Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clipped by a Pickup

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clipped by a Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 05:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
not too late to sue. he went for you. there's no question.
Old 07-19-14, 05:48 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like the rear camera caught the license number. Is it clear on the original video?
Old 07-19-14, 05:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
also this is why you report being buzzed. it could save a life or a horrible accident like this. if the local Popo had a talk with this guys before hand he would be less inclined to be a repeat offender. physical bullies always escalate until major incident happens. very similar to serial ******* on college campuses.
Old 07-19-14, 05:58 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Wow! That was sobering! So glad you are here to tell us about it. Heal quick.
Old 07-19-14, 05:59 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Don't post anything else. Don't talk to his insurance company. Let your lawyer do your talking. Figure 2 to 3 years for the settlement to complete, but you'll get screwed otherwise.
Old 07-19-14, 06:04 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Holy crap!

Glad you survived and I hope you heal up quickly.
Old 07-19-14, 07:18 PM
aubiecat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow Metric Man, I am so glad you lived to tell the story! Man it made me nauseous to watch that.
You were very smart to start riding with cameras. I ride with two Contour Roam cameras for this very reason and this event reenforces my belief in them.
That guy NEEDS criminal charges brought against him and I hope you are able to sue the **** out of him.
Old 07-19-14, 08:39 PM
Walpurgisnacht

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a pretty terrifying video. If the guy took responsibility (as you claimed in an earlier post) then it certainly doesn't seem intentional... unless it was something that went farther than he intended. Still, how awful. I'm sorry to hear of your injuries, but as others have said, I'm glad you're alive.

It's things like this that make me cheer for developments like Google's self-driving car. Whether it's a foolish prank or a moment of irresponsibility (out comes the cellphone), people are terrible on the road...
Old 07-19-14, 11:45 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Man that was a high speed hit. Since he stopped I'd say he was drifting because he was distracted by something. Looking through the glove box or texting or something like that.

Scary stuff to watch. Glad you're alive anyway.
Old 07-20-14, 12:01 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank your lucky stars, your God, or Fate - an inch or two more towards you, and you would've been a goner.

What can one say about a driver who clearly knows what he had done, yet drives on? Are there not multiple charges leveled against him by the constabulary, (hit-and-run at least) or is this just another wild-west Texas tale? (Don't get me wrong, I've visited TX numerous times and enjoyed every visit.) I mean, it wasn't the truck driver who came to your aid, was it? The video shows another driver stopping and walking back to you. What, did he turn himself in?

I'm trying to picture the conversation between the police and this perp. Too many absurd imagined scripts, best left unsaid. "I think I might have hit something on the highway back there..."

If you cannot sue for at least criminal damages and pain-and suffering plus medical bills, then there is no justice there.

I'm glad you're alive to tell the tale. Careful with the pain meds. I know you'll be needing 'em!

Last edited by CrankyFranky; 07-20-14 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-20-14, 12:28 AM
Adcam

Bikes: Dahon mu uno, Surly Straggler Black

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what a video. Glad you are OK.
Old 07-20-14, 12:43 AM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, how horrific, just terrible. You survived one of my worst nightmares.

Heal quickly and completely. And hopefully, you'll get compensated fully for all your pain and suffering.
Old 07-20-14, 02:17 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
That is the most terrifying video I've seen since Rodan gave me nightmares when I was a child. Heel well, Metric Man. As others have mentioned, let your lawyer handle things. That's why you're paying him. Best to keep mum.

If I may ask, how do you mount your rear-facing GoPro? I have an extra, but have never run the it on the rear. Your horrific accident is a "wake up" call to all of us.

Note to self: NEVER ride my bike in Texas.
Old 07-20-14, 06:10 AM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
If I may ask, how do you mount your rear-facing GoPro? I have an extra, but have never run the it on the rear. Your horrific accident is a "wake up" call to all of us.

Note to self: NEVER ride my bike in Texas.
I use a RAM mount on the rear camera. Extremely versatile. RAM GoPro Camera Mount Kits
Old 07-20-14, 07:51 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How exactly would a lawyer do that?
Ask the phone company. If necessary get the court to ask the phone company.
Old 07-20-14, 08:16 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
A couple of observations, the hit was bad enough, what really pi**es me of, is the number of vehicles that went by without stopping. The other, he fessed up, but he thought about it for a bit, he should have been the first on the scene. There isn't any sign of him in the 3:00 give or take, his first thought was to keep going.

I really feel for you, hopefully it is a speedy and as little pain as possible recovery.

Fricken a**hats...
Old 07-20-14, 08:23 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Just horrible. So glad you're alive. I can't stand to watch the video a second time as it was pretty upsetting. Did he hit your rear wheel and send you and your bike flying, or did he brush you sideways? It also looked to me that it could have been intentional. Best of luck with the heeling process. A miracle that your injuries, while severe, were not life threatening. You'll live to ride again.
Old 07-20-14, 08:55 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't add anything unique but have to chime in on wishing you the best! I'm very thankful the outcome was not worse.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery!
Old 07-20-14, 09:00 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
A couple of observations, the hit was bad enough, what really pi**es me of, is the number of vehicles that went by without stopping. The other, he fessed up, but he thought about it for a bit, he should have been the first on the scene. There isn't any sign of him in the 3:00 give or take, his first thought was to keep going.
Despite many here thinking this was some type of deliberate action, the most likely scenario was that the driver just wasn't watching the road so he likely didn't see the accident and given the size of his truck probably didn't feel much either.

Had it been deliberate it's unlikely he would have stopped.

Still negligent and driving with undue care and attention that should net a reasonable length driving suspension.
Old 07-20-14, 09:16 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Despite many here thinking this was some type of deliberate action, the most likely scenario was that the driver just wasn't watching the road so he likely didn't see the accident and given the size of his truck probably didn't feel much either.

Had it been deliberate it's unlikely he would have stopped.

Still negligent and driving with undue care and attention that should net a reasonable length driving suspension.

I have to completely disagree.

Either he felt it or he didn't, If he didn't why did he end up stopping? If he did, why wasn't he first on the scene? You can hear the passing vehicles as the OP lay on the side of the road, it isn't like the first vehicle stopped and beat him to it.
Old 07-20-14, 09:37 AM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you have a rear view mirror? Or just the camera?
Old 07-20-14, 09:50 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I have to completely disagree.

Either he felt it or he didn't, If he didn't why did he end up stopping? If he did, why wasn't he first on the scene? You can hear the passing vehicles as the OP lay on the side of the road, it isn't like the first vehicle stopped and beat him to it.
It's a very simple explanation. He likely felt something but took some time to determine what had happened. By the time he/she realized what had happened they would have been a considerable distance from the accident site.

I'm not clear on what you're disagreeing with. Is it your thought that the driver deliberately tried to hit the rider and hurt/kill him but then had a change of heart and decided to stop? Sorry, but that doesn't pass the smell test.

Regarding the other vehicles that didn't stop, it's possible they didn't see the accident because they were shielded from view by the truck. Or they were also staring at their iPhones
Old 07-20-14, 09:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
We don't know the driver's mind when he clipped OP. That he did stop after does not imply that his driving was negligent rather than deliberate.

If he was buzzing cyclists deliberately, and struck him accidentally, stopping would be logical. Didn't intend to hit him, just to scare him, so stop and play it out.

An undirected drift in my experience is a smooth motion, sometimes a motion smoothly accelerating to the side of the drift. I saw an initial motion over the fog line, what looked like a correction and then a series of minor corrections. To me that implies control, which implies deliberate steering. It's possible that I'm wrong - I didn't examine the video closely. I'd bet that if you did analyze it, frame by frame and noting how the wheels are aligned, and the apparent direction, you might get something definitive.
Old 07-20-14, 10:21 AM
Gromit801

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How exactly would a lawyer do that?
With a court order in the discovery phase of a lawsuit.
Old 07-20-14, 11:01 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see only two scenarios. Distracted and horrible driving or an intentional buzz. If it was a buzz, he miscalculated and it hurt you. What he did not count on is video evidence. Trust me, you are still in the glad to be alive, it could have been worse phase. You have plenty of painful and restless nights and some mental and physical healing to do. It may be hard to get back on the road when you are feeling better. Your life is different now because of this.

Driver should be charged with failure to maintain his lane and distracted driving. If deemed to be intentional, the charges should be a long list. I would get an attorney and be patient and wait to see how it plays out.

Good luck and heal up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.