Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My top 10 pet peeves in bike mechanics

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My top 10 pet peeves in bike mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 06:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
i watched part, but gave up- guess i didn't want to know that bad...
+1
Old 10-15-19, 09:49 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm not sure why people make 20 minute videos to convey something I could read in print in a couple of minutes.

Interested enough to click on the topic, but not enough to invest that much time.

But I'm an old guy who virtually never watches videos, so I may be out of touch.
Yeah, I get pretty long winded, but I don't know how much sense each topic would make without some explanation, but I'll list them out in a bit...
Old 10-15-19, 10:03 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Watched for 2 minutes then couldn't take it anymore, which is a shame since I am interested. I wish, instead of a video showing you riding and rambling on, you just listed your points in text. That way I could have read, understood, and probably provided some good comments in that same 2 minutes. I really hope you consider doing this, because like I said, I am interested.
Ok, this is the list in a nutshell:
1- The mindset of the inability to think outside the box, working like a robot, unable to be curious and embrace new technologies.
2- Starting at the age of the handle bar then taping drop bars.
3- A wide glob of finishing tape when taping drop bars.
4- Too long or too short brake and shift cable housings, as well as brake hoses.
5- Long inner brake or shift cable excess past the anchor bolt.
6- Missing or wrong grease application
7- The slang word "brifter".
8- Clamping a bike into a bicycle repair stand anywhere other than the seat post.
9- Applying chain lube 1 roller at a time.
10- Truing a wheel in a truing stand with 1 of the caliper arms held out of the way or removed altogether.
Old 10-15-19, 10:22 PM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Ok, we mostly agree that this video is insufferable. Let's learn something. What are the traits that make it so? I'll start:

1) A long, rambling, uninteresting introduction about stuff that's not on topic

2) Poor production values (sound, etc)

3) Idiotic setting (why do this video while your on a bike? Stupid!)

What else?

And if you make a video, you can use the list to know what to avoid.
Ouch!

Chill out man, it's not like I asked you to retire your Shimano 7700 brifters!

I'm sorry the video was insufferable to you, but let me explain. I like making videos, I'm not great at it, but I'm trying to get better. Generally the bike related videos I make are in more of a shop type setting. However, the past few weeks have been extremely busy at the shop where I work, so I haven't had much opportunity to make any.

A couple hours+ of my day is commuting by bike to work, so in my mind, I thought the idiotic setting would be a great idea! You know, riding my bike while simultaneously making a video! Genius is what I originally thought.

I admit, the execution is pretty bad (poor audio at times and nausea inducing shakiness), but I feel like the topic is worthwhile.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-15-19, 10:52 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Ok, this is the list in a nutshell:
1- The mindset of the inability to think outside the box, working like a robot, unable to be curious and embrace new technologies.
4- Too long or too short brake and shift cable housings, as well as brake hoses.
6- Missing or wrong grease application
8- Clamping a bike into a bicycle repair stand anywhere other than the seat post.
10- Truing a wheel in a truing stand with 1 of the caliper arms held out of the way or removed altogether.
I don't how you managed to get all that into only twenty minutes.
Old 10-15-19, 11:24 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.
I'm a consultant. If I don't address my client's interests within the first 15 seconds of a presentation, I lose my job.

One of my first bosses in consulting, Sam, was our CEO. I put together a presentation and he asked to see it. He'd only known me for 2 week. "That's the worst thing I've ever seen you do" was his comment. He then was kind enough to work with me on the thing for several hours to improve it. So my criticism wasn't meant to be cruel (although I did kind if get into making overly acerbic comments - sorry). It was meant to be critically useful.

One key thing I'd suggest you consider is whether your motivation or interest in making a video is relevant to the viewer's interest. "I've been thinking about making a video for a long time" is uninteresting and irrelevant with respect to the 10 top peeves in your title. The other thing is that you promise 10 top peeves, but your video starts out with several minutes (I don't know how many, I lost interest and stopped watching) of stuff that has nothing to do with 10 top peeves. This is bait and switch, and, to be blunt, is stealing your reader's time. That several minutes are minutes that viewers won't ever get back. So make every second of your video on-topic and interesting.

The great British historian Paul Johnson had a great pattern. 1) State a broad thesis about something in extremely clear, concise terms. 2) Give general, definitive data to support the thesis, and 3) Give interesting anecdotes. Something along those lines, where every sentence is either stating a peeve ("they always charger full price!"), or giving data ("Comparing twenty different items, the average price at my LBS was 24% higher for consumables and 17% higher for parts". ) , or anecdotes ("I bought a tire for $47 at the bike shop, and found it online for $37. I asked my LBS for a discount, and they wouldn't take anything off.").

A good video is NOT stream of consciousness. And a stream of consciousness video is not good and, as I state above, is incredibly inconsiderate and selfish - it steals my time. Plan your video out. Figure out your best venue (probably is not good to take the video on your bike, but if you must, edit it by adding screens of text and removing rambling verbiage). Script it. Edit the Script. Rehearse with a practice video. Get friends to critique it. Review that video to see where you can improve it. The re-record with all you've learned. Then you'll have a video that folks find useful and additive.

The guys at GCN make (IMHO) very good videos. Watch a few and get some ideas.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-19, 05:19 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
As Bill Shakespeare said, brevity is the soul of wit. I get the struggle to compress everything you want to put across into a couple of short minutes, but that is what it takes to keep viewers engaged.
Some of my own videos run on much longer than I would like, but I try to keep it moving along.
Youtube creators have lots of tools at our disposal in the analytics program, and you can monitor, among other things, what percentage of viewers stay engaged, and for how long.
If the video is packed with info all the way through, viewers will return to pick up where they left off, but if you don't engage them in the first few seconds, they are gone for good.
Old 10-16-19, 05:30 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yep, you want your best, most compelling stuff right at the beginning, use that to hook your viewer. Because if you save it for last, the viewer may no longer be around to see it. Maybe have something good saved for the end, but definitely not your best.

Also, I would suggest bullet points for organization of ideas into distinct topics.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 10-16-19 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 06:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Once Again, Editing...

The OP could have begun with a brief, tightly edited written list of professional peeves, AND THEN scripted, blocked out, and filmed a video to illustrate these things. That would have been good content.

I cannot see the video (thankfully) and offer the suggestion that this original post was meant to obtain "views" on the video platform. A form of click baiting.

My list of mechanical peeves:
- original assembly that is scant on bearing grease
- fiddly inexpensive mechanical disc calipers that resist alignment
- factory cabling cut too short
- modern inexpensive replacement derailleurs on otherwise original vintage bikes

Anyway, it's a short list. This is because bicycle mechanics is the art of problem solving. What would it be without problems? Routine? That sounds like no fun.
Old 10-16-19, 06:28 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Due to the waste of bandwith & time, you made my ignore list.
How's that for a review?
Old 10-16-19, 06:59 AM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
I don't how you managed to get all that into only twenty minutes.
It took a lot of editing!
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 10-16-19, 07:28 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I have one "peeve" about the OP's video. While I agree that using the seatpost as the clamping point for stands is the ideal, but what about situations where this isn't possible? Say a vintage steel frame where the seat post is more slammed into the frame ( i.e., the rider is using the "French Fit" approach) where are you going to clamp? Or if you have a more modern CF frame ( like a Trek Madone) that uses a NON-round, proprietary CF seat post? Are you supposed to have a race style stand (that holds by front dropouts and Bottom Bracket) as well as athe more standard clamp type stand? There are always situations where one is forced to use the less than ideal approaches.....
Old 10-16-19, 08:15 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Thanks for the condensed text version. Here are some of my comments:

Agree with this. Curiosity is a great teacher. I would expect that the decision to embrace new technologies is objective and they are not "embraced" just because they are new. There were a few new things (like the Shimano Front Freewheel system, that thankfully died a quick death.

I assume you mean at the end of the bar. I've taped both ways, but for the past few decades only tape from the end. My preference is based on preventing the tape from curling from hand pressure. I don't use tape at the tops. Instead I use some thick whipping cord. This provides a nice clean finish. In any case, bar taping is not something that I stress much about.

Yes, I agree. Nicely routed and sized cable housing makes a big difference. A bit of excess cable is always nice, but more than 35-40mm is too much.

Yes, don't much like the term either. I use "integrated brake/shifter" or STI if talking about a Shimano product. I'd add "cockpit" to the list. Makes me cringe when I hear it.

My preference as well, but not always possible.

I would do it no other way than 1 link at a time. This takes a bit more time, but results in a cleaner application with less mess.

I'm not sure why this would bother you, unless the reason is a poorly set up truing stand. Then I would be irritated by the laziness of the mechanic. I have a older Park TS2 that can be adjusted to center the arms. This does not eliminate the need for a dishing tool completely, though. I do reckon that there may be some wheels that are so out of dish that you may want to hold one of the arms out of the way, but in that case I would probably just move the whole caliper arm out of the way until I got it closer to centered.

Cheers