but too much for here...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-28-23 at 09:33 AM.